Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How does accepting things as they are help make them better?

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
edited April 2012 in Buddhism Basics
I've always been of the school that when a defilement of some negative mentality shows itself to apply an antidote to counteract it. Such as, when feeling angry meditate on love or patience. I try as best I can to be honest and fearless when looking at my mind so as not to fool myself or miss something. But I'm starting to think that this, while it has been effective, may not be a very compassionate approach.

So if I accept things as they are what is left to motivate change? Simply being okay with being angry or being a thief or something doesn't seem to be the teaching. So what am I missing?

Comments

• One does not sit there and accept everything for what it is, if that was so, do you think monks and nuns would be highly regarded in their communities? It is wise to accept the world for how it is, and to put full effort into changing things that are possible to change, ultimate compassion into helping those you can help, but accepting the outcome whatever it may be.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited April 2012
    When I was drinking, I had to accept that I was an alcoholic before I did something about it, so acceptance isn't just about doing nothing about a situation.

The Serenity Prayer is pretty good:

God grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change
    Courage to change the things that I can
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

I think acceptance is just the beginning of finding a solution to a tough situation, and not the total solution.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @person -- Counteracting one thing or another is a starting point. But it could hardly be called the period on the sentence. If it were, we'd all be running around for our whole lives, counteracting this and counteracting that. As I say, counteracting is a good starting point, a way to pay attention and investigate.
    So if I accept things as they are what is left to motivate change?
    Change -- Barack Obama to the contrary notwithstanding -- does not require motivation. Your question suggests that if you accept things as they are, you will wind up like a lump on a log ... passive and useless and unremarked. That's a scary thought. Ick! But change is not something anyone controls or can predict like some politician. Change is just what happens without any help whatsoever.

I like the line, "Just because you are indispensable to the universe does not mean the universe needs your help." The only thing anyone might claim to change with any usefulness is their own mind. The rest is largely imaginative window-dressing.

So in Buddhism we investigate what is closest to home ... this mind. Just investigate ... not praise or blame. We watch and watch and watch some more. Watch inside (so to speak); watch outside (so to speak). Watch everything and ... see what happens. The prize (since we all may long to get one) is a greater ability to see things as they are, coming and going and coming again and going again. Things change ... no big deal and yet quite a big deal when the mind is not at ease.

Imagining what it might be like to 'accept everything as it is' is not the same as accepting things as they are. Imagination may draw us forward -- or help us to imagine we might turn out to be as passive as a turnip -- but it is actualization of a clear mind that eases the strain. Do what you like, go where you like, think what you like. Just keep an eye on things and correct what mistakes you can.

Just noodling here.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Accepting things as they are doesn't make them better.
    Accepting things as they are makes YOU better.
  • Better is only known in hindsight.

Acceptance doesn't do anything.
    But it is what allows for conditions to change, which allows for circumstances to change.

I remember hearing a talk by trungpa on the development of the paramitas. One doesn't go about developing them because then that is forced. When a situation presents itself you work with that circumstance. If you're impatient thats what you work with.

Impatience arises. Investigate. There really is no need to fix it. It is a play of energy. See it for what it is and let to disipate on itas own.

We solidify what is a process by the three poisons. Just thoughts for you
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    @ThailandTom and @Tosh thanks but I feel that I am honest with myself and am open to seeing my failings. I do try to change things that I can change and accept the things I can't. I think what I'm saying is not about acknowledging faults but being okay with them.

@genkaku I do meditate quite a bit and watch what goes on, I guess it's the praise and blame part that I have trouble with. Change happens, but does it happen for the better without an effort to make it so?

@federica I like that, thanks.
    Change happens, but does it happen for the better without an effort to make it so?
    @person -- To be alive means to make an effort. There is no other choice. We summon intention and make an effort. If it turns out badly, we correct it. If it turns out well, we repeat it. "Better" and "worse" are extra and there is nothing extra about change.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    One does not sit there and accept everything for what it is, if that was so, do you think monks and nuns would be highly regarded in their communities? It is wise to accept the world for how it is, and to put full effort into changing things that are possible to change, ultimate compassion into helping those you can help, but accepting the outcome whatever it may be.
    I agree with Tom, and I think it's part seeing things as they really are, and accepting what we cannot change.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Because accepting things as they are is to know they are not permenant and will change. Accepting things as they are is also to accept that as conscious beings, we are able to initiate change with our decisions and actions.

