Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The closing of threads?

howhow Veteran Veteran
edited August 2012 in NewBuddhist.com
I have often been surprised by the closing of some threads. Often I have been poking for a while with two stubby fingers only to find my post to be is now homeless.. It would be great if there was a warning window (30 min.?) when a particular thread was going to be shut down.

I was also mentioning this to see what constituted the need to shut down a thread.
Could the reason for the shut down be posted at the same time. A more transparent disclosure of this might educate posters what is allowable and what is not. I would also submit that an official 1st warning from a moderator on a thread may allow correcting behaviour so that the shut down of the thread becomes un neccesary.

Some other Buddhist sites have a public section that needs to be read to allow membership admission. This is where the rules and guidelines are posted to keep everyone in the loop.

Wondering if others care about this and what is possible and what is not?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Agreed.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2012
    how said:

I have often been surprised by the closing of some threads. Often I have been poking for a while with two stubby fingers only to find my post to be is now homeless.. It would be great if there was a warning window (30 min.?) when a particular thread was going to be shut down.

Well, you know what they say, "Whatever is subject to origination is all subject to cessation." :D
    how said:

I was also mentioning this to see what constituted the need to shut down a thread.
    Could the reason for the shut down be posted at the same time. A more transparent disclosure of this might educate posters what is allowable and what is not. I would also submit that an official 1st warning from a moderator on a thread may allow correcting behaviour so that the shut down of the thread becomes un neccesary.

Some other Buddhist sites have a public section that needs to be read to allow membership admission. This is where the rules and guidelines are posted to keep everyone in the loop.

We don't have any set rules. The basic rule, though, is don't be a jerk. Pretty simple, really.

As far as moderation goes, threads get closed at moderators/administrators discretion for a variety of reasons. Sometimes threads get closed because people are being jerks. Sometimes it's because things are getting too heated or antagonistic. Sometimes it's because the threads are nonsense. Etc. Appeals can be made to have them reopened, bans removed, etc.; but that's generally up to the administrators.
  • I have often been surprised by the closing of some threads. Often I have been poking for a while with two stubby fingers only to find my post to be is now homeless.. It would be great if there was a warning window (30 min.?) when a particular thread was going to be shut down.

If you've put some effort into a post, How, and the intended home for it has been block (for "whatever" reason) would suggest simply starting a new topic.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited August 2012
    The basic rule, though, is don't be a jerk. Pretty simple, really.
    Based on participation on a variety of Buddhist bulletin boards in the past, I think @Jason's words sum things up nicely. Taste is taste. It's nice to get some forewarning of the parameters of jerk-dom, but it's never perfect and someone has to draw the lines or perhaps feels that s/he has to draw the lines.

Did it ever strike anyone else as funny that ad hominem statements on Buddhist bulletin boards that praise someone ("Buddha was enlightened," "the Dalai Lama is so kind" etc.) are acceptable whereas ad hominem statements of blame ("what a flaming nitwit!") are not ... and both positions are rooted in a framework that includes "right speech," an admonition that takes a dim view of both praise and blame?

Well, no one ever said we wouldn't be jerks in our attempts to clarify jerk-dom. :)
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Not sure how the whole 'structure' idea is going to go over with the guy
    upstairs, we shall see.

BTW, @Jason is doing a good job of keeping us unruly beasts in line
    over in the Abortion thread. :) Im sure i've passed a jerk-dom line, but if I
    go out, Im going out in a blaze of glory !!!!!!! lolololololol
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Not sure how the whole 'structure' idea is going to go over with the guy
    upstairs, we shall see.
    @Vastminds -- Do you have an unruly tenant living in the apartment above you? :)
  • Just one question if permissible. Is moderation team immune to Jerkism?
  • Rujin said:

Just one question if permissible. Is moderation team immune to Jerkism?

It's a human trait

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Sometimes you wish they would abor... I mean close a thread ;)
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Closing a thread is one thing. Censoring is a whole other animal. As long as nothing gets censored, close any thread you darn well please as far as I'm concerned. Heck, close the windows, the front door, the back door, and your close your mind for all I care, just please don't delete a post or pretend like something didn't happen. Because we ALL can learn from whats posted on a thread, even it just teaches you what not to do or say.

I've only been on this site for a few weeks and I've been kind of a jerk at least once. This forum is a great reminder that none of our shit is stink-free. ;)
    MaryAnneNirvana
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Rujin said:

Just one question if permissible. Is moderation team immune to Jerkism?

No. Sometimes our things are closed or disappear too. :)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Where did my post go....? :p;)

i also have a tendency to close threads that have been re-opened after a prolonged period of time, that someone (usually a noob, looking for something to comment on) has re-activated... because more often than not, the other participating members have long since disappeared.... including to thread's OP....

I closed a thread yesterday because it was causing much confusion, adding nothing to the discussion, and was generally finally unhelpful.
    Curious that most members here seemed to be having much difficulty discerning exactly what the OP was trying to establish..... It just wasn't working....

On another board, this same member was receiving deep, empathetic and convoluted responses which seemed to construct and support his own experiences... well would you credit it....?

I took from this that either members of that forum are far more learned, erudite and privileged than we are - or that they take things far too seriously and are a bit 'up themselves'. All I know is that By Brian's definition, we are a light hearted, jovial friendly voluble bunch with a huge amount of accumulated experience, in many many fields of life, and I value every single person's presence and contribution.

Just don't be a jerk.
    Jerkdom is the best and quickest way to get a thread closed, and earn a week's break. ;)
  • A jerk is essentially someone who is found to be unpleasant. People are found to be unpleasant for all sorts of reasons, just to be clear.
  • Lotus21Lotus21 Indiana Explorer
    I am going off tangent here a little bit.
    Can you cite a couple of sites similar to this one?

Thanks,
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    There are none. AFAIK, this one's in a class of its own.....:)
    Nirvana
  • No others are as pleasent because pleasantness is not as highly valued elsewhere as it is here.