Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dalai Lama's Attitude Regarding Self Immolation

A friend of mine believes the Dalai Lama refuses to condemn these self immolations that have been occurring. I have heard estimates of anywhere from 70 to 80+ immolations have occurred, and he says not one word of condemnation from the Dalai Lama.

Is anyone here aware of his stance on this issue?

Comments

• http://tibet.net/2012/10/23/nbc-interviews-his-holiness-the-dalai-lama-on-self-immolation-tragedy-in-tibet/

Short answer: He says it's very sad but refuses to condemn the practice. It's a political answer forced on him as the secular head of a political movement. Your friend is right.
  • I disagree. It's the principal of not negotiating with terrorists: the Chinese government has demanded over and over that he condemn all kinds of things. The best policy, in order to avoid giving the government terrorists even more leverage, is to refuse to engage. If he caves on this issue, tomorrow they'll demand that he condemn something else, and then something else, until he is just another megaphone held hostage to the Party. If you know anything about the Dalai Lama throughout history it's that no one in his former administration told him what to do - he told them what to do, even when they didn't like it.

• Sile said:

I disagree. It's the principal of not negotiating with terrorists: the Chinese government has demanded over and over that he condemn all kinds of things. The best policy, in order to avoid giving the government terrorists even more leverage, is to refuse to engage. If he caves on this issue, tomorrow they'll demand that he condemn something else, and then something else, until he is just another megaphone held hostage to the Party. If you know anything about the Dalai Lama throughout history it's that no one in his former administration told him what to do - he told them what to do, even when they didn't like it.

@Sile Isn't that what I said? That his non-condemnation is a political answer forced on him by his role as secular political leader? I don't see where you're disagreeing with me on any point.

Now, my personal opinion is that he should condemn the practice, as the spiritual head of his Buddhist sect. But even if he wanted to, he's not about to do so because of the reasons you state. All it would do is get him attacked for siding with the Chinese and somehow dishonoring the people who have already committed suicide. Politics, in other words. I've been around long enough to know how it goes. But I wasn't asked for my personal opinion.

My own personal opinion also is that people need to stop looking at the Dali Lama and seeing only an enlightened Buddha. He's the head of state. He is, in fact, a Priest King. His words are as carefully monitored and controlled as any President or politician. He seems a nice guy, compassionate, and certainly learned his Dharma. But he's stuck in a role that demands politics must come before anything else. I feel sorry for him.
  • it must be a difficult to be placed in a situation where you cannot possibly say or do the right thing. it does become very much a game and unfortunately, people are dying as a consequence of it. I have no doubt that much of the rhetoric is centered on posturing by the Chinese government. They take the onus off of themselves and place it on the Dalai Lama. No easy answers I guess. I just wish it would end.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Yes, @Cinorjer. There's no way to prove why he's not saying anything, so it's indecent for anyone to insist that his silence is a political strategy. That's the same thing people say when trying to force someone to deal with terrorists, "Oh, the President doesn't care - he's not doing anything." When in reality, maybe the policy is simply not to be forced into any statement.

He hasn't endorsed the suicides, and he hasn't condemned them. Neither his former administration nor the Chinese government nor any onlookers can prove his silence is political; it's just as possible, and just as likely, that it's anti-political.
    MaryAnne
  • it must be a difficult to be placed in a situation where you cannot possibly say or do the right thing. it does become very much a game and unfortunately, people are dying as a consequence of it. I have no doubt that much of the rhetoric is centered on posturing by the Chinese government. They take the onus off of themselves and place it on the Dalai Lama. No easy answers I guess. I just wish it would end.

Amen.
    lobsterfedericapommesetoranges
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Well politically he really has no actual power anymore, does he? He basically retired from the political side of his job in order to live more so as a monk and less as a head of state.

