Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Beneficial foods

blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
edited March 2013 in Diet & Habits
Some foods i saw that reduce radiation are cabbage and broccoli.

Anyone have any unique plant foods that have some modern day health benefits?

Comments

• Garlic and onions, ginger and . . . hey let's have curry . . . :)
    Invincible_summerThailandTom
  • Yohimbe
  • Yohimbe
    Bless you! ;)
    karastiInvincible_summer
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Any type of whole food, produced with as few chemical fertilizers and pesticides as possible, have numerous benefits. The phytochemicals that come from plants, most of them are not able to be reproduced in labs. Do some reading on the research of Joel Fuhrman. Not necessarily on his "diet plans" if you don't wish, but his resources are pretty sound. He goes into great detail on what nutritional value certain foods have. Leafy greens are the best bang for your caloric/nutritional buck. Spinach, collards, muster greens, kale. Berries are excellent as well. I will dig out my book tonight and see what I can find about the specific information. Fermented foods are also good for a person, things like yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut.
    DaltheJigsaw
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Quinoa is supposed to be pretty good. Chia seeds and flax as well.
  • Chia seeds and bee pollen (you can mix either one with water and drink it).
    quinoa is definitely good for a person but I read a few articles recently saying that all the desire for it around the world has greatly stressed the farmers, and the price has gone up so much, and put such demand on the farm land, that the people who produce it can't afford to eat it. There is also some violence going on as far as control of the land, because the profits have gone up 400% in the past 20 years. Here is a good Time article on it
    http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2110890,00.html

One of my favorite breakfasts is quinoa with some berries, honey and chia seeds. SO yummy. But makes me sad, the cost to bring it to my home.
    Invincible_summerDaltheJigsaw
  • Apples are still very good for digestion.
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Avocados clean the kidneys and have omega 3's!
    Invincible_summer
  • goji berries are great for hikers and those requiring concentrated nutrition.

Water. Remember water.

Real musli, not sugared junk.
    Oatmeal aka porridge.
    Red and wild rice.

Fruit and veg - oh yeah . . . I like to cook with fruit. Bananas to sweeten. Prunes instead of sun ripened tomatoes. Are chillies a fruit? Yeah . . . let's have a curry . . .

Did I mention water? Nuts! (as the Actress said to the bishop) :)
    Invincible_summer
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Watercress man, watercress

Cress is one of the very low-calorie green leafy vegetables (only 11 calories per 100 g raw leaves) and contains negligible amounts of fats. Being an antioxidant rich, fewer calories and low-fat vegetable it is often recommended in cholesterol controlling and weight reduction programs.

Cress leaves and stem contains gluconasturtiin, a glucosinolate compound that gives the peppery flavor. Research studies suggest that the hydrolysis product of gluconasturtiin, 2-phenethyl isothiocyanate (PEITC), is believed to be cancer preventing by inhibition of phase I enzymes (mono-oxygenases and cytochrome P450s).

Fresh cress has more concentration of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) than some of the fruits and vegetables. 100 g of leaves provide 47 mg or 72% of RDA of vitamin C. As an anti-oxidant, vitamin C helps to quench free radicals and reactive oxygen species (ROS) through its reduction potential properties. Lab studies suggest that regular consumption of foods rich in vitamin C help maintain normal connective tissue, prevent iron deficiency, and also help the body develop resistance against infectious agents by boosting immunity.

It is one of the excellent vegetable sources for vitamin-K; 100 g provides over 200% of daily recommended intake. Vitamin K has potential role bone health by promoting osteotrophic (bone formation and strengthening) activity. Adequate vitamin-K levels in the diet help limiting neuronal damage in the brain; thus, has established role in the treatment of patients suffering from Alzheimer's disease.

Cress is also an excellent source of vitamin-A, and flavonoids anti-oxidants like ß carotene, lutein and zea-xanthin.

It is also rich in B-complex group of vitamins such as riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamin and pantothenic acid that are essential for optimum cellular metabolic functions.

Further, it is also rich source of minerals like copper, calcium, potassium, magnesium, manganese and phosphorus. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure by countering effects of sodium. Manganese is used by the body as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase. Calcium is required as bone/teeth mineral and in the regulation of heart and skeletal muscle activity.

