Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Yoga

2»

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    A guy died while our house was being built, and it still creeps me out, lol. But, it was in the yard and not the house itself. He was digging the sewer, and the sewer has never worked properly. I blame the guy, lol.

I'm not sure how I feel about it, either. I do think sometimes when really bad things happen that those places hold that energy, to a degree. Not saying I think there are ghosts there, but just bad energy. Like you might in a town you don't know, and you can walk by a place and it just feels very wrong and dark. I feel that way when I go to the battlefield where Custer's Last Stand happen, and I felt that way when I was a child and didn't even understood what happened there. I don't think in that case, our street holds onto energy like that from my sister's accident, I think that is just my perception. But I think both are possible.
    RebeccaS
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited November 2012

How signifcant is yoga to buddhism? I have tried some of it but I don't normaly practice it.

Yoga is Hindu in origin and first mentioned in the Upanishads if I remember correctly.

Not yoga as we know it, but the word :lol:

• karasti said:

A guy died while our house was being built, and it still creeps me out, lol. But, it was in the yard and not the house itself. He was digging the sewer, and the sewer has never worked properly. I blame the guy, lol.

I'm not sure how I feel about it, either. I do think sometimes when really bad things happen that those places hold that energy, to a degree. Not saying I think there are ghosts there, but just bad energy. Like you might in a town you don't know, and you can walk by a place and it just feels very wrong and dark. I feel that way when I go to the battlefield where Custer's Last Stand happen, and I felt that way when I was a child and didn't even understood what happened there. I don't think in that case, our street holds onto energy like that from my sister's accident, I think that is just my perception. But I think both are possible.

Yeah, I agree I think.

It was the bad town example that swayed me. Some places, towns, cities or whatever are just dark places. The bricks and mortar are the same, but you can just feel the negativity. These are places with high crime rates, and they just feel all wrong.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2012
    @TheEccentric, to my knowledge yoga is an extension rather than a part of Buddhism. Buddha didn't teach yoga as far as I know, but he had students who studied yoga and so it got mixed.
  • Hatha Yoga can be a pre-cursor to raja-yoga (mind based practice) and helps with focus and pain during sitting, keeps ones body-mind (no difference really) healthy and on the path.
    You will find Buddhism is a form of yoga . . . and really came out of the Buddhas early training which led to his enlightenment . . .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoga_Sutras_of_Patanjali

Asato Ma Sat Gamayo
  • I thought some of you might be interested in some of the postures of . . .
    paper bag yoga
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited December 2012
    well, if you want to know what Yoga actually means in Hinduism, please see below thread, in which some information about Yoga is gathered:
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/15449/subtle-points-in-hinduism-which-have-been-overlooked
  • RebeccaS said:

...There's nothing really spiritual about it... Unless you want there to be...

Conversely, Yoga is a spiritual practice... unless you don't want it to be.
  • Interesting discussion! I think that to do yoga you need to be mindful of the sensations in the body, and ignore distracting thoughts that are not related to the postures. If you don't, then you are only "acting" the practice of yoga (nothing wrong with that, it's still enjoyable and good exercise). If you do, then with time you will develop greater sensitivity to what is happening in the body, become more present in the here and now, and will have quite wholesome mind-states for at least the duration of the class, and usually quite some time afterwards too.

@TheEccentric, I think it is not necessary at all for practicing buddhism, but it can help a lot. For example, it is relatively easy to experience the pleasure of relaxation after an intensive yoga class. This experience can help to achieve relaxation in a meditation posture.