I agree that it likely has a lot to do with China. They are constantly blaming all the problems in Tibet on him, saying it's not THEIR fault people are self-immolating, but the HHDL's fault because he doesn't tell them not to. Always trying to shift blame for their poor actions onto the HHDL. He is doing the smart thing by not engaging them. If there is one thing the HHDL is, it's smart, and I don't think we can pretend to armchair quaterback the situation that is going on there, and the details that are at play, especially when the only information we get is from an unreliable media.
    Sile
  • Do you condemn the choice to self-imolate? I think it is their choice.
    SileBeejMaryAnne
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Jeffrey, that's not a good argument. Do you condemn the choice to murder? Rape? Everything is not a matter of choice being good.
  • That's true but they are the victim rather than in rape or murder the victim is someone else. I believe a person ought to be able to decide when they are going to leave this world.
    SileBeej
    I see your point, but in public actions such as this there is also harm to the society and to Buddhism...in my personal view.
    lobster
  • Amazing how people end up blaming HHDL even though its clear that occupation/oppression is making people do this. But let's not blame those factors, let us blame HHDL and feel good.
    Sile
    You're right, Music. While I wish HHDL would teach against the practice, I hardly see it as his fault.
    While it could be seen as harmful to Buddhism, it doesn't have to be. I'm not saying we should celebrate it or anything like that. Just that I don't think we understand, exactly, and that I think to them it is alot like we have discussed when opting to kill bugs or animals or whatever. That we accept whatever karma we get from our actions. They obviously know that suicide is not good as far as karma goes, and they are willing to accept that in order to try to bring attention to a cause that they feel is so important it is worth dying for. While I know several people have served in the service, and I'm not lessening their service or that of any other service such as police, I think that the term "dying for a cause" is no longer as well understood by us. While many people give their lives for our freedoms, I still think most of them believe they won't die. Anyhow, when a cause is so important to a person that they are willing to die for it and accept the karmic downfall, I think that is pretty big. Unfortunately, most of the rest of the world doesn't grasp that so it doesn't have the meaning they hope it will. When the monk in Vietnam did it, the US was already unhappy and restless with our involvement in the war. We already had a dog in that fight. In the case of Tibet, we do not, and the self-immolations are falling on deaf ears because we just don't understand the depth of their suffering and their willingness to die to stop it.
    SileMaryAnneblack_tea
  • Karasti. Well said. For what it's worth I agree with both of your posts.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited December 2012
    music said:

Amazing how people end up blaming HHDL even though its clear that occupation/oppression is making people do this. But let's not blame those factors, let us blame HHDL and feel good.

This is the dualistic thinking that perpetuates terrible things like war and brutal occupations. Nobody here is blaming HHDL. I've never read anyone saying he ordered the people to committ suicide. However, neither is the occupation "making people do this" which is the Tibetan side of the blame game. Not unless the Chinese are secretly setting people on fire.

You can understand the multiple factors, from cultural beliefs to Chinese occupation, that cause somone to set themselves on fire, and still not condone the practice.

You know what rings a loud alarm bell with me? That people try to call it "self-immolation" instead of what it is: suicide or killing yourself. When we lie to ourselves, we try to find words that ignore the truth.

There is something deeply, deeply disturbing in the claim that suicide as political protest is in any way, shape or form a valid Buddhist practice. The tragedy is compounded by suspecting the people killing themselves have been taught that it's the noble thing to do and the Dharma tells them to do it. The HHDL actually said that, well, if they were not doing it out of anger or hatred for the Chinese, then it was good karma. Say what? "Do not kill sentient beings." What part of that doesn't refer to yourself?

Yes, we can make ourselves feel better that they're killing themselves and not the Chinese. But it's the same thinking that tells the suicide bomber he's going to Heaven for blowing himself and a half dozen people up. It's so similar, it makes me wonder, is Buddhism any different at all from the other world religions, or are we just fooling ourselves and rooting for our home team?
    pommesetorangeslobster
  • @cinorjer, do you have a source for the Dalai Lama saying self-immolation is good karma?
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited December 2012
    A development today: http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/news/international/selfimmolations-by-tibetans-us-asks-china-to-initiate-unconditional-talks-with-dalai-lama/article4170296.ece

Here is a statement from the Dalai Lama back in July:

“Now, the reality is that if I say something positive, then the Chinese immediately blame me,” he said. “If I say something negative, then the family members of those people feel very sad. They sacrificed their… life. It is not easy. So I do not want to create some kind of impression that this is wrong.”

