Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Dharma for the masses

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    The most effective way to do this, as I see it, is to make a group where we commit to spreading Buddhism whenever relevant, without calling it Buddhism - be it in real life or on forums for people with problems.
    I don't understand the idea of spreading Buddhism without calling it Buddhism.
    I agree. If transparency is a valid concept, spreading Buddhism under any other name is just being deceitful...perhaps unintentionally...but it is not being honest about one's intents.

...Why do you say 'arrogance'? I think it takes great humility to go to someone you see suffering and share your experience and understanding as a possible means of helping them....

The qualities of Buddhism you have talked about in this thread -- such as compassion and kindness -- are not exclusive to Buddhism. Christians consider compassion and kindness to be just as significant traits as do Buddhists. You live in a predominantly Christian country, as do I, although I have lived in a predominantly Buddhist country (Thailand). I did not find true compassion to be any more prevalent in Thailand than here in the States. In fact, I think I could make a strong case for true compassion being less prevalent in the most-Buddhist country in today's world (but, that's another topic).

If you want to teach the principle of compassion, why not just teach compassion. There is no need to hook it to a religion, unless what you're really trying to do is say that your religion is better than someone else's religion.

In other words, we need to go to their level and take a step forwards with them, instead of us trying to drag them into our direction.
    Ouch. I wouldn't like to be a non Buddhist thinking that Buddhists see me as lower than them, which is what this statement definitely implies. "Look at all the poor little non Buddhists going around with all their suffering and their Jesus and their Allah and their atheism, we must bring all the poor little non Buddhists to Buddhism but they're stupid so we have to make it easier for them". Seriously, ouch.

All I'm seeing on this thread is this idea that Buddhism is right, and everything else is wrong. "My religion is better than your religion" and "my way of doing things is better than your way of doing things".

Have more respect for people. There is nothing wrong with being Christian or being atheist or whatever, it certainly doesn't put you below Buddhists, and it doesn't mean that the only reason that you're not Buddhist is that you don't understand or you find it alienating.

It's naive and narcissistic. As someone said above, a slippery slope.

This doesn't mean there couldn't be more information available to people, but the idea of dumbing down or reducing it in any way to make it more "palatable" is really offensive to current Buddhists and to the people who it's aimed at because it's based around the idea that they're stupid. The idea that you have to hide the Buddhism in Buddhism isn't lying to people, but it's pretty close and based on the assumption that they're too stupid/afraid to be Buddhists. And that's just arrogance.

I'm not shouting at you or anything, but this path you're walking right now is a dangerous one and it's based in naïveté and ignorance. Tread carefully.

With much metta.

:thumbsup:
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @mindatrisk

The fundamental transmission of Evangelism is ego. If you can manage a way of being evangelical without being an ego salesman, do tell.
    I think back to my first real encounter with Buddhism. I had been in Thailand about 10 days and had gone sightseeing, including various Buddhist temples in Bangkok. But that was really more about architecture than religion.

Then I went up country (Chaing Mai) for about a week to meet and visit my roommate's family. They took me sightseeing, including one particular Buddhist temple up on the mountain. There was nothing pushy at all about their attitude. They simply said that they thought I would enjoy "seeing" what Thai Buddhists do at a Buddhist temple. There was no pushing of viewpoints at all. They simply explained the various actions.

And that's all it took for me to be hooked...at least enough to begin reading and searching a bit more.

But every time any member of any religion has preached to me...automatic turnoff.
  • @PedanticPorpoise, What's secular Buddhism?
    One of the great debates is whether Buddhism is a religion or a philosophy. This forum doesn't discuss that much, but others do, and some forums are quite adamant that Buddhism is not a religion.
    I think Buddhism has become a religion, but is still very different from our normal conception of religion...
    However if we apply smidgen of inductive reasoning, "if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @ozen, It'd be a swan... it's just messing with you.
  • That's what ducks do.
  • Or is it a dog?

• As we can read from this wikipedia page notion of compassion is not specific to Buddhism. More generally every person has his/her own believes and his/her own way to find happiness. e.g. I personally don't know nothing about Buddhism. I have only heard of the four noble truths, but don't know what they really are. I belong to a Hindu family (though personally I am an atheist) and all that I have learned from Hinduism it is to be a good human being, and in that sense I do not see any difference between Buddhism or Hinduism, Islam, or Christianity or any other religion. So probably its a better idea if one can first learn the essence of all difference religions and tell people good things from their own religion; this way it would be psychologically easier for them to understand things.
  • Okay, a lot of feedback, I appreciate it all, some of it is very strong, and that's great, and some of the strong sentiments are definitely justified as I was sloppy in the language I used, although the intent was not to be condescending of anyone, but hey ho, it's just a learning curve, and I don't feel in principle that there is anything wrong with my stated aim, it's just about finding a way of doing it. I'll have another read through and address some of the stronger points because that's where ideas can be shaped and understood better, but thank you to everyone for their replies, it's great to see so many different angles of thoughts around this. :)
  • mindatrisk:

Trying to adapt Buddhism to the hedonist values and aims of modern culture is the destruction of Buddhism. The proper course of action is for modern culture to adapt to Buddhism by first giving up its deep attachment to materialism, hedonistic values, and scientism.
    I think what needs to be done is to find common ground. We need to go to the masses with something that they can relate to and begin to build a dialogue and an understanding around those similarities. I remember the Dalai Lama writing a letter to the armed forces commending them on their courage and how vital courage was as a spiritual component… I remember he got a lot of stick for this as it seemed like he was supporting violence, but I saw someone skilfully finding a common thread in the hope of building something around it. It wasn’t him adapting to the mindset of trained killers, but finding a common bond that would keep them open to him. He could have condemned them all, but that would isolate them, and then no-one would listen to him.

