Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Reincarnation

Reincarnation is a bit fuzzy to me. I have one major question. I study anatomy. We are composed of plants and animals. All that we eat becomes us from the womb to the end of these bodies. Is this reincarnation of the plants and animals? In neurology almost every aspect of consciousness is explained. I personally do not separate spirit from body so it still counts as my spirit. However, cells in the body die and come to life at a rapid rate. These living things compose us. Therefore all this death and birth confuses me. This food creating cells seems like reincarnation, and consciousness as just a survival ecumenism. Is reincarnation just this flow of energy that moves from plants and animals to us then eventually from us to the plants and animals. A constant flow of unending energy. This seems scientifically correct. However does Buddhism not teach that we will come back again as a whole creature. Technically we do reincarnate into other creatures but not wholly. Of course with oneness we do. I'm a little confused. Haha

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    However does Buddhism not teach that we will come back again as a whole creature.

Hey Colome
    Well, it's not a pretty picture for anyone attached to their sense of being.
    You arose as a temporary conglomeration of countless karmic streams and the inertia of those karmic streams will continue on unhindered beyond the life of your body (unless the causes for their existance are addressed).
    You can add your own karmic inertia to the mix but either way, what you may add will no more stay homogeneously recognizable as a future "you" than the various karmic streams did before this present "you ".
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Reincarnation in the Tibetan tradition results from the separation of mind from body. A very subtle level of mind, or consciousness, separates upon death (very advanced meditators can learn to separate mind from the body at will, they say, as in astral projection), and proceeds into the Bardo state, from which it emerges when it chooses a rebirth.

In the Pali Canon this "very subtle mind" or consciousness is referred to as "seed consciousness" (it carries the karmic seeds from past lives, forward to the next life).

There's a great documentary film that explains and illustrates the Tibetan beliefs in this regard: I hope the link works. Available from Amazon: "The Tibetan Book of the Dead", DVD
  • It's that time of week again, Rebirth thread time!!!
    tmottesInc88
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    "In neurology almost every aspect of consciousness is explained."

Except how or why things appear to us in the inner movie of our mind, this is called by some "the hard problem of consciousness". Not the neural correlates relating to experiences but the simple fact that we have experience and aren't just unconscious meat robots.

David Chalmers explains it better.

• Oh well, I accept the fact that reincarnation will keep poping up over and over again. :coffee:

Personally I just can't wait for the next re-birth. :D
  • "When the sentient being’s life comes to an end and his body dies, the consciousness will leave his body to take birth again together with his karmas." ~ Maharatnakuta Sutra

GentleJanetColome
  • JohnG said:

Oh well, I accept the fact that reincarnation will keep poping up over and over again. :coffee:

Rebirth has probably occurred a number of times since you posted that.
    ThailandTomlobster
  • Citta said:

JohnG said:

Oh well, I accept the fact that reincarnation will keep poping up over and over again. :coffee:

Rebirth has probably occurred a number of times since you posted that.
    I was going to type something very similar, we all have died and have become reborn again several times by constructing a notion of self or selves in our minds.
  • consciousness, if that is what we consider to be reincarnated it is true than both can be true, interpreting the texts may be difficult. for according to science consciousness is made of cells/chemicals, therefore every time one dies the energy is put forth to a different being. However if oneness is correct is this question even relevant? Is it again the wrong question? Though my curiosity is still steeped.
  • Colome said:

consciousness, if that is what we consider to be reincarnated it is true than both can be true, interpreting the texts may be difficult. for according to science consciousness is made of cells/chemicals, therefore every time one dies the energy is put forth to a different being. However if oneness is correct is this question even relevant? Is it again the wrong question? Though my curiosity is still steeped.