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article3617428.ece

• This is quite interesting - according to this article, Chinese netizens are increasingly expressing solidarity with Tibetans:

http://twocircles.net/2012dec02/growing_voices_solidarity_tibetans_among_chinese_netizens.html
  • Sile said:

@cinorjer, do you have a source for the Dalai Lama saying self-immolation is good karma?

Here's a quote from the NBC interview I linked at the beginning of the string.

"I am quite certain that those who sacrificed their lives with sincere motivation, for Buddha dharma and for the wellbeing of the people, from the Buddhist or religious view points, is positive. But if these acts are carried out with full anger and hatred, then it is wrong." (HHDL)

I mean, I understand what he's trying to say. And I understand the difficult position he's in. People who are Tibetan Buddhists say the Dalai Lama isn't like the pope, where he can just order these be stopped even if he wanted.

Another troubling concern is that while these started out with older monks and I was told they could be following a tradition where death while in a deep meditative state is supposed to bring good karma to the people, but the example they were providing spread to young monks and then lay people doing it as a simple act of protest.

I feel sometimes when I look at the world, I'm like that guy way back during some riots who yelled out "Can't we just get along?" while the mob just wanted to hurt someone.

edited December 2012
    Cinorjer said:

music said:

Amazing how people end up blaming HHDL even though its clear that occupation/oppression is making people do this. But let's not blame those factors, let us blame HHDL and feel good.

This is the dualistic thinking that perpetuates terrible things like war and brutal occupations. Nobody here is blaming HHDL. I've never read anyone saying he ordered the people to committ suicide. However, neither is the occupation "making people do this" which is the Tibetan side of the blame game. Not unless the Chinese are secretly setting people on fire.

You can understand the multiple factors, from cultural beliefs to Chinese occupation, that cause somone to set themselves on fire, and still not condone the practice.

You know what rings a loud alarm bell with me? That people try to call it "self-immolation" instead of what it is: suicide or killing yourself. When we lie to ourselves, we try to find words that ignore the truth.

There is something deeply, deeply disturbing in the claim that suicide as political protest is in any way, shape or form a valid Buddhist practice. The tragedy is compounded by suspecting the people killing themselves have been taught that it's the noble thing to do and the Dharma tells them to do it. The HHDL actually said that, well, if they were not doing it out of anger or hatred for the Chinese, then it was good karma. Say what? "Do not kill sentient beings." What part of that doesn't refer to yourself?

Yes, we can make ourselves feel better that they're killing themselves and not the Chinese. But it's the same thinking that tells the suicide bomber he's going to Heaven for blowing himself and a half dozen people up. It's so similar, it makes me wonder, is Buddhism any different at all from the other world religions, or are we just fooling ourselves and rooting for our home team?
    I agree with all of your post, except that I do think the DL comes in for some awfully heavy and unfair criticism from time to time on this forum. I think the DL sometimes should speak out more, but I still think he is overly criticized here on this forum. Having said that, I personally believe he is very wrong on this specific topic.

• SileSile Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Thanks @Cinorjer, and sorry - didn't realize it was in the original link.

I suppose it might be akin to euthanasia then - thinking that if it is carried out with sincere motivation for Buddhadharma and for the wellbeing of the animal, it could be at least discussed whether this is acceptable. Difficult issues.

