Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Recommendations for children?

karastikarasti BreathingMinnesota Moderator
edited July 2012 in Buddhism Basics
My middle son, who is almost 10, is interested in learning more about Buddhism. I explain it as best I can, but I can't always find the right words for his age. He's very smart and a high level reader, and I thought it might help to find a couple books/webpages for him that he might be able to read and then ask questions. Any suggestions? I looked at Barnes and Noble and all they had was a book of Buddhist bedtime stories that wasn't quite what I was looking for (though is nice for the younger almost 4 year old). Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited July 2012
    "Moody Cow Meditates" is a staple. --- teaches sitting, meditation, and has an
    activity to do as well.
    The same author has 2 other as well. Once you get in the ball park, u can find
    other age things, like teen-age, etc.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    He might like this site. There's a bunch of animated stories from the Jataka Tales (stories of Buddha's previous lives).

http://www.jatakkatha.com/
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Thank you everyone :)
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
  • SileSile Veteran
    Amazon users have a list of Buddhist kids' books going:

http://www.amazon.com/Buddhist-Children-Books/lm/LVO6G77NSS4A
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @karasti -- Keep in mind that his interest may be more an interest in the parent who is interested. I don't mean that unkindly, but I remember a time when participants' children came to a zen center I attended. They loved the gongs and clappers and ogled the grown-ups in robes ... but after a while they were ready to put it behind them and, from a kid's point of view, get serious.

Just a possible facet to consider.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Well we don't go to any kind of center or anything, and I don't have any props of any sort that he plays with. He's almost 10 but he's an extremely intelligent and curious 10 year old. He'd rather talk to his friends about liver enzymes than comic books, which leads to him having far more relationships with adults than with kids his age. They can't keep up with him. We don't have a family religion or anything, but I want a way to be able to answer his questions in ways he can understand. It's hard for me to play teacher when I am not always sure I understand what I just read. I certainly don't expect he'll take up being a Buddhist practitioner at age 10 :) But he's curious and I like to encourage his learning no matter what the topic. I appreciate all the suggestions!

I think that you are certainly right in some regards, having both myself and his older brother studying Buddhism. But I do think most people have some inherent need for a spirituality and since we don't have any sort of formal religion if he's seeking I want to help provide that. We never went to church or anything like that as he's been growing up, so religion has been entirely not present so far in his life. I raise them on Buddhist principles, but it's not talked about in that way most of the time. It's just common sense way of raising them. All of his friends are Christian and they all go to church and vacation bible school so he's curious "what he is" so I help him explore. He has learned some about several different religions. I don't believe in raising children from birth in any particular religion, it's too much of an individual choice, so i try to expose them to a lot of things so as they get older they can choose (or not) with at least some background information.
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    Charming Buddhist story, I recommend this for young and not so young :)

Rahula Leads the Way:
    http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhism/rahula.htm