Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What do you believe buddhism has that 'other' philosophies havent?

For me, buddhism is a cool philosophy!

But another which i think is awesome is STOICISM
(Stoics believe that happiness can only be achieved when we live in accordance with nature and 'accept' things as they are!!

It reminds me of zen and taoism!!

So what are your thoughts? X

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2012
    pragmatism...

prag·ma·tism [prag-muh-tiz-uh m] Show IPA
    noun
    character or conduct that emphasizes practicality.
    a philosophical movement or system having various forms, but generally stressing practical consequences as constituting the essential criterion in determining meaning, truth, or value.

also that it is an exoteric teaching.. there is nothing hidden.. you see it all through your own practice.. your own experiential wisdom... there is nothing else like this.
    Invincible_summerDandelion
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    No obligations.
    Just self-imposed discipline.
    zombiegirlDaltheJigsawDandelion
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Philosophy is what you think.
    Buddhism is who you really are.
    FoibleFullInvincible_summer
  • zenmyste said:

(Stoics believe that happiness can only be achieved when we live in accordance with nature and 'accept' things as they are!!

Sitting under a tree to meditate does not seem like living in accordance to nature. Many people don't do that naturally. Probably Buddha is not very happy since he sits under a tree to meditate and elsewhere, too.
    Buddhism probably then does not have happiness like other religions.
    DaltheJigsaw
  • Dependent origination.
    person
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    a unique spelling!
    pommesetorangesInvincible_summer
  • Truth
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    A path or practice I guess. Most philosophies don't include a practice or course of action.
  • Buddhism has a limitation. It is limited to the cessation of the experience of the unsatisfactory. Quite a goal for any systematic endeavour.
    What it has on the plus side is the ability to transform the nature of our being for the benefit of the individual and those around them.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2012
    footiam said:

zenmyste said:

Sitting under a tree to meditate does not seem like living in accordance to nature. Many people don't do that naturally. Probably Buddha is not very happy since he sits under a tree to meditate and elsewhere, too.
    Buddhism probably then does not have happiness like other religions.
    I think that it does, although Buddhism acknowledges two levels of happiness, worldly happiness and unworldy happiness (SN 36.31).

In terms of worldly happiness, the Buddha mentions "four kinds of bliss (or happiness)" that can be attained by a householder "partaking of sensuality" (i.e., indulging in a non-contemplative lifestyle): the bliss of having, the bliss of wealth, the bliss of debtlessness, and the bliss of blamelessness (AN 4.62). The highest happiness in Buddhism, however, is a happiness born of renunciation (Ud 2.10) and letting go (SN 35.101) rather than one born of sensual indulgence (AN 9.41).
    taiyaki
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    That it tells you to question everything, even that which is taught within Buddhism. That I am accountable to myself. That there is no notion of "I have to be good or I'll be punished!" I suppose some might consider certain things punishment but I guess I don't see it that way. The foundation is clear, and while it has many layers and can be complex, the basics of it are easy to understand and it's easy to begin to apply it.
    DaftChrislobster
  • Because you can find your mind on your death bed, but you cannot find a God that will help you out. Thus only your mind training matters though and through in life.
  • I went through a major spiritual/philosophical/religious, whatever you prefer to call it, search for about 7 years, in depth study of many different philosophies, I landed on one called the Baha'i faith, which I had always known about growing up as I am Persian and this "faith" was founded in the 1800's in Persia, so I knew of it but little, I will have to admit, I really liked the whole idea of this way of life, way of thought, mindset, culture, everything but the God part... As I, breaking away from Catholicism after 16 years - was breaking away for a reason, and that was God, I couldn't say that I believed in God anymore... When I was 16 I went way down hill in life all caused by event after event that had nothing to do with my actions, and I was (I don't mean to sound conceited) a really good kid, a very kind person, very loving, very compassionate, an all around good human being and devoted Catholic, as that was all I knew through indoctrination... However, I see I am getting a little off topic so I will stop with that but I decided when I was 16, well obviously this God that I am sooo devoted to, in an almost unusual way, especially for my age obviously does no good for me, I was tired of hearing the whole "God is just testing you", so I decided to go on my own search from scratch, and basically I ended on Buddhism, which was my second to last study of about 12 different philosophies because:

