Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Incense?

JayjayJayjay Veteran
edited April 2012 in Diet & Habits
What are peoples opinions on incense? What about incense during meditation? Anything you know or have an opinion on would be obliged! Thanks! :D

Comments

• All you need for meditation is a brain that functions. Anything else IMO would be something that is not needed and can become an attachment. There is a time and place for everything, incense in Thailand is for rituals and so forth, but I think it also has some bad health side-affects if you research into it.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Lots of people use it, you don't really have to. I like the smell, but I do wonder if it's bad for you, as @ThailandTom says. I mean, it's basically inhaling burning... something or another.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    What are peoples opinions on incense? What about incense during meditation? Anything you know or have an opinion on would be obliged! Thanks! :D
    Personally I'm allergic to incense and regard it as a Buddhist cliche. But if it helps you to meditate then why not?
  • Well I have heard about incense being related to causing cancer, or increasing the risk anyway if you used on a regular basis. You could alwys do you own research, at the end of the day it is something burning, inhailing anything that burns in a regular basis is not exactly healthy.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I burn some during meditation but I do it on the other side of the room or it bothers me too much and I also worry about breathing that stuff in.
  • I burn some during meditation but I do it on the other side of the room or it bothers me too much and I also worry about breathing that stuff in.
    Fair enough, so why burn it in the first place? Just out of curiosity, I am not saying youa re Mr wrong lol, everyone is obviously entilitled to do what the hell they wish, smoke the shit if you want.
    Fair enough, so why burn it in the first place?

Good question. I think traditionally it was seen as a means of purification.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_use_of_incense
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    It helps clear my nasal passageways, and I like the smell.

I have far worse attachments; believe me! :D
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I burn some during meditation but I do it on the other side of the room or it bothers me too much and I also worry about breathing that stuff in.
    Fair enough, so why burn it in the first place? Just out of curiosity, I am not saying youa re Mr wrong lol, everyone is obviously entilitled to do what the hell they wish, smoke the shit if you want.
    I can still smell it, its just the smoke doesn't go straight to me. I guess I just do it as ritual or because thats whats done or because I like it, there's no real good reason.
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    I use it like air deodorant and I found nice the smell,with all that humidity this help a little. But almost never use in meditation. I also hear that is not so good for our health so I dont use it so often. Only one stick in a day.

Blessings.
  • It puts me in a calm mood and sets the tone for my meditation.
  • JayjayJayjay Veteran
    I haven't used it while meditating yet bc I am afraid of the attachment quality but I usually burn one while I do homework or read and it really helps calm the mood and keep my focus. And yes I am fairly worried about the health effects (which I will now research lol). My mother has asthma as well (even though she used to light incense all the time even with asthma) I'm worried it would be bad for my lungs. And yes I do try not to be directly inhaling it. But thanks to all of you!! :D
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    To be perfectly honest, I don't know why, but my cat seems to enjoy taking a crap in his litter box when I'm meditating. And although I love him, for ten years now, this cat will NOT bury his poop. So, there it is. I do it to protect from smelling poop... which is quite distracting.
    mugzy
    So, there it is. I do it to protect from smelling poop... which is quite distracting.
    Incense in the litter tray? :D
  • I burn some during meditation but I do it on the other side of the room or it bothers me too much and I also worry about breathing that stuff in.
    I agree. I'm not quite sure if I believe it's safe to inhale the smoke or not...
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Used it for many years but then wondered if I was scent patterning my meditation with it. Since the purpose with my formal meditation is to move the meditation into all aspects of daily life, I dropped the incense use. It did feel like something was missing at first, which worked for me as a good enough reason to try dropping it.
    I've been incense less for formal meditation for the last 3 years but still use it for masking house smells.
    Japanese Pine is my Fav.
  • I love incense. Makes the house smell nice :)
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    I only use incense as an alternative to an air freshener or much in the same way it is used in Japan (I put a few lit sticks on the family graves when I visit) But yeah other than that, I only burn it because it smells good. When I meditate I like fresh air, so I open a window or go outside.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Incense is dangerous to some (perhaps all) pets.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    @vinlyn yes! smoke is harmful to most animals, and can be straight up lethal if you keep birds around due to their sensitive respiratory systems. So people should take that into consideration.
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited August 2012
    What? Since when? Really? I have three cats and none of them have ever gotten sick... :s
  • Zayl said:

@vinlyn yes! smoke is harmful to most animals, and can be straight up lethal if you keep birds around due to their sensitive respiratory systems. So people should take that into consideration.

It is very true, BIRDS/PARROTS have very delicate respiratory systems and are extremely sensitive to any sort of inhaled smoke, fumes and pollution. Birds can DIE from the invisible fumes non-stick cooking pans give off once they reach a certain temperature (over 400 degrees) or beyond.
    Incense can cause issues with birds as well. So can plug-in room fresheners, perfumes, spray deodorants, hairspray, wood-burning fireplaces and many other things inhaled or sending off smoke or scents.