Ouch. I wouldn't like to be a non Buddhist thinking that Buddhists see me as lower than them, which is what this statement definitely implies. "Look at all the poor little non Buddhists going around with all their suffering and their Jesus and their Allah and their atheism, we must bring all the poor little non Buddhists to Buddhism but they're stupid so we have to make it easier for them". Seriously, ouch.

That’s some spicy metta you have there! I love your passion and conviction, and for calling it as you see it, and calling me out on my mistakes. So, thank you. I’d love to hear more from you, because you will keep me on my toes and keep me focused. To your points…

I love Jesus, I have no problem with him at all, I think he was the perfect Buddhist. I certainly don’t see any human being as lower than anyone else - but that wasn’t clear from my language, so apologies. When I referred to ‘levels’ I was referring to levels of consciousness… and I wasn’t actually talking about the difference in these levels between various religions, but between Buddhism and regular Joes, whoever and whatever they may be, but generally materialistic types. If these levels didn’t exist then we wouldn’t be aspiring to Buddhism, so evidently there are ‘levels’.

These levels don’t make anyone better than anyone else, but it would be fair to say that the ‘level’ of the Dalai Lama is more desirable individually and collectively than, say, George W. Bush. But, your religion or practice does not determine your consciousness… your consciousness determines your consciousness. You can be a Buddhist and still be a dickhead (as I suspect some of you may be considering me to be!), and you can be an atheist and be wonderfully compassionate and caring.

All I'm seeing on this thread is this idea that Buddhism is right, and everything else is wrong. "My religion is better than your religion" and "my way of doing things is better than your way of doing things".

I don’t think I’ve said anywhere that Buddhism is right… in fact, haven’t I spent most of this thread giving examples of all the things I see wrong in Buddhism?

Have more respect for people. There is nothing wrong with being Christian or being atheist or whatever, it certainly doesn't put you below Buddhists, and it doesn't mean that the only reason that you're not Buddhist is that you don't understand or you find it alienating.

I might be wrong, and please quote me if I am, but I don’t recall saying anywhere that there is anything wrong with being Christian. It makes no difference to me what religion you are, I’m only concerned about what is in your heart - are you a caring, compassionate individual, or not? And I think that has been clearly expressed throughout this thread… but if not then I apologise.

This doesn't mean there couldn't be more information available to people, but the idea of dumbing down or reducing it in any way to make it more "palatable" is really offensive to current Buddhists and to the people who it's aimed at because it's based around the idea that they're stupid.

I don’t think that adapting your message to meet an audience means that that audience is dumb, not at all. It just means you recognise that humans are individuals, that they have different learning styles, different cultural norms and attitudes, and that how you express an idea to one person might not be appropriate for another. That doesn’t mean that anyone is dumb. From the Buddha himself onwards there is a long tradition of skilfully articulating / presenting your ideas, and that is all I am suggesting, but your words above seem to negate that path as valid. Do you feel that Buddhism should hold a static and, maybe, consistent form rather than seeking to be fluid and adaptive to its circumstances?

The idea that you have to hide the Buddhism in Buddhism isn't lying to people, but it's pretty close and based on the assumption that they're too stupid/afraid to be Buddhists. And that's just arrogance.

I’ll give you an example that will hopefully illustrate what I’m trying to share… My best friend is a devote Christian, and obviously there are times when she has troubles, and as her best friend I want to help her out. Now, what I’ve learnt is that if I respond to her problem with ‘the Buddha states X,Y&Z’ then she has no interest at all, because for her there becomes a conflict between religions. But if instead I just say ‘X,Y&Z’ then she’ll appreciate the wisdom and the ideas very much! And so, you see, sometimes it is wise to forget the source and just get to the wisdom… I mean, if it helps then does it really matter that the source is overlooked?

I'm not shouting at you or anything, but this path you're walking right now is a dangerous one and it's based in naïveté and ignorance. Tread carefully.

I disagree, but I appreciate your points of view and engaging with you will certainly help me to clarify some ideas I have. Please keep contributing. J
    @mindatrisk

