Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sex in America

Comments

• Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, well, my dad said that if he had to live in a different country he quite liked America. He said there's nothing you can't do. Not my cup of tea though, though I might like Canada.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    :hrm: She also mentioned, last lesson, on same-sex soul mates, which she dismissed as "good friends", rather than partners.

What age-group was this for, BTW?
    edited November 2010
    Year 8, which is 12-13.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, well, my dad said that if he had to live in a different country he quite liked America. He said there's nothing you can't do. Not my cup of tea though, though I might like Canada.

Canada definitely has its advantages, but in some ways it's more conservative than the US. I don't know what the policy/practice is toward gays there, do you? Free health care, though. Canada tends to be very repressive toward aboriginal people, though.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Year 8, which is 12-13.
    By that age, they should be able to handle a bit more than babies dropping from the sky, and same-sex couples as "friends". One shudders to think what any closeted gay kids may've thought who heard that presentation. *sigh* :(
    edited November 2010
    Dakini wrote: »
    Canada definitely has its advantages, but in some ways it's more conservative than the US. I don't know what the policy/practice is toward gays there, do you? Free health care, though. Canada tends to be very repressive toward aboriginal people, though.

Really? And full rights.
    edited November 2010
    By that age, they should be able to handle a bit more than babies dropping from the sky, and same-sex couples as "friends". One shudders to think what any closeted gay kids may've thought who heard that presentation. *sigh* :(

Indeed, I have a bisexual friend.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Just a brief note on the equality of all people:

the American revolutionaries took the notion (and accepted it as a self-evident truth - without evidence) from the French, in particular Jean-Jacques Rousseau:
    "Man is or was born free, and he is everywhere in chains. One man thinks himself the master of others, but remains more of a slave than they" (Du Contrat Social 1762)

The moving spirit of the American came from this sentimental European philosophy, originating in Scotland as a reaction to Hobbes. The French, obsessed at the time with British thought (called anglomanie), developed a new republicanism to which the American revolutionaries subscribed, whilst, at the same time, rejecting Rousseau's central belief that human equality was corrupted as soon as one person asserted 'ownership' of property.
    edited November 2010
    The human race in a nutshell ;)
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited November 2010
    There should be a huge sex conga line, the world record of sexual conga! Who is with me? LETS ALL DO THE CONGA, AY!!
    edited November 2010
    Let's all do the CONGA! Let's all do the CONGA! The sex-oo-al CONGA! Let's all do sexy CONGA! Sexy, sexy CONGA! Let's all do the CONGA!
    edited November 2010
    conga1.png
    edited November 2010
    i_want_you_inside_me.png
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Well, let me tell you :rant: Nah, soz, I just automatically want to have a go at America :confused::o But I have many wonderful American friends on here, and it's supposed to be a very nice place to live?

It can be. It'd be a wonderful place to live were it not for the social injustice, the intolerance, the disposable culture and the worship of cut-throat capitalism.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2010
    And the world would be a great place to live if only it wasn't for that darn samsara!

Palzang
    edited November 2010
    Takeahnase wrote: »
    It can be. It'd be a wonderful place to live were it not for the social injustice, the intolerance, the disposable culture and the worship of cut-throat capitalism.

So... it isn't?
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited November 2010
    So... it isn't?

A nice place to live? Yeah, it can be. Maybe not great, but nice at least.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2010
    It is if you have economic security, and if you're in good health. Europe, including the UK, has much better medical education and better medical care. The US is going down the tubes, economically, and rescuing it is difficult, because G.W. Bush trashed the economy already, so there was no basis from which to launch a recovery. But if you have a good, steady job, it's a nice place to live.
    edited December 2010
    I had several dreams last night and one of them now makes me want to move to a country where my York/Lincolnshire accent is considered sexy :lol:

