Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Yoga

sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
edited September 2012 in Diet & Habits
Hi everyone

Do you do yoga?

Do you have any recommendations on books or videos?

( And could we get a category on the site called "Yoga" ? how do you guys feel about that?)

Comments

• Yoga is something I have wanted to do for a while now but have never tried. I thought about doing it at home on my own but feel I need to do it in a group to get anything out of it; to get the moves and the mood correct. Soon I will find the time to attend a weekly class.
    sovaDaltheJigsawlobster
  • I did some a few years ago and coincidentally just started again.
    I can recommend Yoga For You by Tara Fraser (book) and Elements of Yoga: Earth Foundation with Tara Lee (DVD).
    sova
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I always really enjoy Rodney Yee's videos. He is very keen on awareness and mindfulness of the breath and body. Yoga Burn is the one I normally do and I find it very enjoyable. Most of the classes here are taught at times I can't attend class, but I found in creating the proper environment in my home I can really enjoy it.
    sovaDaltheJigsaw
  • I don't do yoga- but I do Pilates mat. Yoga seems to generally require more flexibility and balance... I think I want to work up to that. Pilates builds up your core and alignment. A while back I was doing Pilates on a regular basis and I felt longer, leaner and much stronger in my center. Thing that would lead to better balance. And everything you say about your physical development has a mental and spiritual analog.
    sovaDaltheJigsaw
    Whatever you are most comfortable with works, of course :) But it helps to not like of yoga as a destination, and more like a process. Just like you would not sit down to meditate for 2 hours the first time, or go for a 5 mile run the first time, you won't go through an hour long routine in perfect form and hold all the poses the first time, either. It's something to work up to, and you can modify and just do your best all through it and gain flexibility and strength in your body as you work towards full completion of yoga workouts. Also, you can start simpler with 20-30 minute programs and classes if it's what you want to do. If not, then no worries! Just don't avoid yoga if you want to do it, because you think you aren't prepared for it, can't do it, aren't strong enough or whatever.
    sovaDaltheJigsaw
  • I play the guitar for a living and had considered taking up Yoga for many years but never got to it. About five years ago I had a debilitating case of tendonitis and thought I was finished.

When a therapist helped me get through the tendonitis she recommend Yoga and I have been doing it for five years and it is one of the best things I have ever done.

At first I thought the tendonitis meant the end but now it represents a new beginning and I actually see it as a blessing.

One of the great advantages of a regular Yoga practice is how much it helps with meditation posture.
    sovammo
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Yes for Yoga! I been practicing for a few months, and I love it! I practice PX90 Yoga.
  • sova said:

Do you have any recommendations on books or videos?

I practice Iyengar Yoga and I recommend the books by B K S Iyengar and there are some great videos of him on YouTube

"Light On Yoga" is a good book to start with.
  • I have recently began practicing Kundalini Yoga. It utilizes lots of breath work and raises the body's energies through mantra and meditation, which I found very fascinating when I first experienced the effects. I love it. I am reading the book, Yoga for Real Life by Maya Fiennes and practicing with two of her DVD's.
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Yoga is good. Makes you more ninja-like. Everyone can use some of that. :ninja:
    sovakarasti
  • I have a daily home practice. It's my moving meditation. I'm more into gentle and restorative sequences, but sometimes like a more fitness-oriented practice.

If you're familiar with proper form and alignment and don't need videos, there are some great, free audio podcasts from yogadownload.com - about 20 minutes each.
    sova
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I have an audio CD that basically goes through the instructions of the moves and whatnot. It came with flashcards of all the poses, but I hardly need it anymore. I do a very basic form just to keep my body stretched as part of my fitness routine, I'm actually not interested in more advanced versions. I feel that I get a lot of benefit from it. Stretching is so important for your muscles, not only for reparation, but to help prevent injury as well.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    What kind of yoga are we talking about? The exercises (Hatha yoga)? There are many elements of the Hindu/yogic path, including meditation (raja yoga), devotion (bhakti yoga), right-action (karma yoga), intellectual discernment (Jnani yoga), etc.

Very similar to Buddhism, but those differences .. oh they are very major.

