Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Modern interpretations of Buddha-Nature

edited August 2012 in Philosophy
There are three modern interpretations of Buddha-Nature as either:

1) An essential self.
2) Sunyata (emptiness).
3) An inherent possibility of awakening.

Which do you think is true and why? Of course some may believe that they are all equally true and if that's the case then please provide the reasoning, doctrine or whatever that supports this view.

Thanks in advance for your participation.

Comments

• Rujin: It is evident from the canon that Buddha-nature is the atman (a Buddhist) atman.
    All beings possess a Buddha Nature: this is what the atman is. This atman, from the start, is always covered by innumerable passions (klesha): this is why beings are unable to see it. — Mahaparinirvana-sutra (Etienne Lamotte, The Teaching of Vimalakirti, Eng. trans. by Sara Boin, London: The Pali Text Society, 1976, Introduction, p. lxxvii.)
    Buddha-nature is actual, not potential. Although sentient beings have Buddha-nature (potentially) they have not actualized it—so they don't really have it.
    "Suppose some declares that he has already attained the most perfect enlightenment. When asked for the reason, [he replies] “It is because [the tathâgata teaches that all sentient beings] have Buddha-nature. Since whoever is in possession of the Buddha-nature should have already attained the most perfect enlightenment, [I declare] that I have attained enlightenment now.” It should be understood that such a person is guilty of the pârâjikas [grave offense like murder]. Why? It is because even though [the Buddha teaches that all sentient being] have the Buddha-nature, they have not yet cultivated various beneficial means, and so still have no vision of [the Buddha-nature which they are going to have]. Since they still have no vision [of the Buddha-nature], they have not attained the most perfect enlightenment” (Mahaparinirvana Sutra).
    As for emptiness Master Chih-i said Buddha-nature is ashunya. (By the way there are a number of definitions of shunyata. If someone asserts that Buddha-nature is shunyata they need to provide a citation which unambiguously says so).
    "The Buddha-nature is not empty" (Mahaparinirvana Sutra).
  • @Songhill

It seem that anatman is core to Buddhism...
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    You are missing at least one:

4) Was not taught by the Buddha, but a later addition.

Which happens to be my opinion. Why? If Buddha nature was so essential, the Buddha would have taught it in the earliest teachings (pali canon). But as far as I know, we can't find it there and I have read a lot of suttas.
  • @Sabre

Saying that there's no such thing as Buddha-Nature? Perhaps it is simply another was to refer to emptiness, in that case.
  • The Jewel Ornament of Liberation says that Buddha Nature is emptines, radiates to all beings respecting neither high nor low, and that all beings have a relation to Buddha: incorrigible, hinayana, mayana, pretayaka, and mutible(?).

The Buddha nature teaching helps:

Confidence that enlightnement is possible
    Overconfidence and looking down to others less informed or wise
    Promotes good treatment of others because they are of the highest nature
    Promotes forgiveness of our enemies because we know they have Buddha Nature

Whether it is an Atman is dependent on what you mean by Atman.
    person
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2012
    From Buddhism Connect which is a free sorta biweekly student-teacher experts which you may receive by signing up for the e-mailings.

A student asks:

I know you are very busy, but I was very puzzled about no-self as discussed in book 3 of the Discovering the Heart of Buddhism course. What I cannot understand is that if the self is non-existent, what motivates people to do things, such as this course?

Lama Shenpen responds:

Do I actually say that the self is non-existent? I didn’t mean to. What the Buddha always taught was that what was impermanent, unsatisfactory and not as we wanted it could not be the self. The self, in this context, is the one who wants happiness. None of the things we grasp at as self provide that happiness so our whole idea of our self causes us suffering.