The fundamental transmission of Evangelism is ego. If you can manage a way of being evangelical without being an ego salesman, do tell.
    Simple... set an example. There is nothing else a loving individual need do. People will come to you and ask if they see something in your actions worth understanding. if you need to go to people and beat them over the head to get them to listen then you probably aren't worth listening to. I do my best to set an example and to walk the talk that i'd like to articulate. And there is no room for ego in there!
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Kind people are the greatest role model for being kind yourself. I think that as Buddhism grows in places like America, with more people following paths of practice that lead to greater kindness and compassion, this will have a ripple effect. Not only will Buddhism have grown, but so too this kindness and compassion. As that grows, there will be more interest in Buddhism. It'll all feed itself...
  • If these levels didn’t exist then we wouldn’t be aspiring to Buddhism, so evidently there are ‘levels’.
    When you say "levels" do you mean morality? I agree that if morality didn't exist we wouldn't be aspiring to Buddhism.
    if it helps then does it really matter that the source is overlooked?
    Yes it does, because religion is all about meaning and meaning needs it's roots.
  • Kind people are the greatest role model for being kind yourself. I think that as Buddhism grows in places like America, with more people following paths of practice that lead to greater kindness and compassion, this will have a ripple effect. Not only will Buddhism have grown, but so too this kindness and compassion. As that grows, there will be more interest in Buddhism. It'll all feed itself...
    Indeed! Perfectly said! And my aim is simply to do everything I can to spread kindness and compassion as far as possible and to as many people in my lifetime as possible. To me, it is infinitely more important to try to spread love than it is to try to spread Buddhism, but with the caveat that, in using techniques from Buddhism to spread that love even if Buddhism is not immediately accredited - for the reasons that i've stated - then Buddhism will spread further, because at some point people will wish to take it to another level and will seek out the source and that is when Buddhism can be sighted. I mean, i'm not trying to cut out overt Buddhism, i'm just thinking of how we can get more people to it, and I think the best way to do that is to first and foremost promote kindness and compassion.

• mindatriskmindatrisk Veteran
    edited July 2012

When you say "levels" do you mean morality? I agree that if morality didn't exist we wouldn't be aspiring to Buddhism.

Yeah... different levels of morality, different levels of loving behaviour etc. The Dalai Lama is on a higher level of morality than a rapist or murderer. I don't see any contention in stating that. It doesn't mean that the Dalai Lama is better than anyone else, because the rapist and the murderer have reasons and causes for their actions, and if the Dalai Lama experienced those causes then he too may have become a rapist or murderer.

Yes it does, because religion is all about meaning and meaning needs it's roots.

What, then, is more important to you, that we have religion or that we have love? I don't care about religion. Religion is a manual, a map, a device, but if all human beings were perfectly loving without the need for religion then that would be fine.

• Kind people are the greatest role model for being kind yourself. I think that as Buddhism grows in places like America, with more people following paths of practice that lead to greater kindness and compassion, this will have a ripple effect. Not only will Buddhism have grown, but so too this kindness and compassion. As that grows, there will be more interest in Buddhism. It'll all feed itself...
    The same could be said of any religion. Statistically, Mormonism is the fastest growing religion in the U.S.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @ozen, You're right. If there are more kind people of a certain religion, that religion will grow. Or it'll also grow if there are a lot of children indoctrinated, which is why Christianity grew so much. Exponential growth through generations. ;) I'm not for indoctrination... seems too much like brainwashing.
    The same could be said of any religion. Statistically, Mormonism is the fastest growing religion in the U.S.
    So long as they are spreading love and compassion then wonderful! If they are not, then question it. It doesn't matter what guise love blossoms under. We don't need Mormons, Buddhists, Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Jews... we need truly loving people, if following certain paths gets us there then I don't see what else matters.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    So long as they are spreading love and compassion then wonderful! If they are not, then question it. It doesn't matter what guise love blossoms under. We don't need Mormons, Buddhists, Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Jews... we need truly loving people, if following certain paths gets us there then I don't see what else matters.
    I like your attitude! Focus on bringing people together first, on love. That does indeed matter more than what religion someone follows. If they choose to follow Buddhism, then so be it... if not, so be it.

• Yes it does, because religion is all about meaning and meaning needs it's roots.
    What, then, is more important to you, that we have religion or that we have love? I don't care about religion. Religion is a manual, a map, a device, but if all human beings were perfectly loving without the need for religion then that would be fine.
    Meaning is important. We all desire meaning and it's what religion is all about. It doesn't matter if you don't care about meaning, if indeed you don't. Everyone else does. Religion or meaning is not a manual, map or device. It's a need.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @ozen, I think meaning isn't always a need, at least not one we need religion to supply. If it were, everyone would be religious. We can find meaning in life without religion. Many do. I'm sure there are many Buddhists who don't follow Buddhism because of "meaning", but out of some other desire... to know reality as it is, or alleviate suffering.
  • Yes it does, because religion is all about meaning and meaning needs it's roots.
    Meaning is important. We all desire meaning and it's what religion is all about. It doesn't matter if you don't care about meaning, if indeed you don't. Everyone else does. Religion or meaning is not a manual, map or device. It's a need.

