Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

But life isnt suffering!

I've been talking about buddhism with people of late, and one consistent response I get is: "Well I don't think life is suffering."

Whats up with that denial- any thoughts?
[Deleted User]

Comments

• RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited September 2012
    I don't think that life is suffering means that life isn't nice. It's the attachment that is suffering, not life in and of itself.

Life is actually pretty lovely. :) Animals, plants, music, art, blue skies, love, friendship... Lots of awesome things about life. Get attached to them and yeah, you'll suffer, but it's not life that caused it, it was the attachment.
    SilouanLostLightBeej
  • Most people see life as a mixture of happiness and suffering, so of course they're going to deny that life is suffering. It's only when you really see things clearly that everything starts to look unsatisfactory.
    mithril
  • i dont know if the buddha meant that attachment is suffering. i thought the message was that life in itself is unsatisfactory?
  • Cloud said:

Most people see life as a mixture of happiness and suffering, so of course they're going to deny that life is suffering. It's only when you really see things clearly that everything starts to look unsatisfactory.

I reckon the opposite - that the more evolved you become and the closer you get to enlightenment, the nicer things start to look. I don't mean that they'd be a substitute for enlightenment or anything, but that the world would become a more pleasant place. Just my opinion :)
    MaryAnneLostLightDaltheJigsaw
  • ya when you gain the insight, our suffering will subside. but its tough to have a conversation with someone who firstly denies the first noble truth.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    @RebeccaS, I don't think things look nicer as you approach enlightenment, they're just seen more clearly and so there's less craving and attachment. Certainly life would seem less of a burden, and this peace would itself be "nice".
    DaltheJigsaw
  • perhaps you'd have to begin talking about how even happy moments are impermanent and subject to change? then this leads to argument that without striving towards equanimity our consciousness is subject to these happy or sad moments that occur - like a blindfolded rollercoaster ride.
    MaryAnneLostLight
  • It doesn't necessarily mean that they're in denial, but it could mean that there are different levels of understanding. I think if any of us truly understood the first noble truth, we'd be enlightened. Until then, we understand it to varying degrees based on our own perceptions and level of progress in our spiritual evolution.
    CloudMaryAnneupekka
  • I've been talking about buddhism with people of late, and one consistent response I get is: "Well I don't think life is suffering."

It is not suffering, it is Dukka. Suffering is but one instantiation of Dukka. Another is that feeling you get half way through your holiday.

All experience is inevitably Dukka, even the good stuff.

still_learning
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    @RebeccaS, Well said! :) It's really our knowing of (all) suffering and its origin that brings about enlightenment. The further along we are, the clearer our "Right View", which is an ever-evolving view. We start out with a conceptual model but begin adjusting it bit by bit as we gain insight into the true nature of reality.
    RebeccaSMaryAnne
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Cloud said:

@RebeccaS, I don't think things look nicer as you approach enlightenment, they're just seen more clearly and so there's less craving and attachment. Certainly life would seem less of a burden, and this peace would itself be "nice".

I think reality (seen beyond ego and perception, in the enlightened state) is probably beautiful. :) I'm not enlightened so obviously I don't know, but it makes sense to me that as you go "up the ladder" the world would become progressively more beautiful as you start to see more of the truth (reality).

"Truth is beauty, beauty, truth" or something like that anyway, I can't remember the quote :)
    MaryAnne
  • @thickpaper - you're right. i wasnt thinking about this precisely enough...

i dont know. i still think its a denial - is it anyways in the literal meaning of the word. and i wonder whether the ego blocks this? one person who denied was just complaining to me a couple weeks before about how he was frustrated with his life.
  • @RebeccaS, Simply knowing the truth is beautiful. The entire world opens up.
    RebeccaS
  • @Cloud Amen :)
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited September 2012

I've been talking about buddhism with people of late, and one consistent response I get is: "Well I don't think life is suffering."