Who is the us that discovers that? It is the the ungrasped self, the true self, the self that is not impermanent, not suffering, that is as we want it to be. It is the Buddha Nature. When we discover that we realise that this is what we always wanted but we sought for it in the wrong place and in the wrong way. We found aspects of it that we tried to grasp at and own but they just became unsatisfactory as soon as we grasped them. In fact we tried to grasp them only to find we had grasped at thin air, but instead of just ceasing to grasp we got terrified and grasped more and more. Then we became more and more confused and still were left with just thin air. It is only when the fundamental awareness of our being turns towards that thin air and recognises its experience of itself for what it is that it can relax the grasping reaction and let that truth be.

You could call that the end of ego grasping and the life of the true self - or true nature - the ultimate reality of what we are. It is not something we can know by the grasping mind. It is not something to believe in as a concept. It is reality that discovers itself!

So it itself is motivated to discover itself and do this course!

The student continues:

Christians put a lot of faith in the soul, which they believe is a separate unchanging entity. Surely, if there was nothing there, one of them would have noticed by now.

Lama Shenpen responds:

You get all kinds of Christians like you get all kinds of Buddhist. Some have strong conceptual beliefs that they just trot out and say they believe in - they dont want to think too much about whether their beliefs are true or not. They just want something to cling on to that confirms them in their idea of themselves.

Some Buddhists are like that too.

Other Christians are connecting deeply to their hearts and discovering what is genuine and true in their experience - and they find what anyone finds who does that. So they talk about their experience in much the same terms as we would.

As for soul - well it just depends what one means by it doesnt it?
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    @Rujin

"Saying that there's no such thing as Buddha-Nature? "

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Because I've seen the term Buddha-nature generally causes more confusion than understanding, I tend not to use it. And my personal belief is the Buddha didn't do either. I'm certainly not the only one with this opinion, so I taught it was worth adding it to the list. :)
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Who else thinks that a less than perfect definition of Buddha nature causes little effect on our day to day practise unless that practise is mental mastication.
    Anybody think that when we are at a point where it might matter, that point will lol.
    OK.. maybe this is a just Buddhist version of Sudoku or a parade that doesn't need my rain cloud.

Is Buddha Nature ..

1) An essential self....... with unlimited perspective what is essential or self?

2) Sunyata (emptiness). Such a polarity has the subtle scent of ego.

3) An inherent possibility of awakening..Interesting! Does that make the 5th law of the universe a part or the whole of Buddha Nature?

So that's foul, a strike and a possible bunt. I'm pretty sure the Buddha would just say that if a perfect description of Buddha Nature would aid in the path to sufferings cessation, he would have given it already.

I'm also not sure we have a language that could corral the Buddha Nature.
    person
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    If we could find a satisfactory way to define "Buddha Nature," is it conceivable that that definition would be equal to Buddha Nature? Is Sally any more or less a dog because I say, "Sally is a dog?"

Words don't help much, but practice can help a little. When Rinzai said, "Grasp and use, but never name," he wasn't encouraging people to walk around like sanctified zombies, all silent and serene (and full of shit). He was suggesting we pay attention to those things we rely on most and find out precisely how reliable they are.

Is "Buddha Nature" or "satori" or "sunyata" or "inherent potential" or "self" or "no self" reliable stuff on which to rely? Maybe so, but I can't imagine their being much more reliable than a chocolate bar. Yummy? Sure. Reliable? Your call.
    Vastmind
  • @Rujin

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Because I've seen the term Buddha-nature generally causes more confusion than understanding, I tend not to use it. And my personal belief is the Buddha didn't do either. I'm certainly not the only one with this opinion, so I taught it was worth adding it to the list. :)
    Speaking of causing more confusion than understanding, is the ālayavijñāna or postmortem rebirth also on the list? These relate to the issue.
  • Reliable?
    No indeed.
  • OK.. maybe this is a just Buddhist version of Sudoku or a parade that doesn't need my rain cloud.
    Yes, please no more rain clouds. Still wet from last night.
    Is Buddha Nature ..

