Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

HHDL gives interview to Ann Curry on the political situation in Tibet

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
HHDL talks about the situation in Tibet and gives some of the clearest answers I've heard regarding self-immolation. Only 7 minutes.

BonsaiDougVastmindsovaSile

Comments

• BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    "More knowledge of the map of the mind." I like that. Thanx for the vid.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I have a difficult time accepting his viewpoint since he believes burning a person to death is "non-violent".
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    vinlyn said:

I have a difficult time accepting his viewpoint since he believes burning a person to death is "non-violent".

As I heard it, he talks about the person's "intent" as opposed to the "action" itself. It seems that the intent outweighs the action by itself.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    edited November 2012
    That could be an excuse for frequently breaking many Precepts. In my view it allows people to justify unmindful actions.
  • vinlyn said:

That could be an excuse for frequently breaking many Precepts. In my view it allows people to justify unmindful actions.

I agree with you.

The full implications of intent, action, and satisfaction of action must be realized as the full principal of karma.

Focusing just on intent is walking around with one eye when we can use two.
    tmottes
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Thank you for the video ^^
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited November 2012
    vinlyn said:

If these people were throwing themselves onto a train track to physically save a child, we would likely be as understanding as the Dalai Lama toward their unmindfulness. Since we don't live under their circumstances, we don't understand that is exactly what they feel they are doing.

Of course the counterargument is simply to say, "No they don't," and then there's really no way to discuss it. One could make the same counterargument about Jewish people committing suicide during WWII, but it doesn't change the likelihood that they had a good (enough) reason.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I'm not so sure that I believe the self-immolators are unmindful of their actions, or their intent. I get the impression (which is based on nothing but a gut feeling) that they are quite mindful, and that that is why they are doing what they are doing. They are, I think, hoping to incite revolution. Whether it's the right way to go about it, I have no idea. I have never had to live in a place where it was worth giving my life to see change. But I could see a point that I might be willing to do so, and it would not be without mindfulness.
    MaryAnne