Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sex in America

Comments

• edited July 2006
    federica wrote:
    You guys.....
    Weird doesn't cover it..... Moderation is utterly useless.....!!:grin:

Buddhism is a Path that succeeds when driven to its extremes.

To me, that explains the whole thread, but it doesn't explain how a Lama has apparently equated sex with hell. This thread did start out being about sex, no?

Namely and to wit, you can moderate this by calling it what it is: OT.
  • edited July 2006
    Wow some 6 new pages and I was only gone a week! Anyway, I pretty much have decided that abstinence just ain't gunna be my bag like the private school would like. Now I have not acted upon this yet as I would like..

The major reasons may be because I have goofy glasses, I'm a Star Wars junkie, the marching band, sheltered household, no girlfriend, geeky, and no money. Yet I am obsessed with the show Nip/Tuck.

I look forward to college because it presents itself a certain amount of freedom.

Let's just say that the only 'dance' I ever do is the 5-Knuckle Shuffle! hehe
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Wow some 6 new pages and I was only gone a week! Anyway, I pretty much have decided that abstinence just ain't gunna be my bag like the private school would like. Now I have not acted upon this yet as I would like..

The major reasons may be because I have goofy glasses, I'm a Star Wars junkie, the marching band, sheltered household, no girlfriend, geeky, and no money. Yet I am obsessed with the show Nip/Tuck.

I look forward to college because it presents itself a certain amount of freedom.

Let's just say that the only 'dance' I ever do is the 5-Knuckle Shuffle! hehe

Dearest Knight,

I, too, beleived that I was unattractive to those who attracted me. Then I discovered that our 'look' is a product and, as such, can be manipulated. Glasses, for example: designer lenses, contacts, all sorts of possibilities (my own were like bottle-bases when I was small). Hair: this can be cut and styled. Regularly-washed hair is a "crowning glory".

Your 'look' is under your control: go for it!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2006
    Oh, and by the way, good Sir Knight, if you think you're a little on the geeky side you may be interested in knowing that the smartest, prettiest and most loving girls are almost always attracted to the geeks, secretly or not. I know, I went to an all girls school and tons of my friends were into geeks. I, of course, went for the GQ guys, but I was an idiot.
  • edited July 2006
    I'm in a relationship with a very geeky guy who has goofy glasses and incurably messy hair (though I suppose it might be managable with products but I don't like hair products at all so I wouldn't want him to use them either :P besides, who'd want to touch hair fully of messy, sticky stuff). I don't care about that stuff, I care that he's sweet and funny and that we can talk.

I have "weird" and unpopular views on sexuality, so it's probably best not to say too much about that, but I find the idea that someone other than the person I'm with would find me "attractive", "hot", or "sexy" (which are all different from beautiful or cute or anything in that area) incredibly offensive, disturbing, violating, and disgusting. I know I can't control what goes on in someone elses mind, but I still find it disturbing, and this has a lot to do with why I haven't really made an effort to lose the extra weight or exercise to be fit.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I've only read the first post and this thread is very old, but wow, America must be very different to the UK. We have The Sex Education Show, sex education is primary schools, we give condoms to teens, it's used in every day language. We're sex obsessed :D LOL
    edited September 2010
    buddhafoot wrote: »
    Dude,

I already know I'm going to Hell.

In fact, I'm driving the bus down there.

I'll make sure to save you a seat right behind me!

Ninety-nine hot pitch-forks rammed in my bum, Ninety-nine hot pitch-forks. Take one down, ram it around, Ninety-eight hot pitch-forks rammed in my bum...

-bf

I laughed for about two hours reading that
    edited September 2010
    keithg wrote: »
    When I was younger, I used to spend most of my time at my grandparents house. They took care of me. In that environment somehow or another I got the idea that sex was a bad thing. I asked my mother around 4th-5th grade (I was a year older than everyone in my class) and got the information, then went about my life. I really think that children should be educated at a younger age (more like 10-11), we tell them that they shouldn't let strangers touch them in places, but we give no reason as to why. It's also probably better for them to know what it is before they hit puberty.