When you say "Such as, when feeling angry meditate on love or patience" what are you focusing your love and patience on? Are you calling up thoughts that make you feel serene, thus blocking the anger or are you investigating the anger itself and transforming it with love and patience?
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited April 2012
    @person said: “Simply being okay with being angry or being a thief or something doesn't seem to be the teaching. So what am I missing?”
    Accepting things as they are doesn't make them better.
    Accepting things as they are makes YOU better.
    That's the briefest possible explanation imo. :)

Our negative emotions get fueled by their denial or suppression. They just want to be there; they want to vent. When we get upset about them and find an antidote or whatever; they are like little human beings who don’t get taken seriously.
    At least that’s my - probably grosly oversimplified- understanding.

When we completely accept our anger for instance, we are still angry, but at the same time we are compassionate and calm and patient and understanding.

We don’t fight the anger, so we don’t fuel it, and it will disappear after some time.
    What remains is our open accepting state of mind.
    That’s the change.

(Imho)

• This for some reason is one area of the dharma which has become an understanding and then realization quite easily for me. I feel that to a certain extent I have taken this specific teaching and implimented it into my life, however I would not say at any rate is it something I have that I have grown to implent on a permanent basis.

I am curious, on this website we all have our notions about how we walk down our path, treat the dharma in various ways, but how much of what we say actually with regards to the teachings do we fully committ to?
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited April 2012
    To accept is to stop clinging to ideas of good or bad. To stop the judgement, gives a person the opportunity to live in the moment. When living in the moment, then we can respond to the situation as it is rather than how we believe it to be.

In order to have expectations of the way things should be, we need to judge good or bad and we suffer. When we are effected by things that have happened in the past and again judge them as good or bad, we suffer.

Acceptance is not the place where people give up and let things be, it is more often the place where they can respond to the real world rather than our world of illusions. When facing death, and a person is able to accept the inevitable, they pull their lives together and prepare for what will come. Before that time, they suffer in anger or denial. They waste their energy fighting the inevitable. When they see things as they truly are, they muster their forces and get on with what needs to be done.
  • To accept is to stop clinging to ideas of good or bad. To stop the judgement, gives a person the opportunity to live in the moment. When living in the moment, then we can respond to the situation as it is rather than how we believe it to be.

In order to have expectations of the way things should be, we need to judge good or bad and we suffer. When we are effected by things that have happened in the past, we suffer.

Acceptance is not the place where people give up and let things be, it is more often the place where they can respond to the real world rather than our world of illusions. When facing death, and a person is able to accept the inevitable, they pull their lives together and prepare for what will come. Before that time, they suffer in anger or denial. They waste their energy fighting the inevitable. When they see things as they truly are, they muster their forces and get on with what needs to be done.

Well said :thumbsup:
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2012
    The Buddha saw suffering in an old man, a sick man and a dying man. But instead of accepting it, he was determined to find a way out. After disagreeing with the views of many teachers, he found his own way that lead to his enlightenment.

Some people say you should accept everything, but that's not true. Buddhism isn't about accepting in that sense of the word. When people say you should accept things, they probably mean you should recognize them for what they are. After recognizing something, you can find a skillful means to remove it.

However, sometimes you do need to be accepting. For example when you are angry, you apply loving kindness. Accepting and loving kindness are the same thing; they embrace.

So apply acceptance when it helps, and don't do it when it doesn't.

With acceptance,
    Sabre
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    I understood the OP as being about accepting things as they are in meditation (instead of suppressing or finding an antidote for negative emotions or thoughts).

In my mind that’s what meditation is about. It’s not some kind of internal fight. On the meditation-mat everything is welcome and free to go. We need to trust the process of meditation without interfering in it very much, or even at all.

I know there are other ways of doing meditation, but in this context it’s all acceptance.
  • Sabre said "However, sometimes you do need to be accepting. For example when you are angry, you apply loving kindness. Accepting and loving kindness are the same thing; they embrace."

Whereas I believe you always must accept. If you apply acceptance when it helps as you stated, you trap yourself into a world of judgement.
    Sabre said "However, sometimes you do need to be accepting. For example when you are angry, you apply loving kindness. Accepting and loving kindness are the same thing; they embrace."

Whereas I believe you always must accept. If you apply acceptance when it helps as you stated, you trap yourself into a world of judgement.
    I don't have a problem with people making judgments...I have a problem with what people sometimes do with their judgments.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I'm not sure I was really clear in my OP. I'm talking more about compassion than watching what arises in the mind during meditation and allowing it to pass.

If I accept myself as I am (have compassion for myself), what motivates improvement? I realize intellectually that there is something wrong with this question, but what motivates people who like themselves to practice?
  • Sabre said "However, sometimes you do need to be accepting. For example when you are angry, you apply loving kindness. Accepting and loving kindness are the same thing; they embrace."

