Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What determines "unmindfulness"

So during some zen focusing on breathing in and out while counting to 100 thoughts come and go. What is difficult for me to determine is whether or not my mind is "lost". Example 1-12 counts go by with good concentration no random thoughts arise just consciousness but then a thought pops up on 13 but it doesn't carry mindfulness awayonto a vortex that deepens dilusion it's simply noted. this is where i trip up do I continue counting or do I reset to 0?

Comments

• Counting is to focus the mind and reduce wandering. Even when thoughts pop up, as soon as it is noted and released, mindfulness is established. It is lost only when the mind follows the thought and causes further thought proliferation (papanca).

Counting to hundred without any thought distractions is not likely for a beginner.
    riverflow
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

One way to look at it is that breath counting is only meant to provide a body/mind anchor from which to observe from. It just manifests a balanced reality that is neither exclusively mind oriented or body oriented.
    It is meant to just keep one rooted in this present reality rather than sleepwalking off with the next thought. Do it just forcefully enough to remain conscious of it but not so forcefully that it dominates over your other arising sensory input.

Most of us seldom see where we leave mindfulness, only where & when we return to it.
    To continue with your count or to return to the start should be your choice.
    The best choice is to choose which ever one allows you to most directly reconnect to that body/mind anchor.
    Invincible_summerlobster
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    blu3ree said:

...Example 1-12 counts go by with good concentration no random thoughts arise just consciousness but then a thought pops up on 13 but it doesn't carry mindfulness awayonto a vortex that deepens dilusion it's simply noted. this is where i trip up do I continue counting or do I reset to 0?

I say keep going, since you were aware of the thought and were not carried away by it. Only go back to Zero when you lose track of what number you are up to.

Do you find that counting to 100 can get a bit automatic? Like, do you find that you are suddenly up to 34 and you didn't notice the twenties?
    If so, I find that counting 1 to 10 combats that, because if you get mesmerised you start counting 11 12... and then realise, "OH I was only going to ten".

Just my 2c.
    riverflow
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    @Riverflow, an excellent summary, good work man.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @blu3ree -- What follows is just my opinion:

Counting to 100 is a mistake. Count to 10 and begin again. Any student who can count to 10 honestly will not need to practice something called "Buddhism," whether in breath-counting or any other format.

Breath-counting is sometimes called a practice for beginners. I disagree. Doing anything -- including breath-counting -- whole-heartedly is enough. Yes, breath-counting appears to be a support to begin with ... a means of reining in and calming thoughts. Sometimes it is seen as a means of chastising and fidget-y mind ... bad dog! get back here! OK ... we all could use some help and breath-counting can be called a help.

But once the help has been offered and received ... now what?

Or not.
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited March 2013

blu3ree said:

...Example 1-12 counts go by with good concentration no random thoughts arise just consciousness but then a thought pops up on 13 but it doesn't carry mindfulness awayonto a vortex that deepens dilusion it's simply noted. this is where i trip up do I continue counting or do I reset to 0?

I say keep going, since you were aware of the thought and were not carried away by it. Only go back to Zero when you lose track of what number you are up to.

Do you find that counting to 100 can get a bit automatic? Like, do you find that you are suddenly up to 34 and you didn't notice the twenties?
    If so, I find that counting 1 to 10 combats that, because if you get mesmerised you start counting 11 12... and then realise, "OH I was only going to ten".

Just my 2c.
    Yea sometimes it feels automatic a bit like a robot haha! It's usually not that bad to where mindfulness of numbers is lost though. I've been practicing around at least 30 mins a sit which there can be 3-4 sits a day. Some days I dont practice at all so it can get a bit bumpy. I've been practicing for around 2 years.

@genkaku I was told to count to 100 by my teacher it was also during kyollche though.

@riverflow i can never really finish any books I start reading right now I have zen and the art of insight. I'm more of a picture book kind of guy to where I look at pictures and try to decipher them. I'll start just being mindful without counting unless my mind is restless.

Thanks all!
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I am not a Zen practitioner, but I have tried counting and it doesn't work for me. Neither does saying things like "breathing in, breathing out." Visualization works pretty well for me. But counting just makes me multitask so I'll be counting but still have thoughts coming up like crazy. I just cannot focus enough on counting to distract my mind. Visualization works better because for me it requires me to put more into it, so to speak.

But I suspect that this is because I am also a "counter." I randomly find myself counting, or counting things during the day, and have for many, many years. So my brain is used to hearing me spew out numbers throughout the day and pays them no attention. If that makes any sense, lol.

I do totally agree that for most people 100 is way too lofty of a goal to start with, and by the time you might be able to get that far, you shouldn't need to count at all.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    There are lots of different ways of not lossing oneself into mentality. Some forms include higher counts but they have there own checks and balances to deal with it.
    I didn't specify the Zen form (mine) because it didn't sound like your form.

The best answers to your questions will come with your exploration of the difference between concentration and meditation.
  • I think counting to 100 involves too much thinking. I count forward to 10 and then backwards from 10. If I lose count, I start over at 1 or 10 (depending on which direction I am counting). After I get "warmed up" counting this way, I just count to 1 on each breath.
    lobster
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited March 2013
    @karasti...it sure makes sense to me.
    I count all day at work, so I found it not very effective for
    my sitting.
    Visualization got me thru 3 natural childbirths, so I stuck
    with what I knew and was good at, and until someone else
    has that experience, it would be hard to convince me I'm doing it 'wrong'.

I 'see'/notice the empty space between the thoughts. Being in
    that space until the next thought pops up.
    Over the years, the space in between has gotton longer
    and longer, it also helps me to 'see' the thoughts go
    by ...like cars passing. The traffic varies. I then am able to
    focus on sitting on the road, and ignore the
    passing cars and all the details about them.
  • blu3ree said:

So during some zen focusing on breathing in and out while counting to 100 thoughts come and go. What is difficult for me to determine is whether or not my mind is "lost". Example 1-12 counts go by with good concentration no random thoughts arise just consciousness but then a thought pops up on 13 but it doesn't carry mindfulness awayonto a vortex that deepens dilusion it's simply noted. this is where i trip up do I continue counting or do I reset to 0?

I do think getting technical over meditation is stressful. It may even defeats the purpose of meditation.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Unmindfullness would be the same thing as unawareness. It doesn't really exist! However it is like there are all these doorways popping up all the time. And if you bite at one you are sucked into a whole world. The world is perfumed by a memory perhaps and it conjures up samsara. But as soon as you realize that thought as just a thought the conviction in the thought world crumbles. We should let go of harmful thought worlds like vengeance on your neighbor for something small. And we should encourage constructive (for yours and all beings happiness) thoughts. Even the constructive thoughts we realize they are just doorways, because otherwise the thoughtworld will turn in on the claustrophobia of the awareness and lose that quality of freedom. We feel bad when that happens due to the sensitivity feeling pain at losing our barings. But all the while you still have that free quality to liberate and a cutting quality to cut out the conviction once we see through. And the liberation is very spacious like there is room for all of these dharma doors to be and we have deep down sanity.

For meditation in the fashion above I would rejoice each time you come back from being stuck in a thought realm. Focus on the positive. The negative will just make you feel bad about yourself and spawn even more prapancha. Then we are like punching at tar and getting more and more stuck.