Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Question about who/what am I?

chanrattchanratt Veteran
edited April 2012 in Philosophy
Bear with me, this is complicated for me and I have a hard time phrasing my question......
I have listened to Alan Watts and some other Zen teachers raise the question, who are we/I. I guess the koan version would be 'What was your face before your parents were born'. (I think that's right). So their point is, the more we look for the Self, the less we find. We deeper we go the shallower we become. The personality is just a system of memories and a product of our environment, and we can't locate ourselves in the physical body; so who are we?
Well, doesn't science answer this? Aren't we the genetic makeup inherited from our ancestors? A product of who has gone before us? Weren't many of our personality traits (anxious/musical/bad tempered/ hard working/ lazy/ addictive/ funny/ artistic/ etc etc) handed down to us? Am I making sense?

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2012
    How does it feel to experience the world as meaningless? The one who suffers is the Self.

Not to raise alarm bells to everyone, in context such as the dhammapada self can be mentioned in Buddhism and I'm just throwing this out there anyhow.

Note: I'm not saying chanratt finds the world as meaningless it's a hypothetical
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited April 2012
    @chanratt -- If your scientific observations bring you peace, then go with that. If they do not, then work a little harder on your koan. Sorry to say so, but if you think you've found an explanation, this is an excellent encouragement to become more determined in your practice.
  • Well, I'm not saying that I agree with the scientific answer....I just want to know how the teachings, which to me seem to be so in line with scientific thinking in every other aspect, answer this question?
  • Sorry Genkaku, posted that last one before seeing your response...No, this is not my thinking. I'm just asking.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Self / I - a fiction allowing observation of reaction to stimulus...

What are you depends on where the fiction is employed - way way far out a blip in energy exchange, local a human, zoom in a collection of molecular sub-systems, closer I'm led to believe a range of probable collectives...

Of course I have no idea who or what you are... I assume a lot
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Science cannot answer the question, "Who am I?"

Buddhism cannot answer the question, "Who am I?"

The only person capable of answering that question is you.
  • But my point is, science does answer it. My question is, what is Buddhism's response?
  • You are a thought. Where is this thought?

Gone. Poof. Neither here or there.
  • Science answers what we can measure and observe with utensils we have made. Science also has a history of being wrong and correcting itself in many areas of time. Science is also getting closer and closer to what a lot of eastern religions have been saying for hundreds of years. I was contemplating the whole what am I, what is this that is observing yesterday in meditation, I had a brief notion of it, but then it went away. I don't think you will be able to get a satisfactory answer here that will hit home to you, you need to find it out for yourself.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited April 2012
    @chanratt.... just go with the scientific answer... and forget the Zen one. It is a non-answer. It leaves you with nothing to hold.... ... you are looking for a truth to hold. That is where you seem to be at right now.. only that.

Maybe this is not your thing.. at least the Zen approach? ... try something else. Why not just focus on examining Dukkha?.. read up on Dukkha.. Investigate Dukkha. stick with that... really. it is very concrete... very scientific even.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Aren't we the genetic makeup inherited from our ancestors? A product of who has gone before us? Weren't many of our personality traits (anxious/musical/bad tempered/ hard working/ lazy/ addictive/ funny/ artistic/ etc etc) handed down to us? Am I making sense?
    In simple terms the anatta ( non-self ) teaching just says we have no permanent soul or essence - different Buddhist schools have developed this idea in different ways.
    This is something to be investigated rather than believed.
    So look at your personality traits and habitual patterns - are these fixed, or do they change over time? Are they really you or just activity of the mind? And so on.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited April 2012
    I did a similar koan as 'What was your face before your parents were born'. (My koan was: Before birth, who am I?)

Koans are non-intellectual inquiries. They are not to be answered by concepts. It is a pointing device, that when investigated, leads all the way to the direct realization of the Source, resulting in Self-Realization.

I wrote an e-book/e-journal, 'Who am I' detailing my journey and some instructions on the self-inquiry method: http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/2010/12/my-e-booke-journal.html
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Well, doesn't science answer this? Aren't we the genetic makeup inherited from our ancestors? A product of who has gone before us? Weren't many of our personality traits (anxious/musical/bad tempered/ hard working/ lazy/ addictive/ funny/ artistic/ etc etc) handed down to us? Am I making sense?
    I asked a similar question to the Zen Master once. He said "No, that is just your body/mind...Who are you really?

