Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is it ethical to give money to beggars?

Comments

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I'm trying to take in everything that everyone is saying about alcohol and non-judgement and all that... but it's hard for me because of my past and having an alcoholic father and all of the baggage that goes with that. Even when I was just waiting tables, I hated waiting on alcoholics because I couldn't help but wonder about their family and people who cared about them and how they hurt them. I realize it's projection, but it's honest. Smelling that certain scent of booze is like reliving my childhood.

The only thing that ever pushed my father to get sober was when he could no longer get alcohol. Like Smokey in Fried Green Tomatoes, he had a physical dependency on alcohol and that dependency forced him to have a seizure and lay face down in the snow for a half an hour before someone found him. For all that I had tried, that alone was the moment that finally made him wake up. If I or other family might have given him money for booze, he might not be sober today.

I love Fried Green Tomatoes, but I just can't understand how giving alcohol to an alcoholic can ever be considered compassionate in the long term. If you continue to supply an addict with their addiction, how can they ever get better? I realize the issue here is more like, 'what a homeless person spends their dollar on' since most people don't actually GIVE them alcohol, but at the root of the issue, this is why it bothers me specifically. I don't mean to judge alcoholics, but more than anything, I just feel sad for them. Addiction is sad. I would hate to think that I am contributing to it.
    vinlynYaskanSabbyInvincible_summer
  • Wisdom23Wisdom23 Veteran
    edited March 2013
    I walk through the city on my way in and and out of work everyday. I will maybe see one or two people who seem to be homeless each day. I went throught the whole process of thinking they'll spend it on (insert poison) lol but this thought didn't sit right with me. So i now carry a couple of coins in my pocket i reserve especially for them and i feel all the better for it which i ofcourse give them when i see them. There is one man i see frequently who only asks for a mere twenty pence, thats half a cup of tea at work. How stingy would i have to be to say no.

I once read somewhere that when we have reached buddhahood all the characteristics such as metta shouldn't need to be thpught about, it should just be a natural reaction. For example today i saw a women standing near a crossing, holding a map and sratching her head. Didnt take a genius to figure out how i could help her lol. So without even thinking too much, " Hi are you lost? where are you trying to get to?"

I would like to thank the person who started this post, it has been a subject that has been on my mind quite frequently. Thank You

All the best peoples.
    riverflowMaryAnneDaftChrislobster

• @Vinlyn

The circumstances that you describe may be commonplace where you were in Bangkok... and that is really, truly unfortunate and very sad. I'm sure we would all be shocked to encounter what you had encountered there. I know I would be!

But they are extraordinary circumstances compared to most of our experiences here in the US, or in the UK or most of Europe. On our daily walks or commutes, in our neighborhoods or communities we don't see homelessness and/or begging in those numbers - not even close to those numbers.
    Even those of us who live in troubled urban areas where poverty is common, see far less homeless beggars than you saw in Bangkok. That is a given.

But it still comes down to whether you give to one beggar once, or to a few beggars on a regular basis, (or give to NO beggars because you can't afford to), the point is when you DO give - to give because a person suffers....not because he will spend that money in ways you 'approve of'.
    riverflow
  • @Zombiegirl

I also have this weird aversion to drunk people. Not to alcohol itself, but people I perceive to be 'drunk' and just on that fine line between in control and out of control.

My best friend died of alcoholism - one year ago today- as a matter of fact. :-(
    I am married to an alcoholic (sober for 17 yrs now), who comes from an entire family of alcoholics. I know first hand the damage it does to the individuals, their kids and the families as a whole. Just like we know the damage hard drug abuse does... same thing; it's devastating to everyone around the drug addicted.

Giving a drink to Smokey Joe in the movie illustrated how Idgie saw suffering, but didn't stop to question why or who's fault it was. She saw suffering and offered relief in the only way she could - by offering what would ease that person's suffering right then and there.
    Maybe it was his fate, or his "karma" to live that lifetime as a person addicted to alcohol. Does addiction make one evil? I don't believe it does. My friend wasn't evil, quite the opposite, actually. My husband isn't a bad person, either.
    Can addicted people sometimes do bad things? Of course, but so do non-addicted people, sometimes.

