Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Dharma for the masses

Comments

• @ozen- I meant to say that it was rooted in Latin, and I feel that the distinction that you made served more to strengthen what i was trying to say rather than detract from it, so, thank you. :thumbsup:
    You're referring to religiō "obligation, the bond between man and the gods". Interestingly, one interpretation connects lego "read", i.e. re (again) + lego in the sense of "choose", "go over again" or "consider carefully".
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    hmm... that is interesting....

• @mindatrisk No, I'm not. I'm responding to a naive and idealistic person exhibiting similar thought patterns and belief systems that I once had. You know, changing the world and all that. I'm commenting simply as someone who has already been where you are today. Your motives aren't special or unique, they are the same as all of the people who went before you in this kind of endeavor. So, I can know your motives. Sure there are nuances, grey areas and there's your personal life that I can't possibly know about, but overall, I have a pretty good idea.

Nothing wrong with being naive! It gets you into some beautiful places… like this here discussion, because it cracks open the lock of what is deemed to be correct and proper, and drags all the pieces out to be played with. Whether I am right or wrong in my thoughts, it only helps our own understanding to at least engage in these challenging discussions.

Changing the world and all that. Hmm. I am absolutely 100% a world changer. Since I was 18 and I had some kind of awakening, I’ve felt in the deepest parts of my soul that I am here to make a difference to the world. From the age of 18 to my present 29 years I have taken on an onslaught from people who, like you, have told me, basically, to ‘get real’, and that I am naïve, idealistic, dreamer etc. etc. But every year, contrary to what my well intention commentators have to say, I grow more, become more capable of making a difference, and actually do make more of a difference to those around me, and so whilst my peers discourage me, life continues to lift me up and give more reason to keep moving forwards with what my heart aches to do. It’s difficult, and I am riddled with self doubts, but where once your words would have crushed me and left me desolate for a long period, now they are just another raindrop in the storm I have already been drowned in, only now I welcome each drop as a cleansing shower that removes me from any concern for what people feel they can judge about me.

Let’s be clear… you have not been where I am today. There are countless factors that go into a lifetime that add infinite dimensions to one intention. One man wishes to make millions and lives in poverty, another man wishes to make millions and makes billions. I am here stating clearly that I wish to make a difference to this world in whatever way my soul determines… I have no investment, I don’t dictate where my path leads me, I just follow where my heart goes, and yeah, it terrifies me, and for a long time I tried to wriggle my way off it every time I could, but all that happened was that I ended up miserable, and so I’ve learnt to just get on with it and trust that whatever is to be is to be. So yes, my motives are to help to create a better world, I’m sorry if that is not palatable to you, but really it’s not my concern. I might be here to make a billion, but I might also end up in the gutter, but so long as I have been true to myself then I’ll at least have a smile on my face.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @mindatrisk, I don't see anything wrong with people who dream about changing the world. Those are the people who grow up to actually change the world, because they're motivated to do so. It's just like any dream that you're passionate about. Sure we may have to adjust our expectations along the way, or adjust how exactly we think we can change the world, but changing it is certainly possible. It's all part of the journey.

I say keep on keepin' on. If one way doesn't work, figure out another. It's a noble cause to want to alleviate suffering. Keep refining it, using what people say to adjust, but don't take them all too seriously and certainly don't give up just because they can't imagine you can make a difference. You can make a huge difference, I believe that.
  • So yes, my motives are to help to create a better world, I’m sorry if that is not palatable to you, but really it’s not my concern.
    I believe Rebecca mentioned that she recognizes where you seem to be, that she's been there herself. Nothing about creating a better world being unpalatable. And indeed if your aim is to create a better world shouldn't you be concerned about people who find this goal unpalatable?
  • So yes, my motives are to help to create a better world, I’m sorry if that is not palatable to you, but really it’s not my concern.
    I believe Rebecca mentioned that she recognizes where you seem to be, that she's been there herself. Nothing about creating a better world being unpalatable. And indeed if your aim is to create a better world shouldn't you be concerned about people who find this goal unpalatable?
    I used to have the attitude that every mind was worth the effort of turning, i.e. prove myself to the doubters, but mannn, that exhausts so much effort! AND, it rarely works. Jesus Christ himself could not change the minds of those who persecuted him, so there is little hope for me making a dent in some peoples perception of me. I think anyone who stands up and does what they can to make a difference and speak truthfully will divide opinion. Thankfully, i'm just a little foot soldier in the greater cause, so I probs won't end up being nailed to a cross. :D
  • @mindatrisk, I don't see anything wrong with people who dream about changing the world. Those are the people who grow up to actually change the world, because they're motivated to do so. It's just like any dream that you're passionate about. Sure we may have to adjust our expectations along the way, or adjust how exactly we think we can change the world, but changing it is certainly possible. It's all part of the journey.

