Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Spiritual/Practice Journals

ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
A friend recently recommended that I write a blog which I am not keen on doing as I am generally quite a private person. She then suggested keeping a diary or journal of my practice, for which I really just don't understand the need. However I am always open to new experiences so I may give this a go but I would be interested to see if anyone out there keeps a spiritual or practice diary, journal or whatever you want to call it and what on earth do you put in it? I know some people like to keep track of the minutes they spend on the meditation cushion but to what purpose? Is there any great benefit to outweigh the danger of ego building?

Comments

• RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran
    Is there any great benefit to outweigh the danger of ego building?
    A good point and a good question.
  • It depends on the intent. I'll assume you are a potential Buddha rather than a warped and distorted caricature like me . . .
    By stating any arisings, insights, questions etc, you will be able to understand where you are, where to go and where you have been . . . depending on when you read and right [sic] . . . still working on my blog. I find it useful . . .
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Down in the basement where I live, there are stacks of 'journals' I once kept ... full of stuff about Zen Buddhism, my take on it at that moment, etc. I can't imagine any reason to dig them out and reread them and I can't imagine anyone else's doing so either.

At the time, I suppose it encouraged me ... something along the lines of "how do I know what I think till I see what I say?" But now it seems a bit dated. I don't see the exercise as good or bad ... do it if you like; don't if you don't. Sometimes what is written can be illuminating. Sometimes it can be dumber than a box of rocks.

As my kids might say, "what...ever!"
    MaryAnne
  • writing helps you clarify your thoughts. I keep a journal about my psychotic voices.
  • genkaku said:

Down in the basement where I live, there are stacks of 'journals' I once kept ... full of stuff about Zen Buddhism, my take on it at that moment, etc. I can't imagine any reason to dig them out and reread them and I can't imagine anyone else's doing so either.

At the time, I suppose it encouraged me ... something along the lines of "how do I know what I think till I see what I say?" But now it seems a bit dated. I don't see the exercise as good or bad ... do it if you like; don't if you don't. Sometimes what is written can be illuminating. Sometimes it can be dumber than a box of rocks.

As my kids might say, "what...ever!"

Your journals could be 'worth' alot when you Die..... You never know... I bet there are Thousands of people who would be interesting in reading your journals. (me included) i am fascinated in diaries and peoples thoughts etc etc...
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited January 2013
    I have a journal however it is not something I write in every day. This is something I write down insights and the like and also my thoughts and goals about becoming a monk. I do write in the journal every day when i'm on a retreat though.

I see no real purpose in keeping track of the minutes I meditate... that seems too much to me like trying to set goals to "achieve" something.

I also have a blog however its not really for journal purposes just for dhamma/buddhism/practice in general.
  • Sometimes what is written can be illuminating. Sometimes it can be dumber than a box of rocks.
    If you keep a journal only write what is illuminating, eventually it might fossilise but that too will be illuminating . . .
    Later on as you realise what is light, focus on enhancing that capacity or encouraging it in those like myself who are dumb as rock :rocker:

The Story of Stone Soup

Once upon a time, somewhere in post-war Eastern Europe, there was a great famine in which people jealously hoarded whatever food they could find, hiding it even from their friends and neighbors. One day a wandering soldier came into a village and began asking questions as if he planned to stay for the night.

"There's not a bite to eat in the whole province," he was told. "Better keep moving on."

"Oh, I have everything I need," he said. "In fact, I was thinking of making some stone soup to share with all of you." He pulled an iron cauldron from his wagon, filled it with water, and built a fire under it. Then, with great ceremony, he drew an ordinary-looking stone from a velvet bag and dropped it into the water.

By now, hearing the rumor of food, most of the villagers had come to the square or watched from their windows. As the soldier sniffed the "broth" and licked his lips in anticipation, hunger began to overcome their skepticism.

"Ahh," the soldier said to himself rather loudly, "I do like a tasty stone soup. Of course, stone soup with cabbage -- that's hard to beat."

Soon a villager approached hesitantly, holding a cabbage he'd retrieved from its hiding place, and added it to the pot. "Capital!" cried the soldier. "You know, I once had stone soup with cabbage and a bit of salt beef as well, and it was fit for a king."

The village butcher managed to find some salt beef . . . and so it went, through potatoes, onions, carrots, mushrooms, and so on, until there was indeed a delicious meal for all. The villagers offered the soldier a great deal of money for the magic stone, but he refused to sell and traveled on the next day.
  • Is there any great benefit to outweigh the danger of ego building?
    A good point and a good question.
    Best not ask good questions or provide good answers lest it be dangerous . . . :eek2:
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    "Your journals could be 'worth' alot when you Die..... You never know... I bet there are Thousands of people who would be interesting in reading your journals. (me included) i am fascinated in diaries and peoples thoughts etc etc..."

@zenmyste -- Former American Poet Laureate Billy Collins once made a comment on the radio that I think is on-target as far as diaries and journals go ... although it was directed at the favorite authors anyone might have.

Said Collins, "Meeting your favorite author is one of life's most reliable disappointments."
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    Meeting your favorite author is one of life's most reliable disappointments
    I think this is at the heart of my quandry, I know that nothing written will be worth reading in the light of what I know about the author. I am also a mathematician at heart and having to write words makes me nervous. Seems that many of you get somethign out of keeping a journal though so I'll give it a month and if it turns out to be complete drivel I will consign it to the flames.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    The journal should not be for any future thoughts of who is going to read it.. it should be to help you in the present moment on your path. have no worries about being nervous to write.. as a matter of fact why don't you write and when you feel nervous, observe it in the present moment and write about it!