My mother had been a direct student of Paramahansa Yogananda back in the 1930's, so us kids were raised practicing yoga. Only later in life did I start to learn Buddhism from one of the Dalai Lama's monks.
    Buddhism, in 12 years, has created far more inner change than yoga ever did over 4 decades of practicing. Maybe others will experience the opposite results, but I can only speak from my own experience.
  • I practiced yoga for a few years from 2008 to 2011. I stopped because I was finding that I was getting busier with work and studying and I'm still trying to overcome my exhaustion every day. I will go back to it once I have my own way to deal with it.

Anyway, I tried classes and doing it myself, but I found that going to classes actually helped me more in holding the poses in the right way. I also found that doing it myself, sometimes I screwed up the counts, so going to classes helped.

My favourite would be Asthanga (sp) yoga. It is intense and also very relaxing after. I was always very energized after classes and man was I toned. The one studio that I went to also offered this class called "Drum Yoga" or something like that. We pretty much did yoga to the constant beat of the drum. It was hypnotizing and helped so much with the count.

Anyways, just wanted to share my experience. :)

Namaste. :)
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    TasiaW said:

I practiced yoga for a few years from 2008 to 2011. I stopped because I was finding that I was getting busier with work and studying and I'm still trying to overcome my exhaustion every day. I will go back to it once I have my own way to deal with it.

Anyway, I tried classes and doing it myself, but I found that going to classes actually helped me more in holding the poses in the right way. I also found that doing it myself, sometimes I screwed up the counts, so going to classes helped.

My favourite would be Asthanga (sp) yoga. It is intense and also very relaxing after. I was always very energized after classes and man was I toned. The one studio that I went to also offered this class called "Drum Yoga" or something like that. We pretty much did yoga to the constant beat of the drum. It was hypnotizing and helped so much with the count.

Anyways, just wanted to share my experience. :)

Namaste. :)

Thank you for sharing your experience @TasiaW :)

Drum yoga sounds awesome! Boom boom boom boom boom

I went to a few sessions of this yoga class called "hot and powerful flow" -- they cranked the heat up in the studio to 88-90*F and then you do yoga for about an hour with some cool music/chanting stuff on in the background. That was way excellent and helped me learn a lot of poses.

some random words: one thing I learned recently about yoga is that it's kinda like rubbing two sticks together to generate heat, you gotta keep a regular effort up to get the tremendous benefits it can provide -- so I set aside some time to do some every day, even if it's just a little bit. Always good to sow some beneficial habits ^.^
  • I will be starting again. Probably today. The last instructor I had was the Wii.
    You might be interested to know that prostrations are similar to the excellent Salutation to the Sun, in some ways . . . I also learned and taught 'Buddhist Yoga' a very dynamic system designed for martial artists
    sova
  • Use yoga to open up your hips so you can do the full lotus position!!!!
    sova
  • well I got to the mat (yogic equivalent of cushion) and did a 15 minute session, well you have to start somewhere. Vinyassa Yoga. Thought it was excellent use of the Ipad. The Buddha even turned up at one point . . . Did the daily beginner practice.
    http://lolofit.com/apps/yoga_with_janet_stone :clap:
    sovamaarten
    @lobster cool link! Neat to see that there's stuff like that on the ipad/pod
  • Iyengar Yoga off an on (sadly, mainly 'off' lately) for 12 years. My advice:

* Do it!
    * Pick a good teacher. Because you probably won't know the difference at first, I suggest starting with Iyengar because you can be guaranteed that a certified Iyengar teacher has gone through a LOT of training. Many yoga 'teachers' simply did it themselves for a year or two, then did a teaching workshop somewhere, and then call themselves a teacher. The problem is that a bad teacher can lead to bad student injuries. Yoga done well is the most amazing thing. Done poorly (or poorly supervised) it can destroy your joints for life.
    * For all the reasons just given, learn yoga in a class, not from a book or video. Otherwise there is a very high chance you will injure yourself. After you've been doing it for while a book/video can be a good reminder, but until then, just do a class.
    * It's not a race, don't worry about how bendy everyone else is, just go at your own pace and know that, if you stick to it for a while, you'll be amazed at your progress.
    * Enjoy!
    maarten
  • Do it!
    . . .
    Enjoy!
    Seems about right to me. Yesterday I did Qi-ong. really gentle stuff, from a free Ipad app.
    Did the second lolo session today. Very short, maybe 15 minutes or twenty minutes. very well paced, for beginners. The app teaches vinyasa or astanga yoga . . . a system that nearly killed me.
    This is what happened:

