Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A logical explanation

I don't consider myself a skeptic when it comes to the paranormal and unexplained phenomenons like UFOs. I find those subjects interesting and believe that they are worth investigating. But what I really don't understand is how can people think that there is "a logical explanation" for everything? I would like to know if there is such a thing as "undeniable evidence" out there. If some things really can't be explained, is logic supposedly always behind it, or are we wasting time by studying something we'll never have an answer for?

Comments

• SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    driedleaf said:

I would like to know if there is such a thing as "undeniable evidence" out there.

As long as there are humans left to deny, there will be no such thing as undeniable evidence, lol. But it's in the claiming and denying that we can sometimes work our way closer toward understanding, so I don't see disagreement as problematic; actually I see it as vital.

Science doesn't really believe in undeniable evidence, imo, because history shows us we must always leave room for the possibility of future discoveries that overturn (i.e. advance) current theory.

Strong evidence is about the best we get.

driedleafzenff
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    driedleaf said:

I would like to know if there is such a thing as "undeniable evidence" out there.

Depends on what standard of proof you deem reasonable and the nature of the test you have to satisfy in order to conclude that it is proved.
    driedleaf
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Zero said:

driedleaf said:

Depends on what standard of proof you deem reasonable and the nature of the test you have to satisfy in order to conclude that it is proved.
    Yes, there is a difference between the level of proof to yourself, as compared to the level of truth to society.

• I think some people are more prone to superstition while others feel more comfortable believing in logical explanations. I've had some difficult to explain times in my life. And VERY many times when I had a superstition that was later proven false. As a schizophrenic this is a big issue. If I don't lean away from superstition I can develope a veritable train of delusions or 'miracles'.
    lobsterdriedleaf
  • driedleaf said:

It's out there if you really look.. but it seems like reality is more bendable than breakable, if you know what I mean. It seems to me that in this plane of existence, we are allowed to believe either way no matter what... even if we see something borderline, we can ignore it.
    I am very interested in psychic phenomena personally. Of particular interest to me is the PEAR, http://www.princeton.edu/~pear/publications.html
    http://blip.tv/stripmind/electronic-random-event-generator-results-pear-2027543
    have a good one!

:coffee:
    driedleaf
  • SileSile Veteran
    Outstanding lecture - thanks for this!!

• ZeroZero Veteran
    @oceancaldera207 - great links - would have worked just as well without the picture.
  • oceancaldera207oceancaldera207 Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Oh yeah! I was going to say, ' sorry for the graphic picture, but the point is this monk essentially overrode every nerve fiber in his body, every million year old animal instinct to do this. I personally think that this person demonstrated that he was completely beyond his body. I think that some demonstrations of discipline border on, if not completely break the supranormal barrier... look at the Shaolin for gosh sakes!
    anyways thats why i felt that it was relevant to the discussion. Youre very welcome for the PEAR stuff, Im glad you like it. There are some naysayers regarding some of this stuff, but the arguments against are pretty flimsy, and sometimes downright cheap. I love talking about this stuff, IM me if you're interested. thanks
    mike
  • There probably isn't undeniable evidence of anything because of the subjective nature of experience.
  • There is more or less reliable evidence for more or less coherent explanations.

Theory of Evolution: Lots of reliable evidence, coherent explanation.
    UFOs: Lots of unreliable evidence, incoherent explanation.

http://www.skepdic.com/ufos_ets.html
  • Quantum science is beyond logic, but is constrained by the need to be scientific, mathematically consistent, true to the evidence. It is unlikely this will be sufficient.
    There are many things, most things unknown to us. Our knowledge and capacity to process is tiny. Not much more than primate level.
    We can also evolve to Buddha Mind (still working on that). Then we move into experiential knowledge and beyond . . . :clap:
    driedleaf
  • Hang on. Who says QM is beyond logic? I'd want to politely disagree. I know physicists usually think so, but they don't often examine Aristotles logic very carefully. It allows for contradictory complementarity. No slouch Aristotle. He saw all the possibilities.

Nagarjuna showed that logic can refute all views except his own, but his view does not include anything paranormal or supernatural as far as I can tell, just the mundane and the supramundane.

To be honest I cannot make sense of the idea of a phenomenon that is supernatural. How can anything not be natural?
    Siledriedleaf
  • To be honest I cannot make sense of the idea of a phenomenon that is supernatural. How can anything not be natural?
    Logically it can not. So far Quantum Mechanics is strange but logical. The idea that logical thought will always be the height of the means of knowing . . . is not logical . . . :)
    SileRebeccaSsova
  • Aristotle's was formal logic and does not allow for contradiction. You probably mean Hegel's dialectical logic.
  • What are those links about, ocean? I can't watch them.
  • No, I mean Aristotle. He does not allow for contradictions, no, but none arise in QM. The only reason they are sometimes said to arise is that not everyone reads Aristotle closely. By his rules 'particle-wave' is not a contradiction. Even Heisenberg missed this. To be honest, I feel it is a mistake that so many Buddhists and Taoists think that their doctrine entails contradictions and 'illogic'. It does not according to Aristotle. It merely extends beyond logic.

