Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism, The Path or just more BS?

I have grown to greatly admire Buddhism over the past few months, spending much time watching Buddhist documentaries on culture aswell as actual belief, reading over 16 different books on Buddhism which is quite an investment as far as time and money, however as I dive more and more to it I keep getting stuck on things, I will notice things, but pass it and keep going hoping that it will later justify itself as my knowledge of the subject increases... I bumped into this article, while it may be a bit harsh in tone, it mentions some of the things that I myself have been pondering on, here's the link.

http://www.atheistconnect.org/2011/08/16/buddhism-path-to-enlightenment-or-just-more-bullshit/

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2012
    What I can say so far is that he falls for the typical western beginner trap by not having a good definition of the 4NT known to him.. just "suffering". He talks about the loss of his children being a short term thing.. long term or short term he still experiences dukkha because of it. He looks at the 4NT at a very shallow level.. but this has more to do with inexperience of practice rather then ignorance or a desire to bash anyone.

what was the point of Quang Duc lighting himself on fire in South Vietnam? You don’t burn to death to make a statement about nothing. Perhaps he was attached to something after all. If that’s the case, what a stupid way to die.

I agree with him on here.. lighting yourself on fire makes little to no sense in buddhist practice.

all in all he raises many arguments that are not bad, but are seen through with practice. I also applaud him for taking a moderate tone in his blog where he could of went pretty negative.
    Bunks
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    FYI, I got a malware warning from my antivirus software from that site.
    Zero
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    One has to believe what one believes. And, the author makes a few valid points that we all question.

But am I to take very seriously such a poorly written piece? And one that starts out with the premise that all religions are bull shit? That's not very objective.

I do think the author made a valid point...though I'm not sure he even realized it: there is a great deal of wisdom in Buddhism. Whether one believes all of Buddhism from the beginning, or slowly begins to respect more and more of the teachings is irrelevant. But to dismiss the teachings because you don't like religion...well, that's bull shit.
    driedleafDaftChrislobsterTosh
  • Do you practice?

Do you sit?

I can only envision your situation if the actual practice and experiential aspect of Buddhism is lacking. Scholarly and intellectual study of Buddhism is looking at the pie without even tasting it. In the realm of ideas its easy to affirm or negate. But hell sitting with suffering and then finding out how it appears and ceases. That is empowering and enlightening.

::shrugs::
    lobsterJeffreyFoibleFull
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    It is one thing to study Buddhism. It is quite another to practice it. I have studied many religions in my adult life. Buddhism is something I live. Reading books and comprehending the words is not the same as true understanding. You can't have true understanding of Buddhism without much practice.
    FoibleFull
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2012
    @JosephW thanks for the questing . . .

. . . that link is a very impoverished argument. You will find Buddhists who provide far better arguments during dharma debate . . . :)
    It is just as possible to argue that atheism is bullshit on the basis of limited experience. If you have no experience of deity (the condition of most religious people) then your arguments are ignorant. If however you are a Gnostic, the certainties and assertions of atheism are puerile, compared to the actual taste of 'presence'.
    Some Buddhists transcend presence and absence as just another form of ignorance arising . . .

If you have never experienced the unsatisfactory Dukkha or been satisfied with materialism, good luck to you. It works for Paris Hilton . . . Do we have compassion for her latest pink Chihuahua Dharma . . .
    :)
    relay
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Just try meditation and soak in the vibes. I think so. Open the airway and see if you feel breath and a pulse.
    Sile
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited December 2012
    read the link provided above by JosephW.

i am a Hindu and I have been studying Buddha's teachings for nearly one year now.

i am not a Buddhist - by religion.

but when i read the above article in the link provided above, it seems to me that the writer of that article does not seem to have got the actual meaning of Buddha's teachings.