On the bus through South London, I would see an ashram entrance . . . always meaning to check it out . . . one fateful day I turned up. No one seemed about. Suited me. Upstairs was a temple with impressive looking photos of siddhas meditating. That must be my cue to meditate. So I did.
    Some people began turning up and I began to realise this was a rather chic yoga studio, not really a temple. I began to make excuses to leave.
    I think it was an intermediary class. I had not done yoga for years. Well somehow I was talked into staying . . . You never strain in yoga as you know. How hard could it be? Well it was astanga and it was hard.
    Doing one Sun salutation after another and then some other flow.
    The teacher was not very experienced, just fit. Never thought to ask my level of fitness or health. He very kindly decided to be my personal torturer. The end of the first section we rested in the corpse. Just as well, I was sweating, out of breath and despite the teachers best efforts to get me out of the corpse, I rested there for the rest of the session . . . feeling the need to return to non-suffering. They then over charged me for this NDE. :hair:

Anyway the lolo session is much kinder.
    :clap:
    @lobster haha, yoga as an NDE. you are living on the razor's edge of zen with an attitude like that ^ .^

A class I went to recently, the teacher is really knowledgeable. He mentioned once that if you imagine the breath (breathing in and out) as the thread of the routine, the poses are each like beads on the thread. So it was cool to view it that way, and really work from the "inside out" so-to-speak
  • @Daozen I agree with your suggestion of Iyengar and also recommend reading some of his books.

I have been fortunate to have some very good Iyengar teachers over the last few years and find it to be a very spiritual practice. It is a constant learning process and well worth the effort.

My wife has started Iyengar teacher training, which is a three year process, and one of the books on the list of required reading is "The Bhagavad Gita."
  • I'm not a yoga person. I way prefer Chi Gong. Each has their own unique benefits, but both involve meditation through movement. Anything that calms the mind and puts it in a slightly altered state is good for physical and mental health, I think, especially combined with movement.
    lobster
  • Chi kung is awesome. I love it.
    Another system which my sister does is Pilates. Bit more Western. No religion.
    @FoibleFull Hatha yoga leads to rajayoga as you know. Interestingly you can meditate in each asana. Imagine doing a 25 minute meditation using 5 asana.
    My sequence would be child, warrior, tree, bridge, corpse . . . :om:
    I have inspired myself. I am gonna try that . . .
    oceancaldera207sova
  • I think chi gong and yoga are both great too.. but I suck at yoga so bad that I became disheartened. I think maybe years of weightlifting and driving for a living have made me irreparably stiff. I was really disappointed at how inflexible i was.
  • @oceancaldera207

May I suggest that you find a good yoga teacher who can understand and help you with your particular situation. You are not "irreparably stiff" and yoga may very well be the best thing for your inflexibility.
    Daozen
  • I have seen people with arthritis and a walking stick come to yoga. Recommended by their doctors. @oceancaldera207 you are improving in yoga or chi kung from where you are, not comparing with others. We are VERY competitive in the West. Especially us macho types. When I was young my asana were very technically correct. Now I do Yoga (well just started again) . . .
  • @sova rather than yoga, we might have a 'body work' section to include healing, prostrations as an exercise routine, Qi-Ong, Buddhist martial arts, walking meditation etc
    lobster said:

@sova rather than yoga, we might have a 'body work' section to include healing, prostrations as an exercise routine, Qi-Ong, Buddhist martial arts, walking meditation etc

i like this idea ^ .^

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    You do realize that most people who practice yoga, do not do the exercises (Hatha yoga)? Yoga is essentially a spiritual/religious practice.

You do realize that most people who practice yoga, do not do the exercises (Hatha yoga)? Yoga is essentially a spiritual/religious practice.

Yes, yoga is indeed a lot more than just poses.. from what I have read much is about harnessing the inner energies ..

• lobster said:

The teacher was not very experienced, just fit. Never thought to ask my level of fitness or health. He very kindly decided to be my personal torturer.