Certainly I think it could be said that a self-immolation carried out in hatred generates a different karma than one carried out in love. So if indeed there is a difference, the difference at least can be explored. If you truly believe that by self-immolating you may save future lives, that is a hard call. What if you prevent the slaughter of your town by drawing attention to it just in time. Certainly, many people in history have engaged in this kind of sacrifice. Very hard to analyze.
    @cinorjer HHDL is very traditionalist. Think of some of the stories in Buddhism that follow what he said about the immolations. The story about Buddha running across a starving tiger and cubs and gave his life so that they could eat him and survive and obtained great karma for it. I don't think that we lay people can really even pretend to understand the depth of the understanding of Buddhist teaching and culture that the HHDL has. It just seems silly to me to say he's wrong on such a simple basis, especially from a western point of view. Perhaps if you get a chance to meet HHDL one day, you could question him on why he doesn't understand Buddha's teachings as well as you do.
    lobster
  • karasti said:

@cinorjer HHDL is very traditionalist. Think of some of the stories in Buddhism that follow what he said about the immolations. The story about Buddha running across a starving tiger and cubs and gave his life so that they could eat him and survive and obtained great karma for it. I don't think that we lay people can really even pretend to understand the depth of the understanding of Buddhist teaching and culture that the HHDL has. It just seems silly to me to say he's wrong on such a simple basis, especially from a western point of view. Perhaps if you get a chance to meet HHDL one day, you could question him on why he doesn't understand Buddha's teachings as well as you do.

Oh, he has his understanding and I have mine. I never said sacrifice for the sake of others has no place in Buddhism. I understand you probably don't really think I'd be rude enough to lecture him or challenge him if I was honored by a visit, but maybe only making a point.

I'm afraid I simply don't have your worshipful attitude when it comes to people like the Dalai Lama. Respect and honor yes. I have that in spades. He's had a tough life and has worked hard for his people. But my Buddhism isn't Tibetan Buddhism, with it's esoteric, hidden-wisdom way of insisting lay people aren't capable of questioning the actions and words of their betters in the temples. I was taught to question even the Masters, as long as I actually listened to the answers. But then to make up my own mind.

lobster
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2012
    "I was taught to question even the Masters, as long as I actually listened to the answers. But then to make up my own mind."

@Cinorjer
    My sangha (TB) it's said that you should be honest. That doesn't mean you will never be told off by the guru because they are honest also. You just treat every situation as a dharma gift which is entirely 180 degrees different from not questioning as engaging open-mindedly and considering everything with fresh eyes is the opposite of not questioning.
  • @Jeffrey sounds like a wise sangha.
  • Many of you are encouraging monks to commit suicide...

W.T.F....

People do think things and thinks it's right because other people's reaction. If you make it sound like approval then it becomes approval.

The "oppressor's action justifies oppressed's every action" is not in accordance with ultimate reality. Thats not how to you solve a difficult political situation.

seriously, how many of you are willing to immolate yourselves?!!! If you are willing, why?!

Who did more good for equality?! Martin Luther King Jr or Malcolm X?
    @Cinorjer First of all, I don't worship the HHDL. I actually find his teachings mostly dry and difficult to follow compared to other options. I respect him as a great Buddhist and master. I never said never to question and to just have blind belief in what any leader says. It just comes across as silly to think "I can't believe the HHDL does/says this, doesn't sound like Buddhism to me" when #1 media is notorious for epic failures of telling the whole story and #2 we have no idea really, even if we have visited, what their culture is like not having lived within it for generations. I question many things, regardless of who they come from. If I did not I'd still be a Christian, lol. But I try not to make judgements about things I really know nothing about. I have my opinions, but they are based on the very little bit of information we get. I think if we had China in our faces every moment of the day we probably wouldn't react how we'd like to be able to, either.

A few days ago, a poster in another thread who doesn't live in the US, shared some critical opinions about the US. More than one person told them "if you don't live here, you can't really know and understand." The same is true for any other country.

MaryAnne
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    I shall make my own opinion on it very clear, Wasting ones precious Human life for a political statement is a waste.

