Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Superposition and Buddhist theory

SileSile Veteran
edited October 2012 in Buddhism Today
Heard a brief NPR piece on quantum superposition this morning, and I'm curious to explore whether superposition and Buddhist theory jive.

The commonly used example, is unpleasant--a cat is in a box, out of sight, and with it is a vial of poison which has a 50% chance of exploding. According to superposition, the cat is both dead and alive.

I'm hoping this example might work just as well (physicists, correct me?): a black cat is in a box, out of sight, and with it is a vial of nontoxic purple dye which has a 50% chance of exploding. According to superposition, the cat is both black and purple.

[Edit: Still unpleasant. How about the cat is in its favorite sunny room, with a 50% chance of rocketing around the room after its favorite toy, or being fast asleep. According to superposition, the cat is both playing, and fast asleep.]

The summary I've found most helpful is: Superposition holds that a physical system—such as an electron—exists partly in all its particular, theoretically possible states simultaneously; but, when measured, it gives a result corresponding to only one of the possible configurations. (Wiki)

I know there are a thousand directions in which to go in comparing superposition to Buddhist theory, but what might some of them be? Right off the bat I think of the karmic seeds--that each sentient being has both positive and negative karmic potential at any given moment.

Here's a fun intro to superposition--notice the current comments ;)

Comments

• Did you watch what the bleep do we know? The movie that clip is taken from? It's actually really interesting - they have this weird "movie" part that is just annoying but when the talking heads are doing their thing it's cool, though they did feature some wackos.

I don't think superposition works with cats because cats have consciousness (I think they do anyway, I don't know if physics agrees) collapsing the wave function and taking it from potentiality to actuality. But it's been a while since I thought about this, so I'm going to go back and do some reading before I contribute properly to this thread. Which is awesome, thanks for starting it!
    Sile
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Fantastic point @RebeccaS - this could get to sentience in animals.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Sile said:

The summary I've found most helpful is: Superposition holds that a physical system—such as an electron—exists partly in all its particular, theoretically possible states simultaneously; but, when measured, it gives a result corresponding to only one of the possible configurations. (Wiki)

As I understand it, this only refers to sub-atomic particles - they only "make up their mind" when observed - so it's difficult to see everyday applications. Maybe Chaos theory is more relevant? ;)
  • Papanca.
  • Citta said:

Papanca.

No.
  • Yes, absolutely. Speculative proliferation that adds nothing to the reduction of dukkha. And that which does not address dukkha is papanca.
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Citta said:

Yes, absolutely. Speculative proliferation that adds nothing to the reduction of dukkha. And that which does not address dukkha is papanca.

I've found that exploring and learning to understand physics has greatly reduced my level of suffering, and see no conflict with the Dharma. Expanding my understanding of the universe has actually made me a nicer person and a happier one.
    lobster
  • Namaste.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I don't think there's any way of proving that questing for knowledge has no chance of reducing dukkha, no matter how frivolous the knowledge may seem. A great many quests, initially hailed as frivolous or even batty, have ended up improving our knowledge of medicine.

Josiah Nott's theory that mosquitoes can transmit yellow fever was ridiculed for decades--along with everyone supporting it--before finally proving out.

At any point in a quest, though, it's certainly valid to ask whether someone is following a trail they believe is worthier than another trail, as far as reducing dukkha.

Quantum superposition and Alzheimer's - batty or important? Who knows:

http://wavefunction.fieldofscience.com/2012/01/will-quantum-physics-help-us-cure.html

• Sile said:

Heard a brief NPR piece on quantum superposition this morning, and I'm curious to explore whether superposition and Buddhist theory jive.

The commonly used example, is unpleasant--a cat is in a box, out of sight, and with it is a vial of poison which has a 50% chance of exploding. According to superposition, the cat is both dead and alive.

I'm hoping this example might work just as well (physicists, correct me?): a black cat is in a box, out of sight, and with it is a vial of nontoxic purple dye which has a 50% chance of exploding. According to superposition, the cat is both black and purple.

