Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Best time of day to meditate?

edited April 2012 in Meditation
I've been wondering: should you meditate when you're feeling very alert, or when you're a little more relaxed and/or tired so you can more easily fall into a meditative state?

Comments

• Looking back, what helped me most when beginning regular sitting meditation was a structured approach - same time each day, same place, certain format and position - and making it a priority - no matter what. Also, the cat I was living with at the time helped me a lot by sitting with me - each morning.
  • Anytime you want to meditate is a good time to meditate.
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    I like what Ajahn Chah said:

" You say that you are too busy to meditate. Do you have time to breathe? Meditation is your breath. Why do you have time to breathe but not to meditate? Breathing is something vital to people’s lives. If you see that Dhamma practice is vital to your life, they you will feel that breathing and practicing the Dhamma are equally important."

Blessings.
  • I like in the evening, but I can see where other people could be getting too sleepy for a good med.... whatever works best for you, but I find it important to start a routine or else I get distracted and forget to do it.

I also sneak in mini meds during my lunch break at work, or anytime I'm forced to sit and wait for something, like a Dr. Appt... I'm not sitting in any special position for this, but I will start focusing on my breaths.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    Anytime you want to meditate is a good time to meditate.
    also
    Anytime you dont want to meditate is a good time to meditate.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2012
    i found on retreat that my personal best time to meditate was very very early in the morning, at around 5 am, before breakfast and shower etc...

and im not a morning person by any means.

I think the reason might be that my brain hasn't fully started yet.

Other than this i would say pretty much any time i have a minute of quiet where i dont have a task to do are all good time, no real difference between them for me.
    Actually i find that i cannot not meditate whenever i have a minute.
    i forgot what i use to do at those time before i started meditating.
    like before falling asleep, waiting in line, five minutes to lay on the couch etc...
  • i found on retreat that my personal best time to meditate was very very early in the morning, at around 5 am, before breakfast and shower etc...

and im not a morning person by any means.

I think the reason might be that my brain hasn't fully started yet.

That is why, unless on a retreat, I also do sitting meditation very early in the morning - and get up to do so.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    I've been wondering: should you meditate when you're feeling very alert, or when you're a little more relaxed and/or tired so you can more easily fall into a meditative state?
    Meditation is about clarity, so it's good to be alert. If you're tired you may well just fall asleep.
  • I've been wondering: should you meditate when you're feeling very alert, or when you're a little more relaxed and/or tired so you can more easily fall into a meditative state?
    Meditation is about clarity, so it's good to be alert. If you're tired you may well just fall asleep.
    If the mind is tight then do relaxation meditation.
    If the mind is loose then do concentration meditation.
    If both are in balance then practice no meditation.
    When no meditation is perfected then proceed to insight meditation.

Sleepiness must be countered depending on where you are at your meditation.

In the early stages one should just get adequate sleep. Or it could be various negative undigested emotions appearing as the subtle aversion of tiredness. Or it could be you've just had a long day.

Thus they say you should meditation in the morning when lucidity and relaxation is high.

Personally I meditation then go to bed. Easy transition. My sleep is more important than meditation at times.

If the mind is tight then do relaxation meditation.
    Is there such a thing as "relaxation meditation"? Do you just mean relaxation?
  • when you tell someone to relax they usually are confused.
    when you code it as relaxation meditation then they use a technique to relax.

relaxation is easy and very simple, yet most people need to be told specifically how and what to relax.

having a wider lens of awareness brings about less strain and allows for relaxing into naked beingness. there are many other techniques as well.

most of us designate a what if or condition to relaxation. i must complete all my work before i relax. or i can only relax when i am at home. using a meditation is working with conditions.

the ideal would be to learn to be in constant relaxation. but that requires significant letting go and probably prajna wisdom.

just some opinions. =]
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    My teacher says "Morning, because what you do in the morning actually gets done."
    My teacher says "Morning, because what you do in the morning actually gets done."

Mornings are also good for meditation because it sets you up for the day, rather like a nice bowl of porridge for breakfast in the winter
    ;)
  • I agree with @taiyaki: anytime is a good time. But I also agree with @andyrobyn that it's good to have a structure or ritual about it.

I'm not a morning person at all, so the usual advice to meditate upon waking doesn't work for me. I have a set time each day when I meditate. I think that having that sort of structure works best to make meditation a part of your daily life.
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    4:20
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited April 2012
    4:20
    AM :)

But seriously. I find that very early AM is a very good time. Before the sun comes up and before everyone else gets up. So in other words, don't meditate after you get up, but instead get up extra early so that you can meditate. :)

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I find that early in the morning your mind isn't as busy and its easier to have deeper meditations. Also, I'd say that the world and the energy of the environment is quieter.

Meditation in the evening though is a good way to calm the mind and stresses from the day.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited April 2012
    With shikantaza there is no right time or wrong time to sit. There is no right or wrong state of mind.. or emotion, or body state. In short there is no wrong condition. The unconditioned is realized as conditions as such... as is. So sit as is..complete.. whole.. direct... If there is so much fatigue you are going to keel over.... well, then it's time to go to bed. But otherwise relaxed or agitated conditions.. clear or fuzzy conditions,.. no difference.

It is a different approach than other forms of meditation.
  • If it's very difficulty you can just say PPPPPPPPAAAAAAATTTT. And drop whatever difficulty.