Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

realizing my selfishness

You know, I have been really selfish, I just resently looked in to tibetan history more. I knew about tibet and china but I didn't look deep enough. It turns out that no one wants them. India, China, Bhutan. The Tibetan human rights are violated to those espically in tibet still. Then the self immolation of the TIbetans to protest for their human rights. It makes me extremely sad inside. How can you uproot a whole culture of enlightenment and tell them to go the hell? It just hurts unbelievibly. Even worse, when the dali lama dies, how are they going to know where to find him again?

This whole time I was not sure and dancing around the line on tibetan buddhism. Im sorry doesn't even come close.
EnriqueSpain

Comments

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited March 2013
    how come not knowing about Tibet and China problem is making you really selfish? if you are a Tibetian, then it makes sense, otherwise there are many other problems going on in Syria, Palestine, Egypt, etc - does that mean we should know about all these problems, otherwise we are really selfish? - or - is this the case that may be you are studying Tibetian Buddhism, that is why you think you are really selfish if you do not know about Tibet and China problem?

moreover, how come you are putting India in the list of the countries, who do not care for Tibetians? Do you know where Dalai Lama and other Tibetians are currently residing?
    Invincible_summer
    edited March 2013
    yesterday, i watched the below video, and today you raised this thread getting too much concerned about tibetians - seems like a coincidence to me. anyways, please watch the below video and you will know that tibetians know how to get their answers from their oracles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zQ1VvvrAILo
  • Yes I am studying tibetan buddhism. Im sorry. I just don't know how to deal with all the pain in the world. I am so limited in my ability to help anyone. I don't really have a lot of money and I haven't devloped the courage yet to do alot either. From what I read the indians are starting to resent the tibetans. But that is nether here nor there I guess.

I guess I am full of mistakes, well I welcome you to judge me, everyone. I keep screwing up. I really don't even know what this site is for, I just try and see what happens. The more I mess up, The more I will know how to act, so there is always a bright side.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

I guess I am full of mistakes, well I welcome you to judge me, everyone. I keep screwing up. I really don't even know what this site is for, I just try and see what happens. The more I mess up, The more I will know how to act, so there is always a bright side.

If we are honest, we ALL are full of mistakes. I too am poor, some religions try to make you sad and guilty if you do not give a lot to whatever cause they want you to give to-- I am done with feeling sad and guilty for not giving more money to people who want it and do not justify what they want it for. Buddhism teaches compassion, not money giving to excess.

Where I give, I give to friends, these days.

• You know....I think another tough lesson is going to creep it's way into my life. I just hope I don't have to worry about getting tangled up in the Dorje Shugden controversy. There is a temple with in a few hours away that have that being dedicated too. But anyway, I can't help feeling like something ugly is going to come up, my life is too good right now.
    edited March 2013
    @ordinarybeing: well, dude, don't beat yourself up for not able to help in the problems of the world. it is obvious that there will be problems in world, as the mere arising of samsara is suffering. try to do good in whatever area you have the opportunity to do good. try help yourself get out of suffering and then help others get out of their suffering. if anything i have said in my above posts sounds harsh to you, then i am sorry for it. the above link about oracles is interesting - try to watch the whole video.
    Lucy_BegoodMaryAnneordinarybeing
  • "Dorje Shugden controversy"

::: cringes :::: Please, not again! ;)
    ToshInvincible_summerordinarybeing
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    There are dozens of cultures across the planet going through as bad or worse. People often focus on one group, or one dictator, because thats how they feel that maybe they could do something, but across the planet there are groups fighting for their own survival that you will probably never hear of.

Don't feel selfish because you don't know about any specific group and their plight. Practice metta(loving-friendliness) for all beings everywhere in samsara who are born, grow old, grow sick, and die.
    ordinarybeing
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Suffering is not exclusively a third world problem. It's not helpful nor wise to carry the weight of the world on your back, so just start where you are. You'll be alright. :)
    Lucy_Begoodordinarybeing
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited March 2013
    I just don't know how to deal with all the pain in the world.
    @ordinarybeing -- Welcome to the wake-up call that any honest person faces.

Interesting to think that whereas anyone might feel flummoxed and depressed by the fact that s/he cannot deal with the pain of the world (the endlessly mounting examples) ... still no similar microscope is aimed at the pleasures. It seems that pleasures are OK and can take care of themselves, but pain ... well, it's off to the races in an attempt to make things better.

Bit by bit, Buddhist practice addresses this convenient and socially-acceptable dichotomy. And there is nothing theoretical, philosophical or religious about it. Both positions (pleasure/pain, right/wrong, good/bad etc.) share a similar characteristic ... they're all about me. Characteristics are not something to chastise or elevate ... they are just characteristics. But Buddhism suggests a closer examination than is usually brought to bear.

Bit by meditation bit ... who is this one approves of pleasure and despairs of pain, who seeks to improve a world that seems stubbornly unwilling to be improved, who may be determined to 'help?'

There is nothing wrong with lending a hand, but without knowing who it is who lends this hand, I think there will always be some confusion and uncertainty.

Just my take.
    ordinarybeing
  • Life is a learning curve. Buddhism is the best teacher, it is painful realising our downfalls but now we are aware of them we can improve on them hope this helps.
    ordinarybeing
  • chelachela Veteran
    The first person you should be kind to is the person you see in the mirror. Some people might call that selfish. Someone posted an analogy on this site (I think) that explained: when you ride on an airplane and something happens and you're required to breath the oxygen from the mask, the instructions are that the parent must take the oxygen mask first before administering a mask to his/her child. The fact is, we must take care of ourselves first if we are ever to care for anyone else. If we are suffering badly, we can't help others-- it just doesn't work. I can drive around my neighborhood and see all the people who can't even take care of their own kids properly, because I can see that they are clearly suffering (psychologically, at least). After you've experienced your grief for the ugly facts of our world, go back to yourself and give yourself some loving kindness. You will need to do that over and over again throughout time as you encounter others who are suffering.
    ordinarybeing