Regular inclusion of cress in the diet is found to prevent osteoporosis, anemia, and vitamin A deficiency and believed to protect from cardiovascular diseases and colon and prostate cancers.

blu3reeInvincible_summerJeffrey
  • Also blueberries.

Blueberries are very low in calories. 100 g fresh berries provide only 57 calories. However, they possess notable health benefiting plant-nutrients such as soluble dietary fiber, minerals, vitamins, and pigment anti-oxidants that contribute immensely towards optimum health and wellness.

Blueberries are among the highest anti-oxidant value fruits. The ORAC value of 100 g fresh blueberry is 5562 TE (Trolex equivalents). Their antioxidant value largely derived from poly-phenolic anthocyanidin compounds such as chlorogenic acid, tannins, myricetin, quercetin and kaempferol.

In addition, these berries have other flavonoid anti-oxidants such as carotene-β, lutein and zea-xanthin.

Altogether, the phyto-chemical compounds in the blueberry help rid off harmful oxygen-derived free radicals from the body, and thereby, protect the human body against cancers, aging, degenerative diseases, and infections.

Further, research studies suggest that chlorogenic acid in these berries help lower blood sugar levels and control blood-glucose levels in type-II diabetes mellitus condition.

Fresh berries contain a small amount of vitamin C, vitamin A and vitamin E. Altogether these vitamins work as potent anti-oxidants, which help limit free radical mediated injury to the body.

The berries also contain a small amount of B-complex group of vitamins such as niacin, pyridoxine, folates and pantothenic acid. It contains very good amounts of vitamin B-6, niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid and folic acid. These vitamins are acting as co-factors help the body metabolize carbohydrates, protein, and fats.

Furthermore, they contain a good amount of minerals like potassium, manganese, copper, iron and zinc. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure. Manganese is used by the body as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase. Copper is required for the production of red blood cells. Iron is required for red blood cell formation.
    blu3reeInvincible_summerJeffreyriverflow
  • Vitamin b-12 is very important and with a mostly vegetable diet vegtarians and vegans wont get enough from their natural diet.

Vitamin B12 deficiency can also cause symptoms of mania and psychosis, fatigue, memory impairment, irritability, depression and personality changes.In infants symptoms include irritability, failure to thrive, apathy, anorexia, and developmental regression. (copy pasted from wikipedia) some diseases it leads to are anemia and alzheimers.

Methylcobalomin b12 in the pill form is the most highly available to us. Cyanocobalomin is a form of cyanide and doesnt get easily digested. It said in the wikipedia "alot of people can be deficient in b12 even though they take alot o b12". Only so much b12 can be absorbed in the system at once the rest will be excreted through the urine. So taking huge amount all at once isnt very beneficial especially if its not the methylcobalomin form.
  • Nobody suspects the watercress, it is a super food for sure!
  • Spices and herbs
    OK I suggested curry . . .

how about herbs basil, oregano, sage, thyme and tomato saucy, with virgin (if you will pardon the expression) olive oil and some brown pasta - like mama used to make (not necessarily your mama but hey . . ) with cheese and - apologies to veggies and cheers from the lobsterians - sardines . . . and apologies to the vinyasa followers, garlic again . . .

:)
  • lobster said:

Spices and herbs
    OK I suggested curry . . .

how about herbs basil, oregano, sage, thyme and tomato saucy, with virgin (if you will pardon the expression) olive oil and some brown pasta - like mama used to make (not necessarily your mama but hey . . ) with cheese and - apologies to veggies and cheers from the lobsterians - sardines . . . and apologies to the vinyasa followers, garlic again . . .

:)

Would you mind explaining in some detail; the benefits of basil, oregano, sage, and thyme?
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I swear by Mars Bars. :thumbup:
    MaryAnne
  • Kaaaaale! Kale! Very dense in nutrients.

Gonna try some new ways to get watercress into the body.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited March 2013
    A balanced and varied diet, consisting of a 'reasonable' amount from each food group, is the best way to eat. Not to lose weight, not to gain muscle, not to do anything other than be 'healthy'.

