Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Beneficial foods

2»

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    yeah there is something good about a roast with carrots and potatoes and onions, for sure! As long as you aren't depending on really cooked carrots to provide all your nutrition I think it's to eat them cooked sometimes ;) I love glazed carrots, for example. Even if the nutrition isn't all that great, they taste terrific.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Raw carrots + hummous = my new favourite snack.
    lobster
  • Also blueberries.

I have a serious attachment to blueberries! I'd freebase 'em if I could I love blueberries so much! I went through a phase where I ate raw blueberries, drank blueberry juice, ate blueberry yoghurt, and blueberry pie and whatever else I could get my hands on. I don't know what it is about blueberries...!
    ThailandTomInvincible_summer
  • Carrots, not just for Easter bunnies. Great with peas mixed together or how about mashed parsnips, pepper and carrots . . .

wait a minute how about shepherds pie (you don't have to use real shepherds, you can use soya mince)

Yum, improve your food intake, seems part of the middle way . . .
    Isn't right consumption part of the nine fold path?
    blu3reeInvincible_summer
  • riverflow said:

Also blueberries.

I have a serious attachment to blueberries! I'd freebase 'em if I could I love blueberries so much! I went through a phase where I ate raw blueberries, drank blueberry juice, ate blueberry yoghurt, and blueberry pie and whatever else I could get my hands on. I don't know what it is about blueberries...!
    I have been trying to hunt them down in Thailand, I know they are expensive even back home so here they must be quite rare and expensive. they are a great asset to ones diet though.
    riverflow
  • @ThailandTom - I guess no trips to Thailand for me!! haha
    @riverflow, lol, I love them too. They grow in the wild here, and let me tell you store blueberries, even organic ones, have nothing on fresh. We have to fight the bears for them though, so you have to time it perfectly to pick a good batch, and they are very tempermental, so they need perfect weather to have a really good crop. Last year they only produced about 50%, but the year before there were so many you could sit in one patch and pick them and fill a whole bucket in an hour.
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • riverflow said:

@ThailandTom - I guess no trips to Thailand for me!! haha

They exist here I know that, but they are rare and in 'farang stores' and are probably going to be about $5 for a small trays worth.
    They are the same here at this time of year. In the summer they are cheaper but other than that, they are $4-5 for what amounts to as a large handful.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    There are several "U-Pick" farms about an hour's drive from where I live. Those are awesome. Last summer (late summer), my gf and I picked about two large ziploc containers (maybe 3" tall x 5" wide x 12" long containers) worth of blueberries, plus some raspberries and strawberries in other containers, and it only came out to ~$10 in total or something ridiculously cheap.

• There are several "U-Pick" farms about an hour's drive from where I live. Those are awesome. Last summer (late summer), my gf and I picked about two large ziploc containers (maybe 3" tall x 5" wide x 12" long containers) worth of blueberries, plus some raspberries and strawberries in other containers, and it only came out to ~$10 in total or something ridiculously cheap.

That's a very good deal lol, cuts out the middle man and creates one lazy farmer too :p
  • If it's an organic, non-GMO, local fruit or vegetable, it's great for you! :) Also, foods such as spelt, quinoa, hemp, flax, chia are wonderful to consume in lieu of white sugar/flour grains or soy. Speaking of soy, natto made from non-GMO soybeans is great for vegans who don't get their K2 or B12 naturally. Ummm... what else? Growing and juicing your own wheatgrass is great, although there is some controversy surrounding this (i.e. it's better just to juice kale or spinach for that matter... but I find it's so easy and inexpensive to grow wheatgrass in your home than it is the others!). Lots of great foods out there that McDonald's doesn't like you to know about! :D