I think starting with the “first noble truth” has a logic to it, but it is probably not the best way to start explaining Buddhism.

I’d start with explaining that Buddhism is a way of life; not doing harm; meditating that sort of thing. And I think I’d say that this way of life is helping me in finding inner peace.

Many people feel they could use some inner peace, I think.

vinlynHookahCaterpillarcarolann
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Well I can tell you it will not help going around saying "it is too" :).

And to the wrong people at the wrong time you can waste heaps of time explaining what their lives really look like, susceptible to disease, decay and death. Sorrow, pain, grief, in the end loosing all they held dear and what dukkha really means and so on and so forth.

But if they are currently in a too good station they will not want to listen.

This sutta explains it pretty good.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.113.than.html

Good luck.

/Victor
    Silouanupekka
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I think you have to be careful of the First Noble Truth, and not overstate it. I like the way Buddhanet describes it: "Suffering is a fact of life. There are four unavoidable physical sufferings; birth, old age, sickness and death. There are also three forms of mental suffering; separation from the people we love; contact with people we dislike and frustration of desires. Happiness is real and comes in many ways, but happiness does not last forever and does not stop suffering. Buddhists believe that the way to end suffering is to first accept the fact that suffering is actually a fact of life."

Of the four physical sufferings, I've been over the birth suffering for over 60 years. I am just getting into the old age suffering, with some sickness, and I know eventually I will die. But in between birth and old age, there were lots of years -- the so-called "prime of life" years, where that aspect of suffering was not going on. Yes, occasionally I might have gotten sick, but mostly I felt pretty good, in terms of physical health.

In terms of mental suffering, yes, sometimes I have been separated from loved ones and suffered, sometimes I have come in contact with unpleasant people (including on this forum) and suffered, and sometimes my desires have been frustrated and I have suffered. But not all the time.

To me this Noble Truth is saying yes, there are unquestionably going to be periods of suffering in your life. I don't read it as saying that's every day. So I don't life as suffering, but I do see life as periodic periods of suffering. It's a fact of life, but it's not all of life.
    MaryAnnecarolann
  • All of life is suffering only to us who are deluded and in a state of ignorance. Things that we equate with happiness are only what we are projecting on them. If I'm in an angry mood something that usually gives me pleasure and joy is now seen to me as angry, because that's what I'm projecting upon it. Not only that, but to all objects around me as well, because that's my current state of mind. The happiness we are seeking is beyond this state of ignorance.
  • I would also like to add that we aren't pessimistic in seeing all of life in the deluded state as suffering, because we have hope in its end through enlightenment or illumination.
  • mindatriskmindatrisk Veteran
    edited September 2012
    I don't think it is that life in each moment is suffering, but life in each moment is underpinned by the potential for suffering that can arise at anytime, and as such our grasping of any pleasure in this world might lead to enjoyment but, due to impermanence, could also lead to suffering.

This potential for suffering exists in everything. It may never arise, but it also may arise, and we can never know if it will or won't. When we attempt to derive our happiness from the world we certainly can have some relative success, but that only heightens the degree of suffering should our success sour.

When we become aware of this then that awareness can remove all desire for attaining and experiencing worldly pleasure because we recognise the potential for greater suffering to arise through our grasping - this awareness itself is the ultimate suffering, and what perhaps is meant by 'life is suffering', because now we see the potential for suffering in all of life and we hesitate to embrace it.

This suffering is relieved when and only when we seek happiness independent of the world through the practice of a non-attached mind.
    MaryAnneJeffreypoptartDaltheJigsaw
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Yes, it is denial. It is also true to some extent, and completely false to some extent.

Buddha said the problem is that people suffer. He didn't say life is nothing but suffering for everyone. That would be a short and brutal life, and in fact is true for millions of people in the world today. Tell the starved skeleton-like children trying to live on a spoonful of rice a day in Africa that life isn't suffering. Tell the child with bruises and broken bones from her own abusive parents that life isn't suffering.