I say keep on keepin' on. If one way doesn't work, figure out another. It's a noble cause to want to alleviate suffering. Keep refining it, using what people say to adjust, but don't take them all too seriously and certainly don't give up just because they can't imagine you can make a difference. You can make a huge difference, I believe that.
    Thanks! I appreciate your encouragement a lot. This thread has become a bit distracted now, but i'm thinking about some starting points for a new 'concise' compassionate teaching.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    I think its important to have internalized the teachings fully for oneself before trying to adapt any of the external appearances or one risks changing a core component rather than a superficial presentation.
    I agree, and that process can take a lifetime.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    By way of example, as mentioned above, I think of the concept "reasoned belief is stronger than blind belief." I think it would be good for Buddhism if people realized this is an important philosophy of Buddhism--but beyond that, I think it's a concept which would be healthy for people to consider adopting in general.
    I agree, and you'd think that approach would resonate with western minds. Ironically though I keep meeting people who are firmly attached to un-reasoned beliefs.

;)
  • I think its important to have internalized the teachings fully for oneself before trying to adapt any of the external appearances or one risks changing a core component rather than a superficial presentation.
    I agree, and that process can take a lifetime.
    It can take a thousand lifetimes! The question is, which lifetime are we on...

:)

• Can it honestly be said that the core aim and function of Buddhists is to relieve the suffering of others? People take up religions for all sorts of reasons and others are simply born into them.

My personal feeling is that a Buddhist or a Christian or a Muslim can only be defined by their acting in accordance with the core ideals of that particular practice. Being born and raised in a Buddhist country does not make you a Buddhist, nor would becoming a Buddhist because there is a hot girl at the local meditation class. I was born in a Christian country, and I went to a Christian school, and I was baptised… but these things do not make a Christian, what makes me a Christian is that I follow the example of Jesus by practicing unconditional love for all, and what makes me a Buddhist is that I practice compassion for all living beings… and yes, I definitely think that the core aim and function of Buddhism is to relieve the suffering of others, for the simple reason that any other aspect or practice of Buddhism could be taken away and it would still be Buddhism, but if you removed compassion from Buddhism then it could no longer be Buddhism.

It's odd that you should say this in a topic about "adapting" the teaching to be more effective. In any case, I don't personally know if there is something more effective for the purpose that you outline.

Well, let’s see what we can do! The Buddha gave his teachings in a very different time and culture, and we have different challenges ahead of us now, none more so than our modern capacity for mass destruction through nuclear, biological and chemical weapons, and the technological and ideological systems that now exist for suppressing mankind and keeping them locked into a materialistic mindset.

Have you tried to verify your "feeling" at all? There could be many reasons that Buddhism is not as popular in the West as you believe it deserves to be. In fact, the "intimidating, and unnecessarily abstract elements" may actually attract many people to Buddhism who would otherwise be uninterested.

And what about places in the world that have fully embraced Buddhism? Cambodia, for example, is 95% Buddhist. Is there a significant difference in the degree of suffering between Cambodia and a country like the U.S.?

I am sure there are many reasons, but let’s take them one at a time! And I am not saying that all of Buddhism needs to change at all, because it is perfect as it is should you be attracted to it. I’m suggesting a renegade offshoot that is simpler, more accessible and easier to relate to modern living than some of the traditional teachings are. I am suggesting a teaching that is focused primarily on developing compassion and kindness utilising Buddhist / Buddhist-esque practices.

As I said before, I do not believe that 95% of Cambodians are Buddhist. I don’t think that being born into a tradition, having it stamped on your birth certificate, being inducted in various ceremonies, being indoctrinated in their beliefs and thoughts etc. is what makes a Buddhist, Christian, Muslim etc. It has to begin in your own heart. The UK might be X% Christian, but I hardly know anyone who actually practices Christianity, it’s just the national religion, but it doesn’t make you a Christian being born in a Christian country, what makes you a Christian is, from your own heart, following Christ’s teachings.

Here you seem to be defining Buddha nature as kind and caring action. How will this definition of Buddha nature successfully achieve the happiness and wellbeing of all life forms? And are you sure that every human being can appreciate and identify with this definition?

Well, I’d say that Buddha nature is kind and caring, and would therefore result in kind and caring action. And I never said that this definition would achieve that! If only life were so simple! I’ve not yet met one human being who does not value kindness from me, and that’s all I’m interested in promoting.

Getting back to Cambodia where the population is 95% Buddhist. Does happiness prevail over suffering for most Cambodians? If not, have they got it wrong somehow?

Yeah, cos they are not Buddhist!

The Four Nobel Truths could be presented without mentioning the Buddha but, lol, are not these truths in themselves rather intimidating?

I don’t think we need to present the four noble truths to overcome suffering.

It could be called something like, oh, I don't know, how about "The Secret" or "The Power of Now" or "Big Mind"...

Not exactly new territory you're covering, but, there is always room for a new label.

Not really. The Power of Now was very Zen, but it was not about practicing compassion and kindness, but about being fully present in the moment… which would allow the arising of compassion and kindness, but that’s not the sort of practice I have in mind. The Secret was the law of attraction, and presented more as a tool for material gain than anything to do with kindness. I’ve never heard of Big Mind.

I haven’t presented anything but some intentions so far, so I’m not sure how you know what territory I’m covering, because I don’t see any resemblance between what I’ve suggested and the above mentioned books.

