Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Rainn Wilson on being a Baha"i and the upcoming "spiritual revolution".

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
edited November 2012 in Faith & Religion
I don't like The Office...at all. However, I do find Mr. Wilson to be an interesting, informative and rationally spiritual man.

Being a Baha'i

The upcoming Spiritual Revolution

Comments

• I'd never even heard of the Baha'i faith; it's fascinating stuff. Thanks for the post!
    DaftChris
  • I'm not a fan of The Office- only for the reason I never seemed to catch it on TV- probably because I rarely watch regular network TV... But I always thought Rainn was an interesting sorta guy. I enjoyed the video; it gave us an insight into his personal and spiritual life/style and outlook.
    DaftChris
  • I think there is a Baha`i temple not far from where I live.... which is very interesting considering there isn't any sort of Buddhist temple, Sanghas or classes within two hours drive in any direction. I know next to nothing about this faith... anyone have any experiences with knowing Baha`i followers, or having looked into this religion for themselves?

I found these 'basics' about the religion with a quick Google:

The Baha`i's Believe:

All humanity is one family.
    Women and men are equal.
    All prejudice—racial, religious, national, or economic—is destructive and must be overcome.
    We must investigate truth for ourselves, without preconceptions.
    Science and religion are in harmony.
    Our economic problems are linked to spiritual problems.
    The family and its unity are very important.
    There is one God.
    All major religions come from God.
    World peace is the crying need of our time.
  • When looking at any religion, it is important to study its best. It is also important to hear what skeptics and detractors say and to look at the results of the religion. I would love to have been brought up as a Baha'i or a Pagan or a Sufi or a Jew. Most cultural buddhists are no better than nominal Christians . . . The best thing is finding the depth or wisdom available to us. It really is not about the religion or the life we lead. It is the attitude.
    Oh yes being brought up an atheist would have been nice, especially if finding God . . .
    There are good people, parents and belief followers. We can be kind to all of them . . .

:wave:
    JeffreyDaftChris
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    He created a website and forum based on spiritual and humanity questions called soul pancake.

http://soulpancake.com/
    DaftChris
  • Big Think is a great channel, always some thought provoking stuff on there.

Appreciate the video
    DaftChris
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    @MaryAnne

I'm actually looking into this religion myself. The only thing holding me back is that traditional teachings say that homosexuality is a "curable condition".

Of course, not all Baha'i believe this; Rainn Wilson included.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited November 2012
    DaftChris said:

@MaryAnne

I'm actually looking into this religion myself. The only thing holding me back is that traditional teachings say that homosexuality is a "curable condition".

Of course, not all Baha'i believe this; Rainn Wilson included.

I also saw one or two basic facts about this religion that would definitely prevent me from considering it for myself-
    they believe "life" begins at conception, so I'm assuming this means they are very much anti-choice when it comes to certain birth control methods and/or abortion. BUT, on the other hand, that's perfectly OK (with me) if they do nothing to impose their beliefs on others. That makes a huge difference to me.

The other thing is the One God issue. I've come to a point in my life where I am not into the idea of (any sort of) "God" being. Now of course I haven't really looked into the Baha`i concept of God - and how they actually acknowledge and worship him/her and what that all means in terms of ritual and prayer, etc.....

Oh yeah, and the gay thing (being 'curable') I don't like either.
  • Maybe heterosexuality is curable. I would like to be asexual and have a quantum god (variable between many, none and one) . . . only ever knowingly talked to a couple of Bahais. Seemed gentle and nice people. The Hindus have a gay god - skanda . . . :bowdown:
  • It freaks me out that Dwight is smart.
    DaftChris
  • Michio Kaku is on there! (this Big Think channel) He's this awesome scientist.

Thanks for posting these btw, it's a cool channel.
    DaftChris
  • RebeccaS said:

Michio Kaku is on there! (this Big Think channel) He's this awesome scientist.

Thanks for posting these btw, it's a cool channel.

I absolutely adore Michio Kaku! I could listen to him all day....
    And seriously, his beautiful white hair is so awesome! ;) Love it!

RebeccaS
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Just saw Rainn in a film on TV last night called The Rocker. Absolute garbage...probably aimed at a younger audience though. There was just nothing else on when the cricket finished.
  • lobster said:

Maybe heterosexuality is curable. I would like to be asexual and have a quantum god (variable between many, none and one) . . . only ever knowingly talked to a couple of Bahais. Seemed gentle and nice people. The Hindus have a gay god - skanda . . . :bowdown:

The idea of humans as asexual is akin to overcoming any kinda sexuality, I guess .... not a preferable goal to overcoming problems related to sexual desire IMO.