Okay, cool. I'm not sure that athiests will agree that religion is a need. With regards meaning... if something does indeed have inherent meaning then i'd agree that it is meaningful, but as far as I can tell, what we consider meaningful is subjective and self diagnosed... which is fine, and if creating meaning is helpful to us then great, but that doesn't mean that meaning exists, just that we have a desire to experience meaning, even if it is only what we ourselves have attributed as meaning.
  • I'm sure there are many Buddhists who don't follow Buddhism because of "meaning", but out of some other desire... to know reality as it is, or alleviate suffering.
    That's a funny thought, Cloud, that "to know reality as it is" and to "alleviate suffering" are meaningless.
  • I'm sure there are many Buddhists who don't follow Buddhism because of "meaning", but out of some other desire... to know reality as it is, or alleviate suffering.
    That's a funny thought, Cloud, that "to know reality as it is" and to "alleviate suffering" are meaningless.
    They may be meaningful to him, but that does not mean that they are meaningful.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @ozen, Not meaningless in themselves, but they don't ascribe some higher purpose to a human's life, such as doing God's will. They are something chosen by us for a purpose. We want to know, so we investigate. We want to alleviate our suffering, so we follow the path. No one's telling us to do it, or telling us that's our purpose in life. That's the kind of meaning I'm talking about... do try and not take things the wrong way all the time. I think you just like to argue with me. ;)
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited July 2012
    I might be wrong, and please quote me if I am
    OK.
    My best friend is Christian, and she won't go near Buddhism, not even to attempt to understand it, because she sees it as a conflicting religion competing with her own... Yet she would obviously benefit massively from Buddhist teachings, and so if these teachings are presented without the religious cloak and without association with anything religious or even spiritual - which is easy enough for Buddhism - and if this means that more and more people embrace and utilise these teachings, then surely this should be how we as Buddhists move forwards?
    You simply can not possibly know what is best for her or what she would benefit from. You don't know her karma. What may look like disaster to you may be a moment of intense spiritual growth for her. You simply don't know. As a Christian following the teachings of Christ, she is guided.
    But the main point is that Jesus commanded his followers to love unconditionally... now that is a lot easier to say than it is to do, and it is evident that in the last 2000 years that the vast majority of Christians have come nowhere near being able to love unconditionally, and why? Because no-one explained how! Or, even why it is so important. It remains an abstract ideal in the minds of most Christians that seems almost unattainable, or only in the realm of Jesus himself. So, where does Buddhism fit in? Well, Buddhism teaches people how to practice tolerance, patience, compassion etc. and it explains why and it explains all its benefits... are not tolerance, patience etc. all components of love?
    The Bible shows you how to love unconditionally. People don't need Buddhism for that. This is what I was saying about you talking about Christians as if Buddhist were somehow better.
    Maybe I will create a forum where people can go to offer their 'teachings' or their adaptations of Buddhist teachings to meet the specific requirements i've outlined?
    So, basically water them down further and further and reduce them to the understanding of a particular person's submission? And when people who aren't particularly evolved start submitting things, they will be given equal credence and value? I guess you could call it socialist Buddhism or something :lol:
    We cannot be stubborn about our practice! The happiness of all living beings is much more precious and vital than keeping any teaching intact.
    The reason they bring peace is that they have been left in tact and haven't been diluted.
    If in massacring the Buddhist faith we extract core ideas that actually bring happiness to people then surely the Buddha would be most pleased!
    I doubt the Buddha set so many rules just so that 2500 years later you could break them all. Why would he have even bothered with 80,000 teachings if it were so simple?
    Buddhism has the solution to the worlds greatest problem... which is suffering and unhappiness.
    Again, the "my religion is better than your religion" attitude.
    Everyone wants to be happy and relieve suffering, so why when there is a path to achieving this are so few practicing it? Because, I think, it is unclear, intimidating, people do not know what Buddhism is truly about, and also because it is very insular...
    Essentially, because people are stupid and afraid. Not because they've made seasoned, rational decisions.
    There are things in the way... quite obviously, otherwise everyone would practice Buddhism
    No they wouldn't. And again, the "Buddhism is the best" attitude.
    There is no ‘human condition’. You are what you say you are.
    Yes there is and no I'm not. I said I'm a hamburger 1000 times, nothing changed.
    there is no human who doesn't value and desire kindness
    Psychopaths, to give one example of people who don't value kindness. Pedophiles. Rapists. The list goes on...
    Why do you say 'arrogance'? I think it takes great humility to go to someone you see suffering and share your experience and understanding as a possible means of helping them.
    You may see someone as suffering, that doesn't mean they are suffering. One man's meat is another man's poison. Aside from that, there is the point I made earlier about you not knowing their karma or what they need in this lifetime for their own spiritual evolution.
    I mean, if it helps then does it really matter that the source is overlooked?
    Yes, because it provides context and also shows that the teaching has withstood the test of time.

You asked for an alternate point of view and there you have it. I've pointed out what I see as errors in the hope that they may be of some use to you.

If you're not very careful with this kind of endeavor you could potentially lead many people astray, whether you mean to or not, so just be cautious.

Best wishes and kindest regards.
  • @ozen, Not meaningless in themselves, but they don't ascribe some higher purpose to a human's life, such as doing God's will. They are something chosen by us for a purpose. We want to know, so we investigate. We want to alleviate our suffering, so we follow the path. No one's telling us to do it, or telling us that's our purpose in life. That's the kind of meaning I'm talking about... do try and not take things the wrong way all the time. I think you just like to argue with me. ;)
    Lol, you're too funny Cloud. Okay no argument, just tell me whether or not "to know reality as it is" and "to alleviate suffering" are meaningful to you. Or just say nothing and I'll assume that you find these things meaningful. :)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @ozen, I didn't say they weren't meaningful to me. :D If I pick up a screwdriver, there's meaning there too (the Noble Eightfold Path is, to me, a screwdriver). There is relative meaning in everything, but some religions tell you what your meaning is, what your purpose is. That's something else. Buddhism doesn't say it's every human's meaning to be a Buddhist, to do Buddha's will. This is the difference that I'm talking about... finding meaning for yourself, or being told by someone else what your meaning is. Even if it's a "need" to find meaning, we don't necessarily need religion for that, as religion is not the sole domain of meaning.