To be clear. A true contradiction requires that one member of a pair of statements is true and the other is false. This is not what we are asserting when we say that an electron is (or seems to be) a particle and a wave. Nor is it what Heraclitus is asserting when he says 'We are and are-not'.

There is a great deal of misunderstanding of this point among even the professors.

• oceancaldera207oceancaldera207 Veteran
    edited October 2012
    @music they are about some studies done by the princeton engineering anomalies research group, [ basically the princeton parapsychology dept.] The video was about the studies they did on the effect that intention has on random number generators.
    They've done a lot of interesting stuff! http://icrl.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Acoustics-JASA.pdf This one'll really make you think!
  • Just because it's defined as "paranormal" now, doesn't mean there's not a scientific basis for it. It just means that science hasn't caught up with reality yet. But it's getting there, slowly but surely. Also, it's surprising how much science actually knows about some of that stuff, but we never hear about it.
    Silelobster
  • I've tried quite a few times over the years to make a paranormal event happen. Really. The results are ambiguous. I'm not convinced that I've not succeeeded once or twice. If you try to make a strange thing happen and it happens, then it is difficult not to infer cause and effect.

In the case of seances, using the old glass-touching routine, the results seem paranormal to me, or abnormal, non-ordinary or whatever. For example, I've spoken to James Joyce at length on a few different occasions. When I politely asked if I could join the group, having been away the day before when he turned up, he told me to f-off. Later he relented.

I've also spoken, or so it seems, to the Bishop of Bath and Wells, which was my mother's diocese while growing up. He stated, or spelt out, that the only way to eternal life is through Holy communion. For decades I thought this must be nonsense and then came across Buddhism, and now think that that this may be one way of putting it. It's quite difficult to explain this one away since the only other person present was my mother, who is not prone to cheating or making grand religious pronouncements, and I thought religion was nonsense at this time. To explain this as an ideomotor effect does not explain anything.

Once, as a teenager, during a very strange experience I had while trying a yoga relaxation technique for the first time, I was so sure that I could move a chair with my mind that I didn't bother doing it. I was also so sure that I could enter the dream of the person asleep across the room that I didn't bother doing it. The night went on to be a lot stranger than this and included the most frightening collection of experiences I've ever had. Were they paranormal? I can only say I hope so.

Mind you, the first and last of these events took place late at night in an old and forbidding granite-built converted 18th century convent fifty feet from the foot of Glastonbury Tor, where in the grounds is the little garden that surrounds Chalice Well, the little spring that according to legend is the final hiding place of the Grail cup, and not very far from Wearyall Hill, where Joseph of Aramathea is said to have planted his staff which then took root to become the famous Holy Thorn of Glastonbury, on the occasion that he was visiting England on a business trip (it was a busy trading centre then), accompanied by his nephew Jesus, and, it goes on and on, almost in the very centre of a circle of prehistoric signs in the surrounding landscape that are said by some to represent the signs of the Zodiac and that that can only to be seen from the top of the Tor, albeit only by those who have the eyesight of a new-age romantic. These are not ideal laboratory conditions for paranormal research.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I'd just like to echo the sentiment made by others in this post. When the term logical explanation is used really what is being said is there must be a physicalist explanation. I don't imagine anything paranormal that actually exists would somehow not be a natural phenomena and therefore not behave according to certain predictable laws and rules.
  • The question could be rephrased as: is our brain sufficiently equipped for its ambition; to understand the world that it is part of?

Maybe we are like ants or like bacteria. As humans we can see their limitations but what about ours?
    Our perspective is limited and we can’t even measure the magnitude of our not-knowing.
    There must be so many questions we can’t even ask ourselves (leaving aside answering them) because of our limited vision.
    All we can do is try to be rational about this tiny fragment of the universe we understand, maybe.
    Jeffreylobster
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    person said:

I'd just like to echo the sentiment made by others in this post. When the term logical explanation is used really what is being said is there must be a physicalist explanation. I don't imagine anything paranormal that actually exists would somehow not be a natural phenomena and therefore not behave according to certain predictable laws and rules.

just some fun rhetorical ponderings,
    Can every natural law be described? And if so, what is the description made out of =)?

zenff said:

The question could be rephrased as: is our brain sufficiently equipped for its ambition; to understand the world that it is part of?

Maybe we are like ants or like bacteria. As humans we can see their limitations but what about ours?
    Our perspective is limited and we can’t even measure the magnitude of our not-knowing.
    There must be so many questions we can’t even ask ourselves (leaving aside answering them) because of our limited vision.
    All we can do is try to be rational about this tiny fragment of the universe we understand, maybe.

do not confute Mind and Brain.

bacteria perhaps identify with individual 'units' of bacterium... but what about ants? perhaps they identify as individuals on a relative level, but they also function as a larger organism together -- where is the mind of the super ant? =)

• Dakini said:

Just because it's defined as "paranormal" now, doesn't mean there's not a scientific basis for it.

Yes, but equally, it doesn't mean there IS a scientific basis for it either.

• Daozen said:

Dakini said:

Just because it's defined as "paranormal" now, doesn't mean there's not a scientific basis for it.

Yes, but equally, it doesn't mean there IS a scientific basis for it either.
    We can only wait and see.