My understanding of Buddha's teachings says that - Buddha taught - dukkha, its origination, its cessation, the path leading to its cessation. Dukkha means unsatisfactoriness, the sense of something lacking, something missing in things to give everlasting happiness. It becomes obvious as when the material things are themselves impermanent, how can they give permanent happiness to us. moreover, everything arises due to its causes arising and ceases due its causes ceasing. All conditioned things are impermanent, unsatisfactory and not-self.

now coming to practical life - we live in society and work to earn money - but why do we earn money? - because we have to buy food - why is that? - because we have to sustain this human body - so to sustain this human body, we need food, is this not a form of suffering? we do not feel it as suffering because we are in deep attachment with ourselves, with the 'I' concept. we are in so deep craving to this sense of 'I', that we work hard to maintain this body - but we enjoy working, being active - because from material world perspective, it gives us many things like - money(to buy food, nice clothes to look handsome) , praise in the society(that we are intelligent, hard-working, proactive), status in society - but when we get criticism and blame in society, do we suffer or not? - we suffer because that 'I' has been challenged - then we try to prove that we are the best by showing others are not good, telling lies - why? to get that praise again - so is not suffering involved here? - the suffering is here, but we do not feel it as we keep on waiting for the future in which our ego gets satisfied. But in the end of our life, we die - then is any of these things - money, praise, status - goes with us? it does not go with us, because these things are related to the body, and the body does not belong to us.

but this does not mean we should commit suicide to end our lives. we have got this human birth, which is the best birth from spiritual angle and even if we leave this spiritual angle, from normal worldly view also this human birth is the best - because the faculties of logic and reasoning are not available in other animal births. so we should try to make the best use of our human birth, and try to avoid bad karma and try to do good karma, for the welfare of ourselves and others - thereby cultivating morality (sila) in us, we should try to see the ignorance (avidya) in our deluded mind and try to do meditation to develop concentration(samadhi) to develop wisdom(panna) - to see things as 'just they are' and thereby seeing that things have the three characteristics of anicca, dukkha and anatta.

may the writer of that thread understand Buddha's teachings and see the things as 'just they are'.

metta to all sentient beings.
    Jeffreyrelay
  • While like the others here I totally disagree with the writer, and see the problem as the writer having only a nodding acquaintence as to what Buddhism actually means, that does not mean I do not understand where the man is coming from.

The First Noble Truth doesn't say "Life is Suffering" and then go on to say we should sever our emotional ties to the world so we can all sit around in a blissful enlightenment. Yes, we can put a lot of blame on Hollywood loving the stereotype of the wise monk who doesn't feel grief or doubt or fear. But, this "don't worry, be happy" version of Buddha Nature is the face often presented to outsiders, so can we blame someone when they point out the Emperor looks somewhat naked? And, can we really say it's not how many Buddhists define enlightenment?

So where does this man get such an idea from, that Buddhist practice is supposed to eliminate all grief, anger, fear and frustration from our minds? If so, then our practice fails us miserably from an outsider's perspective. To an outsider, it seems like we're condemning the experience of being human. And when he sees a Buddhist monk committing suicide and being praised by other Buddhists, he sees the hypocricy between our supposed nonviolence and reverence for all life and supposed detachment from desires, and how much we can devalue the life of one dead monk. I'm not saying there isn't something deeper going on, just pointing out what people see from the outside.
    FoibleFull
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Cinorjer said:

So where does this man get such an idea from, that Buddhist practice is supposed to eliminate all grief, anger, fear and frustration from our minds?

I thought that was the point of practice?

Jeffrey
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited December 2012

Cinorjer said:

So where does this man get such an idea from, that Buddhist practice is supposed to eliminate all grief, anger, fear and frustration from our minds?

We're supposed to eliminate selfish desires. That can be rolled up into the statement, "I desire the world to be something it isn't." To comprehend your Buddha Nature doesn't mean to stop being human. It is our selfish desire not to ever feel grief that causes Dukkha, not the grief that comes and goes. The ones you love are going to die. The price of loving is to grieve when faced with the loss of the ones you love, but the grief controls us because we clutch that love to us as something we possess.

If that is where you begin, then detachment means to stop loving, because that's the only way not to experience loss. Anyone who claims they experience no grief from the loss of someone they love either lost their ability to love or learned how to pretend real good.

It's the same with the whole range of human experience. I can't really get closer to describing the difference, only say pain is as much a part of life as pleasure. It's what makes us human. Detachment means not to cling to either one but to let it come and go, experience what being human means and continue walking.

But I'm aware a lot of this is my Zen speaking. Let's approach it another way, by looking at Buddha. When some women shaved their heads and made a pilgrimage to see him and begged to be allowed to become his disciples, he refused. He was afraid it would create strife among his existing monks, since they had very macho views on who deserved to be disciples. Only his attendant, Ananda, argued and pleaded with Buddha to change his mind. Eventually, with doubts about how it would work out, the Buddha agreed. And it did turn out to be a failed effort at women's equality, since after Buddha's death, Ananda was put on trial by the other monks for doing this and eventually the order of nuns was abolished.

