Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Precepts / The Buddhist Path

MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
edited August 2012 in Arts & Writings
Recent discussions regarding the Precepts and how people view and understand them, I remembered I had this written account of a meditation (of mine) tucked away in a file somewhere. I found it this morning.

I can not guarantee it is wholly original, because over many many years I have read so much about Buddhism, that I may have picked up this visual description from somewhere along the road. Then again, maybe it is original. :: shrugs::

During a meditation, long ago, a whole 'picture' of The Buddhist Path seemed to be projected into my mind;
It appeared as a very long, very narrow path; no more than several inches wide.
It was just the same width as one of my feet. Not both, just one.

On either side of this long, very narrow line of cleared, flat, solid earth there was a somewhat wider area - 2 or 3 feet on each side -consisting of many different surfaces and some obstacles. Some areas were soft sand, some areas were muddy, some slick and grassy, some rocky. Sometimes there would be areas of thistle or sharp stones. But on that very narrow path of several inches, the surface was smooth, solid, and level.

Further out on either side of the very narrow path and its surrounding areas, was a dense forest of bushes, trees, ferns and vines of all sorts. One could only see a little way into the forest, because it was so thick and overgrown.

Ah! So here we have The Buddhist Path, I thought to myself. The narrowest, center path is made up of the Precepts, the 4 Noble Truths, and all the other lessons and guidelines for the Perfect Buddhist life.
Any deviation from that several inches that exactly matches the size of one foot, and one will get muddy, or sink into soft sand, slip and fall, or maybe even cut themselves on sharp stones.

But that is all OK, because the Narrow Path is till clearly in view. The Way is still accessible. It has not been damaged, nor has it disappeared. One has only to take a step or two back from either side and proceed - a little more carefully, a little more slowly, one foot at a time, and the journey will, eventually, be accomplished.

But what about the forest?
Well, one may be lured into the forest out of curiosity, or because of others we see at the edges of the forest, having fun, playing games, darting about and doing things that seem interesting and enjoyable.
Yet, even if one gets distracted off the Narrow Path, and out of the immediate surrounding areas - into the forest itself... they can still make their way back to the Narrow Path, once they realize the forest is not The Way. If they have not gone too far and gotten lost in the thickest, darkest areas of the forest, there is still hope.

As long as one realizes they are lost, there is always hope to again find the smooth, clear, Middle Path.

Jasonpersonjessie70

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Gratitude for sharing. :)
    I have a notebook of mine from about 15 years ago, and it
    has a similar visulization described. I got mine out this morning
    and enjoyed the trip. Thanks!

I had even penciled drawings of the path, and the bushes,
    mud, things like you described.
    MaryAnne
  • Vastminds said:

Gratitude for sharing. :)
    I have a notebook of mine from about 15 years ago, and it
    has a similar visulization described. I got mine out this morning
    and enjoyed the trip. Thanks!

I had even penciled drawings of the path, and the bushes,
    mud, things like you described.

How cool is THAT!?

:thumbsup:
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Nice. :) Reminds me of Ajahn Sudanto's dhamma talk last night, which was about how we tend to visualize our practice. A lot of us start out wanting it to be like the Guggenheim, a beautiful spiritual journey gently spiraling upwards to awakening; but it's often not like that at all, and can actually be quite an arduous undertaking.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I really liked the imagery of the Buddhist path, it will probably stick with me. Thanks for sharing.