Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

how do you deal with the suffering of selfishness?

I do have an actual question today that I didn't make up.

A while ago, I was talking to my grandmother, she is an older lady, she has a strong willed mind. She use to be a little more happier untill she really started watching foxnews.

One day she started to cry, I feel sad for her and tried to comfort her.
I got to the root of her suffering finally.

It turns out that she was sad because almost none of her children (my parent, aunts, uncles) or us grant children turned out to be neither christian, or not as devout, or not her type of christianity as she was in her 11 brothers and sisters stout catholic famliy.

She feels like she failed her god and us.

I feel her pain and feel compasion for her, but at the same time, I feel in the back of my head "Wait...who do you think you are?"

Then today she called what I believe in evil, and then when I tried confronting her about fox news and what they say about everything and how brain washed she is becoming, she gave me the standard nonthinking foxnew defenses that they tell her there veiwers to say.

I still love her, no what I did wasn't right. I don't know how to talk to her, she thinks that what she believes is the only way. Then she turns to justify things in life with fox news philosophy.

I still want her to be free from suffering but I can't help a person who's glass is already full.

So basically, what should I do?

p.s. (and no, I didn't mean the I wanted to convert her to buddhism.)

Comments

• google 'metta meditation'

:thumbup:
    ordinarybeingLucy_Begood
  • Hey, Ordinarybeing, maybe your grandmother is a little scared of death...

As a Christian you believe that you are judged at that moment and that must be frightening for some. A lot of elderly people get emotional and scared as they start to consider their own death. Have you tried talking to her about how she feels about this subject?

Good Luck

(P.S. - I used to work with elderly people)
    Lucy_Begood
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    give respect and loving-kindness to your grandmother. if she wants you to go to church with her and doing this shall make her happy, then my suggestion is to make her happy by going to church with her. do not confront her Christianity views with your Buddhist views - just accept her for who she is, without trying to change her. occasionally depending on the situation, if you think you can help her with some of Buddha's teachings, then tell her that - then if she is ok with it, go forward describing it in more detail to her, but if she is not ok with it, then stop discussing it. but keep in mind to give love and respect to your grandmother at all times unconditionally.
    ToshZero
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Fox News is the most trusted news source in the US. Do you know who the least trusted news source is? Fox News, seriously. :screwy:
    Lucy_Begood
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    One thing to keep in mind is, what you (and I as well) think of as Fox News being so far leaning on direction, other media companies do the same the other direction. There is little middle ground in the media, it's worth remembering that if you are wanting to slam Fox News while you watch another source that is so far leaning the other way that they don't get it right, either. I mean as far as telling factual stories, not that one "side" is better than the other.

I have to agree with who wondered if your grandma might be a little afraid. My grandma went through this a year ago. She is old, 87 now, but was chugging along just fine. Then all of a sudden she got very sick. She was faced with dying, and as much as she talked about being ready, she really was not. She had a lot to get off her chest, to talk to her family and friends about, to come to terms with herself. She was not as ready to die as she thought, and was very afraid of it. Once that became clear to us, we started talking to her about it, very carefully and gently, mostly asking questions, never accusing her of being scared. Once she started to think about it, she realized she wasn't as unafraid as she thought, and she started working with her pastor on that.

I doubt she thinks you are evil. But she is from an age where so many people are in right now, that anything they don't understand, is to be feared. You can use your practice to love and support her without having to talk to her about it. You can even draw a whole lot of parallels between what Buddha taught, and what Jesus taught, if you get rid of all the stories and other things. I don't mean to bring it up as a discussion, but maybe it would help you to re-read what Jesus actually taught and notice how close it is to so much of what Buddha taught. It might help you reconnect with her.
    riverflowLucy_Begood
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    There are many ways to God - often people who have the most consistent faith live with a conviction that they have had a real personal interaction with God.
    What if this happens to you in 50 years time... would your grandmother be around for you to say, hey, you were right?

She needs love and reassurance - God helpfully has a very wide definition... the church is a broad one so to speak - with care, smiles, appropriate silences and sageful nods, it may be possible to convince your grandmother that she has not failed in saving your eternal soul.

Make all your memories together good ones.
    lobsterLucy_Begood
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited March 2013
    It doesn't matter what one calls one self - Buddhist, Christian, Muslim etc. A pure mind is not the province of a Buddhist or Christian or whatever. Recollection of one's virtue, generosity and even God [http://dharmafarer.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/15.13-Devatanussati-Vism-7-piya.pdf].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anussati
    1. Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with an impure mind a person speaks or acts suffering follows him like the wheel that follows the foot of the ox.

2. Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with a pure mind a person speaks or acts happiness follows him like his never-departing shadow.

Dhp
  • I do have an actual question today that I didn't make up.

A while ago, I was talking to my grandmother, she is an older lady, she has a strong willed mind. She use to be a little more happier untill she really started watching foxnews.

One day she started to cry, I feel sad for her and tried to comfort her.
    I got to the root of her suffering finally.

It turns out that she was sad because almost none of her children (my parent, aunts, uncles) or us grant children turned out to be neither christian, or not as devout, or not her type of christianity as she was in her 11 brothers and sisters stout catholic famliy.

She feels like she failed her god and us.

I feel her pain and feel compasion for her, but at the same time, I feel in the back of my head "Wait...who do you think you are?"

Then today she called what I believe in evil, and then when I tried confronting her about fox news and what they say about everything and how brain washed she is becoming, she gave me the standard nonthinking foxnew defenses that they tell her there veiwers to say.

I still love her, no what I did wasn't right. I don't know how to talk to her, she thinks that what she believes is the only way. Then she turns to justify things in life with fox news philosophy.

I still want her to be free from suffering but I can't help a person who's glass is already full.

So basically, what should I do?

p.s. (and no, I didn't mean the I wanted to convert her to buddhism.)

Perhaps, you can't do. Everyone of us as walk our own path and find our own salvation. On second thoughts, you can do something. Just be nice and accept her as she is.
    lobsterInvincible_summer