... feeling the need to return to non-suffering.

I hear you. That's exactly why you need a good teacher, which this chap obviously wasn't.
  • Well for that class he was ideal but no not my choice . . .

My favourite teacher was a vegan friend. We did the corpse after every posture.
    When I did Chinese Yoga, we did the corpse and relaxation was automatic as the body had worked hard. Good classes do yoga Nidra, which I think leads to meditation. Every yoga class I can think of does the corpse at the end.

This morning I needed to do a Very simple beginners session. Somehow I ended up doing sit up, boat type, core work. I had to abandon the youtube session and do my own routine.

Anyone know of an uber gentle youtube vid?
  • I have managed to charge the rechargeable batteries on the wii fit board, and wii controller. Did 30 mins of Wii+ yoga. Love it.
    I used to do this and another one (Fitness coach) regularly. Got to get into it again. The Wii moves into an asana and stays there. This means you have to relax into dukkha and is more akin to older styles of hatha yoga. Brilliant.
    Good to do the shoulder stand again. I have also narrowed down the yoga on the Ipad. Lolo is dynamic and excellent. Some have let me down or too short, overly advanced even when designated for beginners etc. I have another one to try soon called 'Daily Yoga'. So many great ways of doing yoga :om:
  • Yoga is good exercise, especially for men, but I don't attribute anything particularly spiritual to it.

But there are LOADS of videos on YouTube, and some regions have yoga channels on TV or you can pick up DVDs pretty much anywhere these days. They even sell yoga mats in the bookstores :screwy: :lol
    I think if you make it a very regular practice, it can take on a spiritual practice. If you don't do it often, or are still fairly new, it's still very difficult to keep your technique and alignment etc. Especially if you are trying to learn it on your own. But once you are in a routine, you flow through it and it takes on a more spiritual way. Like meditation, when you first start it can take so long to start to quiet the mind and sometimes it is so difficult. I remember having to sit for 5 whole minutes and thinking "OMG aren't we done yet!?" It was horrendous, lol. But now I can sit for as long as I want and get into the "zone" much faster most of the time. Yoga is much the same, for me at least. It took longer to find any sort of zone because I was always falling over :)
    anything that you do with mindfullness can be spiritual... eating a granola bar can be spiritual.... of course, accessing dormant energies and bringin them to the surface (thats what yoga is really doing), can be plenty spiritual... drawing a 'spiritual' line in the sand seems uneccesarily limiting
  • I think you can like, make it spiritual, the same way you can make going for a jog spiritual, but I don't think there is anything intrinsically spiritual about it.
    what is intrinsically spiritual then? prayer? is that much different than yoga? I think you are classifying things in a very narrow way and that may lead to unecesarry suffering... maybe you should 'stretch' it out. pun intended. :)
    I think anything can be spiritual with the right intentions, and even the most "spiritual" of practices can be severely lacking without the right intentions. I felt absolutely nothing spiritual about being in church when I have gone in the past, yet so many people do. I feel spiritual being with my Sangha, whereas Christians would likely have no spiritual experience there. I don't think anything is intrinsically spiritual.
    RebeccaS
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited November 2012
    I would say prayer is different from yoga, yeah.

I'm not saying it can't be spiritual, but I do think people ascribe a lot of things to yoga that simply aren't there. I watched a movie about it once, too. There was this chick (she was just so irritating) who felt that yoga was like this, life changer, so she followed this guy who started a regular yoga practice for the first time. He was a cool guy, not pretentious, had no idea about spirituality really which made him really open and honest about his experiences, and he was like, I feel fitter, but no more spiritual. She got really mad at him :lol: but he basically expressed through his experience how I also see yoga. There's nothing really spiritual about it... Unless you want there to be.

I would qualify things like prayer, chanting, meditation.., that kind of thing to be intrinsically spiritual.