Maybe Smokey was an alcoholic, but still a "good person" - well actually, he was. He was a gentle man and intervened in a baby's kidnapping, put himself in harms way to do it.... should he be reviled only because people disapprove of his drinking?

zombiegirlSabby
  • I'm not saying you have to carry around a pocket full of money to shower on the beggars and panhandlers around you in order to be a good Buddhist. It's as wrong to feel guilty about not giving to someone holding their hand out, as it is to withhold a coin because you feel the beggar isn't worthy of it.

You are not obligated to spend your day giving out money to beggars. If you don't have extra to give right then, don't give. Giving everything you have to the homeless doesn't solve their problems, all it does is add one more homeless to the ranks. If you live in a country where beggars are everywhere, it's not up to you to keep their pockets filled with money. Don't feel bad about it.

Metta is the spirit of giving. You should give with as little thought as passing money from your left hand to your right hand, when the situation calls for giving. But don't confuse this spirit of giving for a demand to give. That only causes anger and resentment.
    riverflowMaryAnne
  • i think in all things we should see others as ourselves, and try to simplify
    life, someone has a need and we are able to take joy in giving we should give and be happy
    and with our giving we are filling the univerce with possitive thots
    of joy, as i chant mantras of joy to all and peace to, all i am not cocerned with how the joy is working but rather i am happy that i can send the possitive energy
    out there
    namaste
    Cozmic
    MaryAnnezombiegirl
  • I give without hesitation and without condition... I am grateful for the opportunity to assist another being.
    MaryAnne
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2013
    What this question illustrates so well for me is "what is our practise?
    In the midst of daily life, there is an outstretched hand of someone asking for something. There are as many contemplations to that request as there are people to play all the roles in that meeting.

The real teacher here is
    how you really met with that last outstretched hand, defines not the pretty ideals of ones meditation, but simply how you actually practise it.
    MaryAnne
  • I am not really sure that this really involves a value judgement over whether it's ethical to give. To me, perhaps it's more about why one would feel compelled to not give, if one is asked to help another....namely if there is a judgement cast, or ulterior motive associated with the decision to not give.

My own most common reason for not giving is completely truthful; I simply don't have any money on me. Another reason why I have not given is what I would term the aggressive nature of the individual asking - it makes me feel threatened or unsafe.

Generally, when asked and I am in a position to do so, I try to help. I don't think it's up to me to decide whether or not it will be used for good or ill. I still feel like I did something to help out a person who asked :)
    MaryAnne
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Simon never said anything of the sort. He didn't say "GIVE TO EVERYONE!" he said give what you can. If you feel evil because you didn't give enough, that is your perception, not his.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    MaryAnne said:

If you can't give help without judgement, then it's no help at all -- it's ego & control.

I think that's a bit harsh. I think for most of us there's a feeling of wanting to help but not being sure of the best way to go about it.
    But wanting to help, even if you aren't sure how, still doesn't have to require judgement. Give what you can, time, money, items, whatever. But give it freely, because once you give it, it is not yours anymore to decide how it is used.
    MaryAnne
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited March 2013
    @spinynorman

Harsh? Not from a Buddhist point of view.
    If one is handing out help, in the form of money, or food, or other material items, but expects the receiver of that help to behave in a certain way that meets with the approval of the person giving help.... that is an attempt to 'control' another or the situation.
    Much like missionaries who go to other countries to 'feed the poor' but don't necessarily feel obligated to feed those who refuse to listen to their religious lectures or convert to the Christian ways.
    That's not help- given freely for the sake of compassion - that's control. A payback system of control. And controlling others stems from ego.

Edited to add:

As far as not knowing the best way to go about helping- that is a cop out. One sees a homeless person cold and hungry in the street, what's to think about?
    Give that person a blanket or a warm jacket, give them a hot meal, or give them money for a hot meal. Sooner or later even the most addicted drunk or junkie will opt for food at some point. So either give $$ and let them decide how to soothe their own needs at the moment, or don't give at all. To say one needs to figure out the 'best way to do it' is saying one wants to control.
    SabbyStaticToybox
  • I'm more likely to pay for a senior's groceries that happens to be in line in front of me- which I have done a few times and felt really good about it when I have done it. There are a lot of people in this country just scraping by.
    MaryAnne
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I'm more likely to pay for a senior's groceries that happens to be in line in front of me- which I have done a few times and felt really good about it when I have done it. There are a lot of people in this country just scraping by.