1) An essential self....... with unlimited perspective what is essential or self?
    What does the unlimited perspective show?
    2) Sunyata (emptiness). Such a polarity has the subtle scent of ego.
    Buddha-Nature = emptiness is not a polarity.
    3) An inherent possibility of awakening..Interesting! Does that make the 5th law of the universe a part or the whole of Buddha Nature?
    Dark energy is part of the universe, not the whole of it.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Rujin said:

@Rujin

Speaking of causing more confusion than understanding, is the ālayavijñāna or postmortem rebirth also on the list? These relate to the issue.
    On what list?

• Jeffrey:
    The Jewel Ornament of Liberation says that Buddha Nature is emptines, radiates to all beings respecting neither high nor low, and that all beings have a relation to Buddha: incorrigible, hinayana, mayana, pretayaka, and mutible(?).
    No it doesn't. Besides that, The Jewel Ornament of Liberation is not a Sutra.
  • Rujin said:

@Rujin

On what list?

Sorry, confused with someone else.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2012
    My copy of the Jewel Ornament of Liberation does say that. This is based on a course I took with my sangha. It was not directly with the Lama, but senior students were leaders. And it was not a teaching course, rather we read from the text and had a personal submission post to discuss (on the internet). There was also a place where we discussed. I am 95% sure that it does say what I said. One of the leaders said that saying the dharmakaya is emptiness was a concession to make the text available to rangtongpas.

My text was translated by Khenpo (scholar) Konchog Gyaltsen Rinpoche
  • This writing you see is buddha nature.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited August 2012
    I plead guilty to using this term AND Im Modern dammit!
    ........Here goes my 2 bucks...

@Sabre...alot of people here and there believe in the added later stuff.
    Just a fact. Not saying you agree, But I or the whole community/ people
    did'nt make it up, so how about just researching how
    many people use this teaching tool and how/why/what...or not.
    I agree that it causes confusion, but only if you dont have a
    'general' idea of the term.

@how makes the humorous point that sometimes its just
    not that serious, as far as terminology.
    A possible bunt ?? I'll deal with you later. ;)

@taiyaki....yes, Buddha Nature is writing! Man, I'm loving
    you more everyday.

taiyaki
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @Vastminds

It doesn't create confusion in me personally because, after having researched it already, I just see it as a term that isn't an essential part of the Buddha's teachings. Not to offend anybody who cincerely beliefs in it. I know a lot of people think it is a part of the teachings and not a later addition. But because this point of view is shared by many, I felt it needed to be included in the list of options, just so everybody can be represented.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with new terms per se. Some new terms come up from time to time, that's natural. If these are quite clear, don't create confusion amongst people, I may also use them. But the problem with Buddha nature is that its not a clear term, as is also pointed out by this topic. People all have their own interpretation, so while I can relate to a certain interpretation of it, as a teaching tool I think it's not really effective. So that's also why I tend not to use it. Of course, with the exception of topics such as this one ;)

Metta!
    Vastmindtaiyaki
  • People all have their own interpretation, so while I can relate to a certain interpretation of it, as a teaching tool I think it's not really effective. So that's also why I tend not to use it. Of course, with the exception of topics such as this one ;)
    Sorry if missed but which interpretation can relate to?

And if acceptable to inquire, does the teaching of ālayavijñāna and postmortem rebirth create more confusion than clarity?
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Hi @Rujin and others,

I can relate to the possibility of awakening. Not to say everybody will be awakened one day, but at least there is the opportunity for people. But again, I wouldn't call it Buddha nature. I'd call it no-self as the Buddha did (in another language).

I think at least the terms ālayavijñāna (although I had to google it) and rebirth are generally clearer than Buddha nature. That doesn't say anything about whether I agree or disagree with them of course. If I'd base my view upon how much things confuse people or not, that'd be foolish. I only agree with things that I can validate for myself.