HEALTH is "measured by the numbers" -- BP numbers, cholesterol numbers, pulse rate numbers, triglycerides, etc etc. If your numbers are out of wack, more than likely your diet is out of wack and needs adjustment.
    But even that adjustment may not 'cure' what is wrong if it is a disease like diabetes, hypothyroidism, food allergies, etc. Diet doesn't cure you when you adjust it, but the symptoms may be controlled and even disappear.

Those numbers on the scale have very little to do with actual "health". That belief is a trap too many people fall into .... there are no specific 'magic' foods for weight loss - or health.
    I love berries. Thankfully we can grow them here, they grow in the wild and we pick them (and grow some in our garden). In the off season though, man are they expensive. $5-6 for 6 ounces.

I don't think anyone here is looking for a magic food to be healthy or loose weight. But overall, plant foods are a "magic" food in a way. Not that they do anything magical, just that the effects they have on us when we eat more of them can seem magical. In truth, it is just our bodies responding to an ideal diet. But what constitutes a truly balanced diet, and what we are told is a balanced diet, aren't really even close. Most people base a healthy, balanced diet on the USDA recommendations and while they have improved over the food pyramid they still aren't really on base. People should be getting a lot more veggies. If you are eating a good amount of them, you don't need to come anywhere close to the "2000 calories a day" that is recommended. Most people don't need that much. It's just that for them to come close to getting enough nutrients because of their diet, that is the amount that comes closest when looking at the standard diet.
    Invincible_summer
  • Monks and nuns eat whatever is given to them and once a day, a lot of them live to be old and age well, look at Ajahn Brahm for example, he has aged very well.
    many of them are also overweight and suffering bad health. Of course, diet is only one part of the equation. It doesn't matter much if your body is healthy and your mind is poisoned.
    blu3reeInvincible_summerThailandTom
  • Kaaaaale! Kale! Very dense in nutrients.

Gonna try some new ways to get watercress into the body.

Kale has alot of calcium!
  • karasti said:

I love berries. Thankfully we can grow them here, they grow in the wild and we pick them (and grow some in our garden). In the off season though, man are they expensive. $5-6 for 6 ounces.

I don't think anyone here is looking for a magic food to be healthy or loose weight. But overall, plant foods are a "magic" food in a way. Not that they do anything magical, just that the effects they have on us when we eat more of them can seem magical. In truth, it is just our bodies responding to an ideal diet. But what constitutes a truly balanced diet, and what we are told is a balanced diet, aren't really even close. Most people base a healthy, balanced diet on the USDA recommendations and while they have improved over the food pyramid they still aren't really on base. People should be getting a lot more veggies. If you are eating a good amount of them, you don't need to come anywhere close to the "2000 calories a day" that is recommended. Most people don't need that much. It's just that for them to come close to getting enough nutrients because of their diet, that is the amount that comes closest when looking at the standard diet.

That is why i was interested in getting a list together of a "perfect diet" 7days a week. The 2000 calorie diet is a huge joke.

What is a standard diet anymore? Especially with all the people eating fast foods 2000 calories of mcdees is mcbad.
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I have in the past couple months made it a goal to add in many more veggies into my diet, and it's had a natural results of eating less meat and less starchy carbs. All good things. Yesterday we ate at Dairy Queen and I ate a days worth of calories in one meal, and I felt horrid the rest of the day. Not even food. It's one of the thing that upsets me, or frustrates me the most about the US-the our health is sold to the highest bidders, putting out studies that say the food they feed is is fine when it is not. Giving people the impression that filling a child's diet with cereal, mac cheese and hotdogs, and chicken nuggets is just fine, because when you look at the package it says it's packed with nutritional value. So wrong.
    blu3reeThailandTom
  • Would you mind explaining in some detail; the benefits of basil, oregano, sage, and thyme?
    I would mind. Sorry. Maybe someone else will oblige . . .
    They have various healing properties. Google is your friend.
    Tomatoes increase their benefits by cooking. Yum.
    blu3ree
  • lobster said:

Would you mind explaining in some detail; the benefits of basil, oregano, sage, and thyme?
    I would mind. Sorry. Maybe someone else will oblige . . .
    They have various healing properties. Google is your friend.
    Tomatoes increase their benefits by cooking. Yum.

Id google it myself but i have a 1st or 2nd gen iphone. Which is super slow, but i guess i dont have a choice!