Very nice!

I live at...

• vinlyn said:

I'm more likely to pay for a senior's groceries that happens to be in line in front of me- which I have done a few times and felt really good about it when I have done it. There are a lot of people in this country just scraping by.

Very nice!

I live at...

:)

I agree @MaryAnne.

We are such control freaks with our money, that even once it is not ours, we want to tell someone else what to do with it. Someone mentioned only given to shelters and never to those on the street. So what becomes of those who cannot get into a shelter, because it is full? Shelter are wonderful, but they cannot help everyone. I'm not saying giving to them is not worth it, it absolutely is. But it does not mean that the person who gets turned away at the door doesn't deserve anything.

I hope that one day, if I suddenly find myself homeless, that people do not look down on me with disgust, judging why I am asking for their money. I hope they don't spit on me or put their garbage in my cup. I hope they won't assume I'm looking for liquor money when I'm just looking for enough money to bring some Mcdonald's value meal burgers to my kids.

I think of it a lot like any "welfare" program. Sure, there are those who abuse it. But I'm not going to take the chance of not providing someone with something they need because of the few bad apples. Who am I to decide what they need?

I actually went through this lesson with my son. I don't always understand why he wants to do the things he does. But who am I to tell him he shouldn't? Who am I to tell him that my way of doing things is the right way? He's a different person and on a different path, and he is as deserving of compassion as I am, even if he does not do things my way.

riverflowMaryAnneSabby
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited March 2013
    karasti said:

I agree @MaryAnne.

We are such control freaks with our money, that even once it is not ours, we want to tell someone else what to do with it. Someone mentioned only given to shelters and never to those on the street. So what becomes of those who cannot get into a shelter, because it is full? Shelter are wonderful, but they cannot help everyone. I'm not saying giving to them is not worth it, it absolutely is. But it does not mean that the person who gets turned away at the door doesn't deserve anything.

I hope that one day, if I suddenly find myself homeless, that people do not look down on me with disgust, judging why I am asking for their money. I hope they don't spit on me or put their garbage in my cup. I hope they won't assume I'm looking for liquor money when I'm just looking for enough money to bring some Mcdonald's value meal burgers to my kids.

I think of it a lot like any "welfare" program. Sure, there are those who abuse it. But I'm not going to take the chance of not providing someone with something they need because of the few bad apples. Who am I to decide what they need?

I actually went through this lesson with my son. I don't always understand why he wants to do the things he does. But who am I to tell him he shouldn't? Who am I to tell him that my way of doing things is the right way? He's a different person and on a different path, and he is as deserving of compassion as I am, even if he does not do things my way.

if more people DID give to shelters they would be able to help more homeless people. It's easy to just give a few bucks to someone who is right in front of you, and when they go away you don't have to think about them anymore and never would have had you not even encountered the person.

Donating/helping a shelter is proactive as opposed to reactive.

We kind of live in a society these days where we shirk personal responsibility and think " oh the government should do it", or "someone else", until we are forced to encounter it first hand.

Also on a side note. I agree with @MaryAnne and @karasti that once you give that money, you should not expect it to be used in a way you see fit,but you will, because it's human nature to want to see your donation used "right". Its sort of like when you let someone in the lane while driving and they don't wave at you and you get a little agitated and think " ungrateful @&@" lol.

they may go and get alcohol or do something else, or if you give them a sandwich they may throw it away because they wanted money for booze, but that does not diminish the act of kindness you performed.
  • As Nasruddin emerged form the mosque after prayers, a beggar sitting on the street solicited alms. The following conversation followed:

- Are you extravagant? asked Nasruddin.

- Yes Nasruddin, replied the beggar.

- Do you like sitting around drinking coffee and smoking? asked Nasruddin.

- Yes, replied the beggar.

- I suppose you like to go to the baths everyday? asked Nasruddin.

- Yes, replied the beggar.

- ...And maybe amuse yourself, even, by drinking with friends? asked Nasruddin.

- Yes I like all those things, replied the beggar.

- Tut, Tut, said Nasruddin, and gave him a gold piece.

A few yards further on another beggar who had overheard the conversation begged for alms also.

- Are you extravagant? asked Nasruddin.

- No, Nasruddin, replied the second beggar.

- Do you like sitting around drinking coffee and smoking? asked Nasruddin.