Cats and dogs? Well, I've never seen any respiratory issues from incense or room fresheners or anything like that in cats or dogs. I don't think their lungs or respiratory systems are that delicate.
    I wouldn't lock a dog or cat in a closet with smudge sticks or incense burning.... but regular normal use is not a problem.

If it helps your meditation, fine, but if not it's just another piece of cultural baggage and not good for allergies.
  • RebeccaS said:

What? Since when? Really? I have three cats and none of them have ever gotten sick... :s

The cats are addicted
    :p
    RebeccaS
  • Jayjay said:

Personally, I love incense. Certain scents are a huge 'trigger' for me - whether meditating, scenting the house for different occasions/holidays, or just relaxing.

Kewda, patchouli, unburned Nag Champa, Cinnamon-spice are among my favorites.

• Mindfull said:

RebeccaS said:

The cats are addicted
  • um... ... ... It's not for meditation, it's for offering...
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited August 2012

um... ... ... It's not for meditation, it's for offering...

True enough.
    But not everyone uses it only in that way- apparently.

vinlyn
  • SileSile Veteran
    The incense can be visualized if one prefers. The idea is to make offerings of some kind, both visualized and actual (when possible), to practice gratitude and generosity.

Interesting data as far as health - some studies showed incense contributing to a buildup of carcinogens, while other studies showed a reduction in lung cancer rates among incense users who also smoked.

http://ibe.sagepub.com/content/4/6/334.abstract
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Yes it is a ritualized offering, (hopefully one that doesn't hurt other beings) but the real offering is always our willingness to lay aside the attachments of the moment.
    son_of_dhamma
  • For me it serves the same purpose of having the Buddha statue on the stand... It is an association with the teachings, which acts as a preparation to get my mind clear of distractions and directed towards the meditation task at hand... In a nutshell, it sets the mood.
    son_of_dhamma
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I thought incense was just used to cover the smell of dope??? ;)
    DairyLama
    ... In a nutshell, it sets the mood.
    Yes, it can, but there are easier and less smoky ways to do that.
  • ... In a nutshell, it sets the mood.
    Yes, it can, but there are easier and less smoky ways to do that.

There is no need for it, everything needed is already there within. It smells nice sure, but Buddhism teaches to guard the 5 sense doors and that nothing is actually pleasant to smell or unpleasant to smell. Also it is meant to be carcinogenic ... It has just become tradition, I don't like that stuff personally.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited August 2012
    From 2008:

Burning Incense Is Psychoactive: New Class Of Antidepressants Might Be Right Under Our Noses

ScienceDaily (May 20, 2008) — Religious leaders have contended for millennia that burning incense is good for the soul. Now, biologists have learned that it is good for our brains too. An international team of scientists, including researchers from Johns Hopkins University and the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, describe how burning frankincense (resin from the Boswellia plant) activates poorly understood ion channels in the brain to alleviate anxiety or depression. This suggests that an entirely new class of depression and anxiety drugs might be right under our noses.

Journal Reference: Incensole acetate, an incense component, elicits psychoactivity by activating TRPV3 channels in the brain.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080520110415.htm
    MaryAnne
  • RebeccaS said:

I love incense. Makes the house smell nice :)

Candles present a nice smell and are far less intrusive :)
  • Mindfull said:

RebeccaS said:

I have candles, too, but we have to be super careful with them because the baby cat is obsessed with fire and whenever we light candles he puts his hands in them! They stay away from the incense though because the smoke gets in their eyes so it's much less of a hazard.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    RebeccaS said:

Mindfull said:

RebeccaS said:

I have candles, too, but we have to be super careful with them because the baby cat is obsessed with fire and whenever we light candles he puts his hands in them! They stay away from the incense though because the smoke gets in their eyes so it's much less of a hazard.
    Wow! You have a baby cat with hands!!!!! Show us a picture!!!!!

:lol:
    Mindfull
  • :buck: :lol:
  • Is this your cat :lol:

RebeccaS
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Likes the smell of burnt fur first thing in the morning?
    A do-it-yourself pedicure?
    Serious ADD?
    Mindfull
  • Omg that was sooo cute!

No he's not like that, though that would be hilarious!

He stands over it for ages watching it, and then out of nowhere he just puts his hand in the candle really quickly and runs away with his little paw covered in wax. He finds somewhere to hide and smell his hand for a while, rinse and repeat :lol:

I do have him doing it on video somewhere, but I can't find it :(
    Mindfull
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Tweaking for wax perhaps???? Is that scented candle flavoured??
    At least your cat has the brains to pull out in time. I fear all I'd find
    of mine is the tip of her tail.
    RebeccaS
  • Maybe has some food on the paw that needs cooking up :D
    RebeccaS
    I mean, it's basically inhaling burning... something or another.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-19246811#
  • I mean, it's basically inhaling burning... something or another.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-19246811#

Exactlt my point, it is inhailing burning matter, inhaling anything that is birning is no good for, god knows what they put on those sticks in the first place anyway. I see it like this, it is not needed, it is not crucial, you can negate it and carry on, it is a mere tradition now.