It is not difficult to say this because Buddhists recognise the value of our Human life for use Spiritual use and benefiting others and there is no benefit in killing ones self as these people are doing, China doesn't change because some Tibetans set their selves on fire change can only come from within their political system.
    lobsterJeffreyToshBhikkhuJayasara
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    Well said Caz,
    Intentional, self induced suffering is like sitting in the agony of a full lotus and expecting to be at ease . . .
    Imposing suffering on ourselves for the sake of others, for example by feeding tigers with our own body, is a self indulgent act. Not skilful, not pragmatic, wasteful, causing increased suffering. Bodhisattva stories for children . . . Sometimes tigers and their cubs die and mothers do not mourn their self sacrificed 'bodhisattva' children. A skilful Dalia Lama made it clear that wearing tiger skins (a fashion statement in Tibet) was not skilful. A skilful Dalia Lama is friends with the precious jewels known as enemies. Some enemies are masquerading as friends of Tibet.
    Personally I believe he might tell people to burn, internally, not literally . . . they might then come up with skilful ideas . . . in another lifetime or two . . .

Nobody said it would be easy. Someone even mentioned it would be dukkha . . .
  • @karasti I think no matter what our different thoughts on the wisdom of suicides in this case, we both hope that this festering conflict gets settled one day so the Tibetan people will stop contemplating the need for such a terrible action.

From what I've read, the two peoples have been friends before in between conflicts. They share an ancient and fascinating tradition, especially when it comes to Buddhism as it was introduced across the Silk Road.
    My personal feelings on it are more in line with what Caz posted. But I realize my opinion/feelings on the matter are based on my very limited experience and knowledge of the truth of the situation. Can I sit in my cushy house, meditating as I wish, saying as I wish and mostly behaving as I wish, watching cable and typing on my computer, and say that yes, I can imagine a point in my life where I could contemplate burning myself alive? No, not really. However, I don't live in the situation they do so if I did, perhaps I would feel differently. I don't know. I just try to see things from other points of view and not judge things I don't really understand, whether it's the people doing the action, or the HHDL for not telling them not to do it.
    SileJeffrey
  • I find it amazing to see the Dalai Lama so thoroughly under-estimated on a Buddhist forum, and to see so many judgemental comments about people who feel forced to end their life in this way. This is disturbing to me. These people are Buddhists, skilled or not, and I doubt they have not thought very carefully about the pros and cons being discussed here. I can only admire anyone who is so far along that they feel they can second-guess HHDL. I can't even second guess my children.

Florian said:

I find it amazing to see the Dalai Lama so thoroughly under-estimated on a Buddhist forum, and to see so many judgemental comments about people who feel forced to end their life in this way. This is disturbing to me. These people are Buddhists, skilled or not, and I doubt they have not thought very carefully about the pros and cons being discussed here. I can only admire anyone who is so far along that they feel they can second-guess HHDL. I can't even second guess my children.

We all do it...all the time. In fact, you just spent a paragraph second-guessing people!

:D
    On the plus side, the HHDL probably wouldn't mind that he was being questioned. Unlike the Catholic Church where if you disagree with something they say you cannot even be confirmed and take communion. It would be interesting to know what HHDL truly thinks on the matter, but he cannot say so we will never know.
  • Pardon me. I must be using 'second-guessing' in an unusual way.
    Florian said:

Pardon me. I must be using 'second-guessing' in an unusual way.

When you say, "...and to see so many judgemental comments about people who feel forced to end their life in this way," you are being judgmental about people having a moral view about the efficacy of suicide, particularly -- in this case -- suicide for a political motive.

• @Florian we are struggling as Buddhists with the question of how far the ends can justify the means. To me, that shows the strength and unique blessing of being a Buddhist. The thought of people killing themselves bothers us as much as the thought of killing others, especially if it's given blessing by the Buddhist Sangha. I doubt very much the HHDL would say this concern was wrong or misguided.