- No, replied second beggar.

- I suppose you like to go to the baths everyday? asked Nasruddin.

- No, replied second beggar.

- ...And maybe amuse yourself, even, by drinking with friends? asked Nasruddin.

- No, I want to only live meagerly and to pray, replied the second beggar.

Whereupon the Nasruddin gave him a small copper coin.

- But why, wailed the second beggar, do you give me, an economical and pious
    man, a penny, when you give that extravagant fellow a sovereign?

Ah my friend, replied Nasruddin, his needs are greater than yours.
    riverflowVastmindMaryAnneSabby
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    MaryAnne said:

As far as not knowing the best way to go about helping- that is a cop out.

Not atall. In Buddhism there is the idea of skillful means, or compassion informed by wisdom. The world is such that there will always be a great deal of unmet need, we all have to make difficult decisions about who and how we can help. For example people chose to support particular charities, are you also condemning them for being judgemental and wanting control?
    Anyway, for me subsiding an alchoholic's continued drinking doesn't feel like skillful means. Obviously if it does to you, that's fine, but please don't impose your simplistic ideas on the rest of us.
    vinlyn
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Not MY simplistic ideas....

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/549386_456283017778647_745901877_n.jpg

I am not "condemning" anyone. Your defensiveness is a little over the top. I too give to organized charities. When one gives to charities, one gives the $$ and relinquishes control of that money to the charity - YOU TRUST they will do the best with the money.

We are talking about beggars on the street in this discussion.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    @Spinynorman
    I can't speak for "the rest of us", but in my view it is unseemly to attempt bolster your position by assuming that you have the support of the group.
    Put in the position of having to take sides at this point, I will side with the view that donations of any kind should be given then forgotten without prejudice. That is the path to kingly giving.
    It's very difficult not to be judgemental before giving but that is a flaw with the giver not a positive quality. That's the way I choose to see it in myself.
    MaryAnne
    @Jayantha I was speaking more of the area I live in. We do not have a high homeless population (largely because it's so horrible to be homeless in an area where it gets -50F at night, so they find ways to take buses and such to warmer areas). But, in the bigger cities it does happen, and the shelters do not expand because their DAILY need does not necessitate it. In the winter on the really cold nights, they cannot house everyone or feed everyone. But when it is not so cold, or even in summer when it is warm, they don't have many that spend the night or even come by for food as much. So it makes no sense for them to get more donations for the purpose of expanding because they don't need to expand. Now, I'm not saying it isn't still helpful to give donations to them, but it also is helpful to give to people who were turned away and are sleeping in parking ramp.

I don't think it has to be our nature, the things you describe. I don't get pissed when someone doesn't give me the wave or the nod. Because there have been times I couldn't do it myself and said "Crap, sorry I didn't wave!" and I hope they aren't cussing me out because I couldn't wave for whatever reason. I also don't remain attached to any money I give away, whether it's for taxes or what. I'd prefer it if I could dictate on my W4 what causes I want my taxes to go to, but it doesn't work that way. I simply have to let it go. If I had $5 to a homeless man on the street, I don't give a single second thought to what he'll do with it, or what I hope he'll do with it. So you have the choice to retrain yourself to not think in those ways.
    MaryAnne said:

Not MY simplistic ideas....

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/549386_456283017778647_745901877_n.jpg

I am not "condemning" anyone. Your defensiveness is a little over the top. I too give to organized charities. When one gives to charities, one gives the $$ and relinquishes control of that money to the charity - YOU TRUST they will do the best with the money.

We are talking about beggars on the street in this discussion.

I think you're missing @SpinyNorman's point. It's really just a matter of scale. I choose to give to a homeless person who is an amputee, but not to one who is drunk. You choose to give to (for example) Save The Children, rather than an orphanage. Either way, the person is making a value judgement -- that one person or organization is more worthy of my contribution than another.

In fact, I would say that people who don't make value judgements have no values.

BhikkhuJayasara
  • Spiny's point is he wants to justify his thought process of passing judgment on others (who are in need of help) on the street and deciding who deserves to be given any help by calling it "wisdom". I think that's a cop out. There is no wisdom in passing judgment as to who is worthy of help or not.

All human beings are worthy of respect and consideration.
    Not just the pretty ones, not just the cuddly ones, not just the sober ones....

