Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why is the Dalai Lama always male?

edited August 2012 in Buddhism Basics
This may be a REAL newbie question, and maybe it's not even really worth asking, but I've often wondered why the Dalai Lama is always a male.

I have my own ideas about this, but I'd really like to hear from people far more knowledgeable than me.

Love and light,
Heather

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Even he thinks it's odd, and has said himself that there's absolutely no reason whatsoever why the DL should be male.
    DaltheJigsaw
  • SileSile Veteran
    It's often said that great teachers reincarnate in the forms and locations which are likely to be the most fruitful for their teachings - in the past, this was likely to be a male reborn in a Buddhist area, but now it's possible that a female teacher in a country not traditionally Buddhist can have a wide impact. I believe HHDL has said this also - I'll see if I can find a quote.
    DaltheJigsaw
  • Thank you for your responses. Very interesting and heartening.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2012
    @Heather, So what are your own ideas....? :)
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Women are generally not listened to or taken as seriously in many cultures its easier to be male.
    I think you'll find this forum is an exception to that.... :skeptic:
    DaltheJigsaw
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Mmm don't they actually go out looking for male children? You'd think there'd be at least one Dalai Lama that would want to prove a point of equality and reincarnate as a woman, to get people over their inequality issues.
    federica said:

The Internet is not Tibet or India. Being faceless and gender less the only judgments made are upon view.
    Cloud said:

Mmm don't they actually go out looking for male children? You'd think there'd be at least one Dalai Lama that would want to prove a point of equality and reincarnate as a woman, to get people over their inequality issues.

There are usually indications or predictions from the previous incarnation saying where they shall take rebirth, The point of a Bodhisattva is to benefit others in smaller or larger ways, changing some cultural attitudes is unrealistic when Tibetans are primarily concerned with preservation of their culture and the personality cult of the Dalai lama makes it not so easy to change the status quo for fear breaking traditional and cultural values.

What the Dalai lama says to western people about equality is very different to what he says back home.
    caznamyaw said:

federica said:

The Internet is not Tibet or India. Being faceless and gender less the only judgments made are upon view.
    Lighten up.
    i was kidding......

:rolleyes: :)
    Cloud said:

In the Tibetan Book OLAD, Sogyal Rinpoche actually mentions that on occasions, female reincarnations WERE located - but those doing the seeking were so stuck in their ideas, that they believed they had made an error - and the reincarnated Lama/Tulku was in fact never located....because they dismissed the females as being a mistake in their calculations.

DaltheJigsaw
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @federica, That's awful! I had made a post saying even if the Dalai Lama wanted to reincarnate as a woman, they'd probably conveniently forget and find some male child, but then deleted it... thinking no, even traditional views wouldn't be enough for them to actually fail to find their spiritual leader. Guess I was wrong. :(
    Well, this was a while ago... but since then, they believe they located several lamas, outside of Tibet - and one was a catholic nun.... so maybe they're 'coming round to it' and i think if HH the DL says this will be a possibility, and that it shouldn't be discounted - maybe - hopefully - if it IS the case - they'll allow it....
    Telly03DaltheJigsaw
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Tradition makes me sad sometimes. If people were able to hold, but not hold tightly, they'd be able to adapt where necessary and appropriate. The problem is no one knows how to hold without holding tightly.

Traditions cling to themselves as if they've always existed and have always been that way... much as a person clings to themselves. Was there nothing before? :D
    BeejDaltheJigsaw
  • These answers are all probably better answers to your question than my answer which is: because patriarchy sucks.
    federica said:

caznamyaw said:

federica said:

Lighten up.
    i was kidding......

I have no sense of humour.

:D
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Be real. The Dalai Lama is male and comes from Tibet because the head monks are male and from Tibet, and the monks are not about to have a woman Dalai Lama. Neither is the Dalai Lama going to turn out to be a little japanese or black african boy. The Dalai Lama was the secular ruler of a nation, a priest-king. All dynasties must have a way of preventing open strife from breaking out among the many men jockying for power when the throne is vacant. In normal monarchies, you have the royal children inheriting the throne. Since the Dalai Lama is a monk so cannot have a physical son, they ended up with this method of finding a successor outside of the temple power struggle.

