Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Crossing into faith

TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existenceSamsara Veteran
edited June 2012 in Philosophy
Any insights or experiences when one's practices goes from intellectual understanding or comprehension to lack of a better word, faith?
I see and experience annata (as arisings) and annica as this constantly unfolding play- as experience arises it has already changed as its very being is inconstance. It has become a truth for me that is beyond my intellectualization.
Another thing is rebirth. I was a staunch defender and believer that rebirth past this very lifetime did not occur. Now I am not so sure, dependent origination, the 4NT's the wheel of Samsara- seems to have a different taste for me and makes more sense to me, call it my gut, when viewed through the lens of rebrith. I am still not so sure.
Not claiming any profound anything, just how I regard my practice at this time.
Thanks.
Todd

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    As with everything, observe, accept, respect, and keep walking.
    It's like walking along a stony path and finding a shiny gold coin, and putting it in your pocket.
    you're not sure quite what you'll do with it, or what use it can be put to yet - but it's precious, valuable and worth having along....
    Bunks
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Thank you @Federica :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    That's ok, it's what I had to do when I realised I was perfect... :crazy:

I'm kidding.

no, really, I am. :D

the important thing is to not become precious about it, or feel that because you've taken a new turn in your journey, and come across a revelation, (what maybe some folks refer to as a mini Ahaaah! lightbulb moment....?) that you have to become more 'serious' in your approach, or adopt a more 'spiritual' stance...
    I'm not saying you will do this, or that this is what is happening to you, (I'm not in any way disparaging your experiences) but while your mind 'elevates' it's equally important to make sure your feet stay firmly on the ground....

These experiences change you, for you, not for others....

do you see what I mean?
    BoatS
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    My practise has moved from study, to faith, to experience, to letting it all loose to examine what's left outside of my own Buddhist conditioning. The constant throughout has been zen meditation. I am not sure if my practise is now anything more than trying to be open to the moment. My beliefs are pretty much what unfolds in that moment.
    My partner says I have developed a firm understanding of the obvious.
    lobster
    I personally object when people say,
    "yeah well, that's obvious, any fool knows that!" (my terminology, nothing implied....)

It's all very well recognising the obvious. The secret is handling it and acting upon it, and putting it into practice.

My ex-H was looking at a specific book I'd asked him to read, and after a few pages, he put the book down, and said, "Yeah, well, that's obvious, anyone knows that, he's just put it into print and is marketing it to make money!"
    so I replied,
    "Well if it's so damn obvious, why didn't you write it all down and make make money then?"
    "Well, I just didn't think about it..."
    "Yeah, and therein lies your problem! You claim to see the obvious, but you don't do it, do you?"
    (Sorry. I was on a bit of a bitch-roll, then.....)

:o:D
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2012
    @Federica
    Thanks for the relationship support Federica but if you actually had to live with her pompass zen assed partner, I'd be the one on the sour end of your bitch roll.
    Some folks could use some wings while others can use a little tethering to the ground.

Example
    she has to hear things like...
    "Most buddhist doctrine becomes obvious if you get out of it's way."

Cheers and support in trying times.

No, I meant I was on a bit of a bitch-roll with my ex-H.... I'd never do that here....

:D

Support is there, at all times. :)
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    "Faith" always makes me a bit squirmy. There seem to be so many over-lays of goodness or virtue or something similar that ... well ... I get squirmy when I hear the word.

Still, I am unwilling to write it off completely. Faith for me is just the je-ne-sais-quoi of experience. Practice nourishes experience and experience trumps the usual "belief" or "hope" that can be associated with "faith."

No one who knows how to ride a bicycle runs around saying or thinking, "I believe I can ride a bicycle." They just know ... and ride.

Practice at anything builds experience and experience feels like something more than just hot air. A "knowing" arises and it's not just a hot-air "knowing." Right or wrong, good or bad, still it's something that is "known." The taste of tea is the taste of tea ... no big deal and yet, somehow, satisfying and useful to know.