The first time I got any education in school was in 7th grade. They told us everything, and gave us plenty of time to ask questions about things. We were tested on identifying parts of the sexual organs, and their functions. It seems as though, that now at least the education is doing well, they talked about AIDS, HIV, STDs. They covered abstinence, condoms, contraceptives. They didn't however cover homosexuality. I wasn't able to attend most classes in 8th grade due to a sleeping disorder, which was apparently when they covered those topics.
    In the UK homosexuality is discussed in seventh grade.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited September 2010
    People here are becoming more relaxed about sex. It's the older generation and the christians that are uptight.
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I remember when my high school in NZ first introduced sex ed.1974 and wow was there a stink about it.Funny though because my HS had the highest pregnancy rate in the entire auckland area.A long and proud tradition that I aimed to hold up.Like all 13 year old boys I was dying to get some.
    What really annoyed my mother about the whole thing was that I scored the highest in my sex ed exams,98%(I think I spelled my name wrong,so got deducted 2%)he he.
    What annoyed me was it was all theory and no practical,and my GF held out for good few months.
    I agree with what some others say about parents needing to play a greater role in sex ed.
    The advice my dad gave me-Never give them your real name or tell them your address.Cheaper than condoms I guess
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Nickydoodle, Americans are very sexually repressed. That is why we have such horrendous sexual problems here. As CI pointed out, it's mostly the older generations and the Xians who are to blame, but they're the ones in control of the education system, so everyone suffers. I also think that parents should be the ones giving their little darlings the news about sex. I remember asking my parents questions at that age and getting no response. It really screwed me up. It's actually child neglect I would say because that's a parental responsibility that so many people just ignore or assume somebody else - schools? churches?(!) friends? who exactly? - will take care of, or maybe they just think (or wish) that their little "innocents" are sexless (HA!). Anyway, it's a very big mistake to ignore this vital need and is a gutless act on the part of the parents. But as a psychologist I once knew said, the only people who shouldn't have kids are parents!

Palzang
  • edited September 2010
    When my mum sat me down to talk to me about it at the tender age of single digits, I was pretty much like "Yup. Know that. Uhuh." She even pulled out the medical diagrams, and I could pronounce the parts correctly, and even named some of the ones not in the book.

Those were the innocent days, lol.
  • edited September 2010
    Gecko wrote: »
    I was pretty much like "Yup. Know that. Uhuh." She even pulled out the medical diagrams

ahh i see you were like me and used the internet at a very young age! hahaha
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Tsk, tsk, tsk!

Palzang
  • edited September 2010
    I live in the bible belt of the south. I think the problem here stems from peoples inabilities to think about problems, instead they are told to follow a rule. We are taught from our Christian parents not to have sex. That is basically the same thing as ignoring the problem. I know for a fact I will teach my children about sex from a very early age, it is a very natural thing, I do not consider it taboo at all. Considering something that feels so good and is so vital to our lives as taboo is a huge mistake.

My friend who is a psychologist mentioned to me recently that many of the adults sexual addictions and.. well very weird things she told me that people have to cope with stem from their parents.

Action begins with us, with everyone, we are no longer the generation of taboo's, we need to teach our children the uncomfortable truths that our parents neglected to tell us. I strongly recommend not leaving this issue to the school systems, they can not to the job of a parent.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I think if sex is no longer seen as a taboo but rather a natural thing (all non-exploitative types of sexual activity), then I think there would be far fewer under-age pregnancies, sexuality-based violence, etc.
    edited October 2010
    goingforth wrote: »
    I remember when my high school in NZ first introduced sex ed.1974 and wow was there a stink about it.Funny though because my HS had the highest pregnancy rate in the entire auckland area.A long and proud tradition that I aimed to hold up.Like all 13 year old boys I was dying to get some.
    What really annoyed my mother about the whole thing was that I scored the highest in my sex ed exams,98%(I think I spelled my name wrong,so got deducted 2%)he he.
    What annoyed me was it was all theory and no practical,and my GF held out for good few months.
    I agree with what some others say about parents needing to play a greater role in sex ed.
    The advice my dad gave me-Never give them your real name or tell them your address.Cheaper than condoms I guess

Cheaper than condoms? *itch itch*
    edited October 2010
    When my mum sat me down to talk to me about it at the tender age of single digits, I was pretty much like "Yup. Know that. Uhuh." She even pulled out the medical diagrams, and I could pronounce the parts correctly, and even named some of the ones not in the book.

Those were the innocent days, lol.

When I was six me and Dad found a packet of something of mummy's. Dad said he didn't know what a va...gi...na was. Yehright. :lol:
    edited October 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    Tsk, tsk, tsk!

Palzang

You can't stop us Mwahaha :p
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited October 2010
    OMG that is _THE_ funniest f**king thing I've heard for a while. I roared laughing at my desk (I'm at work) and now all my co workers think I'm on drugs :lol:
    buddhafoot wrote: »
    Dude,

I already know I'm going to Hell.

In fact, I'm driving the bus down there.

I'll make sure to save you a seat right behind me!

Ninety-nine hot pitch-forks rammed in my bum, Ninety-nine hot pitch-forks. Take one down, ram it around, Ninety-eight hot pitch-forks rammed in my bum...