• Well, doesn't science answer this? Aren't we the genetic makeup inherited from our ancestors? A product of who has gone before us? Weren't many of our personality traits (anxious/musical/bad tempered/ hard working/ lazy/ addictive/ funny/ artistic/ etc etc) handed down to us? Am I making sense?
    I asked a similar question to the Zen Master once. He said "No, that is just your body/mind...Who are you really?

I wouldn't expect anymore from the vast majority of zen masters to be honest.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Bear with me, this is complicated for me and I have a hard time phrasing my question......
    I have listened to Alan Watts and some other Zen teachers raise the question, who are we/I. I guess the koan version would be 'What was your face before your parents were born'. (I think that's right). So their point is, the more we look for the Self, the less we find. We deeper we go the shallower we become. The personality is just a system of memories and a product of our environment, and we can't locate ourselves in the physical body; so who are we?
    Alan Watts is terrific.

To me, we are nothing more and nothing less than the entire universe manifesting through form in a process of self realisation. I looked everywhere for me but never found it until I broadened my notion of what I really am... What we truely are.

This form will pass away when the conditions wear out but we are all forms.
    And if we trace that lineage far back enough we end up at a big bang. Possibly an infinite amount of big bangs.

I wouldn't expect anymore from the vast majority of zen masters to be honest.
    They will sometimes hit you with a stick, hehe. To try and knock the idea "My body/mind is the same as me" out of your head, because it's a delusional idea.

• Well in Buddhist cosmology as the Dalai Lama states, it correlates with the scientific notion of how the universe began if that is science regards there to be a multiple infinite of bigbangs and not just one. If you are booked up on your physics, your will have herad that recently scientists have come to see there to be not a single big bang by looking back in history using the furthest reaches as of space as you can observe as of yet.

@ourself, when you looked within at what was there, was it during meditation? I can understand by passing the physical self as that is just a conbination of componenets made up and put together to form a human body that changes from moment to monent, but who are you, what did you find?
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited April 2012
    @ThailandTom:
    @ourself, when you looked within at what was there, was it during meditation?
    The looking within was a process started which will likely never end and there is alot of meditating involved. Once we think we have it all wrapped up, we no longer can investigate properly. I found myself by seeing there is no permenant individual self. It is said that we are self aware because we distinguish between our self and the environment but this is wrong. We become more fully realised when we see that the distinction is just a by-product of evolution.

I continue to find myself within each passing moment.

A rose is alive... It feels and reacts to its environment but because there is no brain, there is no distinguishing of any kind. The rose is the entire universe. The rose is you and the rose is me.
    I can understand by passing the physical self as that is just a conbination of componenets made up and put together to form a human body that changes from moment to monent, but who are you, what did you find?
    The fine line between the tool and the art.
  • Pointing toward the subjective pole of awareness is futile if you are pointing to a grabbing thing...that only can grab things. Sometimes talk of "True Self" is not a skillful means at all... with the wrong orientation of mind it is really unhelpful..

IMHO.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Aren't we the genetic makeup inherited from our ancestors? A product of who has gone before us? Weren't many of our personality traits (anxious/musical/bad tempered/ hard working/ lazy/ addictive/ funny/ artistic/ etc etc) handed down to us? Am I making sense?
    There are two truths; conventional and ultimate. As a simple explanation for how there can be two truths, at present I am sat perfectly still at my desk. I'm not moving at all. However I am also whizzing at 67,000 mph on an orbit around the Sun. Both statements are true aren't they?

That's not exactly what is taught in the Two Truths doctrine, but it's an easy point to make how there can be more than one truth.

And rather than read me waffle on about how we exist; when I don't really understand it deeply myself, here's a cracking Ted Talk about the mode in which we exist and it speaks from both a scientific point of view and Buddhism gets a mention too:

http://www.ted.com/talks/julian_baggini_is_there_a_real_you.html
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Science will tell you "What" you are.

Only you can determine 'who' you are.
  • ToshTosh Veteran

The OP is from Country Antrim, Fed, and I spent several years married to a Carrick lass.

She often told me what I was!

:(
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Fair enough.... who needs science when you have a Carrick Lass....?! :lol:
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Science will tell you.....
    what you want to hear...
    of course it will......:rolleyes:
    If science and religion are at odds, you're doing it wrong in my honest opinion.

I see them both as aspects of the human spiritual condition which is to reach beyond current understanding.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Science will tell you "What" you are.

I really like this, @federica. I'll be sure to use it in the future! ;)
    Feel free. :)
  • Bear with me, this is complicated for me and I have a hard time phrasing my question......
    Let's go back to this original question.