You said "religion or meaning" is a need, and to that I say you're only maybe half right. The religion part is not the need, if there is indeed a need. A need for speed. Err nevermind that's from a movie...
  • some religions tell you what your meaning is, what your purpose is.
    Whether or not that's true, how is it relevant?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @ozen, Nevermind. I don't feel like a repeat of that other thread's long argument. ;) From now on I think I'll have to limit my replies to two, or something, otherwise it seems there's always something to argue about and keep it going. It's not helpful (at least it hasn't proven to be), and it's distracting for others.
  • You said "religion or meaning" is a need, and to that I say you're only maybe half right. The religion part is not the need, if there is indeed a need.
    Let's try to be clear. Do you believe that people normally desire meaning?
  • Cloud, when I say needs I mean something like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs

You follow?
  • Thank you again. I have to say that, whilst I appreciate the effort and time you have put in to help raise my awareness, you do take a lot of license with what I say. And apologies, I couldn't figure out the quoting for this, so just put your words in bold.

You simply can not possibly know what is best for her or what she would benefit from. You don't know her karma. What may look like disaster to you may be a moment of intense spiritual growth for her. You simply don't know. As a Christian following the teachings of Christ, she is guided.

Me saying that my friend would benefit greatly from Buddhism is not the same as me saying that I know what is best for her. I don’t know what is best for her, and I can’t know what is best for her, but as my best friend I can have a good idea of what will benefit her, and vice-versa, for she has shared a lot of Christ’s teachings that have benefited me greatly. Again, I don’t see the contention in what I’m saying. The only contention arises when you state that I’ve said something that I haven’t.

The Bible shows you how to love unconditionally. People don't need Buddhism for that. This is what I was saying about you talking about Christians as if Buddhist were somehow better.

But this is just your interpretation, because no-where do I say that Buddhism is better than Christianity. Me saying that Christians could benefit from Buddhism does not mean that I think Buddhists are better, and I also believe that Buddhists can benefit a lot from Christ’s teachings. I can’t even see how I am insinuating that Buddhism is better than Christianity. It’s a huge, huge leap from X can benefit Y to X is better than Y.

So, basically water them down further and further and reduce them to the understanding of a particular person's submission? And when people who aren't particularly evolved start submitting things, they will be given equal credence and value? I guess you could call it socialist Buddhism or something :lol:

No! How does ‘adapting’ translate as ‘watering down’? As for contributions… credence and value are entirely subjective. We may get the village idiot write something her that 99% of us laugh at, but then one person may derive massive value from… take what works, disregard the rest. Good ideas will stand the test of time, the not-so-good will disappear.

The reason they bring peace is that they have been left in tact and haven't been diluted.

Who has said anything about diluting any teachings? And don’t the numerous branches of Buddhism suggest that there are different approaches to the same set of teachings, that there is no one set of teachings ‘left in tact’?

I doubt the Buddha set so many rules just so that 2500 years later you could break them all. Why would he have even bothered with 80,000 teachings if it were so simple?

The Buddha was teaching a path to enlightenment, and all I’m suggesting is that we aim - for now - for simply more love and compassion. From that raised base maybe then people will seek enlightenment, and then the Buddha’s teachings will come into full force. I’m just saying that for the vast populance of this planet it would be more than enough to simply get them acting with more kindness and care.

Again, the "my religion is better than your religion" attitude.

No! I said that Buddhism has the solution to suffering, because it does, but that is not the same as me saying that it is better than anyone else. Bananas have the solution to hunger… is that the same as me saying that bananas are better than any other food for solving hunger?

Essentially, because people are stupid and afraid. Not because they've made seasoned, rational decisions.

Again, I don’t understand the leap you are making. I simply said that I think there are obstacles to people practicing Buddhism, but you interpret that as me saying that people are stupid and afraid…? So, are there no obstacles to people practicing Buddhism?

No they wouldn't. And again, the "Buddhism is the best" attitude.

No, just simple logic. If Buddhism ends suffering and everyone wants to end suffering, then everyone should practice Buddhism. You might argue that Buddhism doesn’t end suffering, or that there are better systems to end suffering, or even that people don’t want to end suffering, but what I’ve outlined above is logical, there is no way around the argument, but you can challenge the premises, by all means.

Yes there is and no I'm not. I said I'm a hamburger 1000 times, nothing changed.

Okay, what I was meaning was that we are what we believe we are.

Psychopaths, to give one example of people who don't value kindness. Pedophiles. Rapists. The list goes on...

Might not the root cause of the above behaviours be a lack of kindness and love? And anyway, why would having sex with a child or forcing sex upon someone else mean that you don’t value or desire kindness or love?

You may see someone as suffering, that doesn't mean they are suffering. One man's meat is another man's poison. Aside from that, there is the point I made earlier about you not knowing their karma or what they need in this lifetime for their own spiritual evolution.

I understand this, but I work with recovering addicts, and they come to our organisation because they are suffering and want our help, and so we give it. Whether I see them as suffering or not is irrelevant, because they state that they are suffering and ask for our help.

You asked for an alternate point of view and there you have it. I've pointed out what I see as errors in the hope that they may be of some use to you.

Best wishes and kindest regards.