It's fascinating. But all the magical thinking in the world doesn't change the fact that they are taking a small boy and forcing him into a life of celebate religious study and ceremony.
    vinlynHeather
  • Cinorjer said:

Be real. The Dalai Lama is male and comes from Tibet because the head monks are male and from Tibet, and the monks are not about to have a woman Dalai Lama. Neither is the Dalai Lama going to turn out to be a little japanese or black african boy. The Dalai Lama was the secular ruler of a nation, a priest-king. All dynasties must have a way of preventing open strife from breaking out among the many men jockying for power when the throne is vacant. In normal monarchies, you have the royal children inheriting the throne. Since the Dalai Lama is a monk so cannot have a physical son, they ended up with this method of finding a successor outside of the temple power struggle.

It's fascinating. But all the magical thinking in the world doesn't change the fact that they are taking a small boy and forcing him into a life of celebate religious study and ceremony.

This is a very good point. Even if we assume that the Dalai Lama is everything he believes he is and is truly a reincarnation of past lamas, it still raises issues. What right do they have to force the boy into the religious life? All that being said, I do think this current Dalai Lama has a chance to change things regarding female Dalai Lamas simply because since he is no longer the rule of Tibet he can be more flexible regarding his successor.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012

All that being said, I do think this current Dalai Lama has a chance to change things regarding female Dalai Lamas simply because since he is no longer the rule of Tibet he can be more flexible regarding his successor.

Now that... is a good point. If only he's truly powerful enough within his own tradition to be able to change that tradition in such a fundamental way. Of course he'd have to want to actually do it too. :)
  • Cloud said:

All that being said, I do think this current Dalai Lama has a chance to change things regarding female Dalai Lamas simply because since he is no longer the rule of Tibet he can be more flexible regarding his successor.

Now that... is a good point. If only he's truly powerful enough within his own tradition to be able to change that tradition in such a fundamental way. Of course he'd have to want to actually do it too. :)
    He seems to be a legitimate reformer, I hope he is anyway. The world has far too many frauds in it and it needs people who are truly willing to change the system for the better. Perhaps I'm too optimistic about him, but the seems sincere.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited August 2012
    The year I was born, a black man (James Meredith) was shot in the back simply for asserting his right to attend university.

Tibetans are no more backwards in their civil rights efforts than anyone else.

The Dalai Lama is no longer the acting head of state for Tibet, though I think it could be important to have a Tibetan Dalai Lama for at least one more generation, with Tibetan culture on the verge of extinction under Chinese rule, and the very real need to hold the Tibetan people together through the upcoming trials.

There is nothing particularly wrong with a Dalai Lama being Tibetan (or male), and it shouldn't matter - what should matter is that the incarnation be someone best able to carry the work forward. There shouldn't need to be a symbolic female or non-Tibetan any more than there should need to be a male Tibetan; what matters is the dharma and the future Dalai Lama's (if there will be one at all) ability to enrich it.

There are still many, many important and precious dharma teachers in Tibetan society, and if having another Tibetan Dalai Lama helps to foster that connection and continue to bring that form of Buddhist knowledge to the world before it's lost forever, then I am all for it. At the same time, if a Western female Dalai Lama accomplishes that same work, I'm all for it.

There is not just the Tibetan community outside of Tibet to consider, but the millions inside Tibet. Their needs are also paramount. Under the shadow of Chinese occupation, they've not been able to see first-hand the advances made in Dharamsala and elsewhere with democratic structures and less-traditional leaders. If one more Tibetan Dalai Lama is beneficial to those inside Tibet, to hopefully get us through to some resolution on Tibet, that alone is reason enough to consider it worthwhile.

Personally, I feel it would be beneficial for the dharma if the next Dalai Lama were Tibetan--male or female--because the knowledge that remains to be spread from the current Tibetan teachers (both male and female) is still so untapped. If there could be another Great Bridge (like HHDL the 14th, and the 13th, and the current Karmapa Lama), I personally feel that would be the most beneficial thing in our current situation.

My guess is that the Karmapa Lama will be the acting figure, taking the foremost role until the next Dalai Lama is of age. Sadly the Panchen Lama is out of the picture, though I would give anything to be wrong. That poor child. I really feel he is not alive. I hate to say it, but that's my belief. If he is alive, he will have been raised under the most intense brainwashing imaginable; however, the very fact that China erected a false Panchen Lama is a sad indication Gedhun Choekyi Nyima is probably not here. I pray to be wrong.

DaltheJigsawpersonMaryAnne
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Contrary to popular belief, there have been, and still are, female "Living Buddhas" in Tibet. Heinrich Harrer saw one pass by when he was in TIbet, followed by a procession of people venerating her. She was 16 years old at the time. He said a few years later she came to head up the main nunnery in the country. Could be she's still alive. The previous Panchen Lama's daughter is venerated in a similar way. Khandro Rinpoche, who comes to the US on teaching tours once/year, is a recognized tulku.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @Dakini, I don't doubt there are enlightened females, there's no difference between a man and a woman after all, but I think @Heather's question was about the Dalai Lama in particular. ;)
  • Just saying... it could happen. It's not because "women aren't listened to or taken seriously", as someone posted earlier. Clearly, some are recognized at an early age to be important reincarnations, and they're taken very seriously.