Is this the action of someone without fear, doubt, or frustration? Buddha was enlightened, but still very much human.

• GuiGui Veteran
    The Path or just more BS? I have been practicing Buddhism for many years and from time to time, I ask myself the same question.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited December 2012
    That is an extremely superficial critique of Buddhism. The author does not have any understanding of the real meaning of Buddhism. The arguments he makes are strawman arguments. So this article is critiquing not Buddhism, but the authors own mistaken ideas of it.
    BhanteLuckyDaftChrislobster
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Cinorjer said:

...and eventually the order of nuns was abolished.

I thought It was never abolished. Where do you get this from?
    The Mahayana have had nuns since the beginning, and still do.
    Theravada lost the Bhikkuni lineage when the Ayutthaya kingdom of Siam got rid of all monastics for political reasons, and started afresh with a new bunch (excluding women) some time between the eleventh and thirteenth centuries.
    edited December 2012

Cinorjer said:

Theravada lost the Bhikkuni lineage when the Ayutthaya kingdom of Siam got rid of all monastics for political reasons, and started afresh with a new bunch (excluding women) some time between the eleventh and thirteenth centuries.
    Yes, this isn't factually correct. The Theravada bhikkhuni sangha wasn't abolished, it simply died out, probably somewhere between the 11th and 13th century due to a number of conditions (e.g., general decline of women ordaining, lack of support, gender inequalities, wars, etc.).
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited December 2012
    I have no issue with Buddhist Atheism or Secular Buddhism, or Atheism in general; but I'm sick of this "I know I'm right and you are all ignorant, superstitious idiots" type of Atheism.
    I've been dying to tear Buddhism apart
    Why? Why do you want or even need to?

Is it because of the evil that is done in the name of religion? Religion in and of itself is not the sole reason of why bad stuff happens in the world. People are the ones behind the bad stuff in the world; and people are complex animals filled with greed, anger, pride and desire. Yes, religion is sometimes the true reason why some people have done terrible things, but the complexities of their human condition are usually the true reason with religion as a facade.

"I want to seal these native peoples land. Even though I do believe God wants me to spread his word, there is a huge huge political aspect of claiming land for my king and queen so they can have more territory to rule for themselves."

Just the notion that Atheism is absolutely right and everything else, including Buddhism, is for idiots just, frankly, pisses me off. Delving slightly off-topic, Atheists have burden of proof on themselves as well; not just religious people. Many have given explanations on how there can he a God-less universe (such as Hawking) and they are precise, good explanations. Some have gone as far to say that the universe did "come from nothing" and that we are here by natural chance. To me this is bullish*t. Everything has a beginning; nothing can "come from nothing" and be a valid explanation. Eventually, if you go back far enough beyond the beginning moment, there was a moment of singularity that jump-started it. There was something before we were here. Maybe not "God", but something.

End rant. As far as I'm concerned, the writer of this article has no idea of what Buddhism is and is just another Hitchens or Dawkins wannabe.

vinlyn
  • I have very little to add to these great comments, I just wanted to share a quote from the book I've been reading:

Buddha’s teachings suggest that preoccupation with certain beliefs and ideas about the ultimate nature of the world and our destiny in fact hinders our progress along the path rather than helping it. If we insist on working out exactly what to believe about the world and human destiny before beginning to follow the path of practice we will never even set out.

Gethin, Rupert (1998-07-16). The Foundations of Buddhism (Opus) (pp. 65-66). Oxford University Press. Kindle Edition.

I'm very new to Buddhism, I started attending a temple last February, and became a member in April. When I took my Jukai I still had a huge list of doubts, questions, and concerns, but I also had a feeling that I had found my spiritual home. I took comfort in the words of the Buddha that tell us to "be our own light" and I jumped in head first.