We do have the skills but we are using them (tools and skill) very unskillfully? Am I reading that right?

Yes.

Most importantly, as I see it, you're not clear about what the "core teachings" are.

The core teachings are those that enable the arising of compassionate, kindly thoughts and actions. Like I said, you can take away karma teachings and you’ll still have Buddhism, you can take away impermanence teachings and you’ll still have Buddhism, you can take away meditation and you’ll still have Buddhism, but if you remove compassion then you have no Buddhism.
  • ThePensumThePensum Explorer
    @mindatrisk: I don’t think we need to present the four noble truths to overcome suffering.
    Ok I'm a total beginner at meditation, Buddhism. And also forgive me if in previous messages I came across as to forward, or intimidating or lacking compassion and understanding. But from everything I have read, and been taught thus far, has the four noble truths as the very core, the very center of Buddhism. Time and again I read about the four noble truths ... the four noble truths. And I like learning about the four noble truths because I do find them liberating.

And those four noble truths aren't particularly hard to grasp. It's one of the simplest, yet most profound set of statements I've come across. And there's only four of them. Fantastic!

Perhaps I'm missing something very obvious here, but if you say something like this, doesn't it sort of mean you're not a Buddhist?

Now I realize "A buddhist" is just a label, so that may not mean much to you. But you are on newbuddhist.com after all. Ok so it's "new" Buddhist. But if you throw away the four noble truths ... well someone more experienced help me out here, what have you got?

How you can improve upon something that's been around for 2,500 years, and that's pretty concise and simple as is. Moreover, is there a need? You say yes, I say no. That's where we differ I guess.

MK
  • @mindatrisk: I don’t think we need to present the four noble truths to overcome suffering.
    Ok I'm a total beginner at meditation, Buddhism. And also forgive me if in previous messages I came across as to forward, or intimidating or lacking compassion and understanding. But from everything I have read, and been taught thus far, has the four noble truths as the very core, the very center of Buddhism. Time and again I read about the four noble truths ... the four noble truths. And I like learning about the four noble truths because I do find them liberating.

And those four noble truths aren't particularly hard to grasp. It's one of the simplest, yet most profound set of statements I've come across. And there's only four of them. Fantastic!

Perhaps I'm missing something very obvious here, but if you say something like this, doesn't it sort of mean you're not a Buddhist?

Now I realize "A buddhist" is just a label, so that may not mean much to you. But you are on newbuddhist.com after all. Ok so it's "new" Buddhist. But if you throw away the four noble truths ... well someone more experienced help me out here, what have you got?

How you can improve upon something that's been around for 2,500 years, and that's pretty concise and simple as is. Moreover, is there a need? You say yes, I say no. That's where we differ I guess.

MK
    You be exactly as you wish to be! I love straight talking people, and I have no problem with you or anyone. My only problem has been that on occasion in this thread there have been liberties taken with what I have said, which is cool, it is easy to do, but it really drags a discussion having to address things which never needed to arise. I think I’ve been clear enough in what I’ve said, and so I don’t see much need for reading between the lines etc. Anyway, your conduct is your concern alone, as my conduct is mine, so feel free to be exactly as you feel comfortable being.

The four noble truths are wonderful, that is true. All I’m saying is that they are not needed to relieve suffering… just ask a Christian! In my suggested adaptation the four noble truths would be the foundations that inform the teachings, but they probably wouldn’t be promoted, that is all I’m saying… they’d be there in spirit, if not explicitly stated. There is no throwing away of anything! I don’t want to change Buddhism, it is beautiful as it is, I just think an offshoot that is more concise and appealing would be beneficial. Kind of like twenty-twenty cricket next to test cricket… if you follow cricket, that is.
  • ThePensumThePensum Explorer
    Eureka, as we say.

Test cricket is fantastic. 20/20 - not my style.
  • Eureka, as we say.

Test cricket is fantastic. 20/20 - not my style.
    Oh indeed, test cricket IS cricket... but twenty twenty attracts, and i'm sure it does serve as a gateway to the real deal, and that's kinda what i'm thinking could work here too.
    I used to have the attitude that every mind was worth the effort of turning, i.e. prove myself to the doubters, but mannn, that exhausts so much effort! AND, it rarely works. Jesus Christ himself could not change the minds of those who persecuted him, so there is little hope for me making a dent in some peoples perception of me. I think anyone who stands up and does what they can to make a difference and speak truthfully will divide opinion. Thankfully, i'm just a little foot soldier in the greater cause, so I probs won't end up being nailed to a cross. :D
    @Ozen is correct, I never once said or even implied that doing your best to create a better world is unpalatable. So it seems that it's actually you taking liberties with what people have said here :lol:

But trying to create a better world and trying to change the world are actually two very different goals. Saving a kitten - creating a better world. Giving up your seat on the bus - creating a better world. Working hard and honestly - creating a better world. Being truthful - creating a better world. Trying to bring people round to your way of seeing things - trying to change the world.