I practiced it, I saw results... Result after result, problem after problem, fixed, through my own doing based on what I would learn and read through Buddhism, action is what it is all about, action and I can say (I usually don't make promises) but after what I got through, it was not just something that may have happened regardless of action, it was because of what I learned from Buddhism and applying that to my daily life... I have never through those, promise, Buddhism works... Whether Siddhartha Gautama was a real person, I don't know, whether these somewhat outlandish claims of rebirth and reincarnation and realms are true, I don't know, but what I do know, is that someone had to come up with this absolutely beautiful way of life, and this beautiful way of life saved my life that I was so innocently drug into and I am forever grateful to Buddhism aswell as the followers of it...
    lobsterkarastiDaftChrisInvincible_summer
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Oh yeah I have heard a bit about stoicism and it does seem to have some similarities with Buddhism and what I have heard of it seems to be fairly sensible and make sense, I would love to learn more about Confucianism and Taoism
    DaftChris
  • Thank you for sharing.
  • Thank you for sharing.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    Buddhism isn't a philosophy. It is something you do.

I would no more call figure skating a philosophy than I would call Buddhism a philosophy. Both take constant practice and dedication, both take a long time to master, and both benefit from the guidance of an experienced skilled coach.
    Especially a coach who would tell you it's not a philosophy.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Millions see Buddhism as a philosophy. If that perspective works for them, what's wrong with it?
    Millions? Are you sure about that?
  • We have better assholes . . .
    I guess we need to sit on them . . . It's the friendly thing to do? :om:
    cazBeejkarasti
    Nevermind said:

You're right. Maybe it's only hundreds of thousands. The point remains.

• Buddhism offers a specific insight that is approached in a systematic way.

The insight is how suffering is constructed.

Once that insight is seen then one can understand how suffering is unconstructed.

Then there is a whole path dedicated to that specific insight and integration of that insight into life.

There is nothing like Buddhism in that respect. It is clear, very straightforward and very pragmatic.

I'd even say not even metaphysical at its heart. It deals with the simple, basic problem of suffering and nothing more at its heart.

Everything else becomes the support to help to consolidate this specific knowledge that then is applied via mind and body.
    JeffreyInvincible_summer
    vinlyn said:

Nevermind said:

The point remains, but shields are down by 90%. "Scotty, divert power from life support!"
    Nevermind said:

vinlyn said:

Nevermind said:

The point remains, but shields are down by 90%. "Scotty, divert power from life support!"
    You're getting wrapped up in numbers, rather than the point.

Okay, you wanna criticize numbers? Your 90% comment is not accurate.

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Buddhist ethics has no match, full stop.
    It would follow that the lives of all creatures are put on the same plane of value, full stop.

Next, in a Buddhist economic system, world ecology would not suffer the rape and torture of things like wars, strip mining, and many pitfalls of mass-marketing.

I'd begin with these three, although admittedly the first that I mentioned is predicated on the second.

vinlyn said:

Nevermind said:

vinlyn said:

Nevermind said:

Is it possible to even get close to accurate?

Less than 1 million, and there are 7 billion people in the world.

Nevermind said:

vinlyn said:

Nevermind said:

vinlyn said:

Nevermind said:

No substance = no comment.

• practice.
    vinlyn said:

Nevermind said:

vinlyn said:

Nevermind said:

vinlyn said:

Nevermind said:

No substance = no comment.

That's not exactly accurate either. :p
    Back to the OP's question:

FRIENDLINESS?????????
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    heh. Buddhism has an "exit strategy".
    NirvanaJeffreySabby

Buddhism has an "exit strategy".

Not only Awesome, but funny, too!

BeejJeffrey
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Simple..."It works for me."
  • zenmyste said:

I would like to think that it gives man his dignity.
  • Don't know.