I never knew that about tomatoes! Thanks.
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited March 2013
    karasti said:

I'm not a vegetarian, but I have in the past couple months made it a goal to add in many more veggies into my diet, and it's had a natural results of eating less meat and less starchy carbs. All good things. Yesterday we ate at Dairy Queen and I ate a days worth of calories in one meal, and I felt horrid the rest of the day. Not even food. It's one of the thing that upsets me, or frustrates me the most about the US-the our health is sold to the highest bidders, putting out studies that say the food they feed is is fine when it is not. Giving people the impression that filling a child's diet with cereal, mac cheese and hotdogs, and chicken nuggets is just fine, because when you look at the package it says it's packed with nutritional value. So wrong.

That is what is wrong about greedy people having a say so when it influences others lives. Alot of the nutritional value is counted before the foods are cooked too so then they get cooked and vital nutrients get destroyed.

companies like monsanto genetically alter crops so they produce poison so locusts will die when they eat them then we consume the gmo crops and our bodies get plagued with toxins. Not to mention the ready up roundup the sell to kill weeds after the weeds get sprayed the toxins stick around in the soil for plants to absorb. the producers arnt required to label gmos even though obama promised this in 2007.
    Sigh... Sorry these things get me all worked up.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=/#/watch?v=zqaaB6NE1TI
    Obamas empty promise to label gmos.
  • blu3ree said:

karasti said:

That is why i was interested in getting a list together of a "perfect diet" 7days a week. The 2000 calorie diet is a huge joke.

What is a standard diet anymore? Especially with all the people eating fast foods 2000 calories of mcdees is mcbad.
    There is no such thing as "Good" or "Bad" foods. 2000 calories consisting of ANY ONE type of food is not good- whether it's whole wheat, unbleached bread (generally thought of as 'good' food) or whether it is 2000 calories of McDonald's food.

Sugar doesn't kill us, or even harm us, IF it's eaten in light - moderate amounts. Starches, alcohol, meats, fats, carbs, etc., don't kill us, or even harm us, IF eaten in light -moderate amounts.
    A healthy body will process these foods properly and without harm.
    If there is a disease which throws off the function of processing these things/foods then diet adjustments should be made to help the body work properly. Many times medications are needed to help regardless if diet changes have been made.

People who eat/drink the most horrible "unhealthy" diet imaginable, can still be healthy over all, and live a normal life span. People who eat/drink the most "healthy" diet imaginable can still be unhealthy - and drop dead of anything much earlier than expected.
    Diet (and weight) has a connection to risk factors for diseases, but not any sort of direct correlation unless the serious disease is already diagnosed and - at that point - diet recommendations are completely and habitually ignored.

Citta
    edited March 2013
    I agree, to a point. You can PREVENT a lot of those diseases by following a proper diet and overall lifestyle. Our tendency to eat whatever we want, and treat our bodies however we want and then treat the resulting disease is backwards. Yet most of us play into it quite well. First we get the 3 main food companies rich, and then when we get sick we make the pharmaceuticals and health industry rich off making us better. When we could do perfectly well planting our own garden and kill many birds with one stone.

It seems simple to most people here, but to many others, it is not. They honestly think that a diet full of processed food, is ok. Afterall, why wouldn't it be healthy when it says "packed with iron, calcium and vitamin D!" on a box of cereal, so we feed it to our kids every day. Does it make sense? No. But how many do you know who do it? I'd guess about 50% or more of parents I know do this every day. "But she won't EAT anything except froot loops!" Oh, she will, I guarantee it. But not as long as all you give her is froot loops.

Edit: I will also argue that a pound of kale is leagues better for you as a food than a pound of Mcdonald's french fries. Of course, if you eat a pound of fries one day a year, no, it's not going to have lasting health effects. But if we're honest we know that the person who eats a pound of french fries in a sitting is generally unlikely to eat a pound of kale at another point, and will instead feed themselves the fries over and over again because the fries are engineered for us to crave them. A pound of fries is no more likely to give you diabetes than a pound of kale is to cure cancer. It's a big picture, of course it is. But when you look at the biography of the people eating those 2 items, you're likely to see a pattern.
    blu3reeInvincible_summer
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2013

Monks and nuns eat whatever is given to them and once a day, a lot of them live to be old and age well, look at Ajahn Brahm for example, he has aged very well.