Is that faith? I really don't know, but maybe it's something like that.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    For me, it has been more crossing from the idea of Buddhism to just living. Intellectual knowing to truth of reality to living. Back to the beginning, but completely different. Slow and subtle. When does practice evaporate and living begin?
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited June 2012
    For me, crossing into faith means starting to have faith in my own understanding and practice. Not that I've finally "got it" and reached some magic enlightenment, but that my understanding is where I'm supposed to be right now, and so is my practice. Maybe in a few years it will be different, but that's then and this is now. It's certainly not the same as a few years ago. I no longer compare what I do to other people or even the Masters to see who is right and wrong. I just do it.

I know what you mean by "a firm understanding of the obvious." It seems my path has been a series of, "Oh, so that's what they meant?" and then realizing it was exactly what they'd been telling me all along. I was the one insisting there had to be a hidden, secret meaning.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Thanks for the replies and giving me this forum and time to share views and my practice as well gaining insight with all that you share with me.

@federica- Not getting at all serious with myself or others, if anything I get less fixed on views and tend to look at all views in a much broader more encompassing sense. This experience made me laugh and cry. Just came out of the blue, so it was important for me.
    “These experiences change you, for you, not for others....”
    I like this very much and I understand what you mean.
    Ultimately this or any other experience is found in this very experience-its nature is impermanence.

@how-“My beliefs are pretty much what unfolds in that moment”. This is a wonderful way to practice, bare attention to what is. In this, I am reminded of a quote; “Each moment carries all of time” Can’t recall where I found that.

@genkaku- Maybe faith was the wrong word. Conviction may be more appropriate.

“Practice at anything builds experience and experience feels like something more than just hot air. A "knowing" arises and it's not just a hot-air "knowing." Right or wrong, good or bad, still it's something that is "known." The taste of tea is the taste of tea ... no big deal and yet, somehow, satisfying and useful to know”.
    This sums it up quite well, thank you.

@Gui-“When does practice evaporate and living begin”? I would say living is the practice; our lives are the practice, every moment.

@Cinorjer- “For me, crossing into faith means starting to have faith in my own understanding and practice”-Maybe that’s where I am at. It’s where intellectualization recedes and the practice begins.
    Much metta and love,
    Todd
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    When does practice evaporate and living begin?
    Or the other way round?
    ;)
  • GuiGui Veteran
    When does practice evaporate and living begin?
    Or the other way round?
    ;)
    Exactly. When they become indistinguishable from each other. I just prefer to think of it becoming living because Buddhism is now not just something I think about but how I think. Not just something I do in my life but how life unfolds. Not just how the universe appears but the universe itself.

• As far as I understand it, faith in dharma is spontaneous and very strong--it goes a long way. At the very least, it warms up the skeptical mind of its subject and inclines them to appreciate the possibility of ideas they haven't believed, such as rebirth etc.

There's a difference between, "wow this makes since, I'm going to practice Buddhism."
    And, "wow, I have just been struck with faith in this man's teachings, I'm following his dharma."
    "wow, I have just been struck with faith in this man's teachings, I'm following his dharma."
    :thumbsup:
  • SileSile Veteran
    Faith is defined very differently in Christianity, versus Buddhism. Christianity most often tells faith to stop short of proof or reason; in fact, searching for reason is sometimes considered a lack of faith. In Buddhism, faith is an expectation that one will eventually reach reason--either intellectually, or experientially.
    person
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Sile said:

Faith is defined very differently in Christianity, versus Buddhism. Christianity most often tells faith to stop short of proof or reason; in fact, searching for reason is sometimes considered a lack of faith. In Buddhism, faith is an expectation that one will eventually reach reason--either intellectually, or experientially.

Not really. Many Buddhists are very content to accept the imponderables...which is short of proof of reason.