In fact I think science cannot agree on exactly what consciousness is, made from, where it comes from or where it goes. Many people come to religions because of these big questions, what happens when I dide? Where did we come from etc, but IMO Buddhism is not so much about that, it is more about making now important as that is the only real time that matters and that can be used.
  • No matter how many questions arise, and how much doubt flows; there are things we can only rely on faith to answer. :om:
  • well, buddhism is not faith-based.
    people can see reincarnation thru meditation.
    unless , all of them are bloody liars, including the buddha.
    JohnG said:

No matter how many questions arise, and how much doubt flows; there are things we can only rely on faith to answer. :om:

person
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    hermitwin said:

well, buddhism is not faith-based.

No, seeing things through meditation is not sufficient to prove reincarnation, any more than a Born Again Christian having visions of something he or she believes in is proof...and they are not liars.

ThailandTomlobster
    vinlyn said:

hermitwin said:

No, seeing things through meditation is not sufficient to prove reincarnation, any more than a Born Again Christian having visions of something he or she believes in is proof...and they are not liars.

I'd say the difference is meditators who spend the amount of time necessary to see past lives (10s of thousands of hours) are sufficiently familiar with the workings of their minds to know the difference between true knowledge and fabricated beliefs or wishful thinking. Though I guess its still not proof in the scientific sense.

Several posters who equate gnosis with wishfully deluding oneself in my opinion don't give any validity towards the expertise of advanced meditators in observing the mind. In any other field a person who spends thousands and thousands of hours developing their craft is given some consideration when they speak on the matter. Here there seems to be a feeling that an advanced meditator isn't any more able to discern the workings of their mind and how it can fool us than any normal person.

Trusting in the knowledge of experts is something we do all the time. In everyday life this knowledge can be verified and shared. I think maybe the difference here is that the knowledge gained through meditation is by its nature personal and can't be shared. It is said to be verifyable though and many people throughout the years have also said they have verified the knowledge of past lives for themselves.
    Sabrehow
    Take a concert pianist for example who's spent many hours everyday of his life playing the piano. We can hear him play and understand his expertise.

Now imagine that we can't hear him play but he says that its possible to play great music on the piano. We can't do it, we've known people who said they could play but have never really practiced and have eventually been proven frauds, we've scientifically measured a wide swath of people who have never practiced on the piano so why should we believe that music can be played on the piano.

Meditation is a fairly new concept in the west and we don't really have any exposure to those who have mastered the art, so we don't really appreciate what is possible. Though recently there have been some studies that have started to look at expert meditators. In one early result the area of the brain associated with happy feelings was shown to be more active in the expert meditator by a factor of 8 than in any previously observed person. Still within the realm of a purely material universe but also an indication that maybe an experts testimony is worth some amount of weight.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Hmm... I'm sorry to repeat myself and I try to steer clear of this kind of thing but my response is the same as for the last topic I posted in so I'm just going to repost it.

if the universe/multiverse is mental as well as physical, it's possible that we go where we want and/or believe we go.

This is why I think preaching about hells is irresponsible. Especially when dealing with those close to death.

I kind of see it as a kind of spiritual (for lack of a better term) form of a hydrological system...

Home in the far couds;
    The path of least resistance...
    Can be tedious.

Also I like to keep in mind that time has little to no meaning where the strictly mental is concerned. All kinds of chemicals are released to the brain during the moment of death. If the "frame of mind" at the time of death is anything like that of a dream it could last a long "time" indeed.

• vinlyn said:

hermitwin said:

It's more than sufficient for one personally, and that's what Buddhism is about. It's not sufficient the Buddha became enlightened, we have to replicate it.
    lobsterVictorious
  • "When we look for consciousness in the body, we cannot find it anywhere; yet without consciousness, the body cannot live." — Maharatnakuta Sutra

"The nature of this [consciousness] is maintained to be transparent, formless and unmanifest, and it can, in fact, never be cognized by one who is not a Buddha." — Alokamala by Kambala [53]
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    @Songhill;

But isn't being a Buddha something we awaken to and not turn into?