So in short: I use terms I think the Buddha used and that I see as truth and helpful. I may use new terms if I think they are useful, but I don't use new terms if they generally seem to create more confusion. So usually you won't see me making posts or speaking with terms such as 'Buddha nature', 'Great mind', 'Suchness' and things like that.

That's just to clarify why I personally don't use them. I want this to be clear because I don't want to offend anybody, but just show where I and a lot of people are coming from. Also I think the Buddha was very direct and as much as I can, I want to be direct too.

With metta,
    Reflection
  • My own interpretation of Buddha-nature is "enlightened qualities". Not everyone may have "enlightened qualities", but these qualities may still be deeply hidden within our own true nature.
  • Doesn't Buddha Nature just state the obvious.

That the ability to be free of clinging/aversion and all self delusion is as "easy" :) as waking up to the way things really are. Right View.

Ok, maybe easy is not a good word for something that appears to be so challenging. But then again all one ever needs to awaken to is this present moment.

Because it is our very nature, means we don't have to acquire anything else. It is a realization of that which is. To see impermanence and emptiness (empty of separate self existence) in every manifestation of form. The awareness and letting go of the concepts (beliefs, ideas, judgements, thoughts) that blind us and keep us locked in cycles of suffering. Ego and attachment are on the surface, perpetuated by self delusion. Below is the selflessness, wisdom and compassion of Buddha Nature.

Best Wishes

• andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Yes, I think it is simple to understand ( the basic and important truths and the steps that need to be employed on path, that is ) - yet at the same time it is difficult to adhere to these and thus to achieve the potential which we all have, due to our conditioned patterns of thinking and behaviour .... not impossible, though.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2012
    There are three modern interpretations of Buddha-Nature as either:

1) An essential self.
    2) Sunyata (emptiness).
    I'm not sure what you mean by "modern" here. Personally I find it's difficult to discuss "Buddha-Nature" because it seems to mean different things to different people.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Within the Soka Gakkai (Nichiren) tradition, I was taught it was #3. The analogy of the lotus flower, blossoming pristine from the mud where the seed dwelled, was sometimes mentioned.

But since I am no longer aligned with them, I don't really know what I think about it anymore, lol. Perhaps I don't feel it is so important?
  • Here is Dr. Tony Page on the Buddha-nature

• SabreSabre Veteran
    If Buddha nature "is always there", "a reality that is blissful and pure within us", where is it when you are unconscious?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Sabre said:

You are missing at least one:

4) Was not taught by the Buddha, but a later addition.

Which happens to be my opinion. Why? If Buddha nature was so essential, the Buddha would have taught it in the earliest teachings (pali canon). But as far as I know, we can't find it there and I have read a lot of suttas.

Exactly this question came up in my studies recently. Buddha-nature, along with the True Self, was introduced in some very late sutras. Some say this is later Hindu influence seeping in, so it's not authentic. But the Nirvana Sutra itself says that this is the last teaching of the Buddha, that is to supercede earlier teachings. Once you've realized non-self, the abandonment of clinging to ego (as taught in the earlier sutras), only then can you realize True Self. So as to whether the teachings on Buddha-nature and True Self are authentic, I don't know, but I think they're interesting teachings.

One "modern" take on Buddha-nature is presented by Stephen Batchelor. He says the correct translation is "Buddha-womb" or "Buddha-seed". So we all have this evolutionary seed within us, that is about growth and change and moving toward Enlightenment.

Jeffrey
  • There are three modern interpretations of Buddha-Nature as either:

1) An essential self.
    2) Sunyata (emptiness).
    I'm not sure what you mean by "modern" here. Personally I find it's difficult to discuss "Buddha-Nature" because it seems to mean different things to different people.
    Maybe think of it as 'newer'.
  • Hi @Rujin and others,

I can relate to the possibility of awakening. Not to say everybody will be awakened one day, but at least there is the opportunity for people. But again, I wouldn't call it Buddha nature. I'd call it no-self as the Buddha did (in another language).
    So a possibility but not an inherent possibility?
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Exactly. There is a possibility of awakening, but it is not a given that every being will realise this. So you can hardly call that a Buddha-nature or something. So I don't.
  • Sabre said:

Exactly. There is a possibility of awakening, but it is not a given that every being will realise this. So you can hardly call that a Buddha-nature or something. So I don't.

