Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Memphis area - sangha meetup

Just to put this out there--perhaps also for lurkers out there...

There is a small sangha -- of only three! -- that would be nice to have, well, more than just three. So I'd like to invite anyone to come, please.

It is in the Thich Nhat Hahn tradition and meets every Thursday night at 6 pm and lasts about an hour.

We meet at Quan Am Monastery at 3500 S. Goodlett St. in Memphis, Tennessee

If you are interested, contact me here and I can give you an email address--someone you can contact just in case the Thursday night meeting ever gets cancelled (and you can be on a mailing list for any cancellations should something arise).

Just FYI...
JoyfulGirllobsterSabreInvincible_summerJeffreyDakini

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Ok....It's too close to my house for me to come up with excuses...
    I'm in. :)
    riverflowericcris10sen
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2013
    I will be there in spirit if not in claw. What an invitation . . . :clap:

--- here is one for Missouri, with ice cream tea . . .

THIS IS AN OPEN INVITATION TO ANYONE IN THE AREA OF IRONTON, MO TO COME
    OUT TO THE NEW HEARTMIND MEDITATION CLASSES THAT SISTER KHEMA IS TEACHING
    IN THE LOCAL COMMUNITY.

WHAT'S UP?

WHAT? FREE MEDITATION INSTRUCTION
    WHERE? ARCADIA ACADEMY MEDITATION ROOM
    WHEN? APRIL 18TH--- and every THURSDAY EVENING AFTER THAT
    TIME? 6 PM to 7:30 PM

(also you can visit the Ice Cremery at the Abbey from 7:30 PM until 8 PM for Ice Cream, Tea, or Coffee before leaving.
    If you have never been into the Academy at the Abby Kitchen, you are in for a treat! )

------
    Is there a code word for e-mails? hahaha
    You know what happened last time.

Disclosure: I'll e-mail so you guys know I'm comin',
    but If I don't hear anything....I'm still showin' up! , haha
    edited April 2013
    For the record...I received a lovely little e-mail back from the
    gentleman welcoming me to Thursday, and included was a
    thoughtful quote about mindfulness.

:)
    riverflow
  • swaydamswaydam Veteran
    edited April 2013
    I really should try and come up.
    riverflowVastmind
  • We are definitely on for this Thusday @swaydam !
  • I have enough time to make it, so I should come up.......uh, add me to list......?
    riverflowVastmind
  • swaydam said:

I have enough time to make it, so I should come up.......uh, add me to list......?

You is added. The more the merrier! See you there!

Vastmindswaydam
    edited April 2013
    I condensed the above OP and made a snazzy flyer for the bulletin boards
    here at work. I put up a total of 6.....so....
    'If you build it, they will come'... :) ...haha
    riverflow
  • Wonderful @Vastminds !
    Vastminds said:

'If you build it, they will come'... :) ...haha

...hopefully not with torches and pitchforks haha!!

VastmindpersonJeffrey
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    @Vastminds- that is great that you and your son can share that! My mom just started meditating (she's 67) last week. She has a little cd that guides her meditation. I want to offer advice, but my world view is too wild for her, so i dont want to scare her off. hehehe. But maybe one day, we can sit togther .... if she agrees to try it without the cd. lol! :)
    Vastmind
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited May 2013
    @Vastminds - He did great, and so did you!
    lobsterVastmind
    edited May 2013
    FYI: I've created a nifty public Facebook page for the Memphis sangha here with a map and basic info here:

http://www.facebook.com/MagnoliaSangha

I'm also toying with the idea of a website for the sangha. There appears to be some confusion about the meetup days and times I hope we can fix. But the information here is accurate and up to date.
    Vastmindswaydam
  • @Vastmind , you can never win-- they'll get you every time hahaha
    Vastmindlobster
    Tonight....meditation kicked my ass!! I mean it.
    It's been a long time since I sat in a building ....no air....
    90 outside......Damn...my sitting has been too cushy and
    comfy at home, the last years. Dealing with the sweat alone
    made it work, and I have a shit load of real -life Johnny crap on my plate
    right now...so today....30 mins felt like a sweaty...heavy
    headed....heavy hearted...not fun....sitting there kind of thing.
    All my problems....all the possible outcomes.....salty sweat dripping
    everywhere....damn dog. The struggle was real today. Felt like
    3 hours. I did have a good spurt going that seemed fast...but you
    just don't know if that's dehydration and heat stroke or strike of
    insight....lolololol....
    For discussion.....
    I usually talk away....and I felt like I didn't want to be bothered...
    I talked myself down off several cliffs this evening.....
    Listened more....I needed that lesson anyway, probably..

I'm tired today.