I love Watts also, but he sometimes skips some important Buddhist background that he learned and went right to Zen.

To penetrate "What am I?" in its myriad forms, you need to start with the basic teaching of the skandhas. This teaching then becomes the ground from which the meditation plants the seed of Zen insight.

The Sanskrit word skandha means "heap" or "aggregate." The Buddha taught that an individual is a combination of five aggregates of existence, called the Five Skandhas. These are:
    1.Form
    2.Sensation and emotions
    3.Perception and assigned meaning
    4.Mental formations and memory
    5.Consciousness

The genetic makeup you mention is the "form" part of the skandhas. Yes, genetics is PART of what you are. Also, activity in your brain and physical body processes influence what you are. But your body is not you. If so, knowing your genetic code would tell me what you are thinking right now.

So if "you" are a series of processes all working together, each importing and influencing the others, then what is the "self" in this. What, exactly, is a man or woman made of? What are you?

And before form, before the body, where was the self? Where were you before you were born? What was your face before you were born, in other words?

Now you have some grounding to chew on the koan.
  • Thank you Cinorjer. That makes total sense
  • ps. I see that you are writing/have written/ publishing a book? If it is as helpful and as well written as your reply, where do I get it?
    edited April 2012
    Thank you Cinorjer. That makes total sense
    Are you prepared to stop dancing around and thinking about it... trying to be really sure..? go to a place of practice... receive instruction.. and do it? Because it seems like you can come back here with exactly the same doubts and questions again... say "I get it"... again... then come back again to be sure.... then again to be sure..... then again be sure.... again and again.. .....does this ring a bell or not?

• Thank you Cinorjer. That makes total sense
    Are you prepared to stop dancing around and thinking about it... trying to be really sure..? go to place of practice... receive instruction.. and do it? Because it seems like you can come back here with exactly the same doubts and questions again... say "I get it"... again... then come back again to be sure.... then again to be sure..... then again be sure.... again and again.. .....does this ring a bell or not?

Dancing around? I meditate every day and have been doing so for quite some time. Go to a place of practice and receive instruction? Like that place just down the street for me with Zen masters coming out of the woodwork? I'm sure in real life your a nice guy but in your replies to most of anything I post you come across very snarky.

edited April 2012
    Thank you Cinorjer. That makes total sense
    Are you prepared to stop dancing around and thinking about it... trying to be really sure..? go to place of practice... receive instruction.. and do it? Because it seems like you can come back here with exactly the same doubts and questions again... say "I get it"... again... then come back again to be sure.... then again to be sure..... then again be sure.... again and again.. .....does this ring a bell or not?

Dancing around? I meditate every day and have been doing so for quite some time. Go to a place of practice and receive instruction? Like that place just down the street for me with Zen masters coming out of the woodwork? I'm sure in real life your a nice guy but in your replies to most of anything I post you come across very snarky.

Ok.. it just seems you have been posting the same doubts and questions a lot for years... like something isn't quite registering. ...and here you say you have a place of practice with plenty of Zen masters just down the street. ...and you practice every day . I am trying to square that with confusion expressed in the OP... Zen masters are pretty direct about clearing up that kind of thing...

I do not mean to be snarky or unfreindly.... I'm just wondering what is going on.
  • I was being sarcastic about the place of practice thing. They aren't that handy where I live. There is one a 30 minute drive from me, but that's an hours total drive without even putting my ass on the cushion....I have 3 kids so I don't get a lot of time. I'm not making excuses....to tell you the truth most nights when I do have the opportunity I would rather hang out with my family and have fun with my 3 yo.
    And I've only been meditating on and off for less than 2 years. I'm sure I've only been on this site a year and a half (not years!). My questions and confusion before were about meditation. I stopped asking questions about meditation....now I just sit. I don't see how this question is directly related to any of my other questions...then again maybe it is. I dunno. I have an attention problem and took medication for a year, but I don't take anything now . I am trying to focus my mind the natural way, but it's not easy. Sometimes things do register with me but then I forget.
  • To hear the bell ring, we have to take our fingers out of our ears. I can see a valid point in the comment from Richard H, despite all you have said chanratt and whether it was delivered in a way you found comfortable and nice.
  • The answer is always this moment.
    Pointing directly to this moment.

