Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and Freemasonry

TakuanTakuan Veteran
edited April 2013 in Buddhism Basics
A few days ago, my African American religion professor, invited a special guest to come speak to the class. He fancied himself an authority on subject of secret societies, and, though he was quite a nice fellow, linked the freemasons with a conspiracy to take over the world through... Hip Hop. He explained his theory,which he connected the Freemasons to the Illuminati and hip hop artists to the freemasons, for two hours. I was a bit offended towards the end of the presentation. Two of my family members were masons, one of which I know was a 33rd degree mason. They were not trying to take over the world, definitely not through hip hop at least. lol... or were they!? *dramatic music*

Do you think that Buddhism is compatible with Freemasonry? Yes, the speakers demonization of the fraternity has sparked an interest, and I've been thinking about contacting my local Prince Hall chapter.

Comments

• shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    We used to have a member here who was also a freemason and Buddhist. You're supposed to believe in God or some higher power but apparently him being Buddhist was good enough.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    shanyin said:

We used to have a member here who was also a freemason and Buddhist. You're supposed to believe in God or some higher power but apparently him being Buddhist was good enough.

And even then, believing in God would not disqualify one as a Buddhist. :)

I personally don't know much of Freemasonry, but the whole "illuminati" thing (especially in popular music) is hilarious to me. Just rummage through YouTube comments on ANY music video from a popular artist.

• rivercanerivercane Veteran
    edited April 2013
    DaftChris said:

I personally don't know much of Freemasonry, but the whole "illuminati" thing (especially in popular music) is hilarious to me. Just rummage through YouTube comments on ANY music video from a popular artist.

Couldn't agree more. And I'm someone who does believe in quite a few conspiracies. I believe in UFOs and other far out stuff, but this whole Illuminati/hip hop thing is just ridiculous.
    lobster
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    riverflow said:

Ahhh... Buddhist and Freemasons! The Illuminati! What was the Buddha talking about all the time? Enlightenment! that is, to be "illuminated."

The funny thing is that was the plot of his entire presentation. I'm not even kidding.
  • You paying money for this "education"? I'd ask for a refund.
    lobsterInvincible_summerTakuan
  • Do you think that Buddhism is compatible with Freemasonry? Yes, the speakers demonization of the fraternity has sparked an interest, and I've been thinking about contacting my local Prince Hall chapter.
    All the ones I have met I liked. They seem very grounded.
    It seems they represent aspects of truth in ritual enactment. A sort of Western Tantra. It is a force for good, apart from the plotting to take over hip hop . . . go for it. Do they have a Buddha Degree yet? About time they did. :)
  • Takuan said:

The funny thing is that was the plot of his entire presentation. I'm not even kidding.

I wouldn't expect it to be otherwise. The real point is that eben if the world is going to hell in a handbasket, at least SOMEBODY knows wgat is REALLY going on. And that is more comforting to believe rather than an unpredictable universe where no one is in control. God, the Devil, Jews, Rockefellers, Illuminati, communists, the Council on Foreign Relations, the UN with their black helicopters, somebody, ANYBODY to be behind the scenes. This sort of thing belies a sad insecurity, an inability to cope with an unpredictable world.

Living in the southern US, I've known too many of them (including some who have entire arsenals stockpiled). I bought into a lot of that nonsense when I was a lot younger too.

person
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran

You paying money for this "education"? I'd ask for a refund.

The school is actually pretty good. This one presenter, however, was not.

• Takuan said:

You paying money for this "education"? I'd ask for a refund.

The school is actually pretty good. This one presenter, however, was not.

Just joshin' ya :)