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Let us not forget that the Dalai Lama is just a human being like any of us, he has his aggregates and delusions, putting too much faith in one man is asking for impermanence to come smack you in the face :)

that being said.. the monks doing the immolations are breaking one of the first principles of dhamma practice.. non-harm. I am not judging or condemning them in any way and can only give them my loving-friendliness , but I cannot see how the practice is skillful or beneficial to themselves or others.
    What about Thich Quang Duc? He self-immolated and his actions helped bring attention to some serious issues that pushed people to respond and resolve the crisis. Did he receive bad karma, good karma, or both?
  • I think we in the west do a lot of projecting when it comes to the Dalai Lama.
    i think he is a brave..even noble , figure thrust into a position that he is temperamentally unsuited to. He is politically naive and as a result has been manipulated by both the Chinese government and by those elements in the Tibetan goverment in exile in Dharamsala who are obsessed with power.
    This has led to his failure to condemn roundly the profound emotional blackmail and sheer waste of precious human life inherent in this and other acts of self immolation.
    It has also led to his autocratic response to those Tibetan groups..in the Nyingma and Gelug in particular who refuse to accept his authority over them, an authority btw never claimed by DL's before the Chinese invasion.
  • Cinorjer said:

@Florian we are struggling as Buddhists with the question of how far the ends can justify the means. To me, that shows the strength and unique blessing of being a Buddhist. The thought of people killing themselves bothers us as much as the thought of killing others, especially if it's given blessing by the Buddhist Sangha. I doubt very much the HHDL would say this concern was wrong or misguided.

I'm sure he wouldn't, and of course I agree it's an issue worth debating. But it's one thing to be concerned about the issue, quite another to say that the action of the monks is misguided and against the precepts and that the DL is politically naive and handling the situation incorrectly. Perhaps it is so, but these judgements are speculative. The story of the Buddha committing murder in a previous life indicates that decisions are sometimes dictated by circumstances, and that no rule for living will apply in every situation. It's the absoluteness of some of the judgements here that bothered me, as if there's a rule book.

When I commented on seeing so many judgemental comments about people who feel forced to end their life in this way, I did not mean to be judgmental about 'people having a moral view about the efficacy of suicide'. but about people having a moral view on behalf of other people whose situation is only partially known to them. I'm not second-guessing anything, just reading what people say, but we would have to second-guess the monk's situation and the DL's decisions in order to judge them.

But I'm being pedantic I suppose. I appreciate that the motive is concern and better shut up.

edited December 2012
    karasti said:

What about Thich Quang Duc? He self-immolated and his actions helped bring attention to some serious issues that pushed people to respond and resolve the crisis. Did he receive bad karma, good karma, or both?

AN 4.77 PTS: A ii 80
    Acintita Sutta: Unconjecturable

"These four imponderables are not to be speculated about. Whoever speculates about them would go mad & experience vexation. Which four? The Buddha-range of the Buddhas [i.e., the range of powers a Buddha develops as a result of becoming a Buddha]... The jhana-range of one absorbed in jhana [i.e., the range of powers that one may obtain while absorbed in jhana]... The results of kamma... Speculation about [the first moment, purpose, etc., of] the cosmos is an imponderable that is not to be speculated about. Whoever speculates about these things would go mad & experience vexation."
  • karasti said:

He achieved martyr status in his country, but beyond that who can say? His death didn't really change anything, for all the picture of him on fire made him famous. The Roman Catholic dictator Diem continued his brutal suppression of the 90% Buddhist population with America and the Vatican's backing until his own army (which was mostly Buddhist soldiers with Catholic officers) turned against him in a coup, and about the only thing you can argue is if that happened a bit sooner or not. America never stopped supporting him with lots of money and weapons and never pushed him to change and continued to send more fighters over to be killed in the war.

Monks after him also set themselves on fire before the reigns of power were handed over to a military dictatorship that had the sense to leave the Buddhists alone and concentrate on the war against the Communist north. Which they lost eventually and the Buddhist temples were then suppressed by the Communist government, but the Communists suppressed the Catholic minority also so at least they had company this time.