Anyway....@riverflow will be getting one of my basil plants
    next week....for all the stuff he has been doing for the group.
    Keeping up the Fb thing....giving out books....leading group
    while Sir L was out of town....he really gets a bow a gratitude
    from me for all the stuff he is keeping up with.
    riverflow
    What a night of sitting! It was nice....
    thunderstorms in the background....
    and the temple dog sitting in the middle. :)

They were preparing for a ceremony, so there
    were big flower arrangements being made.
    I could smell them. It was just a
    gorgeous backdrop that night!

The group is making a day trip to Magnolia
    Grove in Baitsville tomorrow! I'm excited about
    going. I got the kids covered for the day and was
    able to make a go of it!
    riverflow
    edited June 2013
    That thunderstorm caused a fire in riverflow's apt
    building that night though. Children were hurt.
    Of course, we had no way of knowing that....but over the last day
    the whole duality of the situation in my mind has been crazy to
    see going on. The 'same moments' experienced so much
    differently. Dependent on so many things.....
    Views are a pain in the ass.
  • Remember that LOUD thunderclap you heard at about 6:30 Thursday...? When even the dog even jumped during meditation? The lightning struck the apartment right at that moment! Right then I wanted to reach out to the poor dog because it startled him!
    Vastmind
  • For those in the Memphis area, I've created a website with a map, contact and other basic info here: http://magnoliasangha.wordpress.com
    edited July 2013
    Well, our little group is really doin' the do!... :)

We started out with just our once a week...2 people
    at first...riverflow and Sir L...then C and me....and we are averaging
    about 2 visitors a week now....no one coming back yet...but
    hey...no expectations, right? hahaha..... We have added a social
    hour after, and it really has been nice bonding with my brothers
    in a different setting....just talking about what's going on in
    our life outside the Temple....kicking back and laughing together.
    We are making the trips to Magnolia Grove together, and that
    has been really great for us as a group.
    This past week-end, one of the nuns and I were
    under a tree talking,
    She said..." Do not want many people....big group.. it's better
    small at first. It's important to have good foundation,
    and good practice going first. Foundation most important"

Each week at the Temple....each day trip to the Monastery...
    each experience I have with the group....I feel the foundation
    strengthening. My practice benefits in ways I can't express with
    words.

Gratitude for my Sangha.
    riverflowSilouan
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    riverflow said:

Just to put this out there--perhaps also for lurkers out there...

There is a small sangha -- of only three! -- that would be nice to have, well, more than just three. So I'd like to invite anyone to come, please.

It is in the Thich Nhat Hahn tradition and meets every Thursday night at 6 pm and lasts about an hour.

We meet at Quan Am Monastery at 3500 S. Goodlett St. in Memphis, Tennessee

If you are interested, contact me here and I can give you an email address--someone you can contact just in case the Thursday night meeting ever gets cancelled (and you can be on a mailing list for any cancellations should something arise).

Just FYI...

This is great. I'd like to see Vietnamese Buddhism have better representation on online Buddhist forums. It doesn't come up much for discussion.

riverflowVastmind
  • Vastmind said:

Each week at the Temple....each day trip to the Monastery...
    each experience I have with the group....I feel the foundation
    strengthening. My practice benefits in ways I can't express with
    words.

Gratitude for my Sangha.

Inter-being with one another, a sangha blooms! <3

And with much gratitude, yes... /\
  • SilouanSilouan Veteran
    I admire and respect Thich Nhat Hahn very much. When I was totally against Christianity and having a very fundamentalist Buddhist attitude I happened to read his book, “Living Buddha, Living Christ”. It eventually totally altered my life.

Though from another book of his I quite like the phrase, which I'm probably actually paraphrasing, "When I see a rain cloud I see a piece of paper."
    riverflowVastmind
    edited July 2013
    ^^^ Our Dharma talk was about that very topic the week before last....
    Rain clouds are made of non-rain cloud things....like a piece of paper.
    A flower is made of non-flower things....like a rain cloud.

Vastmind is made up of non-Vastmind things. :)
    riverflowSilouan
  • Silouan said:

I admire and respect Thich Nhat Hahn very much. When I was totally against Christianity and having a very fundamentalist Buddhist attitude I happened to read his book, “Living Buddha, Living Christ”. It eventually totally altered my life.

Though from another book of his I quite like the phrase, which I'm probably actually paraphrasing, "When I see a rain cloud I see a piece of paper."

Yes, in that book he refers to Buddhism and Christianity almost as if they mirror one another-- as opposed to the sort of thing you often see in some comparative studies where one views tradition B as an inferior copy of tradition B (which always happens to be my religious tradition). He doesn't establish that common kind of hierarchy. Each sheds equally light on the other. In his dharma talks, he still does often refers to both the Pure Land of the Buddha AND the Kingdom of God in the same breath. He truly has an ecumenical attitude (which reminds me much of Thomas Merton-- and they both had a freindship during the 1960s).