I'm going to agree that study and practice should be ballanced as much as possible and they are both important to following the path. These past few months I have had to constantly challenge my western Judeo-Christian mind-set over, and over. I have had to suspend my disbelief and shock at statements made by the founder my my order, and I have also been freed of much of the baggage I was clinging too before I started. I guess I'm just trying to offer some encoragement. I didn't find what I was expecting, but what I found was better than what I was expecting.
    Deepankar
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012
    I think that some Buddhists have walked straight into that reaction by declaring themselves superior to Theists..and they have drawn the attention of some militant Atheists to themselves by so doing.
    Until recently militant secularists have given Buddhism a relatively easy ride.. there is evidence that this is changing..
    A militant atheist does not distinguish between belief in God and belief in post mortem rebirth.
    ecdrewello1lobster
    seeker242 said:

That is an extremely superficial critique of Buddhism. The author does not have any understanding of the real meaning of Buddhism. The arguments he makes are strawman arguments. So this article is critiquing not Buddhism, but the authors own mistaken ideas of it.

And, as clearly a committed atheist, his goal is to tear down any religion. If he discovered tomorrow that there definitely was "one true religion" (whichever one it happened to be), he would still fight against it.

Citta said:

I think that some Buddhists have walked straight into that reaction by declaring themselves superior to Theists..and they have drawn the attention of some militant Atheists to themselves by so doing.
    Until recently militant secularists have given Buddhism a relatively easy ride.. there is evidence that this is changing..
    A militant atheist does not distinguish between belief in God and belief in post mortem rebirth.

This is a shame, but not surprising I guess, declaring yourself anything is dangerous

Remember the Buddha taught of three conciets... I am better then, I am worse then, I am equal to.
  • Cinorjer said:

Abolished was probably not the correct term. Hostility, overt or otherwise, to nuns as an organized Sangha with their own lineage and contribution to the Dharma was doomed as soon as the nunnaries were made entirely subservient to and placed under the order of the monks. Where is the voice of the enlightened nuns in the sutras? They were not even allowed to have their voices heard.

Being allowed the scraps is not exactly the same as being accepted at the table.
    Cinorjer said:

Cinorjer said:

Abolished was probably not the correct term. Hostility, overt or otherwise, to nuns as an organized Sangha with their own lineage and contribution to the Dharma was doomed as soon as the nunnaries were made entirely subservient to and placed under the order of the monks. Where is the voice of the enlightened nuns in the sutras? They were not even allowed to have their voices heard.

Being allowed the scraps is not exactly the same as being accepted at the table.
    i dunno if by sutras you mean Mahayana works or all works.. But I can name at least one arahant bhikunni from the Palo texts... Patachara who lost her whole family in one day. She is a personal favorite of mine. Also if I'm not mistaken there is a whole book of suttas in the tipitaka that has Bhikunnis writings in it no?

While many rules when looked at through today's lens lead some to say oh the nuns were subsurviant.... Try to view the creation of the Bhikunnis for the amazing thing it was 2600 years ago
  • Jayantha said:

Cinorjer said:

Cinorjer said:

i dunno if by sutras you mean Mahayana works or all works.. But I can name at least one arahant bhikunni from the Palo texts... Patachara who lost her whole family in one day. She is a personal favorite of mine. Also if I'm not mistaken there is a whole book of suttas in the tipitaka that has Bhikunnis writings in it no?

While many rules when looked at through today's lens lead some to say oh the nuns were subsurviant.... Try to view the creation of the Bhikunnis for the amazing thing it was 2600 years ago
    Oh, I don't expect such a male dominated society to welcome women's liberation with open arms. I have to say that for the time and culture, it probably was a miracle Ananda managed to talk the Buddha into allowing women within viewing distance of the men.

I'm not overly familiar with women's role in the Sangha, because in the traditions I read about, they're almost entirely absent. Japanese and Korean culture with their Zen practice is even more male dominated than Theravadan. At least until recently.

• @Cinorjer, there was an order of nuns in succession until they were all killed by Muslim invaders.
    edited December 2012
    Cinorjer said:

Not sure what you're talking about, @Cinorjer. While their stories may not be as numerous as those of monks, they most certainly do have their voice in the Suttas. For example, in the Samyutta Nikaya, there's the Bhikkhuni-samyutta. There's also an entire section of the Khuddaka Nikaya devoted to the poems of early nuns recounting their struggles and accomplishments on the path called the Therigatha. And scattered throughout the rest of the Canon, one can find portrayals of nuns as skilled practitioners and teachers (e.g., MN 44).
    lobster
    Cinorjer said:

Jayantha said:

Cinorjer said:

Cinorjer said:

Oh, I don't expect such a male dominated society to welcome women's liberation with open arms. I have to say that for the time and culture, it probably was a miracle Ananda managed to talk the Buddha into allowing women within viewing distance of the men.