If you CAN help a homeless/beggar, you do. If you CAN'T, you can't. If you want to pick and choose who you feel is worthy of help or not, fine. Do so.
    But don't call it "wisdom"... it's not. It's judgement. Just call it what it is.

WE ALL DO IT in some way or another. As others have said here, it's part of our flawed selves to be judgmental.
    But the idea behind Giving, Kindness and Compassion (from the Buddhist point of view) is to see this flaw of judgment for what it is - and give kindness and compassion without it. That's the lesson here. A lesson we can all learn from and apply, in some way or another, every day of our lives no doubt.

As for value judgments- well, how about we make value judgments about our OWN life and actions.... not others'.

• "So you have the choice to retrain yourself to not think in those ways. "

That about wraps it up nicely.....
    But how do you know the amputee was not drunk yesterday or will not be drunk today? We all have to make decisions because no one has enough to give to every person, every charity in need. Yes, there is some value judgment there. For example, I try to choose charities where they have lower overhead so more of the money helps people and isn't paying for a lot of other things. But it is not, on my part, a judgement of who is more worthy by any means. All people who need help are equally worthy regardless of the reasons they need help, in my mind. Someone who is homeless because her husband died and she lost their house isn't somehow "more" worthy of food and shelter than someone who is alcoholic, drug addicted, or a runaway.
    MaryAnne said:

Spiny's point is he wants to justify his thought process of passing judgment on others (who are in need of help) on the street and deciding who deserves to be given any help by calling it "wisdom". I think that's a cop out. There is no wisdom in passing judgment as to who is worthy of help or not.

All human beings are worthy of respect and consideration.
    Not just the pretty ones, not just the cuddly ones, not just the sober ones....

If you CAN help a homeless/beggar, you do. If you CAN'T, you can't. If you want to pick and choose who you feel is worthy of help or not, fine. Do so.
    But don't call it "wisdom"... it's not. It's judgement. Just call it what it is.

WE ALL DO IT in some way or another. As others have said here, it's part of our flawed selves to be judgmental.
    But the idea behind Giving, Kindness and Compassion (from the Buddhist point of view) is to see this flaw of judgment for what it is - and give kindness and compassion without it. That's the lesson here. A lesson we can all learn from and apply, in some way or another, every day of our lives no doubt.

As for value judgments- well, how about we make value judgments about our OWN life and actions.... not others'.

I was talking about this thread yesterday with a friend who regularly works at the soup kitchen here in Colorado Springs. Although the operation is affiliated with Catholic Charities, they serve anyone EXCEPT those who are drunk or on drugs or who are showing signs of being violent.

And they have a separate room for the families that come in.

And that got me thinking of a good example for this discussion. If I have $5 in my pocket that I can give to the homeless today, I'm going to choose to give it to the homeless family, rather than the homeless drug addict.

• ^ and @Vinlyn that is absolutely your right and your choice. As it is Spiny's right and choice. Maybe someday you'll re-evaluate that stance, and maybe not.
    ::: shrugs :::

Peace.

• GuiGui Veteran
    edited March 2013
    One thing I've noticed over the years:
    the stronger the delusion of the ownership of things,
    the more concern is taken on the passing of things.
    VastmindMaryAnneriverflow
    And there are people who use their children to get more money for drugs knowing kids get the sympathy vote. If anything we should all know that just because someone has a child (or even just has a child in their presence) does not suddenly make them more responsible. For all you know the guy is still going to buy drugs and then not only does he go without food but the child too. Maybe the guy you think is a drunk is looking for money to feed his dog.

I'm just saying, we make A LOT of assumptions that may or may not be true, but most of the time when we make them it is to justify our feelings on the matter. "I feel better giving the money to someone with a child than someone who looks like a drunk" makes us feel like we are doing a terrific good, when in reality giving the money to either is still doing a good. We don't have a CLUE what those 2 people will really use the money for. To think we are capable most of the time of judging someone on the corner based on the 5 seconds we see them isn't really accurate judging. I've misjudged people enough in the past that I try to avoid doing it now.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    karasti said:

I'd prefer it if I could dictate on my W4 what causes I want my taxes to go to, but it doesn't work that way.