[Edit: Still unpleasant. How about the cat is in its favorite sunny room, with a 50% chance of rocketing around the room after its favorite toy, or being fast asleep. According to superposition, the cat is both playing, and fast asleep.]

I know there are a thousand directions in which to go in comparing superposition to Buddhist theory, but what might some of them be? Right off the bat I think of the karmic seeds--that each sentient being has both positive and negative karmic potential at any given moment.

Here's a fun intro to superposition--notice the current comments ;)

A gist would help. I am familiar with the double slit experiment, though.
  • SileSile Veteran
    I'm still trying to understand the gist, which I think is something like, "Something exists in all its possible states, simultaneously; but our measurements of it will only reflect one state (at a time?)"

To me this seems like a description of the observer's limitations; our inability (to date) of measuring both states at once, possibly? Maybe like having a camera that can only take a picture from one angle; theoretically if we could develop a camera to take a picture from all angles at once, this would reflect reality, i.e. we could measure all states simultaneously?

To me this sounds something like "ultimate reality" vs. "conventional reality."

But is the dang cat sleeping or running?? Is this about potential, or actual simultaneous states?

Or something completely different? 0_o

• RebeccaS said:
    I am familiar with this. I just wanted to know what the video was about, the conclusions they reached. I am assuming it wasn't merely an explanation on the cat paradox.
  • I also recall schrodinger endorsing advaita rather than Buddhism in his book 'what is life'?
    edited October 2012
    music said:

RebeccaS said:
    I am familiar with this. I just wanted to know what the video was about, the conclusions they reached. I am assuming it wasn't merely an explanation on the cat paradox.
    The video is a clip from the movie What the Bleep Do We Know which explores quantum mechanics and its spiritual implications. I can't really remember the end and what conclusions they drew, I just remember the final scene with some woman drawing on herself. :shrugs: It's worth a watch, though some of the "spiritual" people are total wackjobs :lol:

Another movie on the same theme is The Quantum Activist http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1397093/ which I actually liked a whole lot more :)
    edited October 2012
    Sile said:

I'm still trying to understand the gist, which I think is something like, "Something exists in all its possible states, simultaneously; but our measurements of it will only reflect one state (at a time?)"

To me this seems like a description of the observer's limitations; our inability (to date) of measuring both states at once, possibly? Maybe like having a camera that can only take a picture from one angle; theoretically if we could develop a camera to take a picture from all angles at once, this would reflect reality, i.e. we could measure all states simultaneously?

To me this sounds something like "ultimate reality" vs. "conventional reality."

But is the dang cat sleeping or running?? Is this about potential, or actual simultaneous states?

Or something completely different? 0_o

When we attempt to measure something (observe it) that observation collapses the wave function (its state of potentiality and "bothness") and so it actualizes as only one of the possibilities.

So it's not that the cat physically exists in the wave state, but the potentiality for both of the outcomes exist at the same time. The wave function is in a state of "bothness" because it hasn't collapsed resulting in a particular outcome.

At least, that's how I understand it.

We can't measure things accurately because our observation of the phenomena itself changes the way it behaves. Before the observation, it exists solely as potentiality, and our observation collapses the wave resulting in actuality, or the phenomena we observe. See the double slit experiment http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment.

Our limitation in observation is also demonstrated by the uncertainty principle that states that we can't know the exact position of an object and it's momentum.

Again, that's my limited understanding. :)

I wish we had a physicist in these parts. I would bug them allllll day long.
  • "It is therefore possible to assume that the unitary mechanics applies to the entire physical universe and that wave function collapse occurs at the last possible moment, in the mind itself. This, of course, assumes a non-physical mind" (The Nine Lives of Schroedinger's by Zvi Schreiber)
    What does this have to do with Buddhism? Check out the Lankavatara Sutra.
    edited October 2012
    Songhill said:

"It is therefore possible to assume that the unitary mechanics applies to the entire physical universe and that wave function collapse occurs at the last possible moment, in the mind itself. This, of course, assumes a non-physical mind" (The Nine Lives of Schroedinger's by Zvi Schreiber)

Non physical, and, interestingly, non local, otherwise all phenomena would be determined by the locale of an individual non physical mind which would have to exist independently of all other non physical minds.