I don't have a problem with people making judgments...I have a problem with what people sometimes do with their judgments.

I think judgements are what takes us into depression, conflict and prejudices. My problem with them is that there is no stopping. Once you start judging, where does it end? No doubt it is very near impossible to not be judging but when a person has a choice between judging and accepting, I default to the latter when I can.

but what motivates people who like themselves to practice?
    @person -- As long as there is a "myself" to like, there will be a need/inspiration to practice. As long as there is "no self" to like, there will be a need/inspiration to practice. Practice is just practice -- just life.

Nobody ever became a Buddhist because s/he was so damned happy. Some people suffer and seem to have all the luck. :)
    Sabre said "However, sometimes you do need to be accepting. For example when you are angry, you apply loving kindness. Accepting and loving kindness are the same thing; they embrace."

I think judgements are what takes us into depression, conflict and prejudices. My problem with them is that there is no stopping. Once you start judging, where does it end? No doubt it is very near impossible to not be judging but when a person has a choice between judging and accepting, I default to the latter when I can.

Don't kid yourself. You make judgments all the time. You made a judgment before you responded to my post.

When you read a Buddhist scripture, you make judgments about it. When you chose some particular Buddhist sect, you made a judgment. Life is full of judgments. It's what you do with those judgments that is important.

Don't kid yourself. You make judgments all the time. You made a judgment before you responded to my post.

When you read a Buddhist scripture, you make judgments about it. When you chose some particular Buddhist sect, you made a judgment. Life is full of judgments. It's what you do with those judgments that is important.

Yes I do. But when I catch myself doing it, I try to live in the moment. I choose to live with reality rather than illusion.
    ^^ But how is that no making judgments?

When your buddies tell you that you should go out for a night on town, do you not make judgments taking into consideration the Precepts...before making your decision?
  • When I "judge" that it doesn't really matter, I do relax my vigilance but like many people, I always try to keep an open mind.
    That's cool. We each have to operate along our own path. I just know that before I can make decisions about right speech and right action (etc.), I have to make judgments about the situation and the people involved. As I guess Buddha must have, since apparently he tailored his discussions with people based on the audience.

Perhaps we're just looking at things in different ways.
  • Yes, it is possible. I do have to say, when you make those judgements, are you labelling good or bad or are you choosing the best course, in the moment.
    But I don't have a problem labeling something as bad. George Zimmerman shooting Trayvon Martin...that was bad. That doesn't mean that I think Zimmerman is a totally evil/bad person.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    If I accept myself as I am (have compassion for myself), what motivates improvement?
    I realize intellectually that there is something wrong with this question, but what motivates people who like themselves to practice?
    You've noticed 'something wrong' - there's a juicy paradox ;)

Accepting yourself as you are means that you are resolved - improvement requires a state of degeneration that may be improved - its a progression along extremes - it requires opposing extremes - perhaps you have further to progress in accepting yourself - maybe that's the improvement you hint at...

Practice has far more potential that the first steps of resolution - it isn't solely a way to self improvement - it can be a way of life.
    edited April 2012
    But I don't have a problem labeling something as bad. George Zimmerman shooting Trayvon Martin...that was bad. That doesn't mean that I think Zimmerman is a totally evil/bad person.
    The hard part is, you don't know how things turn out unless you are aware of the big picture. Before judging it to be good or bad, one would have to know what the ultimate outcome would be, and we don't. The death of one person could create a situation where other lives are saved. If the death of one youth results in public outcry that makes the world safer for millions of kids who are descriminated against, then it could actually be a good thing. Who knows? Did the death of Martin Luther King move the civil rights of millions forward? Yes, At a horrible cost but it did make the world a far better one. But then again, maybe it made the world a worse place. I don't know how, but it could be.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I've always been of the school that when a defilement of some negative mentality shows itself to apply an antidote to counteract it. Such as, when feeling angry meditate on love or patience. I try as best I can to be honest and fearless when looking at my mind so as not to fool myself or miss something. But I'm starting to think that this, while it has been effective, may not be a very compassionate approach.

