Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Layout change coming

LincLinc Site ownerDetroit Moderator
edited April 2012 in NewBuddhist.com
Just a heads up that a minor layout change is coming to the site today or perhaps in the coming weeks. The sidebar will be moving to the left side, and a few menus will change. I will be upgrading our forum software.

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    Thx for your continued work on the site.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Yes... thanks Lincoln.

• Cheers for the info. Although I do rather enjoy a surprise when I wake up and the last major changed here did entertain me for a few minutes :lol:
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Thank ya!
  • Emoticons?
  • yes yes yes! More emoticons please at some point. So many requests for that over the past month or so :rant:
    Granny
  • Yes, more emoticons.

Also, I don't know if you guys would want to implement this or not, but beside the quote/like buttons (or Member sign), maybe have it where it lists our religious affiliations.
    Granny
  • Wait sorry I don't quite unsersand what exactly you want to connote our religious affiliations. Can you elaborate please :D
  • edited April 2012
    For example, on our User Pages we can have our religious affiliations listed. On my page it says:
    Affiliation: Secular Humanist, Buddhist
    I was thinking, maybe take that and put it next to our names (beside where it says 'Member' or something) on the actual posts. So, if someone says something and gives their opinion, we know where they're coming from (like, if someone on here says they believe in literal rebirth. Well, are they Theravada, Tibetan, Zen, not Buddhists at all, etc?). I'm sure there'd be some way to implement it and look nice.
  • You could do that, but I do not think that every member would be happy with having that posted up, I am not certain of course but I would assume so. I dunno, I guess people can voiue their opinions. My point is that it is labeling and I don't think it is always a wise thing to do...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @Bekenze, Buddhism doesn't ascribe to labels. ;)

You can just tell everyone anyway.

We have more than enough emoticons.

I frequent one site that has 8.
    It has a membership of over 18,000.
    we manage.

Now, what I'd like to see - is numbered posts...... :)
  • @Bekenze, Buddhism doesn't ascribe to labels. ;)

You can just tell everyone anyway.

We have more than enough emoticons.

I frequent one site that has 8.
    It has a membership of over 18,000.
    we manage.

Now, what I'd like to see - is numbered posts...... :)
    Wow, federica you have changed your picture :o The world must be coming to an end!! But I agree with your idea of number of posts. I am sure this site use to have that actualy when I first was signed up here.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    OFF_TOPIC....

My picture, just to allay any concerns...

I have used it before.
    I recently used it on a website where a troll-poster was actually using the Nazi flag as his avatar.
    Now he was a piece of work - but I would deliberately look for threads where his had been the last post, and i commented directly after his... so people saw his avatar - but then they got mine, and I changed my signature to explain it.
    The feedback i got from other members was amazing, uplifting and extremely encouraging, and it roused a lot of healthy curiosity - in fact, if someone made a negative comment, so many members jumped on that, before I had a chance to respond!
    After the troll-jerk was banned, i changed it, but other posters actually protested and asked me to bring it back!

OK.
    BACK to TOPIC....
    changes afoot.... :)
  • I was tempted to post a rant about how the sidebar should remain on the right side and how dare you change it, are you discriminating against left-brain people? But some folks might take me seriously so I deleted it.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2012
    emoticon shopping list:

"heart"
    "Namaste" (praying hands) _/\_
    snooze
    ROFL
    group hug

Any forum that only has 8 emoticons is a party-pooper forum.

OK, maybe we could trade some of the ones we have that no one ever uses, for some new ones. No one ever uses "pirate", "zombie", or "werr" (whatever that's supposed to be, the one on far left, baring his teeth). We have an extra "thumbs-up" one, the pink one. That's 4 we could trade.

C'mon guys, please, please, pretty please? Other than those minor deficiencies, we do have a pretty cool collection....
    How can you have a Buddhist forum without a praying hands emoticon? Seriously. That's basic.