It would be nice if life was simple enough to allow us to divide everyone's actions into good and bad based on obvious outcomes. Life isn't like that. Most actions and the consequences are a mixture of good and bad and nobody knows if anything made a difference in the long run. All I know is, there has to be a line we say should not be crossed in the name of justice or freedom or good versus evil, and it's so easy to justify any action when you see the world in terms of us and them.
  • All suicide...no matter how politically motivated and how ideologically high falutin' is an act of aggression every bit as much as is homicide.
    And as he has been thrust no matter how unwittingly, into the position of being a spokesman for Buddhadharma the DL should be saying in public what he is saying off the record on the subject.
    edited December 2012
    Citta said:

All suicide...no matter how politically motivated and how ideologically high falutin' is an act of aggression every bit as much as is homicide.
    And as he has been thrust no matter how unwittingly, into the position of being a spokesman for Buddhadharma the DL should be saying in public what he is saying off the record on the subject.

I agree with you on the suicide topic although we know that it is futile and unbenificial to judge the people doing so, whatever they do is their kamma and we can only give metta. One of my teachers, Bhante Seelananda, teaches us about non-harm and metta even at the risk of our own lives.. and of course the simili of the Saw comes to mind -

MN 21 PTS: M i 122
    Kakacupama Sutta: The Simile of the Saw

"Monks, even if bandits were to carve you up savagely, limb by limb, with a two-handled saw, he among you who let his heart get angered even at that would not be doing my bidding. Even then you should train yourselves: 'Our minds will be unaffected and we will say no evil words. We will remain sympathetic, with a mind of good will, and with no inner hate. We will keep pervading these people with an awareness imbued with good will and, beginning with them, we will keep pervading the all-encompassing world with an awareness imbued with good will — abundant, expansive, immeasurable, free from hostility, free from ill will.' That's how you should train yourselves.

as for the DL. Perhaps spreading the message that no one person is a spokesman for Buddhadharma, especially one such person who only represents 3% of the world's Buddhists, is the best thing here, although I realize it's a bit of a pipe dream hehe. Even I as a child was first introduced to Buddhism through the DL.

people in the west are use to having that "one" figure, like the pope, who can tell people how to live.. I was drawn to the fact that one of the Buddha's last words when asked who would lead them after he died, was that the Dhamma is your teacher.. I hold that close to my heart.
    Citta
  • It's impossible to judge or make an assumption of the position he is in as we are not in it. In my opinion, he took the middle road. Nothing more, nothing less.
    MaryAnne
    I agree, that Buddhism doesn't, and shouldn't have some main leader. Buddhism is within us and it's up to each of us to decide how it fits with our current conditions. As per all the discussions here, it's obviously not as simple as "this it how it is." I don't think it's my place, or anyone else's (including the HHDL) to judge the actions of any of the people. If they make a decision knowing the karma they are taking on, that is still their decision to make.

Most people agree suicide isn't a good option for any problem. The human rights groups are the ones giving attention to the self-immolators in an attempt to sway governments into stepping in. It is a very sad situation, but since last February 2009, 90 people have set themselves on fire over the Tibet situation, including at least 8 children. In that time, more than 120,000 Americans have also committed suicide. One life is one life, one is not more important than the other. But looking at the #s suicide is more of a problem here, than there, and in the world, we rank like 47th for suicides, it's a worse problem in many other nations. In the US, suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death in people 15-24. While the media has been focused in the past 2 days on the 17 year old who self immolated in Tibet, how many other 17 year olds killed themselves over bullying, abuse, etc without ever being noticed?
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

A friend of mine believes the Dalai Lama refuses to condemn these self immolations that have been occurring. I have heard estimates of anywhere from 70 to 80+ immolations have occurred, and he says not one word of condemnation from the Dalai Lama.

Is anyone here aware of his stance on this issue?

I am not aware of his stance.
    But, having listened to the Dalai Lama for a long time (and many other monks) ... it seems that Buddhist do not tend to condemn, period.
    We are all ignorance (unenlightened), and this creates great sorrow in the world.
    The Buddhist response is compassion, not condemnation.
    MaryAnne
  • I've never heard the Dalai Lama say anything about having authority over any school; in fact he refers pretty regularly to those who actually are the heads of the various schools, calling them such.