...it could happen... ;)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @Dakini, Yes, yes it could, just like there could be a female President in America. Just because there have been 40+ male Presidents, and now 14 male Dalai Lamas, doesn't mean there can't be a female. I think it's generally been these institutions that have kept things male-oriented rather than anything else. It's just been that way traditionally, and so that's how they try to keep it. It can be otherwise.

What I think the problem is that there's never a question. The people who deal with the reincarnation and tracking down of the next Dalai Lama probably never ask themselves whether it's going to be a male or female, they just presume male because that's what it's been traditionally. Without the question being raised, there's no problem raised. If people start asking these types of questions and put them forth, if they're serious about it, then it will have to be answered. Otherwise they'll just keep on keepin' on as they ever have been.
    DaltheJigsaw
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Well, the DL himself has been getting radical, saying he might come back in a female form. He's a reincarnation of Avalokitesvara, so he could come back as Tara. But then, he's also said there will be no more DL's. So, file this thread under "General Banter", for its speculative nature. :D

Personally, I thought Pat Schroeder would have made a great President, having served on Congressional Defense committees, and all, but the media nailed her when she shed a tear, once. Can't have the President doing that (though US Presidents have). OK, back to topic. :)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Whaddaya mean no more DL's?

And Hillary Clinton probably would've made a good President, or maybe even will... she's already been in the midst of it when Bill was President, but probably wouldn't get impeached for sex in the oval office and lying about it. ;)
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Not a newbie question! Great question! I am wondering the same thing:)
    federica said:

caznamyaw said:

federica said:

Lighten up.
    i was kidding......

I have no sense of humour.

:D

Then get some!:) It's for sale!!!

One of the best responses!
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Cloud said:

Whaddaya mean no more DL's?

Did you miss the big news? Last year, the DL announced that he would stop reincarnating. There will be no more DL's, he said. (He sees this in part as a move toward Democracy, but I suspect he wanted to yank China's chain, and it worked.) 2 weeks later, China issued an official statement internationally, saying the Dalai Lama MUST reincarnate, he MUST continue to observe tradition! (This, coming from the CCP, mind you.) They freaked, because if there are no more DL's, they won't be able to manipulate the system, and pick their own stooge DL.

As far as we know, the DL is still considering his options.

That DL, you never know what he'll do (or won't do) next. Such a character! ;)
    DaltheJigsaw
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Oh okay I heard something about that. Stupid Chinese.
  • Cloud said:

Stupid Chinese.

LOL! Crazy, no?

• CloudCloud Veteran
    A lot of words @Dakini, a lot of words.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    I remember seeing an interview where that British nun (the one that lived in a cave for 12 years) was asked about male chauvinists in Tibetan Buddhism and she said something along the lines, "Name me one institution that historically has never suffered with this?"

I think things (and attitudes) are changing though.
    Sile said:

The year I was born, a black man (James Meredith) was shot in the back simply for asserting his right to attend university.

Tibetans are no more backwards in their civil rights efforts than anyone else.

The Dalai Lama is no longer the acting head of state for Tibet, though I think it could be important to have a Tibetan Dalai Lama for at least one more generation, with Tibetan culture on the verge of extinction under Chinese rule, and the very real need to hold the Tibetan people together through the upcoming trials.

There is nothing particularly wrong with a Dalai Lama being Tibetan (or male), and it shouldn't matter - what should matter is that the incarnation be someone best able to carry the work forward. There shouldn't need to be a symbolic female or non-Tibetan any more than there should need to be a male Tibetan; what matters is the dharma and the future Dalai Lama's (if there will be one at all) ability to enrich it.

There are still many, many important and precious dharma teachers in Tibetan society, and if having another Tibetan Dalai Lama helps to foster that connection and continue to bring that form of Buddhist knowledge to the world before it's lost forever, then I am all for it. At the same time, if a Western female Dalai Lama accomplishes that same work, I'm all for it.

There is not just the Tibetan community outside of Tibet to consider, but the millions inside Tibet. Their needs are also paramount. Under the shadow of Chinese occupation, they've not been able to see first-hand the advances made in Dharamsala and elsewhere with democratic structures and less-traditional leaders. If one more Tibetan Dalai Lama is beneficial to those inside Tibet, to hopefully get us through to some resolution on Tibet, that alone is reason enough to consider it worthwhile.

