Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

what does your nose smell like?

sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
Hi all,

Happy day :)

here's some fun food:

what does your eye look like? (without using a mirror!)

what does your tongue taste like? (excluding when you accidentally-or-not bite into it)

what does your body feel like?

what do your ears sound like?

think about it! :)

or rather, sense!

I figure lots of people will just post funny answers, but I'd really like to get a discussion going on dharma breakdowns of the sense-gates; primarily the focal point / phenomenon, the sense-consciousness, and the supporting sensory faculty.

For example: form is the focal object of seeing; eye-sensory-consciousness is what arises (if one may word it this way); and the eye is the supporting faculty.

to go on, sound is the focal object of hearing; hearing-sensory-consciousness arises; ear is the supporting sense organ that makes it possible.

This is different from the conventional western scientific breakdown of "eye meets photons and magic happens someplace deep in the brain" and "sound waves meet the ear and magic happens someplace" ... the "magic" or the actual qualia of the perception is the arising sensory consciousness, which can be known and is an object of investigation in practice.

At least, this is my understanding so far. All contributions, questions, comments are welcome :)
JimyolobsterInvincible_summer

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    My own perhaps unBuddhist take on it is that the brain activity via the sense organ and neurocircutry is like the film in a movie projector. Our fundamental clear, light mind or rigpa is like the light of the projector. And the resulting 'movie' playing on the screen is what would be called in western philosophical terms as qualia and perhaps identical to the Buddhist notions of particular consciousnesses arising.

Also don't forget to ask what does your brain perceive like?
    lobsterVastmindInvincible_summer
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    All things are empty:
    Nothing is born, nothing dies,
    nothing is pure, nothing is stained,
    nothing increases and nothing decreases.
    Yeah Baby. Now that's wot I'm talking about . . .
    http://buddhism.about.com/od/mahayanasutras/a/heart-sutra.htm

If you examine the sense gates
    they have a form
    a point or focus.
    - examining their independent essence . . .
    What do you find?

Nothing.

The independent essence of all experience? Empty?

:clap:
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    i just gone done a 10 day fast/clesnse. the first solid food that i ate in more than a week was a bananna and a spoonful of peanutbutter. and it was freakin awesome!!!!!!!! and THATS what my nose smells like. Cha Cha Cha. :)
    sovaVastmind
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

What does your nose feel?
    What do your eyes taste?
    What do your ears see?
    What does your tongue smell?
    What does your skin hear?

That's interesting but there is some crosslinking. Smells affect taste for example.
  • CheChe Veteran
    You can get an eye full, you can give someone an ear full, you can drink a skin full and experience a nose full, but a tongue full sends my imagination on a wild roller coaster ride :)
    lobster
  • sova said:

Hi all,

Happy day :)

here's some fun food:

what does your eye look like? (without using a mirror!)

what does your tongue taste like? (excluding when you accidentally-or-not bite into it)

what does your body feel like?

what do your ears sound like?

think about it! :)

The eye cannot see itself! Neither can the nose smell itself etc.
    Can you see yourself, ever? Can you feel yourself?
    What do you look like at ground zero, really?
    What if what you see in the mirror is only what the mirror reflected but not really what you look like?

Sometimes we see a dog, crossing a
    plank over a stream, stopping half way through to gaze at the water below. It wags its
    tail, or growls, or keeps on looking at and away from the water, again and again. Why
    does it do so? Seeing its own image in the water, it imagines that to be another dog.
    So it either wags its tail in a friendly way, or growls angrily, or else it keeps on
    stealing glances out of curiosity - love, hate, and delusion.
    In this case, the dogs thinks that it is looking because it sees a dog. But what is
    really happening? It is just because it is looking that it sees a dog. If the dog had not
    looked down, it would not have seen a dog looking up at it from below, that is to say -
    its own image.

It is such a view that made the dog imagine that there is another dog in the water. It
    imagined that the dog is there, even when it is not looking. It may have thought: "I am
    looking because a dog appears there". But the fact is that the dog appears there
    because it cares to look.

Is the "dog" in the water real?

riverflow
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Is the "dog" in the water real?
    I am the dog in the water :bawl:
    pegembara
  • CheChe Veteran
    @ Pegembara (With the greatest respect) the term Ground Zero has been ubiquitously bandied about since 911 and now applies to most scenes of chaos. It was born of the Manhattan Project to determine the point of impact of the nuclear device dropped on Hiroshima, which was an air burst and the ground below it was Ground Zero. Journalists love a sensationalist turn of phrase and have IMHO used this one to death, if you'll pardon the pun.