I'm not overly familiar with women's role in the Sangha, because in the traditions I read about, they're almost entirely absent. Japanese and Korean culture with their Zen practice is even more male dominated than Theravadan. At least until recently.

tis true with some exceptions.... But i think it has more to do with culture rather then Buddhism itself.
    I'm surprised about Zen considering there can be female reverand types no?

• genkaku said:

I had hoped the article might be more thoughtful: Calling Buddhism bullshit strikes me as quite useful ... but it goes beyond the intellectual and emotional. It's like a discussion of music between two people who have read a lot of books about playing the piano without ever having placed their fingers on the keys.

After reading the article, I find your analogy to be spot on.
    ^ My only caution here is that cannot we be critical of something without personally experiencing it?

Can I not be critical of murder?
    Of child molestation?
    Of a religious cult?
  • chariramacharirama Veteran
    edited December 2012
    ^ You may certainly be critical of such things even though you have not experienced them.

As with everything in life, there is a deeper understanding that comes with experience.

I am both a practicing Buddhist and a practicing musician. When I learned music theory as a child I could use the terminology and do the math but I see it much differently now having been a performer for several decades.

The article in question seems to be written by someone who has learned the terminology but does not understand it at the most fundamental level.
    lobster
  • Well, trust me, I am not some random guy coming in with little knowledge posting material to get you guys fired up... I just posted an article that points out a few point I wondered about when I had just started learning about Buddhism, things that I had skipped hoping it would become clear later, this is not where I am, I wasn't calling anything bullshit, and I know the article can come off as somewhat arrogant, it just had some views that crossed my mind aswell, I am not on the same page as this guy.
    DaftChris
  • @Cinorjer, I do agree with your assessment there's a good book called the Women of the Way by a Soto Zen nun who's name escapes me. While you *can* find stories and inputs from women in Buddhism, they were offent burried and finding named women in Buddhist liniages is far more difficult than for the men. Even in modern Japan, the author describes the difficult she had ordaining and how there aren't facilities for women at some Japanese Soto Zen temples. Maybe this is something that we can collectivly address in the modern era? :)

@JosephW, I understand where you come from bringing this article up because it's good to question and get different perspectives. This guy seems to really be a gnostic atheist... and anytime we say that we "know" something that means we're going to look the other way when we see other evidence. That's what I love about Buddhism, we're allowed to look at new evidence and work it into our practice. :)
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    The link is to a piece written by someone who really doesn't have a clue about Buddhism.
    But that's normal ... understanding Buddhism comes from inside, as the natural result of your meditations and other practices.
    Because Buddhism is something you DO, and no amount of reading will help you understand.
    The big problem is that it takes years to even start to get a dribble of understanding. Or rather, you say "Ah, hah! I think I understand this!". But then 5 years later you are laughing at what you THOUGHT you understood because now that you understand better, you wonder how you ever thought you understood 5 years back.
    Then this gives you real pause about what you now "think" you understand, and after a while you stop trying so hard to understand and just start "being" more. In itself, this turns life into a wonderfully fascinating and amusing curiosity, and it becomes less and less of some sort of drama.
    Because Buddhism is not about intellectual activity .. it's about understanding through observation and awareness.

While a teacher is the best way to learn HOW to practice, this book can substitute for a teacher if you are going to practice Theravadan Buddhism (which is the only tradition of Buddhism that doesn't stress having a teacher). You don't have to spend money buying books, as they won't help much. You have to DO Buddhism, not read about it. This link below is for a book that is a "how to" for mindfulness meditation, and is very well-written. There is also the "theory" in there, for those who are hungry to feed their intellect.
    http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html

Best to you on your journey :)
    lobsterTosh
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

Cinorjer said:

The practice does not actually eliminate grief, anger, etc.
    What it does is to "unhook" us from them ... they continue to occur, but they do not push us, do not control us.
    I read about an interview with the Dalai Lama, in which he recounted a tour he took of a Catholic monastery where they made cheese and fruitcake to support the monastery. At the end of the tour, they had given the Dalai Lama a piece of cheese to sample.
    In the interview, he exclaimed, "But what I REALLY wanted was the fruitcake!!" and broke into the giggle he has.
    You see ... he saw the desire for the fruitcake ... and was amused by it. Not upset.
    Jeffrey
    Cinorjer said:

Cinorjer said:

We're supposed to eliminate selfish desires. That can be rolled up into the statement, "I desire the world to be something it isn't."
    But basically the 4 Noble Truths are about suffering and the end of suffering. Wanting and not wanting is only one aspect of ( mental ) suffering.
  • Cinorjer said:

Cinorjer said:

We're supposed to eliminate selfish desires. That can be rolled up into the statement, "I desire the world to be something it isn't."
    But basically the 4 Noble Truths are about suffering and the end of suffering. Wanting and not wanting is only one aspect of ( mental ) suffering.
    Sound like a good way to look at it. I've been practicing Buddhism for going on forty years now, and there is no end to plumbing the depths of the Noble Truths. Like everyone, I started off wanting to be happy, then began to realize it was the wanting to be happy that might be part of the problem. Then I worked on the wanting part for a while, then took a hard look at the happy side. Now? I have grandkids sleeping over that expect Granddad to cook breakfast this morning. I'll work on the happy part later when I listen to the Zen of Spongebob Squarepants along with them.

"If you think your practice is going good, it isn't." Master Seung Sahn
    lobster
    Cinorjer said:

Cinorjer said:

Cinorjer said:

Sound like a good way to look at it. I've been practicing Buddhism for going on forty years now, and there is no end to plumbing the depths of the Noble Truths. Like everyone, I started off wanting to be happy, then began to realize it was the wanting to be happy that might be part of the problem. Then I worked on the wanting part for a while, then took a hard look at the happy side.
    I've been looking closely in meditation at the whole wanting/not wanting thing, and what I sense beneath that is tanha, craving, which is deep-seated and mostly an unconscious instinct. And we know that tanha is the cause of suffering.
    I've found it helpful to work with strategies like accepting things as they are, and "letting go", but I suspect that the real value of these strategies is developing insight rather than some superficial change of attitude.

It does eventually.

seeker242
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2012
    @PedanticPorpoise, some traditions focus on tanha as the cause of suffering and some focus on ignorance - avidya.
    edited December 2012

Cinorjer said:

What it does is to "unhook" us from them ... they continue to occur, but they do not push us, do not control us.
    I read about an interview with the Dalai Lama, in which he recounted a tour he took of a Catholic monastery where they made cheese and fruitcake to support the monastery. At the end of the tour, they had given the Dalai Lama a piece of cheese to sample.
    In the interview, he exclaimed, "But what I REALLY wanted was the fruitcake!!" and broke into the giggle he has.
    You see ... he saw the desire for the fruitcake ... and was amused by it. Not upset.

if by practice you mean the fruition of the practice, Nibbana, then yes it does eliminate grief and anger.. which have the root cause of aversion and nibbana is the eradication of greed, hatred, and delusion ( attachment, aversion, ignorance).. if there is no you to feel grief over a loss or anger and you truely know through wisdom that all things are impermenant.. then grief and anger don't exist
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    ATHEIST CONNECT QUOTE: Buddhism may very well be ahead of its time, but in today’s society the fundamental basics ask man to avoid his most basic evolutionary function–desire. It’s what made man man. Without the constant pursuit of knowledge, understanding, and stuff; Homo erectus would heave perished in the African Plains. In today’s society, we’ve held a magnifying glass to that desire. I’m not going to bitch about it because I am sitting in an air-conditioned room, listening to music, and writing an article about absolutely nothing on my own computer. And this is a perfect transition into the first of the Four Noble Truths.

I think the notion that desire is humanity's most basic evolutionary function or resource is quite mistaken, and would thence undermine much of editor Anthony's argument. If there is any aptitude or resource that has helped our species evolve it is that of DENIAL. In hope of a better tomorrow, the burdens and pains attending the human animal have been mitigated by refusal to admit the things that just cannot be borne. As T.S. Eliot writes in one of his 4 Quartet poems: Humankind cannot bear very much reality.

Desire and appetitite are things that are not singularly human; animals also share these. Therefore, I cannot follow his argument. However, it is only the human being that always makes his home close to de river Nile. Without the constant ability to deny, our species would long ago have perished, is what makes more sense to me.