Confidence in this interdependent suchness, which has no essence.
  • 3 kids is a hand full.... and if a place of group practice is not easy to get to, and you have just been sitting for two years..... it would be hard to get some traction.. the confusion in the OP makes sense. My apologies.
  • When work was slow (i'm self employed) I used to leave my house at 6.20 for their daily 7-8 am sittings but the very fact that I was there meant I was not working and bills were not being paid. My wife was wondering why I was spending $15 on gas to go and sit and navel gaze as she jokingly calls it, instead of hustling for work. She was right and going there made me feel stressed. Now that I'm balls to the wall I don't have time to go in the A.M. and I'm too tired at night lol. So I don't know what to do and end up coming here and asking the same stupid question in different forms over and over again.
  • Okay here is my thought, yup we are not separate individuals who are only living in an individual reality at this time. ASnd we can have times that we experience it, I am not sure how much the intellectual understanding affects this. I do think it has an effect to talk about this because having an experience of the lack of independant existence without the foundational understanding could be very confusing and cause one to push away from the experience instead of grow into it. And how does that affect us today?

Well we still need to get up and reasonably act as if we are a separate person because I can't just take your car or food off your plate because we are not separate individuals. However finding that line between living as separate and living as the reality of non-separation is kinda tricky huh. We can't take anything too seriously, however we need to take it seriously enough to not act badly or against the 8 fold path.
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited April 2012
    @chanratt: The biggest question ever was/is/will remain - who am 'I'?

Answer - Nobody knows, until anybody realizes Nirvana or Self-Realization(in Hinduism) or Ultimate Reality.

I have been studying Buddha's teachings for nearly 8 months now. So my understanding of Buddha's teachings say - everything is a projection of mind.

there is a 'I' but it is not the 'I' as we think in our mind - the real 'I' will be something like plain Buddahood or plain Buddha consciousness as referred in Tibetian Buddhism. Well, how much we think/analyze this question, we will not be able to answer it through our reasoning/analysis. The answer to this question can only be realized through direct experience - which means sitting in meditation, being mindfully aware of the natural breathing with sati and sampajanna, leading to arising of wisdom which will remove the ignorance and will eventually lead us to realize Nirvana or Self-Realization(in Hinduism) or Ultimate Reality, to see the things as they really are, without adding anything to it.

All the above are based on my theoretical understanding, as till now I have not experienced anything with direct experience.

A similar type of discussion is also going on in below thread -
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/15036/what-kind-of-a-virtual-world-we-are-living-in

if interested, please feel free to go through the above thread too.
  • ps. I see that you are writing/have written/ publishing a book? If it is as helpful and as well written as your reply, where do I get it?
    My writing and books are fantasy fiction, worlds where different rules apply but people are still normal people struggling to do the right thing. If interested in what I write, try http://theweaving.blogspot.com/

But I posted one of my early stories that involves a Buddhist monk and makes an important point here at NewBuddhist, at http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/14373/master-kwang-and-the-hungry-ghost#Item_4

Hope this helps.
    edited April 2012
    When work was slow (i'm self employed) I used to leave my house at 6.20 for their daily 7-8 am sittings but the very fact that I was there meant I was not working and bills were not being paid. My wife was wondering why I was spending $15 on gas to go and sit and navel gaze as she jokingly calls it, instead of hustling for work. She was right and going there made me feel stressed. Now that I'm balls to the wall I don't have time to go in the A.M. and I'm too tired at night lol. So I don't know what to do and end up coming here and asking the same stupid question in different forms over and over again.
    You are not alone chanratt.... we've all got financial pressures and some of us have families with needs. Having 3 kids and a partner who does not understand makes it tougher.. Finding what will work is not easy.. Here is an online Sangha. The Zen master, Jundo Cohen, is a very cool guy, representing a good lineage. He is a bit unconventional, but wise and compassionate. His focus is facilitating practice for folks who are precisely in your position.... making the most of what you have, in the situation you find yourself in. there are good people.. you can ask questions of both him and the other master, Taigu.

http://www.treeleaf.org/

be honest and frank... just say you need support with practice.. it is very open and kosher.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2012
    Over the years, I've come to the conclusion that the answer to the question "Who am I?" isn't important. There's no concrete answer as who we are is continually changing. What's really important from the Buddhist point of view, however, is realizing that a combination of clinging to sensual pleasures and our attachment to views and doctrines of self keeps us rooted in "perceptions and categories of objectification" that continually assail us and our mental well-being (MN 18). And questions such as "Who am I?" are ultimately better left aside.

