Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The third noble truth

So i have discovered the route of my suffering, now to stop it. The Buddha said that life is suffering so surely we cant conquer the third precep. The only way i see this being accomplished is purely just accept whatever arises not labelling it as suffering just another sensation. Even if we never had desires again we will still be prone to physical pains i.e head ache. Then if we took this hypothesis and just accepted we may not do something that eleviates the pain i.e paracetamol lol. What do you think about this?
TheEccentric

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Wisdom23 said:

So i have discovered the route of my suffering, now to stop it. The Buddha said that life is suffering so surely we cant conquer the third....

The 4th Noble Truth - the 8-fold path - is the method.
    Wisdom23
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Thaddeus Golas in "The Lazy Man's Guide to Enlightenment," observed aptly, "When you have learned to love hell, you will be in heaven."
    Wisdom23lobsterRodrigo
  • Wisdom23 said:

So i have discovered the route of my suffering, now to stop it. The Buddha said that life is suffering so surely we cant conquer the third precep. The only way i see this being accomplished is purely just accept whatever arises not labelling it as suffering just another sensation. Even if we never had desires again we will still be prone to physical pains i.e head ache. Then if we took this hypothesis and just accepted we may not do something that eleviates the pain i.e paracetamol lol. What do you think about this?

Why would we resist taking paracetamol if we need it ?
    Its not a question of not having desires...its about being able to choose our response with a clear mind, instead of just responding to conditioning and custom.
    Wisdom23vinlyn
  • Wisdom23 said:

So i have discovered the route of my suffering, now to stop it. The Buddha said that life is suffering so surely we cant conquer the third....

The 4th Noble Truth - the 8-fold path - is the method.
    genkaku said:

Thaddeus Golas in "The Lazy Man's Guide to Enlightenment," observed aptly, "When you have learned to love hell, you will be in heaven."

Citta said:

Wisdom23 said:

Why would we resist taking paracetamol if we need it ?
    Its not a question of not having desires...its about being able to choose our response with a clear mind, instead of just responding to conditioning and custom.
    Thank you for clearing that up a feel a bit stupid now it is quite obvious tbf i am still within my first few months of adopting Buddhism so still learning.

Many Thanks
    ecdrewello1
  • Not at all stupid...a very good question.
    Wisdom23
  • In meditation practice sometimes - imo – we do deliberately meet discomfort and pain and stay with them. It can take the form of pain in the knee or a headache or boredom or sleepiness or bad memories; discomfort and pain have many faces.

And - the way I see it – one essential lesson to be learned from meditation is impermanence.
    When we stay where we are the discomfort will come, it will change shape and it will go.
    But no matter how fast we run away from discomfort and pain, it will always catch up with us and ultimately staying and running don’t make much difference. Whatever we do we will experience discomfort and pain, coming and going.

We may learn to stay with pain; not being a masochist but learning to relax into the experience; to become “one with it”.
    I think that’s a wonderful skill; being able to relax where we are; in particular when we are in places where we don’t really want to be.
    Like genkaku mentioned; it opens the door of heaven right in front of you.

Being a masochist is the other extreme. We don’t practice to punish ourselves; we practice to be able to relax where we are. If they have aspirin in hell I’ll have an aspirin please.
    Jeffrey
  • Acceptance of everything as it is, only brings so much freedom and peace.

The point of the four noble truths is to showcase that suffering is an effect and that it has causes.

Insight is what brings liberation. So for instance if there is suffering, then we can accept it as it is. Oh suffering, there you are. Neither pushing nor pulling we allow it. Then it just goes away on its own.

This is fine, but the key insight is overlooked. Relaxing aversion and attachment effects the suffering. Aversion and attachment are the conditioning factors towards the construction of suffering. Suffering is built and ceases when the conditions for its continual building end.

This extends to everything when practiced and examined. Everything is a construction, thus empty thus a projection, Even the gross "things" we consider physical. Any form of suffering is an assumption of many parts globed together as one thing, when examined it is insubstantial.

howzenffJeffrey
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2012
    @Wisdom23

Connecting the intellectual reading of the 4NT & 8FP with the experiential is often helped by first differentiating pain from suffering.

Pain is just a warning notification that something needs to be paid attention to. Suffering is our resistance to that experience.
    Where as pain is just the nervous system doing it's job, the 4NT and 8FP show that suffering is just our response to that pain and that suffering is actually optional.

Once that understanding is experienced and digested, one begins to see that it's not just pain but all stimuli (painful, neutral or pleasurable) that can result in suffering according to our attachments to them.

So while some say that the 4NT & 8FP teachings are pretty simple,
    manifesting them gives new meaning to the definition of limitless.
    zenffWisdom23
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Yes thaqts the way I see it too. Physical pain is not suffering it can just lead too it arising through our desires for it too stop.
  • Sorry I have no new insight for the OP just thanks for the people who posted this helped me out a lot too! It's amazing how you can keep finding new insights from the "simplest" of the Buddhist teachings. When I'm having trouble coming back to the basics almost always seems to help! :)
  • Why accept the 1st truth but not the 3rd? You can't have one without the other.