Interconnectedness, baby :)
  • SileSile Veteran
    Superposition.

• Sile said:

Superposition.

?
  • The only true measurement is the non-physical mind measuring the brain wherein wave function collapses are happening. While we firmly believe we are local, we are not. It is just that the local, physicalized, collapsed system gets all the attention. :)
  • edited October 2012
    I've often had the thought when viewing the sun's reflection on water that it is a very personal view having to do with exactly where I am at that point in time. Someone sitting to my right or left is also going to also have a personal view of the reflection. If you could view it from all positions at once, what would it look like? Not sure what this has to do with the OP, but think it comes down to the act of observing itself influencing reality.
    Sile
  • Quantum superposition is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics. It holds that a physical system—such as an electron—exists partly in all its particular, theoretically possible states (or, configuration of its properties) simultaneously; but, when measured, it gives a result corresponding to only one of the possible configurations (as described in interpretation of quantum mechanics).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_superposition
    If we want to attain enlightenment we need to come to a realization that the four propositions of Buddhist logic cannot express the state of things.
    The four propositions of Buddhist logic are:
    - Being
    - Nonbeing
    - Neither being nor nonbeing
    - Both being and nonbeing

That all four propositions are insufficient descriptions of reality sounds like "superposition" to me.

Our conventional understanding is like “measuring” the world around us; and thinking in words and concepts makes the state of superposition collapse and by doing so we create samsara and us in it.
    Liberation is not “measuring” and maintaining the miraculous quantum superposition that we are in.

That’s my shot at it anyways.
    :p
    tmottesperson
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Interesting discussion! I have to admit when I first saw it in the discussion list I thought it said "Suppositories and Buddhist Theory" and I wasn't sure what I was going to find. I wish I had more to add but I enjoy reading. My understanding of quantum physics, or physics at all is about as vast as my knowledge of algebra. That is to say almost non-existant ;)
    Sile
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Hi zenff:
    Our conventional understanding is like “measuring” the world around us; and thinking in words and concepts makes the state of superposition collapse and by doing so we create samsara and us in it. Liberation is not “measuring” and maintaining the miraculous quantum superposition that we are in.
    The Buddha said that consciousness (the sense of focussing on an object from a central self) is co-dependent with name and form, like two reeds leaning on each other.
    edited October 2012
    So you perceive a computer screen because you're looking at it, and you perceive looking because there's a computer screen.

Without the notion of consciousness, there couldn't be the notion of an object, and without the notion of an object, there couldn't be the notion of consciousness.
    Jeffrey
  • So you perceive a computer screen because you're looking at it, and you perceive looking because there's a computer screen.

Without the notion of consciousness, there couldn't be the notion of an object, and without the notion of an object, there couldn't be the notion of consciousness.

I don't think so. I just watched something today that proposed consciousness without subject or object, I can't remember the explanation though.
    edited October 2012
    That's what I'm talking about, Rebecca, seeing dependent origination means you end up with what people often call 'consciousness without subject or object'. But since there's no subject to be conscious of an object, it can't really be called consciousness.

You have to deconstruct the idea of consciousness as well as the idea of objects, or rather, this happens naturally when you deconstruct objects, as with the example of the two reeds leaning against one another: if one falls, the whole structure is released.

It might help to imagine samsaric consciousness as light trapped between two mirrors.

'Where do water, earth, fire, & wind
    have no footing?
    Where are long & short,
    coarse & fine,
    fair & foul,
    name & form
    brought to an end?
    "'And the answer to that is:

Consciousness without feature,[1]
    without end,
    luminous all around:
    Here water, earth, fire, & wind
    have no footing.
    Here long & short
    coarse & fine
    fair & foul
    name & form
    are all brought to an end.
    With the cessation of [the activity of] consciousness
    each is here brought to an end.'"
    That is what the Blessed One said. Gratified, Kevatta the householder delighted in the Blessed One's words.'