So if I accept things as they are what is left to motivate change? Simply being okay with being angry or being a thief or something doesn't seem to be the teaching. So what am I missing?
    I don't think this teaching refers to things that you have the ability to change with practice. If you are angry or a thief, you have the ability to change that with the practice you talk about. To accept the fact that you are a thief and be ok with that is quite unskillful. However, if you break your leg or something, accepting that is the best thing to do because practicing is not going to magically make your leg not broken. :) This teaching is about accepting the inevitable IMO, not really accepting what can be changed. Old age sickness and death are good examples. Anger arising in the mind is also inevitable at times. The teaching in this context I think means that you should accept this inevitability but that does not mean that you should accept the fact that it will stay there because you have an antidote. There is no antidote to your body dying, etc.
    The hard part is, you don't know how things turn out unless you are aware of the big picture. Before judging it to be good or bad, one would have to know what the ultimate outcome would be, and we don't. The death of one person could create a situation where other lives are saved. If the death of one youth results in public outcry that makes the world safer for millions of kids who are descriminated against, then it could actually be a good thing. Who knows? Did the death of Martin Luther King move the civil rights of millions forward? Yes, At a horrible cost but it did make the world a far better one. But then again, maybe it made the world a worse place. I don't know how, but it could be.

Now we are moving FAR apart.

• My way is to go into what you do and be it fully. So if you are a thief be a thief fully. That is you. And you cannot escape what you are and what you do.

By being undivided there is no dichotomy between a self that is trying to not be a thief and a self that indulges.

Thus clear seeing can happen when one is undivided. You know what it is to be a thief rather than a delusion.

Go full force.
  • That being sad it doesn't mean your conscience can be dispelled and clear seeing is not like scratching off a lotto ticket and it happens. It's a lot of pain of being who you are.
  • driedleafdriedleaf Veteran
    edited April 2012
    It does seem quite odd that we can never really totally accept everything as they are. Because it is only human to be angry, greedy, and delusional. I think that if everyone totally accepts their defilement as a 'defilement', each and every time it occurs, wouldn't that at least be a way to begin to detach from them? But I believe that you would have to have 'total acceptance' of the Buddha's teachings first, as in accepting that greed, hate and delusions are unskillful qualities, in order to put forth 'right' effort to start looking inside oneself. Accepting things as they are is great, but having 'total acceptance' as a foundation would make 'accepting things' a lot easier and more stable.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I've always wondered - how do social justice and the Buddhist notion of "accepting things for what they are" go together?

I understand that by working from the "inside" out, the world can slowly become a better, more compassionate place. But what about more systematic changes? Is it not good practice to desire great political/social change?

The way I've sort of reconciled the idea of "accepting things for what they are" and change is that one should know one's own capacity and ability to make change, and stretching beyond that is not accepting one's own limits. But staying within the limits while working for social change still is within the framework for "accepting things for what they are."

• I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I've always wondered - how do social justice and the Buddhist notion of "accepting things for what they are" go together?

I understand that by working from the "inside" out, the world can slowly become a better, more compassionate place. But what about more systematic changes? Is it not good practice to desire great political/social change?

The way I've sort of reconciled the idea of "accepting things for what they are" and change is that one should know one's own capacity and ability to make change, and stretching beyond that is not accepting one's own limits. But staying within the limits while working for social change still is within the framework for "accepting things for what they are."

It really comes down to how much one believes in compassion and love. If a person believes social justice and punitive measures is the means that ends injustice, then it fits that you need to judge and hate what is wrong.

If one believes that compassion and love is the way to end injustice, then acceptance is a necessity in order to get to that compassionate place.

The world has plenty of prisons and to some degree, they do keep people on the straight and narrow. There are many people who have been victimized who are more than happy to see people rot in prison. To my way of thinking however, those people who hold the person who hurt them in their heart with resentment, hurts themselves as well.

When I think about the transformative power of compassion and love, I think of an example of a woman who was able to forgive a drunk driver who had killed her son. This woman was bitter and resentful and hated the person in jail. The person in jail was also bitter and guilt ridden. When this woman who was the victim of the crime mustered the courage to confront the drunk driver, she felt compassion and she was able to forgive. This extraordinary act of love and compassion, transformed both of their lives more than one could imagine. Much more effective than prison.

That is real power.

Is it not good practice to desire great political/social change?
    Form your intention as carefully as possible.

Then act.

Then correct your errors with an attentive eye on your very real responsibilities.

Buddhists are not just a gaggle of smarmy, arm-chair theorists. What distinguishes them -- if anything -- is the willingness to pay attention and take responsibility.
  • When I was drinking, I had to accept that I was an alcoholic before I did something about it, so acceptance isn't just about doing nothing about a situation.

The Serenity Prayer is pretty good:

God grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change
    Courage to change the things that I can
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

I think acceptance is just the beginning of finding a solution to a tough situation, and not the total solution.
    @Tosh I just had to repeat your post. Accept means see the world and people in it as it really is, because you have to start there if you really want to make a diffference.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    @Cinorjer, thanks, that makes perfect sense.

Cheers.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    By accepting things as they are, you can investigate them with a clear mind and understanding their true nature which leads to insight about them and eventually enlightenment.