In General Studies miss was showing us a video about relationships in young children at a secondary school. Afterwards, Megan, a girl I never particularly liked but now have a little more respect for, told miss that the video did not portray, correctly, relationships between secondary school kids because it entirely disregarded same-sex relationships. Miss seemed to get a little uncomfortable and said, "well they're only children... I mean... they can be, but... they're just children" lol :rolleyes: Can't have innocent little children having devilish perverse feelings :p
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    At least someone spoke up. Just a note of clarification: "young" children in secondary school? Secondary school students are teens, aren't they? So they're more or less young adults. I hope "Miss" doesn't have kids of her own, or she's in for a rude awakening (or her kids are in for a tough time when they get a little older). Though it's true, kids do mature at different rates; some don't start having relationships until university age or later. Anyway, at least now you know that if you speak up, you'll have an ally. :)
    edited December 2010
    Indeed :D
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    P.S. It's true; Yank women do like guys with foreign accents. Study computer programming and other tech business, and Bill Gates will hire you. The technology sector is importing a lot of foreign expertise on work visas.
    edited December 2010
    In my dream my friends that are girls were American and I suddenly found my British accent was slightly posh-sounding and then wondered if it could be viewed as sexy :lol:.
  • finding0finding0 Veteran
    edited December 2010
    sex is only penitration and ejaculation if you make it that way. look into something called tantric sex.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I had several dreams last night and one of them now makes me want to move to a country where my York/Lincolnshire accent is considered sexy :lol:
    Is there really such a place!? ;)

Palzang
    edited December 2010
    finding0 wrote: »
    sex is only penitration and ejaculation if you make it that way. look into something called tantric sex.

I will :D
    edited December 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    Is there really such a place!? ;)

Palzang

*super glare* I'll have you know I attract the attention of many a fat girl, acne-ridden teenager and creepy man-in-car :cool:
    edited December 2010
    Why right now I'm dancing to a alvin and the chipmunks version of the macerana, excellent and fun way to keep fit and crazy
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Luv, I have a nice, slightly subversive idea for your "General Studies" Miss. See what you think. (What class are you in, anyway?) You could ask Miss if you could do a little research project for extra credit, and present your results to the class as an oral report. The subject (as far as Miss is concerned) would be comparative "health" statistics between UK and US teens. Hopefully, she won't ask in detail, nor ask you to submit an outline.

Here's what you do: you can easily find statistics online (I just tried, and it is, indeed, easy) as to the percentage of sexually-active secondary school-age children in each country. You could find pregnancy rates, maybe even rates of contraceptive use. Then, last but by no means least, you could present the percentage of teens in each country that have identified as gay. That should give Miss a wake-up-call. Have fun ;)

If you're nervous speaking in class, you can practice in advance with friends. Borrow a classroom after school, or set up a proxy classroom in your room at home. Stand in front, like the teacher, and read through your report a couple of times. This not only helps put you at ease, but will tell you how long your report is. You can add a little to it or subtract, as need be. And your friends can give you feedback.

You could probably find reports online that analyze abstinence education and declare it worthless, if you want to go the extra mile. And hopefully Miss won't shut you down in the middle of giving your report. Still, it'll make for a wild class period, and may go down in history among your classmates.
    edited December 2010
    I may be outspoken, but in a room full of people focused on me I'd just fail :-/. When we have to do power points about bullying I always include sexism, racism and homophobia though. I think quite a few people have varying degrees of 'tolerance'- well, they must do, because the majority obviously agree with gay adoption and civil unions and anti-discrimination, because well, in England it's legal. I think it would be very, very interesting to see how pupils would answer an anonymous question sheet of to what extent of homosexuality they would legalise, be it they have power to make the law- be it from merely il/legalised to full rights.
    edited December 2010
    P.S. General Studies is what we call something like "P.S.H.E" which stand for "Physical, Social and Health Education".
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    That's what I gathered. What year are you in, in Secondary School?