• SileSile Veteran
    edited August 2012
    But it's with a deep sense of expectation that one will eventually be capable of pondering the imponderables (or experiencing them). With more lifetimes to work with, there is a certain amount of patience at hand--perhaps to a fault, but patience nonetheless. That could be mistaken for faith that "everything will happen on its own," but in the Buddhist sense, it won't.

Unlike Christianity, it isn't the case that one simply has faith and *bling* makes it to heaven; there isn't going to be enlightenment without full realization. So it's faith in eventual achievement of the wisdom realizing emptiness--which implies further effort, practice, and merit-gathering on ones part, as opposed to faithfully waiting for a helpful zap from above.

• edited August 2012
    Sile said:

But it's with a deep sense of expectation that one will eventually be capable of pondering the imponderables (or experiencing them). With more lifetimes to work with, there is a certain amount of patience at hand--perhaps to a fault, but patience nonetheless. That could be mistaken for faith that "everything will happen on its own," but in the Buddhist sense, it won't.

Unlike Christianity, it isn't the case that one simply has faith and *bling* makes it to heaven; there isn't going to be enlightenment without full realization. So it's faith in eventual achievement of the wisdom realizing emptiness--which implies further effort, practice, and merit-gathering on ones part, as opposed to faithfully waiting for a helpful zap from above.

They're both faith, but the object is definitely completely different in all ways. Having first hand experience of both, not to mention scholarly knowledge of both, makes this very obvious. From the first moment to the last, semetic faith is entirely distinct from Dharmic faith.

And like you said they don't meet the same end.
  • SileSile Veteran
    I guess it seems to me that Christianity advises faith in God, whereas Buddhism advises a combination of faith in the teachings, and faith in ones own ability to realize the teachings (and thus convert that faith into reason and/or experience). Faith is really just the expectation that, since the teachings so far have made sense, continued practice of futher teachings will eventually make sense.
    Cloud
  • Sile said:

I guess it seems to me that Christianity advises faith in God, whereas Buddhism advises a combination of faith in the teachings, and faith in ones own ability to realize the teachings (and thus convert that faith into reason and/or experience). Faith is really just the expectation that, since the teachings so far have made sense, continued practice of futher teachings will eventually make sense.

There's a difference between, "wow this makes since, I'm going to practice Buddhism."
    And, "wow, I have just been struck with faith in this man's teachings, I'm following his dharma."

@how
    :thumbup:
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @PedanticPorpoise, By the way we now have options (basically "like" options) such as Insightful, Awesome and LOL when you hover over someone's post... if you want to mark one, such as that post you give the thumbs-up. This is not only connected to the badge system, but can also lead to certain posts being highlighted if a number of users have "liked" them.

Of course you can still give the thumbs-up either way. :)
    @PedanticPorpoise, By the way we now have options (basically "like" options) such as Insightful, Awesome and LOL when you hover over someone's post... if you want to mark one, such as that post you give the thumbs-up. This is not only connected to the badge system, but can also lead to certain posts being highlighted if a number of users have "liked" them.
    Yes, I will learn the new technology given time, master, but there are now so many choices....
    :p
    Cloud
  • @how

:thumbup:

Sounds like Tao.
    Because in reality, the Dharma is not obvious at all whatsoever. In fact, it is subtle, deep, and difficult to understand.
    That's the opposite of obvious. And that's coming from the Buddha's own holy mouth.
  • SileSile Veteran

Very much agree. I started looking seriously at Buddhism after gradually realizing how much of it made sense to me, and jived with feelings I already had. I have encountered several teachers (Pema Chodron for example) whose writings struck me as exceptionally eye-opening; I guess you could say at this point I have quite a bit of faith in her teachings, probably because I haven't encountered anything in them that I disagree with yet. I definitely have not found any of the teachers I study with or read from to be practicing different dharmas. So far it seems to me they are saying the same things in different ways. I suppose that consistency inspires further faith that this path is a good one for me. I believe strongly that different paths can work for different people, and am happy to see that very thought reflected in Buddhism.