He has certainly helped me loosen by own grip on unhelpful views too (and boy, could I grip!!! hahaha).

TNH comes from the Thien (= Chan = Zen) tradition, but sans sticks, and the approach that I've seen at the Days of Mindfulness at the local monastery lacks a certain "strictness" that I (mis-?)perceive in Japanese Zen for example. Certainly they have a certain decorum and rituals, but it seems to me more easier to relate to.

As I've practiced more with our sangha and also at the monastery, I have discovered a new affinity with my own Catholic past (and also my interest in Orthodoxy many years ago) via the rituals we perform. It has opened up new and fruitful avenues of discussion with my mother (my parents have always been lovingly supportive of everything I've ever done). In one of our recent conversations, I told her how I actually felt closer to my Catholic roots (despite of all my differences!) because of the rituals. I realized then that when I prostrated to the Buddha ("touching the earth" as they call it) and all the other rituals, that my Catholic heritage was WITH me, not separate from me. I carry it with me, and with each gesture. And so I don't have to have this "I'm not an X anymore, but a Y" sort of exclusive mentality. It surprised me to feel that way about it.

I find it a bit sad, in a post-Reformation world that ritual takes on a very different set of connotations: "its just a ritual," meaning "lifeless," or "just going through the motions" or some backward mentality that we should ditch (I think the split begins there rather than the later developments of secularization, which was, ironically, not possible without the Reformation. This for me represents one of the downsides of the Reformation, stripping the sacraments of their symbolic value, and actually damaged Christianity in the process I think). Ritual has a way of teaching in a way that sometimes straightforward verbalization can't touch--if one applies the right attitude toward it. At first, I felt uncertain about the ritual aspect, but now I totally relate to it, thanks to Catholicism. So I can smile at my own past and embrace it rather than frowning upon it as some "other religion." Funny how things work out that way-- it took Buddhism to help me reconcile with Catholicism.

Incidentally, I bought my mother a copy of Living Buddha, Living Christ and she really enjoyed it too!
    Silouan
    edited July 2013
    Oh, and also I meant to say also that in TNH's teaching of inter-being he derived a lot from the old Huayen school of China which teaches emptiness and dependent co-origination as mirror images of one another. As a result, one can understand emptiness as a kind of fullness too. The traditional Huayen school sort of morphed into Chan, but has a characteristic Chinese (and consequently a Daoist) flavor to it.
    Silouan
    edited August 2013
    So tonight.....after the incense offering, we proceeded to the cushions.
    "We will now chant the heart sutra".....OK, done that a million times
    before. Business as usual.
    Sir L put his hands on the cushion that holds the drum, pushes it
    in front of my cushion and says "I'll let you......"

:hair: My thoughts: What? No...NO..@riverflow does all this...I don't know
    what I'm doing!... I think I'm going to pee my pants.....I still can't pronounce
    some words...what if I mess everyone up? What's our
    usual rhythm? I don't know the right way to drum.....
    I only said Ok, and bowed.

My next thought: There's Nothing to it, but to do it! I took a moment of
    compassion for myself and went with what I knew. After all, no
    ears, no mouth, right? hahaha
    I talk fast anyway, so my speed was all over the place, to say the
    least, but I got all the way through it, to say the most. :)

Then, I had to sit with a belly full of nervous energy.
    riverflowSilouan
  • NEEDS MORE COWBELL. LOL
    Vastmind
  • A special announcement for our budding sangha:

@Vastmind , Cedric and I will be spending a Day of Mindfulness tomorrow at the Magnolia Grove Monastery in Batesville with Thich Nhat Hanh.

And all three of us will be receiving the Five Mindfulness Trainings together, along with who knows how many others. The total turnout will be something around 900 people!

:thumbsup: :clap: :om:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

THE FIVE MINDFULNESS TRAININGS

1. Reverence For Life

Aware of the suffering caused by the destruction of life, I am committed to cultivating the insight of interbeing and compassion and learning ways to protect the lives of people, animals, plants, and minerals. I am determined not to kill, not to let others kill, and not to support any act of killing in the world, in my thinking, or in my way of life. Seeing that harmful actions arise from anger, fear, greed, and intolerance, which in turn come from dualistic and discriminative thinking, I will cultivate openness, non-discrimination, and non-attachment to views in order to transform violence, fanaticism, and dogmatism in myself and in the world.

