Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Contacted a local meditation center

This was a big step for me. I think I've mentioned on here that I suffer from social anxiety and not only does this make it really hard for me to go places and participate in things, even just making phone calls can be difficult for me.

I first became aware of this sangha about a year ago, and it's taken me this long to contact them. Plus, there is some chanting involved and you are expected to prostrate when you enter the shrine room, and I was nervous about doing both these things.

The person on the phone was very nice and informed me that they are a very informal group and not everyone participates in the chanting or makes prostrations. A lot of Westerners go here, although there is a Tibetan lama who founded the center and visits often, as well as Tibetan monks and practitioners from the community.

Tibetan Buddhism is the tradition I'm most interested in, so this works out well for me. I'm supposed to go tomorrow night for meditation on the Heart Sutra as well as Sunday morning for bodhicitta meditation.

I feel like this is a big step for me and that I am continuing to make progress on the path, which is a good feeling.
kashikarmabluesSillyPuttylobsterCinorjernenkohairiverflowInvincible_summerVastmindSilouanYaskan

Comments

• Congrats, @rivercane! Good luck to you. Let us all know how things go for you. :)
  • karmablueskarmablues Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for sharing your inspiring story.

Ajahn Chah once said, "There are two kinds of suffering: the suffering that leads to more suffering and the suffering that leads to the end of suffering. If you are not willing to face the second kind of suffering, you will surely continue to experience the first."

So although going to that meditation centre may continue to cause you some anxiety, don't be disheartened! Just remember that that is the kind of suffering which will lead to the end of suffering.
    rivercaneYaskanChe
  • Thank you, both of you. And that was a very inspiring quote @karmablues. I'm glad you shared that.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Outstanding
    Inspiring.
    Good luck. Have a great time.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    CONGRATULATIONS!

I hope all goes well and that you don't take your fears as a guide. They don't usually make you swallow the gold fish until the third or fourth visit. :)
    Invincible_summerVastmindChe
  • @rivercane - wonderful! I hope you find it inspiring in your practice. Don't worry about the prostrations or getting any ritual aspects "right" -- just follow along and learn. Nobody is going to be keeping score on who does prostrations or chanting perfectly. Remember that every one of the folks there who were once newcomers had to learn all these peculiar things too.
    Vastmindrivercane
  • SilouanSilouan Veteran
    @rivercane

I suffer from the same very condition and know how excruciatingly painful it can be. It really takes a lot of courage for someone with that condition to do those things that most people take for granted, and I very much admire you for it.

I see it similar to Christ’s humanity being willingly crucified on the Cross and in his moment of pain and isolation expressed by the His words "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?/My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?”

It is still there for me in varying degrees, like a thorn in my side, and I used to think of it as having a curse, but now see it more and more as a blessing. When it becomes too much for me I give the burden away to Christ and He takes it, and that letting go brings me a calming peace.

May the spiritual path you follow help you let go of your suffering and transform it to that of inner peace and tranquility.
    lobsterkarmabluesriverflow
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    This was a big step for me
    :clap:
    regarding prostrations, chanting in klingon when others are chanting Pali, and doing things 'wrong' in general . . . it makes a wonderful practice . . . you have to be rather unmindful

There is a zen saying:
    No snowflake ever falls in the wrong place.

breath kindly.
    riverflow
  • SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited May 2013
    That's wonderful, @rivercane! I'm glad it was a positive experience for you! Thank you for updating us, too! :)
  • rivercane said:

And the whole place gave off a really good vibe, that's the best way I can describe it.

^^^ this is the part I find so elusive. I've "been around" ("spiritually promiscuous," you could say haha: Catholic, Church of Christ, Greek Orthodox, Episcopalian, Quaker, UU, and some others I'm forgetting at the moment). But my experience in the two sanghas I meet with is different -- good ripples rippling out -- the practice of others rubs off on you in ways that can't always be verbalised. It is hard to explain but I'm very sensitive to that non-verbal environment (body language, tone of voice, things you can't quite put your finger on). I know what you mean though!!!!

I'm so glad you went -- and I hope you go back for seconds and thirds and fourths and... ...
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @rivercane -- Now all that remains is....

Do it again. :)

Congratulations.
    riverflow
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Well I went to the meditation last night and I'm really glad that I did.
    :clap:

It takes a great deal of confidence to be fearful and anxious in front of others. Maybe you could try that . . .

. . . anyway . . . @genkaku is right, do it again

Bravo!
    riverflowrivercane
  • @rivercane

Thanks for the update. It brought a smile to my face. I use to suffer from a mild form of social anxiety. This has lessened as I progressed further with my Dhamma practice, but I'm still a quite a private person and shy.

Keep up with the practice and I'm sure things will continue to get better for you.
    lobsterriverflow
  • That is truly sage advice @lobster. Thank you, all of you.

I went back this morning for bodhicitta meditation and felt much more comfortable, although the whole time driving back I keep replaying over and over in my head whether I had did or said anything stupid or inappropriate. Those of you who have experienced social anxiety will know exactly the kind of obsessive thoughts that I'm referring to!

There is also a vipassana meditation group that I plan on checking out. I like this center but found that the service was not quite what I was expecting. Much of it is chanting and reciting and I thought there would be more meditation involved as well as a dharma talk. It is more of a religious service.

Vipassana may be more of what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure. At any rate I plan to go to both and decide later.
    lobsterkarmablues
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Much of it is chanting and reciting
    You also have an internal dialogue, as you are only too aware. Maybe add some new chant?
    I am inspired that you are going to another group.
    Wonderful. Wonderful. I will dedicate my practice this morning to those overcoming their difficulties. :clap:
    karmablues