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.11.0.than.html

To see dependent origination you have to let go of the traditional Theravadin view that consciousness in a Buddhist sense means life. And the Buddha said that if you see dependent origination, you see the dhamma.
    person
  • How would you define consciousness, then? What creates it, the objects of consciousness?
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I could never get into this argument... Cats are aware to some degree and can easily observe their own predicament.

The truth is the truth whether it is seen or not.
    edited October 2012
    Consciousness is not a noun in Buddhism, not a substance. That's where the nibbana-is-death view gets confused. Also the mistake of Sati the fisherman, who thought consciousness was a thing that could transmigrate.

Consciousness as the Buddha spoke of it is consciousness of.

Nothing creates it in a linear fashion; it is co-dependent with name and form (nama rupa):

objects support the illusion of separate consciousness, and consciousness of objects supports the illusion of separate objects.

There is no foundation to this illusion, and it is suffering.
    Citta
    edited October 2012
    To make it simpler, study how your sensations seem to bounce back and forth between 'you' and 'objects'. Where does the coming and going stop? Does it stop?
  • To make it simpler, study how your sensations seem to bounce back and forth between 'you' and 'objects'. Where does the coming and going stop? Does it stop?

For those unacquainted with the concepts a google of the skandhas/kandhas
    might prove useful.

PrairieGhost
  • SileSile Veteran
    I found this helpful:

"According to the Madhyamaka schools, the ultimate reality of the aggregate of consciousness is the naturally abiding buddha-nature. All sentient beings are endowed with the aggregate of consciousness.

The Madhyamaka schools assert that the ultimate nature of this consciousness, which does not truly exist, which does not inherently exist, and which does not exist by way of its own nature, is what allows transformation to take place within our minds. It gives us the ability to limitlessly enhance the qualities of our minds and bestows upon us the capacity to eliminate every defilement. This is the context in which buddha-nature should be understood to function.

The ultimate nature of our own consciousness, which is the result of our karma, and Buddha's consciousness, which is the result of the accumulation of the two types of merit, are the same. Neither our consciousness nor Buddha's consciousness inherently or truly exists. The conventional mode of existence of both of these consciousnesses is also the same--a state of mere experience that is luminous and clear.

So if the ultimate nature of consciousness is buddha-nature, does it follow that the ultimate nature of a mistaken consciousness--such as the consciousness that grasps at true existence--is also buddha-nature? The ultimate nature of this consciousness is not buddha-nature. This is so because the substantial continuum and the continuum that is similar to the previous cause of this mistaken consciousness have an end. The end is the attainment of enlightenment, at which point all mistake consciousnesses will cease. A second reason is that the more our minds become habituated to the consciousness that grasps at true existence, the less they have the capacity for limitless enhancement. Also, mistaken states of consciousness are not stable, as they have no valid basis, being based on ignorance."

~Yangsi Rinpoche, Practicing the Path: A Commentary on the Lamrim Chenmo
    Vastmind
    edited October 2012

That's what I'm talking about, Rebecca, seeing dependent origination means you end up with what people often call 'consciousness without subject or object'. But since there's no subject to be conscious of an object, it can't really be called consciousness.

You have to deconstruct the idea of consciousness as well as the idea of objects, or rather, this happens naturally when you deconstruct objects, as with the example of the two reeds leaning against one another: if one falls, the whole structure is released.

It might help to imagine samsaric consciousness as light trapped between two mirrors.

have no footing?
    Where are long & short,
    coarse & fine,
    fair & foul,
    name & form
    brought to an end?

without end,
    luminous all around:
    have no footing.
    Here long & short
    coarse & fine
    fair & foul
    name & form
    That is what the Blessed One said. Gratified, Kevatta the householder delighted in the Blessed One's words.'

To see dependent origination you have to let go of the traditional Theravadin view that consciousness in a Buddhist sense means life. And the Buddha said that if you see dependent origination, you see the dhamma.