I appreciate it, but I don’t understand what you have written, because, basically, you are arguing against things that I haven’t actually said, but that you have interpreted or deduced, and on most occasions those interpretations are huge leaps that I can’t see any grounds for making. I say ‘adapt’ and you say ‘water down’, I say ‘benefit’ and you say ‘better than’. I don’t see the connections and so I’m confused. It almost seems like you are responding less to what I say and more to what you suspect my motives to be… which is your call, but since you can’t know my motives, I think it would be healthier to just address my words than try to relate them to what you think my intentions may be.
  • ThePensumThePensum Explorer

basically, you are arguing against things that I haven’t actually said, but that you have interpreted or deduced, and on most occasions those interpretations are huge leaps that I can’t see any grounds for making.
    You've hit the nail on the head here. Forgive me for being human but in many ways it is up to me to interpret your words. With your over-arching goal to reach the masses, this is perhaps your first lesson: that a lot of people aren't going to get your meaning. And you were told to tread carefully here.

It seemed to me RebeccaS wasn't drawing any long lines from your previous postings.

Whether or not it was your intention, your arguments have also come across to me as somewhat arrogant. Using phrases like [reach the/teach the] "masses", simple logic as "if Buddhism ends suffering and everyone wants to end suffering, then everyone should practice Buddhism" comes across as a holier-than-thou attitude. Even "Dharma for the masses"! Again, perhaps this is not consciously your intention; but it certainly does not come across like that.

You also mentioned "Who has said anything about diluting any teachings?" I thought this was your whole point, that some dilution was necessary to teach Buddhism to the ignorant masses, and removing the shrouds of mysticism and religion that you currently believe is encircling the teaching and providing a barrier to those unfortunate souls.

"no-where do I say that Buddhism is better than Christianity." - My apologies if I've found that you have implied this message pervading throughout all your previous postings.

MK
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @mindatrisk No, I'm not. I'm responding to a naive and idealistic person exhibiting similar thought patterns and belief systems that I once had. You know, changing the world and all that. I'm commenting simply as someone who has already been where you are today. Your motives aren't special or unique, they are the same as all of the people who went before you in this kind of endeavor. So, I can know your motives. Sure there are nuances, grey areas and there's your personal life that I can't possibly know about, but overall, I have a pretty good idea.

You work with addicts? Then you know basically how this works, and we have common ground here because as well as being an addict I also worked with them.

They're all basically the same, right? Sure, they have different stories, different backgrounds etc., but that's just the content. The context, which is the nature of the addiction, is the same with all of them and so even without knowing their individual story you still have a pretty good idea of where they're coming from.

There are certain "tells", certain things that they do, things that they say, the ways they say it, and even though the content differs from person to person, the pattern (context) is always the same and it becomes pretty easy to see just how far gone they are in their addiction with very little content, if any at all.

These tells become especially easy to pick up on when you've been there yourself.

So, rather than making huge leaps, I'm actually just picking up on your "tells" which I've learned to recognize through personal experience. Your words simply confirmed them.
    edited July 2012
    I'm responding to a naive and idealistic person exhibiting similar thought patterns and belief systems that I once had. You know, changing the world and all that.
    Why I take an interest in this thread :-)
  • @mindatrisk, @RebeccaS, @ThePensum and all others, here is a prayer of love for all of you -

May blessings of love be upon you,
    May its peace abide with you,
    May its essence illuminate your heart,
    Now and forever more ..

have a good day :)
  • @dushya that was really kind, thank you :)
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran

@mindatrisk:
    "I don't think the west is historically Christian... Christianity is 2000 years old, human civilization is hundreds of thousands of years old,"

Yes the West is historical Christian. Much of the art over the past 1,000 in Europe was inspired by Christ. Monuments, Churches, Cathedrals, the greatest architecture, some of the greatest music (Bach's Passion comes to mind, or any of his cantatas) were composed for the Church, for Christianity.
    Civilization is not hundreds of thousands of years old. Civilization can probably date as far back as 5,000 years. I'll give you 20,000 years. Before that, we were just warring tribes.
    What you are perhaps saying is that a human born in the West is not biologically inclined towards Christianity necessarily. This I will grant you.
    MK

You may want to redefine your definition of "civilization" because it is much, much, much older than you think, but that's not why I highlighted this part of ^your^ quote. Yes, it's true that a lot of mideval and renaissance art reflects christian dogma, but where does this Christian dogma come from? Cathedrals are said to be an artistic interpretation of the human form as a microcosm of the entire universe, which is the kind of thought that seems to superceed Christian dogma. It's Vetruvian dogma really. Vetruvius was the right hand man (architectual philosopher type guy) of Marcus Aurileus, the empire builder of Rome. The Vetruvian writings predate Christ and worked their way into a lot of philosophy that merely shouldered up to Christianity. A great book on this topic is called Da Vinci's Ghost: Genius, Obsession, and How Leonardo Created the World in His Own Image by Toby Lester. The whole book is essentially about the DaVinci drawing called the Vetruvian Man, though it is defenitely more interesting than I am making it sound. More than that, many artists of those eras did commissioned work of biblical stuff just so that they could go back to doing their own art, free of the influence of Christianity. There was a lot more doubt in that era than you may think, as highlighted in the extensive book called, Doubt by Jennifer Michael Hecht.

And yes, civilization is probably 50,000- 80,000 year old. Just don't depend on the History Department of your University to explain this, because they have absolutely no "stones" to do such a thing.
    @mindatrisk:

I think that you're making two mistakes here.

First, the only people to whom we should provide opportunities to learn about Buddhism are people who are open to Buddhism. Otherwise, you're trying to force something on them, which is not a very Buddhist thing to do (and, how do you like it when someone has tried to force some religious stream on you?).

