Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do We All Become Elightened - Eventually?

2»

Comments

• Its been an interesting couple of weeks..Goodbye and thanks to all. May all find peace and the end of suffering. Time for me to head back to D.C. territory.
    Namaste, many bows, ..
  • lobster said:

At the moment we need Dharma, because all of us are little more than monkeys.

It would be nice to think that one day we could be more than monkeys, but I'm not holding my breath. ;)
    Personally I aspire to being a monkey, at the moment I think way too much about what I should and shouldn't be doing rather than just getting on with life and enjoying the moment.

FullCircle
  • Do we all become enlightened eventually?

Perhaps, but how far into the future would that be? Why not focus on the present?
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Citta said:

Citta said:

The ultimate cause of Dukkha is Anicca and Anatta.

I thought it was ignorance?
    Yes, but not ignorance in abstract. Ignorance of the causes of Dukkha which are clinging to that which by nature is constantly changing, and ignorance of the fact that we have no unchanging element. The ignorance which commences D.O. has no inherent existance.

Yes, I was thinking of ignorance in terms of dependent origination.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Citta said:

Time for me to head back to D.C. territory.

What is D.C. territory? Another realm?
    ;)
  • Citta said:

;)

the Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche.

metta...C.
  • Citta don't you dare leave; songhill throws around words like heretical and evil as if they were toffees. No need to get one's teeth stuck in them.
    vinlynVastmind
  • Well its nice to feel wanted PrairieGhost, but I have bad memories of misanthropy thinly disguised as Buddhadharma on the old E Sangha. ( shudder ).
    There a dilemma inherent in an open forum like this ..does one fight fires ? Or ignore ?
    If one ignores is there a possibility that someone new to all this will form the view that Buddhism teaches a schizoid split in being ? That the other skandhas are neutral but that rupa is " evil "?
    Because that is a recipe for a never to be resolved conflicted state..a conflicted state that signals itself by misanthropy and paranoia...and is far from the Dharma of the Buddha.
    So..it is much easier to restrict ones online contribution to forae where the membership have resolved that kind of conflictedness.
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I'm not wise enough yet to shout at people. Until I am, if ever, I want to do my best to light the candles rather than cursing the darkness.

But it might be good to ask Songhill what he thinks. Songhill? Can this be resolved?
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    If all become enlightened, the word will lose its meaning...

This is why I've always preferred the term "awake".
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Citta said:

Well its nice to feel wanted PrairieGhost, but I have bad memories of misanthropy thinly disguised as Buddhadharma on the old E Sangha. ( shudder ).
    There a dilemma inherent in an open forum like this ..does one fight fires ? Or ignore ?
    If one ignores is there a possibility that someone new to all this will form the view that Buddhism teaches a schizoid split in being ? That the other skandhas are neutral but that rupa is " evil "?
    Because that is a recipe for a never to be resolved conflicted state..a conflicted state that signals itself by misanthropy and paranoia...and is far from the Dharma of the Buddha.
    So..it is much easier to restrict ones online contribution to forae where the membership have resolved that kind of conflictedness.

Or help this one become better at it.

"Be the change" and all that good stuff?

This forum is terrific as far as I'm concerned. As long as we keep putting up borders we will never realise and feel the full truth of interconnectedness (is that even a word?)

Because I am non-sectarian and enjoy learning different perspectives and holding the various ideas up to scrutiny, this "come as you are" forum is appealing.

If you and I disagree I don't love you any less.

Vastmind
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Think of it like this. Even though the world has never had a time when at least one nation was not fighting another, that's a far cry from the world engulfed in war such as happened before. The fact that we can't find a way to keep a few people from murdering each other doesn't mean we can give up and let families be afraid for their lives when they walk out their doors.

Utopia doesn't exist on this world, but we're not asking for perfection that way. We're working for a better world, not a perfect world. There's something my old Zen Teacher used to say that applies:

"We are all perfect the way we are, and we can all use some improvement."
    edited October 2012
    At the same time, as a whole we are more awake/aware than we have ever been. Even though there is a lot of misinformation out there, this is the age of information.

We simply know more now. About the world and about what is going on in the world.

Can't do anything about that which we know nothing about.

In the darkest of places, lights are going on and not only that but from far away, we can sometimes see them... We are headed in the right direction.
    lobster
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Citta said:

Citta said:

;) the Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche.

metta...C.

I go on record as stating:

The D.C territory is another 'realm', kemosabe.

lolololololol

Guilty: Off topic
    Citta
  • On reflection you are probably right...kemosabe.
  • jlljll Veteran
    who says that time is finite?
    it is an oxymoron to say time is finite.

I'm still very new to Buddhism and have been do a lot of reading from various sources and have read about quite a few different schools. One supposedly enlightened one claimed he would go ahead and set up a plain of existence where we would all go if we believed in him where we would automatically learn the secret to enlightenment. Another one where if we say the name of another enlightened one we would move to an enlightened existence when we die.

If the cycle of rebirth or reincarnation continues does it go on until we ourselves become enlightened? As time is effectively finite what happens to us if we don't become enlightened in time?