Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

View on Buddha-Nature

Buddha-nature is none other than the basic wanting of good for oneself. This is the seed. As this seed grows (and sometimes decays!) it becomes the basic wanting of good for some others. When it fully blossoms, it is the basic wanting of good for all.

The accumulation of merit is nothing other than growing Buddha-nature to the stage of wanting good for all sentience. The accumulation of wisdom is growing the knowledge of how to bring good to others.

The completion of the two (merit and wisdom) gives rise to a Buddha's skillful means- which is the combination of wanting good for all and knowing how to bring good to all.

This is my view of Buddha-nature, the two accumulations, and skillful means.

Comments?
riverflowlobsterJeffreyVastmindDakiniZendoLord84Wisdom23

Comments

• Note that the wanting of good for others does not fall into the category of craving (for sense objects, becoming, and non-becoming). As opposed to giving rise to clinging, it gives rise to "renunciation... freedom from ill-will... harmlessness".
  • That sounds about right.
    It is one of the qualities of an awakened mind. Metta.

That is why we can practice the qualities of an enlightened mind, moving towards Buddha Nature. If residing in the Buddha Nature, the qualities are evidence of the Nature.
    Going beyond this into realms without qualities is something found in Dzogchen and Zen but without the preceding base we have an insight into the Buddha Nature gone either rogue or into 'crazy wisdom'.

:wave:
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Awakening said:

Note that the wanting of good for others does not fall into the category of craving (for sense objects, becoming, and non-becoming). As opposed to giving rise to clinging, it gives rise to "renunciation... freedom from ill-will... harmlessness".

This is an important point. This question does tend to arise among beginning Buddhists. Good job, OP.

• Ego is wanting good for oneself.
    Buddha-nature is wanting good for all.
    When ego fades, through practise, buddha-nature appears.

Specieswise, it makes more sence to me we all take care of eachother,
    riverflowlobsterWisdom23
  • Ego is wanting good for oneself.
    Buddha-nature is wanting good for all.
    When ego fades, through practise, buddha-nature appears.

Specieswise, it makes more sence to me we all take care of eachother,

I don't think it's ego to want good for oneself. It's ego if you want good for oneself at the expense of others. Realizing that you want good for yourself, and therefore that all beings want good, is the cornerstone for practices such as Metta. Even the Buddha taught that one should begin metta with kindness to oneself, and he taught that "there is no one more deserving of compassion than oneself".
    riverflowlobster
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    Awakening said:

Note that the wanting of good for others does not fall into the category of craving (for sense objects, becoming, and non-becoming). As opposed to giving rise to clinging, it gives rise to "renunciation... freedom from ill-will... harmlessness".

this is 'samma sankappa' (Right Thought) of NEP

however
    there should be
    'samma ditti' (Right View) namely, know that there is no 'I' and no 'them'

then
    that completes the whole NEP

and

that completes the 'dasa kusal' (Ten Skilful Deeds, Words and thoughts)

so

no 'kamma' (cause)and no 'kamma vipaka' (effect)

one is being at the 'present moment'

END of the story (Enlightened-Nature-Dhamma)

JeffreyAwakeninglobster
  • Thanks guys for reminding that we should strike for compassion for self and with experience, other as self.

A good sangha, gives us an environment to practice in. We study the words and deeds, we also learn from (hopefully), the misdeeds and triviality, embroilment of ourself and those around us. We move towards the good. Perhaps we transcend such labels. Perhaps they become self evident.

If we are beginners - and in many we always are - let us be compassionate to ourself. Do what we can. Focus on that. Gradually the capacity to inspire ourself and others will emerge.

May we all know peace and goodwill today.

I take refuge in the Buddha.
    I take refuge in the Dharma.
    I take refuge in the Sangha.

:wave:
    riverflowStraight_Man
  • Awakening said:

Scripture of Buddha say wanting "good" is becoming, not enlightenment path. You can read in English on internet: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.117.than.html

Buddha Nature is Emptiness Nature: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn20/sn20.007.than.html