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    No one ever uses "pirate", "zombie", or "werr"
    And they're all the poorer for it. :P
  • You da man...
    :pirate: :zombie: :werr:

...Happy now? :sawed: :poke:
  • @dakini...I think we should throw in the towel on the emoticon petition, sweety.

Copy paste.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2012
    I had to give it my best shot.

We're not allowed to copy emoticons from elsewhere and post them here, fyi. It causes technical difficulties of some sort.

cool avatar, btw, @federica
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    I was with you on the emoticons - we really need a :shrug: and a :slap forehead:...

:shrug:
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Yeah, that's right--I forgot to include :shrug: on the list!
    :facepalm: slap forehead.....

for shrug i use either

:whatever:

or

:om:

whichever seems to 'fit' better.....
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    This genuinely made me laugh out loud :D I have many times in my life happily and willingly made do with socks with holes, drunk tvs and cars that sounded like tractors... but this is the first time I've had to 'make do' with a virtual object - e-eco-friendly cleansing goodness!!! hahaha - please, I want hand me down emoticons... :by 'eck lad: :rapscallion: and :gu'vnor:!!

I like this one :buck: not sure what it means but I'm going to use it more...
    "I am/you are such a goof-ball"

I think.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited April 2012
    for me it translates as :tell it to the teeth: - not sure what that translates into though :buck: :)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    We had a member named "Bucky" who used that one.
  • lol, I use to like using the bucky guy now and then, just for giggles. Kind of translates being happily stupid and ignorant IMO :buck:
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Maybe it means, "DUH!" :buck:
    I know what it means!
    It means -

"we have more than enough emoticons - why would you want more?!"
  • I know what it means!
    It means -

"we have more than enough emoticons - why would you want more?!"
    Because there have been situations where people would like to express a certain emotion but they find that they have no emoticon to do so. Some times the internet fails to fully express a comment or emotion as it is merely words on a screen. Plenty of people have spoken up about it, so there must be a geneal notion of it.

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited April 2012
    No one ever uses "pirate", "zombie", or "werr"
    And they're all the poorer for it. :P
    Oh! That's a pirate? I never noticed, but now I see the patch. Damn. I've been missing out... Pirates and zombies are my two favorite things. As I child, I really wanted to be a pirate... Mostly because Pippi Longstocking was my hero.

If I could figure out how to work more pirates in zombies into my posts... I would.
    :sawed: :pirate: :zombie: = :D

Oh, uh, let me make this constructive... I don't really feel the need for more emoticons, but I wouldn't be bothered by it. *shrugs*

I was thinking a box to write a little bio in the user info might be nice.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I'd definitely vote for that.

• :thumbsup:
  • edited April 2012

I'd definitely vote for that.

How funny...I was looking for the bio section on my profile page yesterday, when finding out there wasn't one I honestly thought huh, that would be neat!

100% agree with this suggestion
  • bio section ftw

:pirate:
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Like I said, we don't necessarily need more. We can trade out the ones no one uses for some really useful ones.
    shrug
    ROFL
    "namaste"
    heart
    snooze
    hug
    They pay me to lobby. ;)
  • It seems as though some emoticons have stopped working when I use them.
    only when you edit.
  • only when you edit.
    And when starting a new thread.
    Still coming... any time now... ;)
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Good grief, @Lincoln, this Like feature makes this site like a cheap teenage Facebook copycat.

I know, I know everyone else likes it and if you wanted to you would add the Dislike & mine would be up there - but I still wanna log the feedback :p

BW,
    Abu the old fart
    OK so this finally happened tonight :D
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    shaboom!
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    This is going to take a little getting used to.
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    and the SEARCH tool works now too! that's Rad! :rockon:
  • ginabginab Veteran
    Page no longer fits across my screen... have to scroll to the right :(
  • Rendering nicely on the iPad. I had a few alignment issues before but now it's looking really good. :)
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    We'll be tweaking it over the next few days. Please be patient, and if you do find bugs or oddness, we'd appreciate a mention of it here. Thank you!
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I no longer see the quote button, but I do see the flag button.