Creating a better world - acceptance, kindness, humility
    Trying to change the world - control, pride

See the distinction? While the goal of trying to change the world sounds noble, it's actually very naive which isn't a good thing, naive is just a nice way of saying ignorant. You simply can not change the world. You can do your best to make it a better place, but that isn't the same as trying to change it, as outlined above.

Again, I'm not raining on your parade and trying to "drown" you, I'm just telling you as someone who has most certainly been where you are, that this path isn't a wise one.

You said yourself that you've stopped listening to what other people have to say when it doesn't agree with you, so I guess it doesn't really matter, but I promise you I'm just trying to do you a favor. I've never said you shouldn't go ahead, I'm just warning you of the dangers of this particular path as someone who has crossed that terrain already.

• @Ozen is correct, I never once said or even implied that doing your best to create a better world is unpalatable. So it seems that it's actually you taking liberties with what people have said here :lol:

And I never said you did! Read what I wrote!

But trying to create a better world and trying to change the world are actually two very different goals. Saving a kitten - creating a better world. Giving up your seat on the bus - creating a better world. Working hard and honestly - creating a better world. Being truthful - creating a better world. Trying to bring people round to your way of seeing things - trying to change the world.

Creating a better world - acceptance, kindness, humility
    Trying to change the world - control, pride

See the distinction? While the goal of trying to change the world sounds noble, it's actually very naive which isn't a good thing, naive is just a nice way of saying ignorant. You simply can not change the world. You can do your best to make it a better place, but that isn't the same as trying to change it, as outlined above.

This is just semantics. Your very existence in this world changes it in every moment. Saving a kitten - changing the world. Giving up your seat on the bus - changing the world… and so on. You can say ‘creating’ and I can say ‘changing’, and ultimately we are meaning the same thing, because what other action is it that you think I have in mind for changing the world to a better place? When I talk about more love and compassion, what is it you think that that will translate to other than the kind of examples you’ve just outlined? What more can humans do other than change the world moment by moment with such small examples of kindness and compassion? There is no blockbuster act of compassion that I’m aiming for that can transform the world, I am talking about exactly what you have just talked about, but in this discussion I’ve said ‘change’ - although I should think I’ve said ‘create’ too - and you’ve loaded that word to mean something that it just doesn’t. What is it you think I am trying to do in ‘changing the world’?

• RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Haha, no I've been pretty clear about what I think you're trying to do.

You can do as you wish with what I've said, that's none of my concern, and I've gone as far as I feel I ought in this conversation so I'll just leave you with my best wishes. :)
  • Okay, well, thanks for your contributions, you've made me think, you've challenged me, it's been a little bit spicy lol, but to me these are signs of a good discussion... a worthwhile discussion, regardless of our differing views. :)
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Kristen Neff is another person who is trying to adapt Buddhist teachings to help non Buddhists. She wrote a book on self compassion.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    @mindatrisk:

Now you are deciding who is and who is not Buddhist?????
  • SileSile Veteran
    Compassionately addressing the cycle of suffering is certainly inseperable from applied Buddhism; also inseparable is recognizing there is ultimately a way out of the cycle.

We tend to focus on compassion because it is already widely understood and accepted across religions and cultures, but from a Buddhist perspective, that compassion is inseparable from the more mysterious wisdom realizing emptiness.

Compassion progresses through stages--give a guy a sandwich, give a guy a job, give a guy a liberating philosophy, give a guy permanent release from the cycle of suffering. Even though we say "give" we can note that at each stage, the guy becomes more responsible for his part in the process, until the final stage which only he alone can accomplish (recognizing reality and therefore self-liberating).

All religions teach compassion for our fellow man, but from Buddhist perspective compassion does not stop with a better world--it progresses to total liberation for all beings, the complete end of suffering itself. Wisdom, realizing emptiness, is that liberation.

So if we're working on a way to help beings, from a Buddhist perspective, wisdom is inseparable from compassion, unless we want to stop somewhere between the sandwich and the liberating philosophy.

I think the idea, though, of making Buddhist sandwiches more widely available in a generous, non-pushy way is wonderful. It would be vital (if we really want to help people via Buddhist philosophy) not to diss the emptiness and wisdom part. Wisdom realizing emptiness isn't a cold, clinical pursuit for the brainy; wisdom is the very basis and reasoning for teaching compassion, just as compassion is the very basis and reasoning for teaching wisdom.

• @mindatrisk:

Okay, let's make an example...

A serial rapist and murderer says he is a Buddhist... is he a Buddhist?
  • @person I really like what she said about the perfection contract, it's so true! :)
  • Compassionately addressing the cycle of suffering is certainly inseperable from applied Buddhism; also inseparable is recognizing there is ultimately a way out of the cycle.

We tend to focus on compassion because it is already widely understood and accepted across religions and cultures, but from a Buddhist perspective, that compassion is inseparable from the more mysterious wisdom realizing emptiness.

Compassion progresses through stages--give a guy a sandwich, give a guy a job, give a guy a liberating philosophy, give a guy permanent release from the cycle of suffering. Even though we say "give" we can note that at each stage, the guy becomes more responsible for his part in the process, until the final stage which only he alone can accomplish (recognizing reality and therefore self-liberating).