-bf
    edited October 2010
    OMG that is _THE_ funniest f**king thing I've heard for a while. I roared laughing at my desk (I'm at work) and now all my co workers think I'm on drugs :lol:
    Careful not to spill any sugar and try and suck it up with a straw through your nose now...
  • edited October 2010
    Actually, I was aware of sex from a very young age. But my knowledge wasn't through "practical-based internet research", it was through serious scientific learning :D (nerd!)
  • edited October 2010
    Pitchforks, pineapples, what's the difference? :D
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Actually, I was aware of sex from a very young age. But my knowledge wasn't through "practical-based internet research", it was through serious scientific learning :D (nerd!)

And what was this "serious scientific learning's" name? :lol:

Palzang
    edited October 2010
    Pitchforks, pineapples, what's the difference? :D

Pineapples!? :eek: You do meet some weird people on the internet :lol:
    edited October 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    And what was this "serious scientific learning's" name? :lol:

Palzang

Ask Peter Oliver Ryan Nymph
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited October 2010

You mean you went to boarding school? :p

In metta,
    Raven
  • shadowleavershadowleaver Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I think sex is over-emphasized in America. Movies without a sex scene have become rareties. A huge percentage of advertisement and commercials center around sex-appeal. Even buying groceries involves waiting by a tabloid magazine stand with "how to have great sex" advice.

I don't think the information is hidden either. Google sex+pregnancy+std and voila-- the basic facts are right before you. There is political contraversy about what to teach teenagers in schools regarding the matter. But be that as it may, ultimately it is the family's job to educate the kids about sex and I don't think anyone's interfering with what's being said at home.

Of course, I'm in the liberal coastal California. Maybe down in the Bible Belt things are looking a bit different. Christian attitude to sex, in my opinion, can be unnatural and unhealthy. But at least where I am, one has full freedom to not subscribe to it.
  • edited October 2010
    I can't even believe, a bunch of Buddhists and the things said on this post!! :D No, I'm not one to talk, hahahahahaha.

Anyway, it's when we don't name things that they have all their power. Like Rumpelstiltskin. If it wasn't taboo, it wouldn't have to be such a big problem. In fact, I will be blunt. I've been in the middle of sex before, and all of a sudden gotten a blast of perspective. There we were, all worked up over something so small, and looking extremely silly in the process. Bam, there went the sex drive. (Probably wasn't the best for my boyfriend's self esteem...haha.) It's just what it's like. It's what everything is like. Once you look at it for what it really is, it can't control you anymore. I think we should encourage kids to try it, if they are safe. And I ESPECIALLY don't think masturbation should be as taboo as it is. I mean, come on people, you aren't going to get pregnant or get an STD, and it's a terrific way to explore those new sexual feelings. Frankly, I even sometimes use it as a kind of meditation practice, just like meditating on pain. It's extremely interesting.

Welp, enough about that. I'm not going to say I've sworn off sex. I just...don't really care either way...it won't bring me happiness.
    edited October 2010
    I think sex is over-emphasized in America. Movies without a sex scene have become rareties. A huge percentage of advertisement and commercials center around sex-appeal. Even buying groceries involves waiting by a tabloid magazine stand with "how to have great sex" advice.

I don't think the information is hidden either. Google sex+pregnancy+std and voila-- the basic facts are right before you. There is political contraversy about what to teach teenagers in schools regarding the matter. But be that as it may, ultimately it is the family's job to educate the kids about sex and I don't think anyone's interfering with what's being said at home.

Of course, I'm in the liberal coastal California. Maybe down in the Bible Belt things are looking a bit different. Christian attitude to sex, in my opinion, can be unnatural and unhealthy. But at least where I am, one has full freedom to not subscribe to it.

But sex is one of the most natural things, why hide it? And sex ed. at school can teach you the facts, contrary to what your parents may believe.
    edited October 2010
    Cristina wrote: »
    I can't even believe, a bunch of Buddhists and the things said on this post!! :D No, I'm not one to talk, hahahahahaha.

Anyway, it's when we don't name things that they have all their power. Like Rumpelstiltskin. If it wasn't taboo, it wouldn't have to be such a big problem. In fact, I will be blunt. I've been in the middle of sex before, and all of a sudden gotten a blast of perspective. There we were, all worked up over something so small, and looking extremely silly in the process. Bam, there went the sex drive. (Probably wasn't the best for my boyfriend's self esteem...haha.) It's just what it's like. It's what everything is like. Once you look at it for what it really is, it can't control you anymore. I think we should encourage kids to try it, if they are safe. And I ESPECIALLY don't think masturbation should be as taboo as it is. I mean, come on people, you aren't going to get pregnant or get an STD, and it's a terrific way to explore those new sexual feelings. Frankly, I even sometimes use it as a kind of meditation practice, just like meditating on pain. It's extremely interesting.

