Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Failure?

2»

Comments

• Maybe to be enlightened is to truly know that you don't know, and be OK with that.
    riverflow
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    'nothing to attain' ~heart sutra*

still we need to know some things just to get through the day.

*and based on the heart sutra emptiness is form you would also have to say that there was nothing else than attaining
  • karasti said:

A When teachers always say "Fully enlightened"it leads me to believes there is some sort of partial or temporary enlightenment.

Good point. I don't think you can become enlightened and then, POOF!-- it goes away. I do, however, think there are degrees to getting there. Some people may be on that cusp of "close but no banana."
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Well, um, since laughter is the best medicine perhaps you could get yourself happy at least, or well metta'd if you prefer... :)
  • Why would you want to succeed if that doesn't bring you peace?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Well, if peace means no suffering in life, then while we live that is nigh on impossible. But, if we can succeed in being peaceful with meditation and the peace lingers afterwards, then we do have some success.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    So it seems, rather than being a Buddha, I should not even be aiming to be un-Buddha?
    Ah well, remind me why we are here again?

Is it the man with the clipboard?

The meaning of life?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meaning_of_life

The birds have vanished into the sky,
    and now the last cloud drains away.

We sit together, the mountain and me,
    until only the mountain remains
    from Endless River: Li Po and Tu Fu: A Friendship in Poetry,
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Ajahn Chah defined nibbana as the “reality of nongrasping,”
    putting the emphasis on awakening to how we grasp and hold on even to words
    like “nibanna” or “Buddhism” or “practice.”
    Well, if peace means no suffering in life, then while we live that is nigh on impossible. But, if we can succeed in being peaceful with meditation and the peace lingers afterwards, then we do have some success.
    You are wrong my friend. It goes much deeper than you think.

The heart knowing the Dhamma
    of ultimate ease
    sees for sure that the khandhas
    are always stressful.
    The Dhamma stays as the Dhamma,
    the khandhas stay as the khandhas, that’s all.
    ~ Ajahn Mun, The Ballad of Liberation
    from the Five Khandhas
    lobster