The reason why is that self-view in any form contributes to suffering, In MN 22, for example, the Buddha said that he didn't see "any such supporting (argument) for views [of self] from the reliance on which there would not arise sorrow and lamentation, pain, grief and despair." Futhermore, the Buddha said "Who suffers?" isn't a valid question, and suggests the alternative, "From what as a requisite condition comes suffering" (SN 12.35) in an effort to re-frame these questions in a way that's conducive to liberation, i.e., in terms of dependent co-arising.

I suppose meditating on the question of "Who am I?" can lead to the same realizations and release from suffering; but I think the danger of mistaking certain experiences along the way and latching on to them as 'me' possesses more danger than the Buddha's not-self strategy.

Just my two cents, at any rate.
  • When work was slow (i'm self employed) I used to leave my house at 6.20 for their daily 7-8 am sittings but the very fact that I was there meant I was not working and bills were not being paid. My wife was wondering why I was spending $15 on gas to go and sit and navel gaze as she jokingly calls it, instead of hustling for work. She was right and going there made me feel stressed. Now that I'm balls to the wall I don't have time to go in the A.M. and I'm too tired at night lol. So I don't know what to do and end up coming here and asking the same stupid question in different forms over and over again.
    You are not alone chanratt.... we've all got financial pressures and some of us have families with needs. Having 3 kids and a partner who does not understand makes it tougher.. Finding what will work is not easy.. Here is an online Sangha. The Zen master, Jundo Cohen, is a very cool guy, representing a good lineage. He is a bit unconventional, but wise and compassionate. His focus is facilitating practice for folks who are precisely in your position.... making the most of what you have, in the situation you find yourself in. there are good people.. you can ask questions of both him and the other master, Taigu.

http://www.treeleaf.org/

be honest and frank... just say you need support with practice.. it is very open and kosher.
    Thanks a lot. I will check it out...

I suppose meditating on the question of "Who am I?" can lead to the same realizations and release from suffering; but I think the danger of mistaking certain experiences along the way and latching on to them as 'me' possesses more danger than the Buddha's not-self strategy.

Just my two cents, at any rate.
    Yes, that is the purpose of such questioning. To deeply investigate it and learn that there is nothing there to latch onto to begin with. To learn that it is just "combination of clinging to sensual pleasures and our attachment to views and doctrines", etc and that's it.
    "but I think the danger of mistaking certain experiences along the way and latching on to them as 'me'
    That is always a possibility. That is why, at least in Zen tradition, a teacher is consider quite important because they will see this and point it out.

:bowdown:
  • @Cinorjer

I really liked the interpretation of formations as memory, that really opened something up for me.

My lama who is shentong interpretation of emptiness said the skandas were a confused perception of reality. They are used because we can see directly that they are impermanent.

But Buddha said we are NOT the skhandas I believe. He didn't say we were a stream of changing skhandas.

A gelug layperson from the rangtong interpretation said that we transform the skhandas into dharma via transforming them.

form to ethics
    feeling to concentration
    perception to wisdom
    formations to liberation
    consciousness to knowledge of liberation

And of course as a TB teaching there are 3 levels to look at the 5 transformations which all involve interbeing-emptiness: hinayana## mayana and tantra.

##not a sectarian intention it just means the shravaka-hearer level which is the view of emptiness that the skhandas are empty of self. Whereas the rangtong interpretation is the prasangika view that all VIEWS are creative prapancha and the realization is non-conceptual non-dual jnanna (not jhana)..
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited April 2012
    @Jeffrey your lama sounds like a wise man. In psychology there are many mental paradigms that are supposed to describe the human mind. Maslow's Hierachy of Needs. Freud's Iceberg of Ego and repressed desires. Watson treated the mind as a black box that responded to punishment and reward only. And, Buddha described it as a heap or mix of processes known as skandhas.

Which one is right? Or can all of them be right, according to our viewpoint? It's still the blind man groping at the elephant. Some of us Buddhists say the skandhas point to emptiness and thus began a two thousand year old debate on what if anything emptiness means when applied to the self.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    But Buddha said we are NOT the skhandas I believe. He didn't say we were a stream of changing skhandas.
    I think it depends on tradition. In the suttas the skhandas represent the totality of human experience, ie there is nothing else - so a person is just a stream of changing skhandas.
    I seem to remember one of the times that Buddha was asked what he was, he was asked if he was a human being. He said "A human being is not even a human being... That is what makes them a human being".

I'll find the discourse as I read it not long ago in one of Thays books.