Personally, I feel it would be beneficial for the dharma if the next Dalai Lama were Tibetan--male or female--because the knowledge that remains to be spread from the current Tibetan teachers (both male and female) is still so untapped. If there could be another Great Bridge (like HHDL the 14th, and the 13th, and the current Karmapa Lama), I personally feel that would be the most beneficial thing in our current situation.

My guess is that the Karmapa Lama will be the acting figure, taking the foremost role until the next Dalai Lama is of age. Sadly the Panchen Lama is out of the picture, though I would give anything to be wrong. That poor child. I really feel he is not alive. I hate to say it, but that's my belief. If he is alive, he will have been raised under the most intense brainwashing imaginable; however, the very fact that China erected a false Panchen Lama is a sad indication Gedhun Choekyi Nyima is probably not here. I pray to be wrong.

Actually the Chinese Panchen Lama isn't doing such a bad job if you disregard the nationalist polemics of exiled Tibetans, It is not unheard of for their to be multiple reincarnations of certain lama's ( Body, Speech, Mind, activity ) and if we truly believe in Buddha's ability to benefit others I can see no reason why even if the chinese picked their own candidate that he could not live up to the role of the Panchen Lama, Which is to benefit others.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @caznamyaw - he's not so much doing a bad job, as not doing much of a job at all. It's not really possible to fill the role of Panchen Lama if no one accepts you as the Panchen Lama. Not his fault.

But it's certainly possible to be a good person and act compassionately - no question there. His hands are tied, though; he's told what to do and when to do it, by a political party. He is not really acting in his own capacity. He has to just try to weather things as they are, which includes having protectors Photoshopped into ones portraits without warning: (http://theshugdengroup.wordpress.com/2010/08/07/the-panchen-lama-dorje-shugden-china/)

I feel for the boy, and wish him all the best. The last Panchen Lama China sponsored by China, after all, spoke out in the end, and paid for it with his life.

Here's a perhaps unexpected picture of HH the 10th, taken about four weeks before Lanchow was evacuated - I doubt my 8 year old dad knew at the time he was being overflown by a much more famous boy, nor suspected he himself would be thrown into the cargo hold of a similar (the same?) aircraft to escape Mao's forces in August:

• Why is the Dalai Lama always male?
    Maybe he just finds bras uncomfortable..?
    Honey - WOMEN find bras uncomfortable!!
  • Right! So why would he want to turn up as one? :lol:
  • SileSile Veteran
    RebeccaS said:

Right! So why would he want to turn up as one? :lol:

He sometimes mentions that he feels women would be a natural pick for world leadership world, due to what he feels is their greater sensitivity.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I can't help but think associatively of the old joke about the Christian man who had just suffered a near-death experience. When he woke up one of his friends sat near the bed. "You were clinically dead, you know?" the consoler said. "Yeah, I know," the patient replied. "So what was it like? Did you see God? What was that like?" the friend asked. The patient organized his thoughts for a few seconds and then replied, "Well, first of all, she's black...."
    Heather
    Sile said:

@caznamyaw - he's not so much doing a bad job, as not doing much of a job at all. It's not really possible to fill the role of Panchen Lama if no one accepts you as the Panchen Lama. Not his fault.

But it's certainly possible to be a good person and act compassionately - no question there. His hands are tied, though; he's told what to do and when to do it, by a political party. He is not really acting in his own capacity. He has to just try to weather things as they are, which includes having protectors Photoshopped into ones portraits without warning: (http://theshugdengroup.wordpress.com/2010/08/07/the-panchen-lama-dorje-shugden-china/)

I feel for the boy, and wish him all the best. The last Panchen Lama China sponsored by China, after all, spoke out in the end, and paid for it with his life.

Here's a perhaps unexpected picture of HH the 10th, taken about four weeks before Lanchow was evacuated - I doubt my 8 year old dad knew at the time he was being overflown by a much more famous boy, nor suspected he himself would be thrown into the cargo hold of a similar (the same?) aircraft to escape Mao's forces in August:

Buddha's don't mind if no one accepts them they still proceed in their activities in fact this Panchen Lama has already met with the previous Gaden Tripa (101st). So he already has living Tsongkhapa's approval :)

Things do not stay the same forever yes he may be being used by the Communist party primarily to try and maintain harmony ( However Unsuccessful ) but don't forget he is still young and coming into his own being, I foresee he shall be able to benefit many sentient beings in the future regardless of whether certain people decide to photoshop a protector behind him or not it doesn't matter. Buddha's manifest in a variety of ways to help others.