All religions teach compassion for our fellow man, but from Buddhist perspective compassion does not stop with a better world--it progresses to total liberation for all beings, the complete end of suffering itself. Wisdom, realizing emptiness, is that liberation.

So if we're working on a way to help beings, from a Buddhist perspective, wisdom is inseparable from compassion, unless we want to stop somewhere between the sandwich and the liberating philosophy.

I think the idea, though, of making Buddhist sandwiches more widely available in a generous, non-pushy way is wonderful. It would be vital (if we really want to help people via Buddhist philosophy) not to diss the emptiness and wisdom part. Wisdom realizing emptiness isn't a cold, clinical pursuit for the brainy; wisdom is the very basis and reasoning for teaching compassion, just as compassion is the very basis and reasoning for teaching wisdom.

Great points. When talking about compassion I have taken the liberty to presume wisdom with it because compassion doesn't work without it... to me they are siblings. What i'm suggesting is that as a temporary solution to the insanity in this world is that we focus on simply raising the level of compassion and love in the world. If that can be managed then we will have a much better world, and from there i'm sure people will look to higher teachings. I just think we need to focus on raising up from the lowest levels of consciousness, until we at least stop killing each other, y'know?
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @mindatrisk:

That's like saying the Inquisition wasn't Catholic :lol:

• Mindatrisk:
    Well, let’s see what we can do! The Buddha gave his teachings in a very different time and culture, and we have different challenges ahead of us now, none more so than our modern capacity for mass destruction through nuclear, biological and chemical weapons, and the technological and ideological systems that now exist for suppressing mankind and keeping them locked into a materialistic mindset.
    The core of the Buddha's teachings, in whatever zeitgeist you wish to present it and by whatever means, is the same. It shouldn't be changed or reformed. If there is a problem it is with those like Stephen Batchelor who want to do away with the very core of Buddhism and put in it place the teaching of secularism.
  • SileSile Veteran
    Great points. When talking about compassion I have taken the liberty to presume wisdom with it because compassion doesn't work without it... to me they are siblings. What i'm suggesting is that as a temporary solution to the insanity in this world is that we focus on simply raising the level of compassion and love in the world. If that can be managed then we will have a much better world, and from there i'm sure people will look to higher teachings. I just think we need to focus on raising up from the lowest levels of consciousness, until we at least stop killing each other, y'know?
    Definitely agree with spreading compassion; no argument there.

I think the "until we stop killing each other" rests on the wisdom teachings, though. Otherwise we are trying to get people to be compassionate "just 'cuz," instead of "because." What I see as one of the great values of Buddhist thought is finding and establishing the "because," so that our actions are deeply grounded in something that can't be shaken.

I think if we focus only on compassion, we can still be doing something good, definitely--it falls into the category of "try to do good things, but at least don't do bad." The most basic Buddhist instruction. There is definitely nothing wrong with that instinct, or that teaching.

If we're really saying, though, that "something's not working," that it's not as effective so far as we think it should be, I would personally look at shoring up the wisdom side of basic teachings. Find a way to make sure at least basic wisdom points are part of the "free Buddhist sandwich." Even just something as saying that Buddhist theory is grounded in compassion and wisdom, which are seen as inseparable; I'm just saying, maybe we shouldn't leave it out.

I think there's a precedent to this: quite a number of schools are introducing meditation to their students, and they've had to figure out a way to do it secularly. Both the compassion and wisdom qualities of Buddhist reasoning can indeed be taught secularly, I believe. I highly recommend the Dalai Lama's "Ethics for the New Millenium," as well.

Again, this is not some Buddhist sneak attack, but really a way to share what Eastern research--2500 years of trial and error--has developed.
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    I like metaphor when specifics get muddled:

This whole thing is a bit like trying to bang a square peg into a round hole. Sure you could chisel out the space around the round hole so that the square peg fits neatly into the new hole you have created, but this doesnt really "change" the fact that the peg still has abrubt corners and and therfore more prone to fixing itself in position when outside of the hole, much like a house is square and just sits where it is. But if you instead decide to chisel the peg to make it round, it will not only fit well into the round hole, but it can also roll about in movement when it is outside of the hole, in relative freedom like a bicycle. Then the peg can go almost anywhere and do almost anything.

Before insight, you are a square peg. After insight, you can become a round peg. And thats the beauty of the Buddhist teachings: it's you that needs changing, not the hole. Because the hole is everything and everything is always perfect (a circle being the universal symbol of perfection) if only we choose to look at it as such. Any attempts to square the round hole are attempts to ignore what Buddhism is trying to teach you...

it is a personal choice to become what you are, not a mandate or a slick proposition. Nothing to buy, nothing to sell.

This is why I love the story of Siddartha Gautama... he put himself through hell on earth before he accepted compassion and decided it was him that needed changing so he could see the world for what it is. He rounded his edges and found the way to fit into the world, into the round hole. Too much to be gained from that metaphor to abandon it completely... change the name or the approach if you want to, but it really helps me to know that a regular human being was able to come to this understang, as I am just that, too.