That quote from Alokamala seems to put the Buddha out of reach.
  • If we're already the Buddha, then no work would be necesary.
    If we are not already the Buddha, there is nothing we can awaken to except delusion.
    PrairieGhost
  • If we're already the Buddha, then how come we are debating this on newbuddhist.com, lol.
    Well, in my own opinion it's because some of us have not yet discovered how we are the Buddha. Sometimes, the quickest way to get where we have to be is to see we are already there.
    PrairieGhost
    edited October 2012
    Waking up isn't the end... There's still much to do if we have a mind for it.

I certainly am not saying I have fully awakened or anything like that... I do see it as a process however.

Not a transformation or transmutation but the natural result of realisation.
    ThailandTom
  • ourself said:

Waking up isn't the end... There's still much to do if we have a mind for it.

I certainly am not saying I have fully awakened or anything like that... I do see it as a process however.

Not a transformation or transmutation but the natural result of realisation.

This + 1

The process never ends IMO, even when you are fully awoken, you still need to practice, you still need to perform service and you are still subject to karma. However, all of this is fine because you see things for how they really are :)
  • If there is good and bad, do we recognize the bad? Therefore recognizing a world full of it? Of course there is plenty of good, but if you live in bias can you ever truly be at peace?
    Colome said:

If there is good and bad, do we recognize the bad? Therefore recognizing a world full of it? Of course there is plenty of good, but if you live in bias can you ever truly be at peace?

It depends on ones concept of peace I'd imagine. Buddha decided to get up from that tree and share his insights with us so he must have figured it was a good thing to do.

• lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    Gods will, bad karma and reincarnation are a way of offering hope to the desperate and the spiritually fragile.
    I would rather be inspired by the compassionate working to alleviate suffering now, not fishy tales of how they were a penguin in a previous pureland. Pleeze . . . you been feeding your mind too much weird stuff . . .

Trust those that do good. Be inspired to help. Start your next being in this vey moment, in this very life.

. . . OK better start worshipping some many armed Buddha incarnation soon . . .
  • music said:

If we're already the Buddha, then how come we are debating this on newbuddhist.com, lol.

Because we are "clouded Buddhas ".
    The sun always shines, but clouds often obscure it.
    The clouds in our case is our identification with our transient mind states ..the identity that we cling to.

ThailandTom
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Delusion exists on both the conservative and the woo woo side of the spiritual fence. Spiritual conservatives cleave to the tangible while the woo woo crowd cleave to the untangible.
    Of course, the real limitation is always the fence or whatever identification keeps us on one side or the other of it.
    PrairieGhost
    lobster said:

Gods will, bad karma and reincarnation are a way of offering hope to the desperate and the spiritually fragile.
    I would rather be inspired by the compassionate working to alleviate suffering now, not fishy tales of how they were a penguin in a previous pureland. Pleeze . . . you been feeding your mind too much weird stuff . . .

Trust those that do good. Be inspired to help. Start your next being in this vey moment, in this very life.

Funny you should mention that, desperate and spiritually fragile are the first words that have always come to my mind too when I think about people like the Dalai Lama, the Karmapa, Thich Naht Han and those of their ilk.

I get that these things can be used like a crutch but you take it a step too far when you say that they are a crutch.
  • jlljll Veteran
    your arrogance and ignorance encourages me
    bcos there is so much room for you to grow in buddhism.
    lobster said:

ThailandTomlobster
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    Always glad to be of encouragement.
    Humility and wisdom are two qualities kept well hidden but then you knew that . . .
    As for the inspiration of the professionally holy. They are an example to us all, whatever our status . . . :)

May all beings benefit, the ignorant, the arrogant and the incorrigible
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    lobster said:

...fishy tales of how they were a penguin in a previous pureland.

Penguins are nice though. :p
  • lobster said:

...fishy tales of how they were a penguin in a previous pureland.

Penguins are nice though. :p

They are lovely in fact, but I could not eat a whole one!