2. True Happiness

Aware of the suffering caused by exploitation, social injustice, stealing, and oppression, I am committed to practicing generosity in my thinking, speaking, and acting. I am determined not to steal and not to possess anything that should belong to others; and I will share my time, energy, and material resources with those who are in need. I will practice looking deeply to see that the happiness and suffering of others are not separate from my own happiness and suffering; that true happiness is not possible without understanding and compassion; and that running after wealth, fame, power and sensual pleasures can bring much suffering and despair. I am aware that happiness depends on my mental attitude and not on external conditions, and that I can live happily in the present moment simply by remembering that I already have more than enough conditions to be happy. I am committed to practicing Right Livelihood so that I can help reduce the suffering of living beings on Earth and reverse the process of global warming.

3. True Love

Aware of the suffering caused by sexual misconduct, I am committed to cultivating responsibility and learning ways to protect the safety and integrity of individuals, couples, families, and society. Knowing that sexual desire is not love, and that sexual activity motivated by craving always harms myself as well as others, I am determined not to engage in sexual relations without true love and a deep, long-term commitment made known to my family and friends. I will do everything in my power to protect children from sexual abuse and to prevent couples and families from being broken by sexual misconduct. Seeing that body and mind are one, I am committed to learning appropriate ways to take care of my sexual energy and cultivating loving kindness, compassion, joy and inclusiveness – which are the four basic elements of true love – for my greater happiness and the greater happiness of others. Practicing true love, we know that we will continue beautifully into the future.

4. Loving Speech and Deep Listening

Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful speech and the inability to listen to others, I am committed to cultivating loving speech and compassionate listening in order to relieve suffering and to promote reconciliation and peace in myself and among other people, ethnic and religious groups, and nations. Knowing that words can create happiness or suffering, I am committed to speaking truthfully and using words that inspire confidence, joy, and hope. When anger is manifesting in me, I am determined not to speak. I will practice mindful breathing and walking in order to recognize and to look deeply into my anger. I know that the roots of anger can be found in my wrong perceptions and lack of understanding of the suffering in myself and in the other person. I will speak and listen in a way that can help myself and the other person to transform suffering and see the way out of difficult situations. I am determined not to spread news that I do not know to be certain and not to utter words that can cause division or discord. I will practice Right Diligence to nourish my capacity for understanding, love, joy, and inclusiveness, and gradually transform anger, violence, and fear that lie deep in my consciousness.

5. Nourishment and Healing

Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful consumption, I am committed to cultivating good health, both physical and mental, for myself, my family, and my society by practicing mindful eating, drinking, and consuming. I will practice looking deeply into how I consume the Four Kinds of Nutriments, namely edible foods, sense impressions, volition, and consciousness. I am determined not to gamble, or to use alcohol, drugs, or any other products which contain toxins, such as certain websites, electronic games, TV programs, films, magazines, books, and conversations. I will practice coming back to the present moment to be in touch with the refreshing, healing and nourishing elements in me and around me, not letting regrets and sorrow drag me back into the past nor letting anxieties, fear, or craving pull me out of the present moment. I am determined not to try to cover up loneliness, anxiety, or other suffering by losing myself in consumption. I will contemplate interbeing and consume in a way that preserves peace, joy, and well-being in my body and consciousness, and in the collective body and consciousness of my family, my society and the Earth.
    Vastmind
  • What a joyful thread of change.
    Very simple.

Sitting.
    Gathering.
    Changing.

joy to read
    riverflowVastmind
    Here are some pics from the the last day of retreat. Most people had left and
    the last two classes we had all to ourselves, haha.
    Deep relaxation meditation and touching the earth. The nun guiding them
    will be one of my favorite parts of today :)

TNH gave a Dharma talk and though I had heard his bullet points many
    times before, I gained a couple more ideas for practice and he was just
    as endearing and teaching in person! He tries and does cover many things,
    so I always learn something new listening to him. The place looked great,
    and there were volunteers/workers everywhere, making sure things were done.

riverflow
    This is at the Temple this morning.
    We meet here once a week as a Sangha group...
    riverflow
    We have added walking meditation to the Sangha group
    ....and I'm really digging it! It's more of a challenge.......I'm
    a fast walker and a heavy stepper, so the exercise really
    forces me to be 'there' without the force coming from me.
    Does that make sense? I have never been able to count
    AND breath while sitting....for me, the counting always
    ended up taking over. Walking...my stride does the counting
    for me. :)

Quick little: My son was with me last night (10)....after
    siting and walking, we were having an intro with a couple
    of new people that came....one woman said "Well, I don't have
    a car to come every week, I had to borrow my daughter's car
    to come here tonight"....My son reached over and whispered
    in my ear.." Mommy, tell her it's ok...she can do the five trainings
    at home, and she can do all this anywhere."
    riverflow