• I like metaphor when specifics get muddled:

This whole thing is a bit like trying to bang a square peg into a round hole. Sure you could chisel out the space around the round hole so that the square peg fits neatly into the new hole you have created, but this doesnt really "change" the fact that the peg still has abrubt corners and and therfore more prone to fixing itself in position when outside of the hole, much like a house is square and just sits where it is. But if you instead decide to chisel the peg to make it round, it will not only fit well into the round hole, but it can also roll about in movement when it is outside of the hole, in relative freedom like a bicycle. Then the peg can go almost anywhere and do almost anything.

Before insight, you are a square peg. After insight, you can become a round peg. And thats the beauty of the Buddhist teachings: it's you that needs changing, not the hole. Because the hole is everything and everything is always perfect (a circle being the universal symbol of perfection) if only we choose to look at it as such. Any attempts to square the round hole are attempts to ignore what Buddhism is trying to teach you...

it is a personal choice to become what you are, not a mandate or a slick proposition. Nothing to buy, nothing to sell.

This is why I love the story of Siddartha Gautama... he put himself through hell on earth before he accepted compassion and decided it was him that needed changing so he could see the world for what it is. He rounded his edges and found the way to fit into the world, into the round hole. Too much to be gained from that metaphor to abandon it completely... change the name or the approach if you want to, but it really helps me to know that a regular human being was able to come to this understang, as I am just that, too.

I like your metaphor! I understand what you are saying, but it's really not people like yourselves and others here that an adapted Buddhism would be aimed at. And absolutely, it must be first and foremost ourselves who change and become as compassionate as possible, as this then becomes our best advert for our ideas.
  • Mindatrisk:
    The core of the Buddha's teachings, in whatever zeitgeist you wish to present it and by whatever means, is the same. It shouldn't be changed or reformed. If there is a problem it is with those like Stephen Batchelor who want to do away with the very core of Buddhism and put in it place the teaching of secularism.
    I don't want to do away with the core teachings of Buddha. I want to teach compassion and kindness to the masses utilising Buddhist practices... maybe then this is not adapted Buddhism, but something else that is simply influenced by Buddhism, but whatever it is, if it brings greater compassion to the hearts of human beings then at this stage on planet earth I think that is enough to be working on.
  • @mindatrisk:

That's like saying the Inquisition wasn't Catholic :lol:

It just depends how you want to define the nature of something. If your actions contradict your ideals then i'd say that you are not an adherent of those ideals. If Catholics are supposed to be forgiving and loving but then torture and kill people, then i'd say they are not Catholics, even if they are Pope sanctioned and sitting pretty in their big churches.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @mindatrisk
    The 4 noble truths are the cleanest expression of and actualization of compassion that I've experienced. They are Buddhism.
    Although I'm wary of ism's and their associated identity issues, most of the time, to my ear, you sound like a student of Jesus in Buddhist drag.
    Not to say one is better than the other, just wondering if it explains much of your approach?
  • @mindatrisk
    The 4 noble truths are the cleanest expression of and actualization of compassion that I've experienced. They are Buddhism.
    Although I'm wary of ism's and their associated identity issues, most of the time, to my ear, you sound like a student of Jesus in Buddhist drag.
    Not to say one is better than the other, just wondering if it explains much of your approach?
    I'd say that that is fair. I love the radical approach of Jesus, he was a revolutionary, and he took the 'good fight' to the masses in a very skilful manner out of love for human beings, and I think that is needed nowadays too. I suppose my intent is to marry that approach with the technical approach of Buddhism which I think offers a more lucid and learnable philosophy.
  • This thread is huge and as much as I'd want to, can't really find the time to read it all.

But, I couldn't help but think that this is happening already? There's plenty of "new age" tinted buddhism spirituality books popping up in the west, and have been for quite a while now actually. For example, things such as "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle and "The Secret", and much other books based on similar foundations. Not exactly buddhism, but neither is what you are explaining either...

Those 2 books above actually led me to find buddhism, so I definitely think they have their place. Although, their messages were a little too tinged with new agey-ness for my tastes, which is why I began stripping them down to their basics, and found a very interesting similarity between what both the authors found (the very basics) and buddhism. And here I am :).
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @mindatrisk
    Attributed to HHDL
    in a recent email.
    Maybe this works for you?

'I am increasingly convinced that the time has come to find a way of thinking about spirituality and ethics beyond religion altogether.'

• SileSile Veteran
    I'm going to hazard a guess that at this point, the conversation would benefit from specifics; if I may, OP, what would be a specific example of something you'd do? Pick a population if you will (small town, or youth group, or school, or any test population you like): what would Day 1 look like?
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited July 2012
    I would enter a brief thought that "Expanded Buddhism" would be a theoretical working title I'd be comfortable with; "Adapted Buddhism" makes me think of reducing Buddhism. I realize adaptation doesn't necessarily mean reducing, but that's just the first feeling that came to my head seeing the word "adapted." In fact, the whole concept of "get back to basics," or "reduce it to core teachings" (not saying you've used those terms, but some do) carries a feeling of reduction, whereas I think it's even more exciting and probably healthier to think of expanding rather than contracting.