Well, you'd be sursprised how much it helps to practice in advance with a few friends. But if that's too intimidating, maybe you could invite that outspoken girl to share the project with you, so it would be two of you facing the crowd. Or, alternatively, you could prepare the questionnaire you mentioned, circulate it, and write up a report on the basis of that, and turn it in as a written report.

Oh well. It was just a thought.

I found that in school, I wasn't able to stand up in front of the class and do well at all, but that's because I had no serious interest in any of the subject matter, for one thing. And my classmates weren't the friendliest, most supportive types. But long after school, when I found a cause I believed in, I had no trouble speaking to crowds of strangers. If you have the power of your convictions behind you, it's easier, somehow; one acquires a sense of mission, and all one can think of is spreading the important information one has to share. One becomes moved by the cause one has devoted oneself to, and one finds a strength one didn't know one had. Maybe you'll find your voice as you move up in school :)
    edited December 2010
    My second year :)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Only 2-1//2 years left, and you're FREE! have you thought about what you want to do afterwards?
    edited December 2010
    3-4 years, actually. I'm definitely going to be an author, but I'd like another job too. Something to do with nature and science.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    The publishing biz is hard to break into; even well-known authors have had a hard time. I don't know how it is in the UK, but here publishing is dominated by large German corporations. There are always small publishing houses focussed on certain topics (this might work for you, if your topic would be sexuality), and there are university presses as well, who are independent of the corporate publishing scene.

will you be able to go to university?
    edited December 2010
    I know publishing is hard :-/ I was thinking more fiction though, intended for kids my age.
    edited December 2010
    Yes, I imagine I will be able to go to university, money allowing. I'm in top set for all subjects.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Good for you, Luv! And after you graduate from university, you might be able to move to Canada; Canada takes people from all over the Commonwealth. Canada is just as nice, if not nicer in some ways, than the US. And you could always drop down and visit us Yanks, from time to time. We'd be right next door. You could holiday on California beaches and check out the California babes. Take up surfing.
    edited December 2010
    I'm interested in so many countries all over the world, I don't know where I want to live. I've considered Canada and America and Africa and Israel, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Britain, Germany, Sweden, Norway, France, Spain, there's just so many places!
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Oh. I mentioned Canada because you said earlier you were interested in Canada. And it would be easier to get a work or immigrant visa for Canada than the US. Maybe after university you can travel around and decide where you want to settle down.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I will :D

No you're not! Go to your room! Oh wait, you're in your room... Er, go outside...or something!

Palzang
    edited December 2010
    Oh. I mentioned Canada because you said earlier you were interested in Canada. And it would be easier to get a work or immigrant visa for Canada than the US. Maybe after university you can travel around and decide where you want to settle down.

Is my plan :D If I became an author it would be great to travel the world and find inspiration. A certain author wrote several books while sat in these basket-like things on the wealthy German coast of Somethingsburg
    edited December 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    No you're not! Go to your room! Oh wait, you're in your room... Er, go outside...or something!

Palzang

But it's snowy :bawling: I'm gunna go and look it up right now :p
    edited December 2010
    Wow! It's- it's- beautiful
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Wow! It's- it's- beautiful

Good research job, Luv! Sacred sex is something the Christian set probably thinks is an oxymoron, but actually, history shows most organized religions had that at one point or another. But it's not something to be undertaken casually; years of meditation, specific physical exercises and spiritual education go into it. I've heard some people say it's not worth all the effort, it's too much work. Others say the bliss is well worth the effort. But it has to be undertaken with the right attitude, as a spiritual practice, otherwise it doesn't give the benefits.

...I wonder what "Miss" would have to say about all that! ;)

Carry on, young chum.
    edited December 2010
    I t'wonder :D There's definitely different types of "sex". There's sex, then there's sex
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    May I ask what it is you read, your source, that made such a good impression on you?
    edited December 2010
    Dunno... Just this thing that had four tips on how to do tantra.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Well, whoever wrote the info you read must've done a good job of boiling down tantra into such an inspiring nutshell. I'm impressed.