The writer also gets desire wrong and muddles it terribly, confusing it with attachment until I cannot even follow him. The allusion to the Vietnamese monk who immolated himself back in the early 1960s and the writer's conclusion is simply not very thoughtful. To desire the greater good or to desire the wellbeing of all other creatures is a noble attachment if you must call it an attachment.

Anybody who mindlessly believes carrying a separate ego around in a body subject to the pull of gravity, sickness, loneliness, and injury and yet whose life cannot be alluded to as one containing suffering— well, I can't finish my sentence
    ARGHHH!
  • edited December 2012
    "what was the point of Quang Duc lighting himself on fire in South Vietnam? You don’t burn to death to make a statement about nothing. Perhaps he was attached to something after all. If that’s the case, what a stupid way to die.

I agree with him on here.. lighting yourself on fire makes little to no sense in buddhist practice."

My interpretation is that Quang Duc believed that sacrificing himself in public would draw attention to the suffering of the people in Vietnam and thus help to alleviate it. A noble act.

Just the thoughts of a struggling novice.............

Sile
    howarda said:

"what was the point of Quang Duc lighting himself on fire in South Vietnam? You don’t burn to death to make a statement about nothing. Perhaps he was attached to something after all. If that’s the case, what a stupid way to die.

I agree with him on here.. lighting yourself on fire makes little to no sense in buddhist practice."

My interpretation is that Quang Duc believed that sacrificing himself in public would draw attention to the suffering of the people in Vietnam and thus help to alleviate it. A noble act.

so then it is ok for us to use killing if the act is noble ?:P and who defines what is noble.
    Jayantha said:

howarda said:

so then it is ok for us to use killing if the act is noble ?:P and who defines what is noble.
    Agreed, Jayantha...or another way of putting it -- do the ends justify the means?

• Isn't there a story that the Buddha in a previous incarnation allowed himself to be eaten by a starving female tiger so that she might be abve to nourish her cub? Sounds to me like sacrificing oneself to save another.

"so then it is ok for us to use killing if the act is noble ?:P"
    I don't see sacrificing yourself to save another as killing. Although I'm a pacifist, I can see, in a time of duress, where one might make the decision to kill someone to save others.

"and who defines what is noble."
    I think we must each search our own hearts to find what is noble.

"do the ends justify the means?"
    Not to me.
    However, I do believe that I will pay the price for the means whatever the ends may be.
    Sile
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Jayantha said:

howarda said:

It is the mind that defines which is noble, but some acts are not noble. This is where the path of the Bodhisattva comes into being, Bodhisattva's are not fully enlightened yet but every action they perform is with the intention to fully benefit all sentient beings to become a Buddha. Now if such a being with a qualified intention performs a negative action as Buddha did when he was a Bodhisattva long in the past although the action is negative it is performed with a pure intention and thus propels one forward to gain the intended result of enlightenment.

Only Buddha's have the actual wisdom to never need to engage in Non virtue even if to benefit others. Buddha's mind is pure and refined free from obscuration and always see's the best course of action to take.

The life or death/greater good question is where the path of the strict Renunciant's cannot tread But that of which the Mahayana provides answers.
    Jeffrey
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2012
    You're not supposed to give the gift of your body until you are on the higher bhumis of the bodhisattva path according to the Jewel Ornament of Liberation.
    edited December 2012
    howarda said:

Isn't there a story that the Buddha in a previous incarnation allowed himself to be eaten by a starving female tiger so that she might be abve to nourish her cub?

Yes, it's from the Vyaghri Jataka, a Mahayana Jataka tale.
  • The fact that he could set himself on fire and sit motionless and silent while his flesh burned tells me that Quang Duc had achieved a level well beyond most and had made his decision after much mediitation. I don't presume to have the spiritual maturity to judge his actions.
    FlorianSileMaryAnne
    howarda said:

The fact that he could set himself on fire and sit motionless and silent while his flesh burned tells me that Quang Duc had achieved a level well beyond most and had made his decision after much mediitation. I don't presume to have the spiritual maturity to judge his actions.

That most likely comes from concentration(the ability to withstand pain I mean)... not necessarily wisdom. I'm also quite sure no one here judges him directly, but the concept of doing that action in the first place, since it has been happening as of late.