So what is consciousness in a Buddhist sense? How is it defined? I'm googling it right now, but the more input the merrier :) If I understand correctly, from a Buddhist viewpoint, consciousness is an aspect of mind?
  • Anything I say will be provisional because of the nature of language.

But what helped me in practice was 'projecting senses out to an object'. The idea is to investigate where the senses project out from, and see that there isn't anywhere, so they don't.
    Sile
    edited October 2012

Anything I say will be provisional because of the nature of language.

But what helped me in practice was 'projecting senses out to an object'. The idea is to investigate where the senses project out from, and see that there isn't anywhere, so they don't.

I don't really understand what you're saying and I'm not sure if it makes sense or not. If we're defining consciousness as two different things we're trying to have two different conversations :lol:

I'll get back to you on it :)
    PrairieGhost
  • Anything I say will be provisional because of the nature of language.

In deep, dreamless sleep, there is no object of senses or mind, yet consciousness persists. So it appears that consciousness is independent of objects?
    Sile
  • RebeccaS said:

If we're defining consciousness as two different things we're trying to have two different conversations

I think you are probably talking past each other. The consciousness usually posited in the collapsing-wave scenario is not precisely defined, because it is not actually necessary to the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics. When the box is opened and the cat's status is observed, the observer simply becomes entwined in the quantum-mechanical system the cat's status measures, and the observer's state becomes uncertain too, just like the cat's. The role of consciousness in "collapsing" this uncertainty is purely speculative, and not actually necessary to the formalism. It is only there because we experience a single thread of events, and the idea that the world is actually a cloud of probability density spread across the outcomes of myriad quantum-mechanical events makes us uncomfortable.

The consciousness of the skandhas and dependent origination has a fairly precise definition in terms of personal experience. It is awareness of certain aspects of experience as they relate to your current intentions and behavioral tendencies. For instance, if you want a glass of water on a table across the room and there is someone in the way of you getting it, you might be aware of that person primarily as an obstacle, and that collapsed view of the situation is an example of the consciousness aggregate.
    Jeffrey
  • Sile said:

In and of itself, this is not really a useful line of inquiry, it is sort of like trying to compare Freudian psychology to automotive engineering. I suppose there might be a simile in there for how the Middle Way works in practice, but the whole point of the Middle Way is that you don't collapse down to either extreme, so it wouldn't fit perfectly. Otherwise, as Citta (Ha ha) said, it's papanca.
    edited October 2012
    Hi RebeccaS:
    I don't really understand what you're saying and I'm not sure if it makes sense or not. If we're defining consciousness as two different things we're trying to have two different conversations
    I've already explained several times that I'm not using consciousness in the western sense, which doesn't work as a definition anyway, and I'm not using it in one common Buddhist sense of something that can be produced and extinguished, which is also based on the western sense.

I'm using it (consciousness/vinnana) as the Buddha used it, meaning the supporting factor of name and form, the illusion of projecting out from self to a sense object. The ancient illusion of looking out at the world from the window of the soul.

My point is not that consciousness is colours and form drawn on darkness, my point is that what you see as consciousness isn't consciousness.
    edited October 2012
    Hi music:
    In deep, dreamless sleep, there is no object of senses or mind, yet consciousness persists. So it appears that consciousness is independent of objects?
    There is still a subtle object, even when one is asleep, or on an overdose of heroin, or dead. Either that or one's self view is sustained by the momentum of clinging.

For Buddha there is nothing that can be said of objects.

'[The Buddha:]
    As a flame overthrown by the force of the wind
    goes to an end
    that cannot be classified,[2]
    so the sage free from naming activity
    goes to an end
    that cannot be classified.

[Upasiva:]
    He who has reached the end:
    Does he not exist,
    or is he for eternity
    free from dis-ease?
    Please, sage, declare this to me
    as this phenomenon has been known by you.

[The Buddha:]
    One who has reached the end
    has no criterion [3]
    by which anyone would say that —
    for him it doesn't exist.
    When all phenomena are done away with,[4]
    all means of speaking
    are done away with as well.'