But that's the exception. For most of us life isn't all suffering. But the problem is still suffering. Everyone suffers once in a while. You're completely happy right now? Congratulations. I'm glad for you. How many empty, foreclosed houses did you drive past, to get to the job that at least you still have? You're happy? Fine. You're surrounded by people who are suffering, who are not as lucky or gifted or smart as you.

Now some people don't give a damn about that. Suffering is something that happens to other people. They brought it on themselves. Your job will never go away. Your loved ones will never get sick. Disaster will never happen to you. If that's true, then I'm happy for you.

But for the rest of us, Buddhism says the problem is, people are suffering. I'm part of that group who wants to roll up my sleeves and do something about it.

LostLightMaryAnneVastmind
  • Everything is fine when you feel happy. No problems.

But then it turns on you and everything is wrong.

Because of this phenomena we have Buddhism, which works on the mind to understand the dichotomy. You cannot have mahasukkha without mahadukkha.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Even if we're happy now it's not going to last. Life is a constant struggle to find and maintain happiness. This is really the unsatisfactory part. We could be either happy or unhappy in any given moment, but the "cycle" (Samsara) keeps us imprisoned. Once we see this as the case, the only "cure" is to break free of this cycle by following the Noble Eightfold Path to lessen and finally eradicate all craving.
    Beejperson
  • Saying life is suffering is like saying an apple with a brown mark is no longer edible. It is very much edible; all you have to do is cut out the brown spot, and you'll see that the apple is just as sweet. Suffering isn't pleasant, but we don't have to accept it; life can exist without suffering as the Buddha taught. Accept that both good and bad things will happen and you'll see that the "brown marks" can always be cut out.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    Try to think of "suffering" in the sense of learning.

When Jesus (allegedly) said "Suffer the children unto me", he meant bring the children into the light (his teachings) so that they may learn.

You can think of suffering in that sense. That the way out of our personal darkness is by the way of learning the path to enlightenment as we see fit.
    poptart
  • Can you find any permanent satisfaction? How long do you think you can sit, stand, walk or lie down before having to change? What about needing to eat or drink?

Of course there are lovely bits too but there is no denying that there is dukkha in life.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    ^^ Pagembara, who on the thread is saying that there is no dukkha in life?
  • driedleafdriedleaf Veteran
    edited September 2012
    I think what they really meant to say is that "Life isn't just suffering", then they would be correct. It also depends from what context one is using the word "life". Life as a human being is not just suffering, but life as a sentient being that experiences countless rebirths is suffering altogether.
    MaryAnne
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2012
    poptart said:

To me the meaning of suffering is more "unsatisfactory-ness", (although I know there is no such word!)

There is now! and TBH, I have seen it written thus, elsewhere, so there's no reason to suppose it should not be acceptable....

Edit Note: I think you're fine....
    thefreedictionary.com/unsatisfactoriness....
    It's that constant longing for something else, the ego grasping that makes us keep wanting more or thinking we are incomplete in some way. Of course finding a new lover or buying a new car eases it temporarily but before long it's back again, the nagging thought that I need something else to make me happy.
    Yea, I believe that sums it up very well...
    The truth of awakening is discovering you are already complete and need nothing to make you whole.
    It's such a 'simple' thing... Amazing that we just don't get it....

poptart
  • poptartpoptart Veteran
    edited September 2012
    federica said:

There is now! and TBH, I have seen it written thus, elsewhere, so there's no reason to suppose it should not be acceptable....

Edit Note: I think you're fine....

Thanks! I have a feeling I've seen it too, but I'm hopeless at remembering quotes.
    From Wikipedia, one of the eight types of dukkha is:
    All-pervasive suffering: a very subtle dissatisfaction that exists all the time; it arises as a reaction to the qualities of conditioned things (e.g. the impermanence of things).
    Full description here.

