Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is the tathagata permanent?

If it is permanent then how can it not be a self?

If it is not permanent then it wouldn't extinguish suffering permanently?

Glossary:
tathatagata - a word for buddha the awakened being

Comments

• The tathagata is beyond all designations of permanent and impermanent.

Self or No self. Being or non-being. Is or isn't. Both or Neither.

So the question itself has presuppositions of duality. For some "thing" to be permanent requires some "thing" to be apart to see its "permanence". And permanence co-arises with impermanence. So really it has no "true" relevance other than a construction on the basis of assumed constructions.

The true Buddha is beyond designations, yet includes designations. But no ontological reality is set up as a status quo. And even the absence isn't set up as a status quo.

person
  • So when we say dharmas are impermanent that is provisional owing to the duality? Like it's a kitchen sink level of thought ie provisional.
  • Go wash your mouths both of you.

;)
  • I don't understand, zenff? :)
  • @taiyaki, I mean that we use dualistic words when talking about dharmas.

Glossary
    dharmas- stuff :)
  • The teaching of impermanence assumes a dualistic view. It is not an ultimate truth though it does lead to relinquishing and letting go.

The whole point of the dharma is to lead sentient beings to letting go.

Idk if this answers your question.
  • Yes, it does.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Impermanence without things. Just complete change and movement, yet no things are moving unless projected otherwise. Still moving water is a good metaphor.
  • How can there be impermanence without something to reference that to? It would be like having red without anything that is red.

I see what you are saying though haha.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2012
    I think just saying suchness is change is trivial. You already know that before you are a Buddhist, well some people think like that. I always did. You know "you never step in the same river twice." That is trivial because it does not liberate (completely) from suffering. So there is more to Buddhism than suchness = change. There is practice and actually waking up as an awareness quality to change rather than of change as a concept.
  • Yeah I agree. We must consolidate the insights into our view, practice and experience.

The primary insight into how things are formed and how the cease is infinitely important.

For some an intellectual deconstruction will lead to the intuition of the reverent pointed by the symbolic transmission.

But for most a more direct meeting over and over and over again is required. So logical conclusions may not be effective.

It is all dependent upon the individuals capacity and conditions.
    lobster
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2012
    A match cannot start a flame, because a hand must be there. A hand cannot start a flame because a match must be there.

Thus these are conditions but they are not causes.

From Buddhism Connect a free email mailing:
    Nagarjuna talked about how the idea of cause implies something has the power in it to produce something else but when you look closely at the things involved they (nidanas 12 links) are not of the nature of things that can produce an effect. Since a thing called a cause cannot produce an effect and an effect cannot exist without a cause this shows that things do not arise in dependence on causes, and they do not arise causelessly and so do not arise!

Or in other words, whatever it is that we are calling things, their true nature cannot be grasped in terms of causes and effects, existence and not existence, arising and not arising and so on.
    Note: the non-quoted material is my independent thought and not a part of Buddhism Connect :)
    RebeccaS
  • Vajraheart:

"One reason within it's philosophy descriptive of reality is...

We as Buddhists don't make real something eternal that stands on it's own, so we don't see the cosmos the same way as monism (one-ism) does. Which is why we don't consider a monist ideation of the liberated state as actually signifying "liberation." We see that a monist is still binding to a concept, a vast ego... an identity even if beyond concept or words, is still a limitation to the liberated experience of a Buddha. We see that even the liberated state is relative, though everlasting due to the everlasting realization of inter-dependent-co-emergence. We don't see any state of consciousness or realization as being one with a source of absolutely everything. We see the liberated consciousness as just the source of our own experience, even though we ourselves are also relative to everything else. The subtle difference is a difference to be considered, because it actually leads to an entirely different realization and thus cannot be equated with a monist (one-ist) view of the cosmos at all which we consider a bound view and not equal to the liberated view.

Also... there is the concept of the creative matrix in Buddhism and this matrix is without limit and is infinite. But it's not an eternal self standing infinite. It's an infinitude of mutually dependent finites... or "infinite finites" that persist eternally without beginning or end and without a source due to mutual, interpersonal causation you could say.