I really liked the anectode I heard recently from the Dalai Lama about encouraging his priest friend to not stray too far into the Buddhist concept of emptiness, lest it shake his advanced faith in a personal relationship with God. I believe it was in that same lecture that he mentioned realizing somewhat recently that he shouldn't get too attached to Buddhism, after hearing a scientist friend saying scientists shouldn't be overly attached to science or they run the risk of being overly biased.

So, as one might expect, the message continues to be, "Not too unfocused, yet not too attached." I guess that may be another difference I see--Christian faith is often encouraged to be 100% faith in God, whereas it seems to me Buddhist faith in anyone or anything is supposed to be constantly checked and examined by oneself. Yet it's clear that, while the Dalai Lama for example prefers the second kind of faith, he nonetheless has great respect for the first.
  • Lotus21Lotus21 Indiana Explorer
    When does practice evaporate and living begins?

I do not believe there should be any distinctions between so-called Practice and Living.

It is one of the same.
  • edited August 2012
    Sile said:

Very much agree. I started looking seriously at Buddhism after gradually realizing how much of it made sense to me, and jived with feelings I already had. I have encountered several teachers (Pema Chodron for example) whose writings struck me as exceptionally eye-opening; I guess you could say at this point I have quite a bit of faith in her teachings, probably because I haven't encountered anything in them that I disagree with yet. I definitely have not found any of the teachers I study with or read from to be practicing different dharmas. So far it seems to me they are saying the same things in different ways. I suppose that consistency inspires further faith that this path is a good one for me. I believe strongly that different paths can work for different people, and am happy to see that very thought reflected in Buddhism.

I really liked the anectode I heard recently from the Dalai Lama about encouraging his priest friend to not stray too far into the Buddhist concept of emptiness, lest it shake his advanced faith in a personal relationship with God. I believe it was in that same lecture that he mentioned realizing somewhat recently that he shouldn't get too attached to Buddhism, after hearing a scientist friend saying scientists shouldn't be overly attached to science or they run the risk of being overly biased.

So, as one might expect, the message continues to be, "Not too unfocused, yet not too attached." I guess that may be another difference I see--Christian faith is often encouraged to be 100% faith in God, whereas it seems to me Buddhist faith in anyone or anything is supposed to be constantly checked and examined by oneself. Yet it's clear that, while the Dalai Lama for example prefers the second kind of faith, he nonetheless has great respect for the first.

Very nice. You have just explained why Buddhism is not a religion. And simultaneously, why Christianity and Atheism both are religious.
  • As far as I know it is worth considering 3 terms together.
    Faith, Gnosis and refuge.

When we have little direct knowledge we trust or have faith in those who are knowledgeable, the sangha.
    As we develop experience and gnosis (knowing) we increase in faith.
    Eventually we have sufficient faith and knowledge to take shelter or refuge in the dharma as a source of knowledge.

:)
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    To be honest, I've never understood having faith in beliefs. I can have faith that things will turn out alright because it seems to be the natural progression to grow. I cannot have faith that a person knows all the answers however.

I have my beliefs but to have faith in them?

It just doesn't seem too condusive to growth.
    edited October 2012
    ourself said:

I have my beliefs but to have faith in them?

I think beliefs are fine providing one doesn't take them too seriously. And the same applies to disbeliefs. ;)
  • Theswingisyellow:
    Any insights or experiences when one's practices goes from intellectual understanding or comprehension to lack of a better word, faith?
    Buddhism is all about first-person experiences and the more critical observation that we are not our psycho-physical body which includes the world we perceive through its senses.

This means for Buddhists, that the worldly intellectual/commonsense understanding has to give way to a noetic understanding which is linked to transcendence, which in simpler words means: I am more than the sum of my biological parts.

If you want to call this faith, okay. But it has a different meaning in Buddhism than is understood in Christianity. Faith in Buddhism depends on establishing an initial congruence with the absolute (bodhicittotpada) which subsequently needs to be expanded and worked out culminating eventually in Buddhahood.