• SileSile Veteran
    edited September 2012
    One doesn't have to see too many animals or people dying in pain to realize once and for all that life is suffering. I believe it's at that point, or after enough of those poins, that genuine renunciation arises. It doesn't mean there's no joy in life, but that the endless cycle of intense suffering is absolutely unacceptable, and to be renounced. There's simply no reason to cling to this cycle once we are of the belief that it and the suffering in it can be ended.

We are so often like children born and raised in an abusive family, not knowing any alternative, and thinking that level of pain and darkness is normal.

It's easy to get complacent when one isn't currently experiencing or seeing suffering close-up; I find it helpful to recall intense moments of suffering and realize that all through the world, at this very moment, people and animals are suffering just as intensely. Not as a way to become totally incapacitated with depression, but as a powerful incentive to keep on the path.

Last year some people in my passed away and/or were suffering from cancer. I remarked on it to my friend who is a social worker. He said, "It seems unusual to you now, but in reality it's all around us, all the time, just down the street. Once in a while, we are personally reminded of that."

True joy is found not in being happy when we personally are doing okay, but in realizing there's a path for ourselves and all beings leading out of suffering, forever.
    CloudCinorjerBeej
  • To me, the idea that life is suffering relates to the impermanence of people and things. LIfe isn't always suffering, there are a lot of moments that are wonderful....maybe even blissful. However, these moments always pass. The same goes for the bad moments. They come, they suck, and then they pass. The suffering comes from the knowledge that we cannot find eternal happiness because our feelings, environment, and status are constantly changing.

To answer your question, I think that many people misinterpret this idea as that of a cynical chronically depressed person and nobody wants to be or deal with someone like that. Believe me, I know. Still, speaking as a chronically depressed person, I understand that happiness is possible and I have had plenty of it in my life. The problem is that is it just not constant. That, to me, is where the suffering comes in.
    federicaMaryAnneBeejSile
  • SonghillSonghill Veteran
    edited September 2012
    The noble truth of suffering actually pertains to the psycho-physical body. This body is suffering.

"And what , bhikkhus, is the noble truth of suffering? it should be said: the five aggregates subject to clinging; that is, the form aggregate subject to clinging [all the way to] the consciousness aggregate subject to clinging. This is called the noble truth of suffering" (S.v.425).

This body, that we presently cling to, we believe to be our self. But the Buddha says that this body is not the self (anattâ) and what suffers is not the self (anattâ) (S. iii. 45). By implication, only the self does not suffer, that is, the Buddha-nature.

JeffreySile
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited September 2012
    @Songhill..
    I can appreciate how you were able to connect suffering with the
    Buddha nature teachings. Very concise.

Sile
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran

They haven't had it turn to shit yet...yet. The nature of Samsara is dis-satisfactory some people don't actually know any better and are deceived by phenomena that turn into causes of suffering it is sad when they think temporal reductions of previous suffering is actual happiness.
    VastmindBeejSile
    edited September 2012
    It is my understanding,
    that as long as I am craving,
    I am suffering.
    I crave all kinds of things, all the time.
    I'm practicing, though. :)
    cazBeej
  • SonghillSonghill Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Vastminds:
    It is my understanding,
    that as long as I am craving,
    I am suffering.
    I crave all kinds of things, all the time.
    I'm practicing, though.
    You are correct. And here is actually what we are clinging to which is the origin of suffering.

"And these five aggregates affected by clinging are dependently arisen. The desire, indulgence, inclination, and holding based on these five aggregates affected by clinging is the origination of suffering" (M. i. 191). (Emphasis added.)

We are not intrinsically the psycho-physical, aggregate body (of suffering). Such a body is conditioned. When our very self (paccatta) reaches the unconditioned (nirvana) we realize the character (dhatu) of the awakened (buddha) (i.e., Buddha-nature).