It's not that a Buddhist does not directly experience a unifying field of perception beyond being a perceiver that is perceiving... but, the Buddhist does not equate this even subconsciously, deep within the experiential platform of consciousness, with a source of all being. It's merely a non-substantial unity of interconnectivity, not a vast and infinite oneness that is the subject of all objects. That would not be considered liberation from the perspective of a Buddha. That would merely be a very subtle, but delusional identification with an experience that originates dependent upon seeing through phenomena, where the consciousness expands past perceived limitations. Even this consciousness that experiences this sense of connection with everything, beyond everything is also considered a phenomena and is empty of inherent, independent reality. Yet persists for as long as the realization persists, which for a Buddha is without beginning nor end.

This subtle difference is an important difference that makes Buddhism transcendent of monism, or "there is only" one-ism.

Because of this, it is a philosophy that see's through itself completely without remainder. Thus a Buddha is considered a "thus gone one" or a Tathagata.

Take care and have a wonderful night/day!!"
  • I can't understand that. Oh well, such is my mind.
  • Jeffrey said:

It is a self, it's the "True Self", according to some of the Mahayana suttras.

• Basically you are indras net.

You are the sacred. This all of this is the truth body of the Buddha.

Lovely talking brother!
  • Jeffrey said:

I don't understand, zenff? :)

We don’t really need to understand profound philosophical concepts.

If my concepts are simple, my practice is to not get stuck in any of those simple concepts. When I develop profound concepts, my practice is not to get stuck in any of those profound concepts either.
    At the end of the day our intellectual approach leaves us empty-handed. No-one understands.

Playing around with concepts is okay and maybe helpful. But when we think we finally have captured it in a few beautifully crafted sentences; it is time to go wash our mouths.

• lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    You are the sacred
    Oh boy oh boy oh boy :clap:
    Can it be true?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2012
    @zennf

Tibetan Buddhists have mouthwash helmet drinking hat.

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Drinking-Helmet-Soda-Hat/dp/B000MTYLWC
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited November 2012
    @Jeffrey
    I had heard about the Red Hat sect. It makes sense now. ;)
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Jeffrey said:

Glossary:

You've already gotten better answers than I'll likely give but I find these questions fun to ponder.

The first question I think penetrates the Two Truths nicely. On the one hand, tathagata was temporary and on the other, it is the essense of our true nature which we share with all. Not just the sentient but the non because we are all part of the same act.

Can we awaken to that act? I think I've felt it. When the labels all drop away and it feels like I am absolutely everything. It's never lasts long because something always reminds me of something else.

Can't label without seperating.

It could just as easily be delusion on my part but hey... It's all in the process, I figure.

I don't think it is about self negation but not self affirmation either... It's about getting rid of the conceptual borders between the labels. To me, a label may as well be a "self".

The second question makes me think of the un-namable name. The non-attainable "self". One thing with suffering is that it requires subjectivity or duality. I don't know if this is true, but it seems to me that an awakened being can still empathize without losing touch with the inner joy of non-self attachment. Seems silly to have compassion and reach out to something that isn't really there so I think the trick is to expand our sense of what we are to include everything.

True Metta... (imo)

I feel this thing I may call a "self" for the sake of information sharing is temporary and not really a "self" because there is no solid foundation on which it stands apart from the one we all share which is in constant change. It's unchanging in that it's in a constant state of change. Naming or trying to identify on a subjective/objective level is to put a limit on something that will be added to long after the perspective doing the naming has long since experienced subjectivity.

Personally, I think the problem with labels lies mostly with the nouns.

I'll go sit down now, thank you.
    JeffreyVastmind
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    @taiyaki

Thanks for posting Vajraheart's comments.

His light and wisdom are sorely missed and it answered some questions that have been making me lean toward advaita vedanta a little lately.
    taiyaki
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Thanks to all for this thread! :)
    For being the home-schooled kid,
    I sure kept up! lololololol :mullet:
  • jlljll Veteran
    no, it is not permanent.

it is no more.
    Jeffrey said:

Glossary:

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2012
    @jll so anything that lives is not permanent. And a Buddha would be distinguished by non-grasping, but that being dies. Therefore the difference between Buddha and me is the grasping awareness. Am I thinking along what you were thinking?
  • jlljll Veteran
    huh? i dont grasp your thinking along. lol
  • jlljll Veteran
    the difference is in clear seeing.
    an arahant can see everything clearly, therefore no-self, no karma, no rebirth.
  • jlljll Veteran
    perfect clear seeing, i might add.
    bcos you have sotapanna, anagami etc who has clear seeing but not perfect.