Small example - I've often thought it would be fun to do an album where each song carried a core Buddhist message - not in your face, so subtle in fact that maybe many wouldn't get it. The idea isn't to convert, but to communicate, be part of the resonation of worthy thoughts, making those thoughts reverberate more throughout the universe. Maybe this is too lazy - on the other hand, I'm often extremely effected by what I hear in others' songs. Ani Choying Drolma made a great album with my hometown guy Steve Tibbets--wonderful, spiritual music set to spooky guitar. Somehow not as "new agey" as other projects I've heard, I think because the core song always leads the track; the guitar adorns the traditional spiritual song, not the other way around.

So, expanding Buddhism in new ways, sharing it in new ways, is something I definitely see as positive--art, music, dance even (now there's a challenge). Anything, really, that communicates--which is most things.

Guess that wasn't so brief...sorry!

P.S. Is this all leading to rock bands in temples, lol? Oy ;)
    @mindatrisk:

That's not for you to decide or for me to decide. Who made us judges?

• @mindatrisk
    Attributed to HHDL
    in a recent email.

'I am increasingly convinced that the time has come to find a way of thinking about spirituality and ethics beyond religion altogether.'

:) Yep! And it's not because there is anything wrong with any religion, and certainly not Buddhism, but there is a problem with how religions are perceived, including Buddhism, which creates a barrier between them and many, many people. Those barriers are way too complex to understand fully, but that they exist is undeniable, even just in my own life seeing how others - especially Christians - respond to my interest in Buddhism makes it abundantly clear that obstacles are present, and so present, in fact, that some people are rejecting Buddhism without even having the slightest understanding of what it is about and without having any wish to even investigate it to understand it to then reject it. For some people I know, their rejection is based simply upon the fact that Buddhism is a different religion to their own, and because Jesus said that he was the way, they believe, therefore, that every other path must then be false.

So yeah, enlightenment would be wonderful, but the reality seems to be that for most human beings on this planet now that that is not going to happen in their current lifetimes... but can an increase in compassion occur in their lifetime? Yeah! Will this help to create a better world? Yeah! Would I rather have a peaceful world with no Buddhism than a hostile world with Buddhism? Well, yeah. I don't care about religions or spiritual philosophies, I care about people being happy and treating each other with respect, and if the time has come where religions no longer faciliate that effectively then let's forget religions. If more people will practice and implement compassion in their lives through alternate means to religion then great, so be it. I just can't get beyond the fact that even after a few thousand years of Buddhism and Christianity that more people are killed in war, and we are more capable of killing more in war, than ever before. I know things are changing and improving in many ways, but it won't happen by itself, it's for us to facilitate that change, not sit back and think it's going to take care of itself. Whilst I am here I just want to do what I can to help facilitate that change, and nothing is more sacred than love, and if slicing up Buddhism helps get more people living with love then I don't think we should hesitate for a second, and I think the Buddha would agree, for it was he who made it clear to take what works and leave what doesn't, and it was he who instructed his followers to believe by reason, not by faith in him.

• I'm going to hazard a guess that at this point, the conversation would benefit from specifics; if I may, OP, what would be a specific example of something you'd do? Pick a population if you will (small town, or youth group, or school, or any test population you like): what would Day 1 look like?
    I'm putting together a few starting points, when i'm happy with them then i'll post them in a new thread for them to be added to, challenged, dissected etc. :)
  • robotrobot Veteran
    Buddhism is the real thing. It probably should not be sold as anything else.
    Several thousand years of great minds studying and commenting on the teachings, and now more and more excellent translations of that material, as well as the work of modern western Buddhist masters to make it more accessible.
    Any attempt to water it down would detract from the most important aspect of it. Which is that one can start at the most basic level and benefit from it in ways that are noticeable immediately.
    And one can go as deep as they want to. Go on to study very challenging material. All the way to awakening.
    There is no end to new age or self help material out there that is designed to be easy to absorb. Anyone with a spiritual bent will find what they need. I have read a good deal of it over the years. It is never the complete package the way Buddhism is.
    Truthfully, most Buddhists will probably frown upon what you are considering and might even see it as more evidence of the impending "Dhamma ending age".
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited July 2012
    And it's not because there is anything wrong with any religion, and certainly not Buddhism, but there is a problem with how religions are perceived, including Buddhism, which creates a barrier between them and many, many people.
    Very much agree - I think of this every time I stumble across another pocket of overt, anti-Buddhism activity; those doing it are very aware of the misconceptions about Buddhism, and use it to poison people's minds before they even have a chance to encounter Buddhism. People don't have to be Buddhist of course, but it's sad and unnecessary for them to fear Buddhism (and Buddhists).
    Whilst I am here I just want to do what I can to help facilitate that change, and nothing is more sacred than love, and if slicing up Buddhism helps get more people living with love then I don't think we should hesitate for a second, and I think the Buddha would agree, for it was he who made it clear to take what works and leave what doesn't, and it was he who instructed his followers to believe by reason, not by faith in him.
    Not sure what you mean by slicing up - but that's where I expect some examples will help. I think most of the uncertainty in this thread can be chalked up to terminology issues. Someone might consider bringing secular meditation to schools to be "slicing up Buddhism," I suppose, but I wouldn't see it that way (and would still think of it as Expanded Buddhism).