(Everyone else seems to claim some *knowledge* about the universe. When facts contradict that knowledge, then trouble. In Buddhism, it is ok not to know)
    lobster
  • Buddhism gives us a clear and easy to understand and practice set of teachings and path or way to follow. But I have found great wisdom, humility, insight, joy and compassion in and among Christians, Muslims, Jains, Yogis, etc. I have thought, is it the path or the faith and devotion to the way that one lives and practices? I lived, worked and travelled in Asia for 24 years and was around Buddhist cultures, environments, societies, people and countries for almost all of that time.....I saw and experienced corruption, back-biting, gossip and people who habitually placed hindrances in the way of others on a daily basis. It is, in my opinion, a matter of knowing and practicing the teachings of whatever way one wishes to and as long as one is not legalistic, or demonizing of and condemning of other religions, ways and paths, there is no problem. I think that there may be a time when we do not think of the teachings of Christianity or Buddhism or Raja Yoga, etc. as being the best way or the only way but that all religions and ways have merits. I think we can get to a point where we can rejoice in the insights and wisdom that all men can share with us. If we can just see such a thing and see and listen to others with an open heart and mind, well, maybe that is what The Buddha and Jesus always wanted from us in the first place......
    vinlynJeffreylobsterFlorian
  • Funnily enough, Stoicism was largely my own philosophical detour I took last year, which I explored quite thoroughly. I agree with Jason above, that where Buddhism goes further than Stoicism is in dependent co-arising and no-self. Whereas Stoic ontology, if you will, is monist, (Mahayana) Buddhist 'ontology' goes further with the practice of nonduality.

The model for Stoic psychology is one of separation between 'the things within my control' and 'the things not in my control'--in which an independently existing 'self' is strongly asserted. Now, as 'un-Buddhist' as that may sound, the goal is actually one which, in effect, leads to a sense of 'letting go'--which leads to apatheia --which does not mean anything like the modern word 'apathy' but something akin to non-abiding. The method of Stoicism is radically different from Buddhism, and but underneath all these apparent differences, Stoicism is quite similar to Buddhism!

Seneca's writings especially served as a great comfort to me last year and was helpful to me in regaining some momentum in my own journey. Stoicism helped me to re-focus and I will always be grateful for what great provisions Seneca, Epictetus and Marcus Aurelius provided me in restoring my direction in life. I think of Stoicism as a temporary bridge that was very useful--and in a way, helped me to better understand Buddhism.

For understanding Stoicism in greater depth, Pierre Hadot and John Sellars both have written some excellent studies on the subject (as well as Epicurean and other Greco-Roman schools of philosophy).

/\
    Jason
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    zenmyste said:

Taoism and Zen for sure!
  • Buddhism isn't a philosophy. It is something you do.

I would no more call figure skating a philosophy than I would call Buddhism a philosophy. Both take constant practice and dedication, both take a long time to master, and both benefit from the guidance of an experienced skilled coach.
    Especially a coach who would tell you it's not a philosophy.

Just to leap in on Vinyl's behalf...

Buddhism is a philosophy and a well developed one. This can be stated without proviso. It is also a metaphysical position, a religion, a practice and a science of mind. These things are not mutually exclusive. But yes, it is not not merely a philosophy. Mind you, in defence of philosophy, at its best a philosophy is something you do, if you are a genuine philosopher in the old-fahioned sense.

It seems to me that the greatest mistake that a philosopher can make is to assume that Buddhism is not a philosophy, or cannot be expressed as a philosophy. Then we end up with the complete mess that we call 'western' philosophy, which is essentially a massive communal endeavour to prove the truth of some other philosophy than Buddhism's and thus doomed to endless confusion and eternal failure.

It should be more widely recognised that Buddhism solves all well-known problems of philosophy. At least 'scientific' consciousness studies would finally have a solution for the 'hard' problem. Also, by seeing it as a philosophy we are better able to reconise its kinship with Taoism, Sufism, Stoicism etc,. since we will be less distracted by superficial differences in ritual, practice, language etc etc..

Don't sell Buddhism short. It is a medicine with a very wide range of applications.
    chelariverflow
  • Emptyness is form. Form is emptyness.
    Never found that one back in other filosofies.
  • karasti said:

That it tells you to question everything, even that which is taught within Buddhism. That I am accountable to myself. That there is no notion of "I have to be good or I'll be punished!" I suppose some might consider certain things punishment but I guess I don't see it that way. The foundation is clear, and while it has many layers and can be complex, the basics of it are easy to understand and it's easy to begin to apply it.

This and the lack of strict dogma, and the idea that as long as you agree with and try to follow the basic elements of the core teaching, you are "doing" Buddhism. At least where I am, nobody is telling me that I can't belong to Buddhism if I am not doing X,Y,and Z (which may as well be: stand on your head, stick out your tongue, and recite the alphabet backwards). And I appreciate that am not required to believe in some vengeful fantasy-like figure floating in space somewhere to be in the club.