I've had this thought as well... I wonder how much the military budget would decrease if we had the option to control our nation's spending? Heh...
    riverflow
    Noooooooooooo. That's not how a nation works.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    vinlyn is right. If it did work that way, we'd have to call it a democracy. :)
    riverflow
    edited March 2013
    It's easy to say that, "Oh I don't want my tax dollars going for an unjust war." Then some senior citizen says, "I don't have kids, so I don't want my tax money going for schools." Then someone says, "I don't drive, so I don't want to help pay for roads." Someone else says, "I don't break the law, so I don't want to pay for police or courts." That's not a democracy...or a republic. That's just people acting only on self-interest, and that's now way to run a country (as we often find out).

And BTW, we're a combination of a republic and a representative democracy (it's kinda hard getting 315,451,057 people to vote every time a decision has to be made).
  • GuiGui Veteran
    My comment was partly tounge in cheek, and I even considered saying republic. - but, anyway - the way things are now, we are not a republic. We elect representatives, but they don't represent us.
    I could go on and on, but I think pints of ale and slaps on the back would be required.
    Just a side note to your point, @vinlyn. The interesting thing is here, when school referendums and the like come up, it's the parents who have kids who usually vote against them, and the older people who vote for them. I see more support from the older people who long ago finished raising any children then had, than I see from people who have kids now. So many of them just want everything handed to them without any effort or cost on their part. That is the way these days, where the older folk understand that to get something, you have to give something. I see that a lot in different areas. But interestingly, the older people are the ones who don't want to give anything to anyone in need, either, even while they are happy receiving meals on wheels. Interesting contradictions sometimes.

Everything in our country seems run on the self-interest of large corporations, since our SCOTUS decided they were people and all.
  • If you have the money, you should give it without judgment, without the idea of a giver, a giving, and a receiver. If nothing else, it lessens your clinging to your own sense of "property". In an enlightened society, food, medicine, shelter, and clothing would be accessible to all- but most of us don't live in one. Those who think that the homeless should just "get a job" misunderstand that many of them are without medical care and are mentally ill, and therefore are incapable of holding a job.
    MaryAnneriverflowlobster
    Gui said:

My comment was partly tounge in cheek, and I even considered saying republic. - but, anyway - the way things are now, we are not a republic. We elect representatives, but they don't represent us.
    I could go on and on, but I think pints of ale and slaps on the back would be required.

Yes, I knew you were at least somewhat TIC.

But I'm not so sure about our representatives not representing us. How exactly does a Senator represent the people of a state when, for example, half the people are opposed to abortion rights, and the other half have exactly the opposite opinion?

Can't speak for other areas, but we've had problems in our state where the opinion of the people strongly leaned one way, but the representative voted opposite because of their personal beliefs. That's hardly representing the people. If they couldn't put their personal views aside to vote on behalf of their people, they shouldn't have taken the job.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    @vinlyn You make a good point. And to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't want a true democracy. I expect our Congress to have the wisdom and courage to act in the best interests of the people regardless of the popularity of their decision. So, on the one hand, I would want Congress to rescind laws that allow the health industry and the banks, for example, to bleed our accounts and put us in peril (a popular point of view). And, on the other hand, I applaud Congress when they make laws that take us to the next level of social evolution, such as civil rights laws forced on a resisting populace. My main beef is with corporate control of the legislative process, where now the corporations actually write some of the laws for them. Maybe, if we took the money incentive away, our representatives would find some integrity.
    Sorry to go off topic.
    riverflow
    You make a very good point, Gui. To be honest, I don't want a government that always does what the people want. Gasp! Take the Confederate States Of America. That elected government voted for slavery because it was what the people wanted. You stated the concept so well, above!
    riverflow
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    @Zero,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you - I don't know which country you live in so ideas relating to the exact social services in your country make this a little difficult. When I was sleeping out in London I ended up at a salvation army soup kitchen that gave away a sandwiches and the like, while I was there I picked up details about a fortnightly cooked meal at a nearby church. At the church they gave me a booklet which listed all the soup kitchens and homeless hostels in London.

How I ended up in the shelter in when I knew that because of the pressure on services in London I wasn't getting anywhere I caught a bus back up north to a city I used to live in about five years previously. I was tryong to find somewhere to keep warm and was spending the night in a 24 hour public lavatory but I couldn't sleep on the floor because drunks had peed all over it. As I opened the door a guy stepped out of the next cubicle he looked down on his luck - I said to him its to dirty to get your head down in here - he replied its too dirty to take my drugs in here he was an addict getting his hit.