I always find it interesting as to how due to politics the chinese Karmapa is welcomed with open arms while the one traditionally chosen is rejected due to his lack of political connections ( But funnily enough still engages in the activities of a Buddha ) But again it is not unheard of for Buddha's to manifest in many forms for the benefit of others.
  • SonghillSonghill Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Addressing the OP, this might help:

"Any person who does not realise that he has the Buddha-Nature is a woman. If he does so realise, he is a man. If any woman knows that she has the Buddha-Nature, she is a man" (Mahaparinirvana Sutra).

So here is a man (Chöying Drôlma):

• Hey, thanks, Songhill! That Nirvana Sutra is full of gems, isn't it! Fascinating.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Some relevant snips from an interview with HHDL in The Progressive, January 2006:

The Dalai Lama: Up to now, most of the abbots in the nunneries are males. Now, there will be well-qualified female abbots within the nunnery community itself. Then, if a female lama passes away and she’s been a good scholar and practitioner, it is quite possible that the reincarnation will be a female, too. So, I think, that in the twenty-second century, there will be more female reincarnations at female institutions. Then there’ll be competition between male lama institutions and female lama institutions. It’ll be a positive sort of competition. [Laughs]

As early as 1969, I made an official statement that the very institution of the Dalai Lama, whether it should continue or not, is up to the people. Second, in 1992, I made clear that when the day of our return—with a certain degree of freedom—comes, I’ll hand over all my political authority to the local Tibetan government. Hopefully, that government should be a democratic, elected government. And even while we have remained outside Tibet—for the last forty-six years—we have undertaken strong efforts at democratization. In the last four years, we have established an elected political leadership. Since then, I have been in a position of semi-retirement. Once the day of our return comes, I will go into complete retirement.

There will be no political role for the Dalai Lama. This will be true not only for me but for any future Dalai Lama.

Q: And you have said that the next Dalai Lama will be discovered outside China.

The Dalai Lama: As I’ve said earlier, whether this institution will continue depends on the people. Under the best of circumstances, I think that the institution should continue. First, the maintenance of the institution is important. Then, there is the personal history. Both options should be kept open. If the Tibetan people want another reincarnation, then logically while we’re outside, the successor should be someone who can carry out this task, which has not yet been accomplished by the previous Dalai Lama. That means that he must come in a free country. But the Chinese government will also appoint a Dalai Lama. So there’ll be two Dalai Lamas. One Dalai Lama—the Chinese official Dalai Lama—the Tibetan people will have no faith in. Even the ordinary Chinese will have no faith in him. He’ll be a false Dalai Lama. Sometimes our Chinese brothers and sisters have different calculations. [Laughs]

http://www.progressive.org/mag_intv0106
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    http://protectingnyingma2.wordpress.com/2012/04/19/can-women-achieve-enlightenment/

Buddhism for the most part is male dominated, and yes, even chauvinism lives within the ranks of the religion, hence the comment to the blog. There are some Buddhists who say that the only way to attain enlightenment is to be reborn as a male, and in the Vinaya, the monastic code of conduct, women have more vows than men…yes, that is all true. It is also true that Buddhist leaders in Asian countries are almost always men.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited August 2012
    The top three positions at my media organization are held by men, too - as are most of the main administrative positions for my town, city, and state.

It will take a while for things to be more balanced, given that, for example, Western women have only been formally educated in significant numbers since the 19th century, and many not until th 20th. I don't mean they aren't immediately capable, simply that it takes time for any society to shift centuries of momentum.

As for Buddhism, it may be slightly more accurate to say it appears to be male-dominated; if you look more closely, you find centuries of quiet female leadership. This phenomenon, in fact, holds true for many cultures and vocations throughout history - men may have been in the news, but that doesn't mean there were no female forces.

Of course today there is increasingly prominent female leadership in Buddhism; I remember when Ani Choying Drolma came to sing and teach, she sat up high and Geshe Lhundup Sopa, Yangsi Rinpoche, and other geshes sat low; no one had any issues with it, even though she was only in her 30s! The times they are a-changing.

I think there shouldn't be any rush, just as there shouldn't be any discouragement of existing, accomplished female teachers. We want great, gifted teachers; it doesn't really matter what ethnic group or sex they appear to be in this lifetime.
  • I've always said, the most profound and permanent change Western culture might bring to Buddhism is opening it up to women at all levels.