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/snp.5.06.than.html
    Jeffrey
  • RebeccaS said:

have no footing?
    Where are long & short,
    coarse & fine,
    fair & foul,
    name & form
    brought to an end?

without end,
    luminous all around:
    have no footing.
    Here long & short
    coarse & fine
    fair & foul
    name & form

So what is consciousness in a Buddhist sense? How is it defined? I'm googling it right now, but the more input the merrier :) If I understand correctly, from a Buddhist viewpoint, consciousness is an aspect of mind?
    And " mind " is from a Buddhist viewpoint ?

edited October 2012
    Me:
    I'm not using it in one common Buddhist sense of something that can be produced and extinguished, which is also based on the western sense.
    It's also related, ironically, to Sati the fisherman's idea of consciousness. It's ironic because Sati's view is often used to prove the Mahayana and the forest monks wrong. Here's the sutta:

http://www.leighb.com/mn38.htm

Sati believes consciousness is a thing in a place that can move. In the same way, the annihilationist views consciousness as a thing in a place that can be present or absent.

The Buddha did not even address the idea of life as an object that could be present or absent. He taught the end of suffering through the deconstruction of self.

The difficulty he addressed in the simile of the reeds supporting each other, in the system of dependent origination, was how to deconstruct deconstruction, which is rather like a detective who is also the murderer, and is thus unable to solve the mystery.
  • That he did. " One thing I teach...suffering and its end "
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    fivebells said:

Sile said:

In and of itself, this is not really a useful line of inquiry, it is sort of like trying to compare Freudian psychology to automotive engineering. I suppose there might be a simile in there for how the Middle Way works in practice, but the whole point of the Middle Way is that you don't collapse down to either extreme, so it wouldn't fit perfectly. Otherwise, as Citta (Ha ha) said, it's papanca.
    But I think it's possible that understandings of various Buddhist theories can be sharpened via understanding theories such as superposition, and visa versa.

My general feeling on science is that as it progresses, it comes closer to certain theories or views which Buddhism has been getting at for a long time. I find this exciting, since some of these Buddhist theories are ones I subscribe to, and it's nice to see them validated scientifically--interfaith dialogue, if you will.

A simple example is the Buddhist theory that meditation can change one's state of mind; initially disregarded or even mocked, meditation is now a subject of scientific study wherein measurable changes can be measured and mapped.

For me, it's a bit of both--hoping to understand science better, via things I'm more familiar with in Buddhism, and visa versa. As long as both science and Buddhism are considered useful, I would respectfully disagree that lines of inquiry between them aren't useful.

But if you've already been-there-done-that, I can definitely see how this would be of little interest! As for me, I'm still trying to figure out if the cat is awake or asleep, and I have confidence that certain Buddhist theories on reality will probably help (or at least help me) get closer to understanding superposition.

Also, as a linguist, I suspect there are Buddhist terms which get closer to "superposition," and as I do a lot of my knowledge-seeking via language, I think that will be helpful, or at least a useful exercise. As a linguist I also realize that many terms don't have exact correlations between disciplines or languages--but sometimes it's the difference that makes the difference, to my lame brain at least.

I guess that might be a good question--what, if any, Buddhist terms people are aware of come close to "superposition?"

• SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Oh man - here's an entire article on superposition and madhyamaka:

http://www.quantumbuddhism.com/topic001.html

Snip:

"Electrons passing through this apparatus, in so far as we are able to fathom the matter, do not take route h and do not take route s and do not take both of these routes and do not take neither of these routes; and the trouble is that those four possibilities are simply all of the logical possibilities…"

- David Z Albert (twentieth century physicist)

"It’s character is neither existent, nor non-existent,
    Nor both existent and non-existent, nor neither.
    Centrists should know true reality
    That is free from these four possibilities."

- Bhavaviveka (1st century Madhyamika)
    RebeccaS
  • SileSile Veteran
    I have to run, but here's a whopper of a treatise - superposition is mentioned on p. 322:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/45269935/Svatantrika-Prasangika
  • And does this illuminate the practice for you at all?