That doesn't mean other things can't be spiritual, too, I just don't think yoga is at the same sort of level as things like prayer.
    just like prayer... or love... or thursday... or cathedrals... or jogging... spirituality isn't some 'fact' out there waiting to be discovered. it's a human invention, a choice. its an action, not a noun, really. believing that a place or a thing is spiritual is problematic for the observer because they can't prove it's spirutual beyond faith or when they are not observing it ... the same for an action. you may have chosen to view yoga as merely exercise, but whatever energy you put into something is precisely what you get out of it. and forming an opibion based on a sample size of one (the man in the movie that you referenced) is irresponsible and shouldnt satisfy your curiousity. experience should do that.
    But for me, I could say a prayer and it wouldn't mean a thing to me. Praying without the intention behind it is no different than any other words. You might say "well why would a person pray without intention" but that is what I did all the years I was in church, because my parents forced me to participate. Eating ice cream was more spiritual to me than forced prayer, lol. I think it's just that most people who go into those things, prayer, meditation etc are entering into them with a spiritual intention. But they most certainly can be done without it. Lots of people meditate just for the mental/emotional benefits and not for spiritual reasons at all. Just like people practice yoga for health and fitness but not spirituality. But those going into it from a spiritual point of view are obviously more likely to experience it that way. I put them on the same level, because just in my personal experience the intention is what matters. Yoga is definitely more spiritual for me than prayer, or chanting which I don't particularly enjoy. But that is because I expect it to be and I go into yoga intending to have that experience.
    lobster
  • @thebeejabides I've done yoga before. I quite enjoyed it. But it wasn't spiritual for me, not in the way prayer is. It was just an interesting, quite challenging workout. And I think some things and places simply are spiritual, regardless of how we view them (which is a matter of perception, not truth) places like cathedrals for example.

@karasti I agree with you to a point, but I think there are degrees to which a spiritual practice is beneficial. They all have their place, but they're not all equal.

This might be of interest. It's a comedy site, but you can go into their forums and have a look at all the references and where they got their information from if you like to fact check.
    @RebeccaS I agree with that. Yoga is not nearly as beneficial (to me) as meditation, though perhaps it is different for others. I find a lot of spirituality in the area I live in, in the outdoors. Not in cathedrals though. I do think the perception is very different for everyone depending what makes them feel at peace. But I do agree that different things benefit to a different degree.
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited November 2012
    I agree with that. For some people, the quiet countryside is peaceful and others can't get to sleep without street noise :lol: But I still say cathedrals are spiritual places by virtue of what they are, regardless of how we feel about them. Positive things and places benefit us, regardless of how we feel about them and negative things hurt us, regardless of how we feel about them.

Like, crime feels good to a criminal, you know? :lol: It doesn't mean it's doing him any favors. And recovery from addiction can be painful and terrifying, but it doesn't mean it's not good for us.

I think that sometimes, going on how we feel about things doesn't lead us to the truth. That's not to negate the importance of intuition, it's just I think that we have to learn to discern the difference.

And I have nothing against yoga by the way, I just don't think it's the magical, mystical cure all that some people (yoga teachers, mostly lol) would like us to believe it is.
    maarten
    What if something horrible happened to someone at a church or a cathedral? Would that place still be a positive place for the person despite what happened to them there? I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything, I find what you said interesting and overall I agree. I'm just curious on your thoughts. If someone is abused at a church, for example, is the church still a positive place(for that person) even though the person has negative feelings associated with it? I know places like that for me still hold negative feelings, but I'm not sure if that's because just of what I experienced, or because the value of that place changed due to what happened there.

I don't have anything as horrible as abuse to compare to, but for example, my sister was run over by a car when we were kids. We still live on the same street, and every day I have to walk by the place where she was laying, and where her blood pooled and where her shoes lay in the street, and I picture it and associate negative feelings with that place. Is it just my perception? Or can the energy around a place change when something bad happens there?
  • You know... I've never thought about it.

I would say that the street remains pretty neutral and that the cathedral would remain a holy place because what the street is and what the cathedral is aren't really related to what happened there.

Is Normandy any different because of what happened there? I would again say no.

But Auschwitz would be a very negative place because it's purpose was so awful.

I think something like that could and would affect the perception of the individual, but I don't think it affects whatever the place or thing itself is.

It kind of makes me think of superstition. Like, you wouldn't live in a murder house even if the building was sound and the price was good. The house itself was in no way affected, it doesn't change it, but our perceptions and associations change.

That's just like... Me thinking out loud. I might change my mind on it :)
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    How signifcant is yoga to buddhism? I have tried some of it but I don't normaly practice it.