Quite so. Eating a fresh and varied diet is common sense.
    But the state of mind in which one eats is at least as important as what one eats. And an anxious obsession with what one sticks in ones gob is not condusive to well being.
    Whatever we eat, animal or vegetable, has died for us. Eat gratefully and mindfully.....and enjoy.
    blu3reeThailandTom
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I believe Michael Pollan's (author of "The Omnivore's Dilemma") philosophy towards food is this:

"Eat. Not too much. Mostly plants."
    lobster
  • I believe Michael Pollan's (author of "The Omnivore's Dilemma") philosophy towards food is this:

"Eat. Not too much. Mostly plants."

Ditto. Bien dit ;)
  • If you subscribe to Netflix (or can find it elsewhere) check out "Forks Over Knives".
    karastiseeker242
  • For B12 you can easily make a yeast culture much like brewers make and just drink the yeast that settles at the bottom.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Kale, Collard greens, Turnip greens, Swiss chard, Spinach, Mustard greens.

Steamed Swiss chard is really good, kale juice tastes like a mowed lawn... :)
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Reminds me.
    Beetroot. If you can, get with leaves. Leaves can be steamed, stir fried and yum, plus you get a root veg . . .

Don't like salad? Tsk tsk . . . learn to add cheese, dressing, olives, croutons, eggs etc.
    You can live on salad. If the Buddha was a salad, that would be a nourishing visualisation . .

The body of Buddha (for you Eucharist munchers)

I make my dressing with olive oil, a herb salt and cider vinegar and any herbs I have growing or available. I say yum. Yab yum.

:clap:
    Invincible_summer
  • Today on dr. Oz cilantro and garlic were covered. Garlic was said to help red blood cells remove metals from them. Cilantro was said to help metals go through the body via the kidneys.

:thumbsup:
  • edited March 2013
    A couple of weeks ago my daughter made some Kale chips that were actually pretty tasty. Tear kale into 2 inch pieces, lightly brush with olive oil, lightly salt and bake in 400 degree oven on a cookie sheet with pastry paper for about 5 minutes.
    Jeffrey
  • A couple of weeks ago my daughter made some Kale chips that were actually pretty tasty. Tear kale into 2 inch pieces, lightly brush with olive oil, lightly salt and bake in 400 degree oven on a cookie sheet with pastry paper for about 5 minutes.

Detroit zen center sells reaallllllly good kale chips.
  • Citta said:

Monks and nuns eat whatever is given to them and once a day, a lot of them live to be old and age well, look at Ajahn Brahm for example, he has aged very well.

Quite so. Eating a fresh and varied diet is common sense.
    But the state of mind in which one eats is at least as important as what one eats. And an anxious obsession with what one sticks in ones gob is not condusive to well being.
    Whatever we eat, animal or vegetable, has died for us. Eat gratefully and mindfully.....and enjoy.
    This does bring up an interesting point IMO, it is established that people who are highly strung out and stressed often seem to age quickly and are more prone to things such as heart attacks and other illnesses, so it is obvious that the mind has a profound effect on the body. Would having a healthy mind be more important than having a healthy diet? Or are they equally as important, or is a healthy diet more important?
    Hm. I guess right now I'd say they are equally important. I think they go hand-in-hand and it's hard to have either one without the other. However, I'd say it's easier to have a healthy diet/body without having a healthy mind. I suppose you don't need a healthy diet to have a healthy mind, but I think that if you do, your mind is even healthier than it would be otherwise, and vice versa. I personally find that my mind is much clearer when I have a good diet. Relaxation comes better, I sleep better, and when I sleep better that's better all around for me. How many times can I use better in a sentence?
    ThailandTom
  • karasti said:

Hm. I guess right now I'd say they are equally important. I think they go hand-in-hand and it's hard to have either one without the other. However, I'd say it's easier to have a healthy diet/body without having a healthy mind. I suppose you don't need a healthy diet to have a healthy mind, but I think that if you do, your mind is even healthier than it would be otherwise, and vice versa. I personally find that my mind is much clearer when I have a good diet. Relaxation comes better, I sleep better, and when I sleep better that's better all around for me. How many times can I use better in a sentence?