• I would enter a brief thought that "Expanded Buddhism" would be a theoretical working title I'd be comfortable with; "Adapted Buddhism" makes me think of reducing Buddhism. I realize adaptation doesn't necessarily mean reducing, but that's just the first feeling that came to my head seeing the word "adapted." In fact, the whole concept of "get back to basics," or "reduce it to core teachings" (not saying you've used those terms, but some do) carries a feeling of reduction, whereas I think it's even more exciting and probably healthier to think of expanding rather than contracting.

Small example - I've often thought it would be fun to do an album where each song carried a core Buddhist message - not in your face, so subtle in fact that maybe many wouldn't get it. The idea isn't to convert, but to communicate, be part of the resonation of worthy thoughts, making those thoughts reverberate more throughout the universe. Maybe this is too lazy - on the other hand, I'm often extremely effected by what I hear in others' songs. Ani Choying Drolma made a great album with my hometown guy Steve Tibbets--wonderful, spiritual music set to spooky guitar. Somehow not as "new agey" as other projects I've heard, I think because the core song always leads the track; the guitar adorns the traditional spiritual song, not the other way around.

So, expanding Buddhism in new ways, sharing it in new ways, is something I definitely see as positive--art, music, dance even (now there's a challenge). Anything, really, that communicates--which is most things.

Guess that wasn't so brief...sorry!

P.S. Is this all leading to rock bands in temples, lol? Oy ;)
    I love this idea! Whatever works. But I am reducing Buddhism, in the sense that i'm considering a few core elements that can be practiced and understood and related to by the general population. That means cutting out some of the more advanced teachings that probably aren't relevant or appropriate to most people at this time.
  • @mindatrisk:

That's not for you to decide or for me to decide. Who made us judges?

To me it isn't a matter of judgement but of logic. Let's flip it around... If I go around saying that I am a serial killer but i've never killed anyone, am I a serial killer?
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited July 2012
    I love this idea! Whatever works. But I am reducing Buddhism, in the sense that i'm considering a few core elements that can be practiced and understood and related to by the general population. That means cutting out some of the more advanced teachings that probably aren't relevant or appropriate to most people at this time.
    If you say "cutting," what are you cutting, and from whose experience? There's no need to hide anything that currently exists, but rather to bring core ideas to a new audience, correct?

I mean, when I first walked into a temple, I wasn't sat down and given an initiation; the brilliance of great teachings is that they carry beginner messages for beginners AND advanced messages for older students, all in one teaching.
    @mindatrisk, of course you should do what you feel is right. But just for a minute, step back and look at the reaction you are getting from a Buddhist website.
  • Buddhism is the real thing. It probably should not be sold as anything else.
    Several thousand years of great minds studying and commenting on the teachings, and now more and more excellent translations of that material, as well as the work of modern western Buddhist masters to make it more accessible.
    Any attempt to water it down would detract from the most important aspect of it. Which is that one can start at the most basic level and benefit from it in ways that are noticeable immediately.
    And one can go as deep as they want to. Go on to study very challenging material. All the way to awakening.
    There is no end to new age or self help material out there that is designed to be easy to absorb. Anyone with a spiritual bent will find what they need. I have read a good deal of it over the years. It is never the complete package the way Buddhism is.
    Truthfully, most Buddhists will probably frown upon what you are considering and might even see it as more evidence of the impending "Dhamma ending age".
    There is no set Buddhism, though. Buddhism already is sold in many different guises, because it has been interpreted in so many different ways, and utilised in so many different ways to enable various intentions and priorities. Buddhism is wonderful, i'm not knocking it, i'm just looking for a way to take the ideas to a larger audience to effect mass change on this planet. Buddhism is a very 'come to' religion, next to Christianity which is a very 'go to' religion. I suppose i'd like to combine the 'go to' attitude with the Buddhist techniques. Except our 'go to' would not involve preaching, but simply setting a noticable example.
  • SileSile Veteran
    I think the only bit of discomfort I have left with all this is the thought that you feel something that's already out there, available to those who want it and are using it, should be hidden; isn't this instead an issue of establishing new programmes, not hiding or obscuring existing ones?
  • @mindatrisk, of course you should do what you feel is right. But just for a minute, step back and look at the reaction you are getting from a Buddhist website.
    If anything i'd say the reactions against validate my views... think of Jesus and the Jews. Opposition - even from your peers - is no reason to believe you are wrong... reasoned argument, however, is. But so far no-one has convinced me of why it is that I am taking the wrong approach. In fact, the strongest critics here simply made up what i'd said and then argued against their own concoctions! So no, the truth in a minority of one is still the truth... I just need to discover for myself if there is truth in my assertions.
This discussion has been closed.