Buddha taught a way to reduce suffering. What he meant by suffering is the the mental anguish we put ourselves through by our attachments and desires, rather than physical pain.

However, letting go of our desire can even help with physical pain. When we stub our toe, we immediately sense hurt, but that hurt is worse because we also immediately think "I don't want to have this feeling". Being able to change your reaction to such sensations, to let them happen without creating more pain by our stressful reactions to it, can actually help reduce these physical aches and pains. Mastery of mind has many benefits. But it's not a black and white thing, it's a gradual improvement as you practice more and more, gain more understanding, become more compassionate.

Namaste
    how said:

Pain is just a warning notification that something needs to be paid attention to. Suffering is our resistance to that experience.

I don't think it's that simple because in the suttas descriptions of dukkha ( suffering )invariably include physical pain, disease, aging etc.

• The suttas say that even pleasurable experiences have a degree of suffering inherent at a deep level..but that most of the time we are unaware of this because we are distracted by them.
    BhikkhuJayasara
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Citta said:

The suttas say that even pleasurable experiences have a degree of suffering inherent at a deep level..but that most of the time we are unaware of this because we are distracted by them.

agreed

even in times of great "joy" there is always dissatisfaction... and fear.. this is why Dukkha is not given justice with the definition of "suffering".
  • True... "suffering " is an inadequate translation of dukkha. Ideally we might try internalising the meaning and doing away with the translation altogether...as we have done with " Buddha " and " kamma/karma "
    BhikkhuJayasara
  • Angst would be close enough.
  • I dont think so, and anyway that would need a translation too...its not English. And its not in common use in English speaking countries.
  • It's not so much the desire being the problem than it is the stress that follows along with that desire. Desire is a natural and part of being human. What is unnatural is how we react to our desire and how we stress over it as being the problem. If we take a closer look at what it is we desire, we may start to see its imperfection. When we see its imperfection, we may start to see that we're really creating hype over it. Perhaps its our deprived ego calling out to us. Either way we are the ones that is creating the stress.
    Wisdom23
    Citta said:

True... "suffering " is an inadequate translation of dukkha.

Dukkha is many-layered and many-faceted - see here:
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sacca/sacca1/index.html
  • Citta said:

I dont think so, and anyway that would need a translation too...its not English. And its not in common use in English speaking countries.

Haven't the existentialists made it popular already?
  • Erm...no. Only among the existentialists.
  • Citta said:

True... "suffering " is an inadequate translation of dukkha.

Dukkha is many-layered and many-faceted - see here:
    Nice link..
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2012
    I use this link in a basics of Buddhism class that I teach - http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sacca/sacca1/dukkha.html

most especially this part -

A contemporary definition:
    Dukkha is:

Disturbance, irritation, dejection, worry, despair, fear, dread, anguish, anxiety; vulnerability, injury, inability, inferiority; sickness, aging, decay of body and faculties, senility; pain/pleasure; excitement/boredom; deprivation/excess; desire/frustration, suppression; longing/aimlessness; hope/hopelessness; effort, activity, striving/repression; loss, want, insufficiency/satiety; love/lovelessness, friendlessness; dislike, aversion/attraction; parenthood/childlessness; submission/rebellion; decision/indecisiveness, vacillation, uncertainty.

I agree with Citta about internalizing the word and doing away with translations :) I don't say "suffering" or even "dissatisfaction" or "stress" anymore.. it's just Dukkha.
    Jayantha said:

I use this link in a basics of Buddhism class that I teach

I'd be interested to hear some more about your class, like what tradition, how you structure the time, what kind of people come along?
  • Wisdom23 said:

I think we are thinking too much.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    footiam said:

I think we are thinking too much.

You should post this at least once in almost every thread!

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2012
    how said:

I don't think it's that simple because in the suttas descriptions of dukkha ( suffering )invariably include physical pain, disease, aging etc.

One can experience amazing levels of pain with a meditative equanimity that allows it's existence but doesn't engage in a struggle against it. It remains a simple nerve response warning from body to brain that is simply pain.

The degree to which you are unable to except this pain for what it is, is the degree to which you will suffer.

To say this is too simple is to say the 4NT is too simple.
    how said:

One can experience amazing levels of pain with a meditative equanimity that allows it's existence but doesn't engage in a struggle against it. It remains a simple nerve response warning from body to brain that is simply pain.

But dukkha isn't just about physical pain, and the 4NT aren't just about a coping strategy for physical pain.
    Dukkha is all-pervasive, many-layered and many-faceted, have another look here:

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    @PedanticPorpoise
    how said:

@Wisdom23

Connecting the intellectual reading of the 4NT & 8FP with the experiential is often helped by first differentiating pain from suffering.

Where as pain is just the nervous system doing it's job, the 4NT and 8FP show that suffering is just our response to that pain and that suffering is actually optional.

Once that understanding is experienced and digested, one begins to see that it's not just pain but all stimuli (painful, neutral or pleasurable) that can result in suffering according to our attachments to them.
    So while some say that the 4NT & 8FP teachings are pretty simple,
    manifesting them gives new meaning to the definition of limitless.

I think you somehow missed a substantial part of my posting??