I agree that they do go hand in hand and one can help benefit the progress of the other in a positive manner. I have always thought that giving the mind a good workout, ie meditation is a lot more difficult than working out the body, which is quite funny when you think about the two activities from an outside point of view. One is moving about, lifting weights and running, the other is sitting down on your ass
    :lol:
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Spinach. High in iron, as well as vitamins and nutrients. Spinach is good raw, in salad, as well as cooked. It can be tossed into soups.
  • What are your opinions on eating things such as carrots, broccoli, pea-pods, and other vegetables raw? I don't live in a house anymore and have never got around to buy a hot plate, so I don't cook. Any veg I eat is in a salad and raw unless I buy it from street vendors.
  • edited March 2013
    Chia seeds
    Most veggies are good raw, or cooked very little. For a lot of them, cooking destroys the benefits. Some of them need to be cooked to make them more easily digestible otherwise the nutritional benefits aren't absorbed by the body. Potatoes for sure have to be cooked, legumes (both can be poisonous, actually, if they aren't cooked). The stuff I've heard about other veggies types, I've never actually verified but have read it in many places. They mostly say that cruciferous vegetables include broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, mustard greens, radishes, rutabagas and turnips should be cooked lightly before eating. Steaming is usually best. But, other people dispute that claim. I for one prefer broccoli raw, and I can only eat it cooked if it is covered in cheese, lol.
    Overall, I think most people would benefit from eating more veggies raw. One of my most favorite things is to walk out to the garden in the morning and pick a fresh pea pod and eat it. Carrots too, though I rinse most of the dirt off first.
    We tend to overcook our veggies, most people boil them and that tends to destroy a lot of the proteins and nutritional value. Steaming them briefly is best. I eat at least 2 steamed artichokes a week, and if I could get them easier I'd eat them daily!

ThailandTom
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

What are your opinions on eating things such as carrots, broccoli, pea-pods, and other vegetables raw? I don't live in a house anymore and have never got around to buy a hot plate, so I don't cook. Any veg I eat is in a salad and raw unless I buy it from street vendors.

Raw foods are good. I eat a lot of salads, with a variety of ingredients, so each salad is about 5 servings of veggies. But some veggies require heat in order to release some of the nutrients. For example, I've read that you need to eat spinach both raw and cooked, to get the full benefit. Some people swear by a raw-food diet. However, in Thailand there may be some kind of contamination risks involved with eating raw food, idk. In Latin America, North Americans don't eat anything raw, unless they soak it in iodine first. But if it works for you, then...ok. Buying from street vendors can have disease risks, too. In Taiwan, street and restaurant foods can carry Hepatitis B. So, observe whatever cautions are appropriate for your location.

• karasti said:

Most veggies are good raw, or cooked very little. For a lot of them, cooking destroys the benefits. Some of them need to be cooked to make them more easily digestible otherwise the nutritional benefits aren't absorbed by the body. Potatoes for sure have to be cooked, legumes (both can be poisonous, actually, if they aren't cooked). The stuff I've heard about other veggies types, I've never actually verified but have read it in many places. They mostly say that cruciferous vegetables include broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, mustard greens, radishes, rutabagas and turnips should be cooked lightly before eating. Steaming is usually best. But, other people dispute that claim. I for one prefer broccoli raw, and I can only eat it cooked if it is covered in cheese, lol.
    Overall, I think most people would benefit from eating more veggies raw. One of my most favorite things is to walk out to the garden in the morning and pick a fresh pea pod and eat it. Carrots too, though I rinse most of the dirt off first.
    We tend to overcook our veggies, most people boil them and that tends to destroy a lot of the proteins and nutritional value. Steaming them briefly is best. I eat at least 2 steamed artichokes a week, and if I could get them easier I'd eat them daily!

I can't find a link now but I once saw a report on the TV about some scientists quickly shining UV light over such vegetables as carrots as it was meant to boost the 'goodness' by something like 300% (my memory of this is shady, it may not even be UV light). But they said that maybe in the near future supermarkets will be shining veggies under lights before sale to boost the vitamins and nutrients.

I was aware before that cooking veggies does destroy a lot of the good content, but I cannot turn down a Sunday roast that's for sure. I haven't eaten one in a few years though :( But yea I have been eating all my vegetables raw unless I buy a meal from a vendor and then they are stir fried for about 2 minutes which isn't too long I guess..