Right. "Buddha-nature", scholars say, is a later gloss. The original term was Buddha-seed, or Buddha-embryo or womb. A seed needs to be watered in order to grow. The embryo needs to be nurtured. So the idea is that it is there, but whether or not it flowers depends on what one does with it. Does one choose to create the conditions for its growth and thriving? If the fortuitous conditions for its growth aren't there, the seed/embryo will remain as an unrealized potential.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    My take is kind of to all 3.

1. Kind of because of the three seals, no-self, impermanence and dukkha a true self seems to contradict these core Buddhist teachings. On the other hand the idea of there being nothing after enlightenment feels strange to me, that the goal is to dissapear entirely.

2. If there is a Buddha nature I believe the only way to realize it is through a direct internalization of emptiness. A belief in a true self, however subtle, won't help achieve it and would actually be counterproductive.

3. I feel that this is fully true, that every being has the ability to achieve enlightenment. I give it a kind of rating because it may not be the full picture.

Bottom line who knows and practically understanding emptiness and perfecting the virtues is the path to Buddhahood not a belief or rejection of a truly existing self.
    taiyakiVastmind
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2012
    If Buddha nature "is always there", "a reality that is blissful and pure within us", where is it when you are unconscious?
    That's an interesting question. I think there has to be an experience. If there is no experience then it is not what I mean by 'something'. So if there is no 'something' then the question of where is Buddha Nature does not apply. It would be like worrying whether Dragons have bad breath. There are no dragons and thus there is no question of their breath. When there is no consciousness there is no question of a Buddha Nature. But I am from shentong tradition in which reality is not a stream of moments of conditioned consciousness as the rangtongpas such as his Holiness Dalai Lama. From my lamas perspective we cannot find even one moment of consciousness. But nonetheless we have love for other beings despite not being able to find where anything comes from.
  • My take is kind of to all 3.

1. Kind of because of the three seals, no-self, impermanence and dukkha a true self seems to contradict these core Buddhist teachings. On the other hand the idea of there being nothing after enlightenment feels strange to me, that the goal is to dissapear entirely.

2. If there is a Buddha nature I believe the only way to realize it is through a direct internalization of emptiness. A belief in a true self, however subtle, won't help achieve it and would actually be counterproductive.

3. I feel that this is fully true, that every being has the ability to achieve enlightenment. I give it a kind of rating because it may not be the full picture.

Bottom line who knows and practically understanding emptiness and perfecting the virtues is the path to Buddhahood not a belief or rejection of a truly existing self.
    1, in my teachers view is that the three marks only apply to conditioned phenomena. Buddha nature is unconditioned otherwise there is the third seal of suffering for a Buddha. If a Buddha is suffering then that tears down the whole structure of the Dharma. A Buddha is not suffering and time is deconstructed so there is no reference point to have permanence or non-permanence. A Buddha is ungraspable or measurable thus non-self also does not apply.
    person
  • I'll add that if Buddha Nature is unconditional then there is no nature which can fix our daily dramas. In our meditation we just let go of the distress. But there is no fixing samsara. The Buddha Nature won't prevent: old age, birth, sickness, and death. It also does not fix loss (gain), pain (joy), infamy (prestige), or blame (praise).
    andyrobyn
  • The Buddha-nature of sentient beings (non-aryans) is hidden by innate unenlightenment (avidya) and further concealed by the outward arising of appearances. This falls within the sphere of conditioned reality otherwise known as samsara. Until sentient beings behold Buddha-nature there is no emancipation from the conditioned.