Welp, enough about that. I'm not going to say I've sworn off sex. I just...don't really care either way...it won't bring me happiness.

Meditation sex!? :wtf: :p
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Every time I see the title of this thread, I am reminded of a great few nights' stand in Oklahoma City - sex in America indeed!
    edited October 2010
    Every time I see the title of this thread, I am reminded of a great few nights' stand in Oklahoma City - sex in America indeed!

LOL
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Oh, lordy, Simon you have hit a new low! I mean, Oklahoma City!?! :D

Palzang
  • edited October 2010
    Personally I couldnt really imagine the Buddha masturbating ? Did he ?Is it mentioned in the suttras?
  • edited October 2010
    I'm sorry Knight of Buddha. These are signs of the times. When I was a teen in American schools in the Bush Sr and Clinton years, we were given pretty good sex ed. We were taught the basics about reproduction and how the male and female systems work. Then we were taught about STDs and HIV. Then we were taught about contraceptives and how to get them. We did this in middle school and then again in high school in our health classes. On top of this, we were once given condoms and cucumbers and allowed to practice how to apply it- pinching the top, rolling it down, etc.

So these problems in America are new. They were not there when I was a kid. I think that in the media, with the internet and cable all the time, we hear MORE about sex now than we did when I was a kid. SO I think it is a dangerous combination- media full of sex all the time and kids without any sex ed. Yikes.
    edited October 2010
    I'm sorry Knight of Buddha. These are signs of the times. When I was a teen in American schools in the Bush Sr and Clinton years, we were given pretty good sex ed. We were taught the basics about reproduction and how the male and female systems work. Then we were taught about STDs and HIV. Then we were taught about contraceptives and how to get them. We did this in middle school and then again in high school in our health classes. On top of this, we were once given condoms and cucumbers and allowed to practice how to apply it- pinching the top, rolling it down, etc.

So these problems in America are new. They were not there when I was a kid. I think that in the media, with the internet and cable all the time, we hear MORE about sex now than we did when I was a kid. SO I think it is a dangerous combination- media full of sex all the time and kids without any sex ed. Yikes.
    Cucumbers? We get wooden models LOL :D
  • edited October 2010
    They gave us plastic frogs to keep with us always so when temptation would arise, we could look at the frog and remember what we learned in abstinence class taught by a 70 year old lady.
    lol I think I had the same sex ed class. I remember the frog. There were "sex can wait" shoelaces too, in which everyone used a sharpie to add an "'t" to the end of the second word. :lol:

You may be in luck when you start college. "Geek" seems to be the new "jock." You can't sit in the gamer's lounge at my college for 5 minutes without seeing girls desperately trying to get the geeky guys' attention. (I have to say, I quite enjoy it when the guys seem more interested in their card games or video games to notice!) Granted, you can tell most of the girls have no idea what they're talking about when they start going on about whatever sci-fi show or video game the guys they're talking to like, but it's something...

Anyway, with regard to the original intent of this thread, to me it seems like we talk about sex too much in America. We still don't discuss sex in a realistic way with kids, but in general, American adults and teenagers don't seem to want to discuss much else. :-/
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    sex, in America?? REALLY! :O well I never! I would have never thought, ASTONISHED
    edited October 2010
    Did you know Americans, on average, do 'it' for seven minutes while us Europeans *coughs proudly* on an average are at it for fourteen minutes :p
    edited October 2010
    lmao, I did not jelly bean no. Did you know mr young bean that on AVERAGE, the male mature penis of an American is 5 inches and that of a brit 6 inches??
    edited October 2010
    Us Europeans are so minted :p
    edited October 2010
    On an unrelated note I'm creating my own nation on this game I've found on the internet, I'm calling myself King Milky (my friends call me Milky Joe :lol:) and the country will be called...
    edited October 2010
    Milken
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I think you're milken it for all it's worth!

Palzang
    edited October 2010
    hahahaha, milkey joe, did you guys get that from the mighty boosh old bean??
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    Did you know Americans, on average, do 'it' for seven minutes while us Europeans *coughs proudly* on an average are at it for fourteen minutes :p
    So now you british want to call yourselves european.
    Any other time it is "we are not european we are british."
    edited October 2010
    I personally have always considered myself to be European seeing as half of my family is from Germany. I was brought up to think a little differently from most UK citizens thankfully.
    edited October 2010
    hahahaha, milkey joe, did you guys get that from the mighty boosh old bean??

Mayyyybe :o
    edited October 2010
    nanadhaja wrote: »
    So now you british want to call yourselves european.
    Any other time it is "we are not european we are british."

Britain is in Northern Europe, look it up :p Anyway, I'm a European born and bred, around my village some people (including moi) who have always lived here back through the generations are descended from the Dutch.