What is anger, the actual sensation of anger, and the thoughts it generate.

We already know that being mad angry is not going to help solve a situation.

So what is that anger that prevent you from keeping your cool?
    what is that boredom that prevent you from enjoying yourself?
    What is that guilt/envy/sadness that prevent you from enjoying a beautiful evening with your family, distracting you...

When we begin to look inside closely enough, we begin to realize that these things are distracting us constantly, preventing us to live life peacefully.
  • I cannot change the world. I can only change myself; and, in so doing, change the world.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

It really comes down to how much one believes in compassion and love. If a person believes social justice and punitive measures is the means that ends injustice, then it fits that you need to judge and hate what is wrong.

If one believes that compassion and love is the way to end injustice, then acceptance is a necessity in order to get to that compassionate place.

The world has plenty of prisons and to some degree, they do keep people on the straight and narrow. There are many people who have been victimized who are more than happy to see people rot in prison. To my way of thinking however, those people who hold the person who hurt them in their heart with resentment, hurts themselves as well.

When I think about the transformative power of compassion and love, I think of an example of a woman who was able to forgive a drunk driver who had killed her son. This woman was bitter and resentful and hated the person in jail. The person in jail was also bitter and guilt ridden. When this woman who was the victim of the crime mustered the courage to confront the drunk driver, she felt compassion and she was able to forgive. This extraordinary act of love and compassion, transformed both of their lives more than one could imagine. Much more effective than prison.

That is real power.

Right, okay, I get where you're coming from. But I'm not necessarily talking about locking people up. I'm not a fan of the prison-industrial complex.

I'm talking about things like fighting for rights for workers, making a more egalitarian society, that type of thing. I can't see how feeling compassion for faceless multi-national corporations that harm the environment, cut jobs and safety standards with the stroke of a pen would help anything. Then again, I'm not sure what actual social/political action would help.
    edited April 2012

Right, okay, I get where you're coming from. But I'm not necessarily talking about locking people up. I'm not a fan of the prison-industrial complex.

I'm talking about things like fighting for rights for workers, making a more egalitarian society, that type of thing. I can't see how feeling compassion for faceless multi-national corporations that harm the environment, cut jobs and safety standards with the stroke of a pen would help anything. Then again, I'm not sure what actual social/political action would help.
    I think there is some confusion between acceptance and capitulation and it can be hard to separate the two. For example, when a person is told they only have a fixed amount of time to live, to accept that reality is not to curl up into a ball and die. To curl up like that, one gives up or capitulates. This would result in desperation.

True acceptance at a time like that is actually a place where a person musters their resources and begins to do productive things that need to be done like make peace with someone they have feuded with. For the most part, loving and practical things that have been left undone.

Acceptance in respect to your example of fighting for rights of workers, does not mean capitulation either. It speaks more to the spirit the fight entails. One should always resist tyranny but not with hatred in their heart. The hatred can consume a person and cause them to struggle with what is happening now. When consumed like that, people may make irrational choices. To respond with acceptance, one responds in a measured, rationale way, always keeping in mind that these multi-national corporations are not really faceless. They have fat little faces with people attached.

An example I would use would be a Buddhist approach to animal cruelty vs the PETA approach. In many ways, radical PETA adherents have created another negative entity which is often as resisted and disapproved of as the industry that they resist. I don't pretend to have the magic elixir that will end animal cruelty, and I don't mean to criticize PETA's intentions which are honorable and well placed, but at times, some of the responses that occur can be cruel to people. Hatred vs hatred, or vs greed or vs indifference are not consistent with Buddhist teachings.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    So if I accept things as they are what is left to motivate change?
    Acceptance can be a useful way of developing contentment because it's an antidote to craving and desire, ie wanting things to be different.

It can also help us to fully experience the present by minimising denial and aversion.
  • Right view with the correct perception of reality naturally lends itself to acceptance or just letting be.

And in some sense mahamudha or dzogchen focus on introducing the state of enlightenment with right view.

This state isn't contrived or produced, but is the natural state.

So from the point of Rigpa (knowledge of the natural state) one can better understand how everything is a play of rigpa energy.

such knowledge really ends the process of creating projects or seeing immediate experience as something other than it is. it cuts ignorance directly.
  • jlljll Veteran
    try this, dont accept things as they are.
    try to change things that you cant accept.
    my baby died, i cant accept it, i want to change it.
    its a recipe for insanity.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Right view with the correct perception of reality naturally lends itself to acceptance or just letting be.
    I agree, but I also think that developing acceptance lends itself to correct perception, ie seeing things as they really are.