He asked me if I had anywhere to go and he proceeded to lead me round all the shelters in the city showing where the were, they told me to call back late afternoon the following day to see if there was a bed. He took me back to his flat I watched lord of the rings on his play station while he snoozed off his hit. The next day he took me to a soup kitchen where I got some breakfast and a change of clothes. I wnet to the shelter the next evening and got a bed. Three days later they got me a bed in a half way house for people with mental health problems.

The funny thing is I've lived in this city for ten years and I've never seen that guy who helped me out again - I hope I do so I can repay his kindness.
    lobsterMaryAnne
  • In my judgement we should only give money to the good druggies, the worthy crazies . . . and of course we are all insightful enough to know the difference . . . or maybe not . . .
    Some of us do not know even know the meaning of generosity without having a virtuous debate.
    What path are we on? The homeless way? Support only the Sangha?

Thank you for your story Lonely_Traveller. As usual people think they are giving. In fact they are being given an opportunity for generosity . . .
    MaryAnnekarasti
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    As a response to the original question, I'd say (from a Marxist point of view), that giving money to the homeless would be essentially futile. It's a temporary fix for a seemingly permanent problem. It's pretty much the whole "give a man a fish" conundrum. Charity, although may be personally rewarding (as helping the destitute is a worthwhile cause), can make the problem seem lesser than it really is - and thus, people let it continue on longer. Even if you go above and beyond giving someone money by actually giving them a place to sleep and helping them get back out on their feet, this is still one person out of millions. By helping this one individual, there are many others being left out - it isn't fixing the problem, and as I said earlier, can make the problem (on the global scale) seem lesser than it really is - and thus, people let it continue on longer.

With that said, I probably would give money to a beggar because I'd feel for the individual, knowing that they were a product of their environment and that I was lucky enough to be in a more privileged conditions - and so should share in what prosperity I do have (at least on a personal level). Or, if I don't believe money would help them, I'd try to give them a ride to the nearest shelter or a to a relatives place or where ever they feel they can get some support.
    So if we can't start to fix the larger problem by helping a person, or a couple people, how do we begin to solve the global/larger problem at all? The same can be said for any problem that affects humans. Why rehab drug addicts if there will always be drug addicts? Sure we might help a few people but the others will still be addicts. Why rescue a puppy from euthanasia at a shelter if there will always be thousands of them who die? Why do anything if the problem still exists? Because it makes a difference, or has a chance to make a difference for that one person, that one animal. It's still sad to think about all the others, but helping one person can make a difference, and then change spreads, or at least has a chance to.
    We can't help everyone at the same time, so what are we to do? I'm not criticizing your post, just thinking aloud. If people don't help stop the problem by helping whatever ways they can, then isn't THAT letting the problem continue longer by lessening it? As the saying goes, to the world you are one person, but to one person you might be the world.
    Good post, Karasti.

In a sense I think our discussion got off track just a tad. The basic question was whether or not it was "ethical" to give money to a beggar. Certainly it's "ethical".

I think the bigger question is what is the wisest way to give money to the needy since each of us has limited funds.
    As an example, the story of Liz Murray. She no doubt had a huge amount of desire to push herself, but she had support of friends and a particular teacher who took an interest in her. The combination of her perseverance and the help of other people helped her achieve some great things and now, she is helping others do the same.
    http://archives.starbulletin.com/2006/03/28/features/story02.html
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited March 2013
    vinlyn said:

Good post, Karasti.

In a sense I think our discussion got off track just a tad. The basic question was whether or not it was "ethical" to give money to a beggar. Certainly it's "ethical".

I think the bigger question is what is the wisest way to give money to the needy since each of us has limited funds.

Yes, generosity in and of itself can be said to be ethical, or more appropriately, not unethical; and the Buddha himself advises to give wherever you feel inclined to give (SN 3.24). And while some gifts bear greater fruit, every act of generosity is meritorious, even those with a selfish motivation (AN 3.57, AN 7.49).

As for what the wisest way to give in cases like these are, I think that's ultimately something that's up to the individual and the specific circumstances involved. There's no one right answer, in my opinion.
    vinlynkarastilobster
This discussion has been closed.