The Bahai teachings I have come across are in a lovely flowery type language - lots of symbolism and expression of the human condition and I agree the practitioners and practice I have seen is gentle, inclusive and kind

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    lobster said:

When looking at any religion, it is important to study its best. It is also important to hear what skeptics and detractors say and to look at the results of the religion. I would love to have been brought up as a Baha'i or a Pagan or a Sufi or a Jew. Most cultural buddhists are no better than nominal Christians . . . The best thing is finding the depth or wisdom available to us. It really is not about the religion or the life we lead. It is the attitude.
    Oh yes being brought up an atheist would have been nice, especially if finding God . . .
    There are good people, parents and belief followers. We can be kind to all of them . . .

:wave:

My goodness, what a holier than thou attitude you express.

Invincible_summer
  • I'm no expert, but as student of comparative religion I have delved a little into this faith. It appears to be consistent with Buddhism in most respects. The theism is ambiguous and may allow of an atheistic interpretation, and if they say that life starts at conception, well, this is how conception is defined.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    It's a faith that started in Iran in the 19th century - I suppose it was akin to a culty political organisation - more cult but it did also gain political power - its teachings are derived from multiple sources following a common theme as highlighted by their recent prophet - in a way, they consider they follow the latest version of the one world religion.

In considering what it is that they believe, much depends on their faith before they found bahai - the initial transition was from Islam - the process is akin to an occult study but within familiar surroundings - there exists the common structure necessary to maintain a community.

Took off outside of Iran more so - I think in part because Iranians view it as an unnecessary simplification / manipulation of existing doctrines - they are the insiders to the cult's origins so perhaps they are too close to see the value.
  • "Spiritual Revolution"?

Let's see, in my short lifetime I've heard about a hundred prophets and saviours and followers of various religions proclaim there's a "spiritual revolution" right around the corner. Pretty soon. Within a year or so, maybe. The signs are here. The Messiah has arrived. Join now for a front row seat.

Complete nonsense. Always has been, always will be. The only spiritual revolution that will ever happen is inside your own mind, and it won't be a gift from some Messiah or savior or because the planets and stars have aligned. It'll be because you picked up a mental shovel and started cleaning out the crap in your own head. Not very glamorous. But it beats waiting for some mythical spiritual revolution that will never arrive.

On the other hand, I'm a grouchy old Zen fart tonight. Ask me tomorrow and I might have a happier answer.
  • I just read this article about the Baha'i http://blog.tsemtulku.com/tsem-tulku-rinpoche/art-architecture/sanctuary-for-a-persecuted-faith.html and i like the two tenets of equality for women and the renunciation of violence, which got the founder into trouble.

Also for more background of the above article, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahá'í_Faith

On May 23, 1844 Siyyid `Alí-Muhammad of Shiraz, Iran proclaimed that he was "the Báb" (الباب "the Gate"), referring to his later claim to the station of Mahdi, the Twelfth Imam of Shi`a Islam.[45] His followers were therefore known as Bábís. As the Báb's teachings spread, which the Islamic clergy saw as a threat, his followers came under increased persecution and torture.[12] The conflicts escalated in several places to military sieges by the Shah's army. The Báb himself was imprisoned and eventually executed in 1850.

Bahá'ís see the Báb as the forerunner of the Bahá'í Faith, because the Báb's writings introduced the concept of "He whom God shall make manifest", a Messianic figure whose coming, according to Bahá'ís, was announced in the scriptures of all of the world's great religions, and whom Bahá'u'lláh, the founder of the Bahá'í Faith, claimed to be in 1863.

• I don't know, Cinorjer. I think maybe you're right and being a bit grouchy Zen today. I suspect we are watching the revolution but that it's happening one person at a time so isn't immediately obvious. Internet sites like this one are having an effect maybe. In all of history it's never been so easy to compare religions and cut through the rubbish to get to the good stuff.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    These two sentences:
    lobster said:

I would love to have been brought up as a Baha'i or a Pagan or a Sufi or a Jew. Most cultural buddhists are no better than nominal Christians . . .

and these:
    The best thing is finding the depth or wisdom available to us. It really is not about the religion or the life we lead. It is the attitude.
    [...]
    are very... contradictory.