Second, for those who are open to Buddhism...what's the problem? I just Googled Buddhism and got 56.3 million hits. If you go to your local bookstore, you're likely to find at least a dozen books about Buddhism...some shallow, some too deep for most...but all have food for thought. And if you go to Amazon books, you will find 26,706 entires. There is no shortage of information out there.
    edited July 2012
    @PedanticPorpoise, What's secular Buddhism?
    One of the great debates is whether Buddhism is a religion or a philosophy. This forum doesn't discuss that much, but others do, and some forums are quite adamant that Buddhism is not a religion.

I was in a book store the other day asking about Zen books, but only after I looked for a while... He said, "oh that's probably in the religion section" and I said, "Oh yeah.... I was looking in the Philosophy section"....

Religion is a Latin word that means "to submit". Philosophy doesn't ask this of you, it asks you to "consider". Maybe the problem we have is using the word "religion" when talking about Buddhism. Perhaps?

• Hi Mindatrisk,
    I'd like to start thinking about what we can do to take Buddhist teachings to a wider audience. The motive is simple... As Buddhists our core aim and function is to relieve the suffering of others, and since there remains, after 2500 years, ample suffering in the world then our responsibility is to continue to find ways to relieve that suffering.
    Can it honestly be said that the core aim and function of Buddhists is to relieve the suffering of others? People take up religions for all sorts of reasons and others are simply born into them.
    I'm sure that no-one here is of any doubt that the Buddha's skillful, insightful teachings, when implemented in our lives, have the most potential of any spiritual philosophy for relieving suffering and bringing happiness.
    It's odd that you should say this in a topic about "adapting" the teaching to be more effective. In any case, I don't personally know if there is something more effective for the purpose that you outline.
    However, regardless of this the Buddha's teachings have not made their way into mainstream society in the west - certainly they are more evident, but given the degree of suffering, including depression and stress, in our modern society, I certainly feel that Buddhism has not been as embraced as a real solution as its core merits deserve.

Why is this? Well, my honest feeling is that the Buddha's teachings have become shrouded in a lot of unattractive, intimidating, and unnecessarily abstract elements that put people off, and that the essential teachings that can and will bring happiness are being overlooked, misunderstood and tangled up in elements that are not vital or overly helpful to a modern day layperson achieving happiness.
    Have you tried to verify your "feeling" at all? There could be many reasons that Buddhism is not as popular in the West as you believe it deserves to be. In fact, the "intimidating, and unnecessarily abstract elements" may actually attract many people to Buddhism who would otherwise be uninterested.

And what about places in the world that have fully embraced Buddhism? Cambodia, for example, is 95% Buddhist. Is there a significant difference in the degree of suffering between Cambodia and a country like the U.S.?
    To successfully integrate the Buddha's teachings in our life, i.e. to be happy and relieve our suffering, does not require any understanding of anything but our tangible day to day existence. To understand karma does not require any great leap of imagination or insight... we can relate karma to simple and understandable experiences, for example, if we act with anger towards someone then there is a good chance that they will act with anger back. Exploring these basic aspects of our lives and bringing clarity to them is sufficient to reconsider our behaviour and to become a more caring person.
    Sure, that could be sufficient for some to reconsider their behavior and possibly become more caring.
    What i've noticed on this website and at Buddhist centres etc. is that newbies do not have any real sense of what the essence of Buddhism is. We have people trying to wrap their heads around emptiness, impermanence, karma, meditations, and so on, instead of just recognising their own present and alive Buddha nature that exists within every kind and caring action they perform. This is easily relatable to others - something that every human being identifies with and appreciates, and to me, this is the level that Buddhism needs to be teaching at to successfully achieve what its main purpose is to achieve - the happiness and wellbeing of all life forms.
    Here you seem to be defining Buddha nature as kind and caring action. How will this definition of Buddha nature successfully achieve the happiness and wellbeing of all life forms? And are you sure that every human being can appreciate and identify with this definition?
    Buddhism has always adapted. And it has certainly adapted somewhat to western society, but evidently not enough because suffering still prevails over happiness for most people.
    Getting back to Cambodia where the population is 95% Buddhist. Does happiness prevail over suffering for most Cambodians? If not, have they got it wrong somehow?
    To me, there is nothing in Buddhism that is sacred and that cannot be foresaken for the benefit of others. To promote the Buddha's core teachings does not even require that we speak of the Buddha, lest it intimidates and confuses anyone.
    The Four Nobel Truths could be presented without mentioning the Buddha but, lol, are not these truths in themselves rather intimidating?
    We can take his teachings and adapt them to meet the lives of everyday people and successfully teach them how to be happy and how to relieve suffering, without anyone ever knowing that they are learning Buddhism, and as such we could begin to see the emergence of Buddhists and, maybe, Buddhas, in our world who do not even recognise themselves as what we consider Buddhists.
    It could be called something like, oh, I don't know, how about "The Secret" or "The Power of Now" or "Big Mind"...