Vastmind
    edited September 2012
    @Songhill...I agree, I am correct. lololololol :)

Your posts just come across as very...um...uptight, sometimes.
    It is important to back up teachings yes, but I need a little of
    your flavor too, you know? haha
    The posts where you give a commentary, I most
    of the time, seem to get what you are trying to say.
    Gratitude.

I plead guilty of off-topic.
    Beejvinlyn
  • It is said that once you have a deep personal understanding of the 1st Nobel Truth all of the other Truths and the benefits of the 8FP will fall into place.

As to what prevents that understanding, denial is probably a reason, maybe avoidance, but it comes down to awareness and Right View.

Best Wishes

Vastmind
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    I just want to thank everyone that has contributed to this thread, I am finding it really helpful today. So, Thanks Gang!
  • I feel as though everyone on here shares the same idea on this topic, yet all have different ways of explaining it, which is creating the illusion of conflict.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited September 2012
    vinlyn said:

^^ Pagembara, who on the thread is saying that there is no dukkha in life?

Can you find any permanent satisfaction? How long do you think you can sit, stand, walk or lie down before having to change? What about needing to eat or drink?

Of course there are lovely bits too but there is no denying that there is dukkha in life.
    The OP was that existence itself is dukkha, the whole lot of it, even the pleasant bits. That was what my post was pointing to. That is reality!

Why? Because of change, as in everything has a beginning and end. Birth and death, separation etc.

“Seeing thus, the well-instructed disciple of the Noble Ones grows disenchanted with the body, disenchanted with feelings, disenchanted with perception, disenchanted with mental formations, disenchanted with consciousness. Disenchanted, he becomes dispassionate. Through dispassion, he is freed. With freedom, there is the knowledge, ‘I am free.’ He knows ‘Birth has been destroyed, the holy life has been fulfilled, what should be done has been done. There is nothing further to be done here.’”
    That is what the Blessed One said. Delighted, the group of five monks rejoiced in what the Blessed One had said; and while this exposition was being given, the minds of the five monks were fully released from the corruptions, without any remainder.
    Then there were six Arahants in the world."

Anattalakkhana Sutta
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    There are 4 noble truths which are taught together. To stop at the first one kind of misses the point.

If we also don't know about the 3rd noble truth of the possibility of the liberation from suffering of course we'd try to find the pleasant moments in life and take a positive view of our existence. Life is suffering when compared to nirvana, supposedly even the best, happiest bits.
    CloudBeej
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    @person, Agreed. I think people look at the First Noble Truth and take that as a blanket statement that always applies, but don't link in the rest of the 4NT to see that it only applies when craving is present, and that the cessation of craving is the cessation of dukkha. Conditioned existence is dukkha, unconditioned existence is not. What "condition" are we talking about? Craving. ;)
    Jason
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Cloud said:

@person, Agreed. I think people look at the First Noble Truth and take that as a blanket statement that always applies, but don't link in the rest of the 4NT to see that it only applies when craving is present, and that the cessation of craving is the cessation of dukkha. Conditioned existence is dukkha, unconditioned existence is not. What "condition" are we talking about? Craving. ;)

I agree. Reminds of the point Thanissaro Bhikkhu makes in "Life Isn't Just Suffering."
  • A more careful reading of the Four Noble Truths reveals the 2nd is not just about craving—that means almost nothing. The real origin of suffering is about "desire, indulgence, inclination, and holding based on these five aggregates" (M.i.191). (Emphasis added.)

Clinging to the five aggregates (which are suffering), which constitute our psycho-physical organism, is the real problem. So we are enjoined by the Buddha to abandon the 2nd Noble Truth (cp. S.v.422). But we can only do it by transcendence since we can't reform our aggregates.

person
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    "Any desire, embracing, grasping, & holding-on to these five clinging-aggregates is the origination of stress. Any subduing of desire & passion, any abandoning of desire & passion for these five clinging-aggregates is the cessation of stress." (MN 28)

Four Noble Truths.

Booyah! :D
    DaftChris[Deleted User]