Not exactly new territory you're covering, but, there is always room for a new label.
    And look, this does not negate the more complex, abstract teachings of the Buddha that have immense value - it's just that they need to have their own place for the appropriate student. Our focus as Buddhists must be on the skillful promotion and engagement of compassionate teachings to those who are suffering... it does not matter how, it does not matter under which banner it is done, it only matters that people have the tools to be happy and to limit their suffering. If this is done and achieved with no mention of the Buddha but through the Buddha's teachings then so be it. But at the moment I personally see Buddhism as failing. Simply because we do have the tools and the skills to have happiness for everyone on this planet, but we are using them very unskillfully and that is why most human beings do not have these tools and skills.
    We do have the skills but we are using them (tools and skill) very unskillfully? Am I reading that right?
    What does everyone else think? I think I would like to begin a movement that focuses on the practice and promotion of core teachings with the simple aim of bringing increased happiness and reduced suffering to the masses... not a simple task, I know, but spared of religious cloaking and intimidating teachings, I feel there are core ideas that can be easily taught and implemented into everyday lives that successfully bring happiness... but we as Buddhists just need to be a bit more willing to strip back to basics and make the compassionate lifestyle attractive, understandable, and, essentially, easy to live.
    Most importantly, as I see it, you're not clear about what the "core teachings" are.

Thank you. :)

And yes, civilization is probably 50,000- 80,000 year old. Just don't depend on the History Department of your University to explain this, because they have absolutely no "stones" to do such a thing.
    Fair enough. The Australian aborigines have been around that long. But even your dates do not corroborate with the hundreds of thousands of years previously claimed.

But to get back to the point, are you or are you not saying that Christianity was/is the dominant religion, morality, in the West? That was what I was driving at in terms of quoting the inspirations for art and architecture throughout Europe for the past millenium.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @mindatrisk, I definitely share some of your sentiments regarding subtly bringing helpful teachings to those who could benefit but aren't. And not as a sly way to proselytize or convert them, but rather because you can see a tool they seem to need but don't yet have. I'm thinking, for example, of the lojong teaching, "Drive all blames into one." One empowering translation of that is, "So much of your experience is up to YOU, not others--even though it seems on the surface as if you are helpless, in reality you can change your mindset and have a good experience instead of bad."

I still don't apply this one nearly enough, but at least I'm mindful of it now--when someone else does something and I immediately start to grumble inwardly, I stop myself and think, "Okay, it's up to me to be miserable about this or just realize it's not that big a deal."

I know, or feel very, very strongly, that this teaching would help a certain friend of mine. She feels absolutely helpless in the face of life--the smallest thing undoes her, even the way a cashier places the change on the checkout counter; if she thinks the cashier has done it carelessly, she perceives a harm done to herself, that the cashier must be harboring some disrespect or meanness toward her. I mean, it's really intense. More than anyone I currently know, she would benefit from shifting even a tiny bit of responsibility for her feelings to herself, empowering herself to decide how she feels instead of placing literally all the power in everyone else's hands.

I don't believe in the need to convert the masses to Buddhism, but if anyone decides to follow the Buddhist path as the result of learning more about it, I certainly would be happy, since I feel it's a very, very healthy philosophy, psychologically, and relieves an incredible amount of pressure particularly in modern lives. But even if a person just gets a little bit of benefit from this or that teaching, I think that's fine, and very important in its own right.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I think its important to have internalized the teachings fully for oneself before trying to adapt any of the external appearances or one risks changing a core component rather than a superficial presentation.

There is something called The Mind and Life Institute whose mission is to "build a scientific understanding of the mind to reduce suffering and promote well being." They meet every couple years with HHDL to compare notes and get new ideas for areas of research.

One member Richard Davidson has done some pioneering work on the effects of meditation and has a new book about the emotional life of the brain.

• That guy has amazing hair. It's real science hair. Cheers @person that was really interesting, I'll definitely be looking into the institute and that book.
  • @PedanticPorpoise, What's secular Buddhism?

I was in a book store the other day asking about Zen books, but only after I looked for a while... He said, "oh that's probably in the religion section" and I said, "Oh yeah.... I was looking in the Philosophy section"....

Religion is a Latin word that means "to submit". Philosophy doesn't ask this of you, it asks you to "consider". Maybe the problem we have is using the word "religion" when talking about Buddhism. Perhaps?

It could always be a problem to talk about something without understanding it very well.

Etymology of 'religion,' from religare "to bind fast." What good is a religion that fails to "bind"? No good at all.

Fair enough. The Australian aborigines have been around that long. But even your dates do not corroborate with the hundreds of thousands of years previously claimed.

But to get back to the point, are you or are you not saying that Christianity was/is the dominant religion, morality, in the West? That was what I was driving at in terms of quoting the inspirations for art and architecture throughout Europe for the past millenium.
    It may have been dominant in terms of structuring society, but not necesarily within the thoughts of every individual's mind. Thats where Buddhism comes in to play, or semantically Buddhist-like ideals of cultivating truth from within. That type of stuff happened in mideval Europe, regardless of the financial and oppressive grip that the church had over the society as a whole. For some people, no threat can come between the truth cultivated in one's own mind. You should read some of the testimonials of some of these guys that went before the Spanish Inquisition... its facsinating bravery in the face of certain death, and some of it reads like some wild hearted enlightenment that could have inspired the whole European continent to ditch the cross and find a bodhi tree, of sorts. The truth is the truth, people have always come to this realization. Its just super cool that Buddhism lays it out for you, so when it comes to you, you can instantly reckognize it.

edited July 2012
    @ozen- I meant to say that it was rooted in Latin, and I feel that the distinction that you made served more to strengthen what i was trying to say rather than detract from it, so, thank you. :thumbsup:
This discussion has been closed.