Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

retreating in holiday

howhow Veteran Veteran
edited June 2013 in Buddhism Basics

Springs blooming/holidays looming/ I'm soon off again for some Northern coastal wilderness kayaking. Any other city slickers finding solace in the wild?
Invincible_summerZerozenmysteBeejkarmabluesStraight_Man

Comments

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    My girlfriend and I are going to be taking a weekend cycling trip on the Island in a couple of weeks, overnighting on some farmland. Not quite wilderness, but good enough for us!

We just went to the Stawamus Chief a couple of weeks ago - that was awesome.

@how - How north are we talking? Haida Gwaii?
    Beej
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2013
    @invinciple_summer
    The Chief! That's almost a 2000 ft high cliff of granite. Lot's of studio's have included that in action flicks. Did you climb the backside?
    & if so how long does it take.

I've done Haida Gwaii a number of times and it's south area is pretty unique.
    No our plan is to kayak immediately North of Vancouver Island as that is some of the least inhabited coast line but since my partner has a bit of tennis elbow, this year is a bit of a test of our aging process..
    Invincible_summer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @zenmyste
    My first "wildness" retreat occured when the monastery I was staying in, kicked out all the lay residents for 3 weeks to give their Guest dept (& the rest of the monks) a rest.
    I spent my time in retreat at high alititude on a Northern Californian mountain. Nothing but my food, fire, a zafu & my tent. It was tranformative.

I know other zenists (by the way) that could have written the same post that you did.
    Invincible_summerzenmyste
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @how - Oh god... I'm flattered that you think that we climbed that thing! :lol: I have an immense fear of heights, so I'll leave that stuff to the more fearless among us.

No, we just hiked up to the 3rd peak and came back down via the 2nd peak. Going up to the 3rd peak is very natural, very scenic. The journey impressed me with its wilderness much more than the view at the top. It took us about 2-2.5 hours to reach the top of the 3rd peak, about the same coming down.

Your kayak trip sounds nice! All the best!
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited June 2013
    I'm getting a nose bleed just listening to you mountaineers! :)
    JeffreyInvincible_summerlobster
  • robotrobot Veteran
    I'm not really a city slicker but I'm heading north to Haida Gwaii for the summer for fishing. I spent the last six weeks off the west coast of Vancouver Island.
    For any west coasters looking for a beautiful retreat I recommend Friendly Cove at Nootka sound. They have some rustic but clean cabins there that have a lake out the front and the ocean out back.
    Invincible_summer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Yeah but you might of had zafu's taller than these stories.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I usually go a weekend in the summer to my favorite camp site, I take a kayak and just a few things, and I sit on the beach and meditate and just sit and listen. It always takes me a bit to being alone in the woods (even on a lake) but I really enjoy it. I hope you have a great time, @how! I love kayaking. Have been waiting for the water to warm a little bit before I go at all, our ice out was so late the water is still so cold that people are dying of hypothermia yet when their canoes/boats capsize :( Be safe, and have a great time!
    rivercane
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    i am sooooooooooooo close. the school year ends on tuesday, and as the kids have a summer break, so do i. i am starting with some romps to local nature reserves/state parks. these will be day trips this weekend..... then next weekend, i am going camping by myself for a week. i have never been so in need and so ready..... :om:
  • rivercanerivercane Veteran
    edited June 2013
    You bet I do. Unfortunately I hardly ever get the opportunity to go anymore but I still want to so bad. I love camping/kayaking.

That sounds really cool @zenmyste!
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @robot
    Yes a great area.
    I think I still have photos of my daughter surrounded by skeletons in a burial cave that we took refuge in during a storm off the North end of Nootka Island.

My most interesting experience with a fishing camp in Haida Gwaii (being veggies) was in Pacofi bay on the park boundary on Moresby. Some US fast food billionaire built a luxury mansion for a fishing camp that was later determined to be too close to the park boundaries and in the end could only be utilized by the owners.. We were camped a few miles away when it's caretaker trekked through the woods to us to invite us to stay over night there. He had a serious case of mansion fever from spending months at a time alone with only a semi tame mink for company.
    It was a welcome but unexpected dose of luxury in the middle of a 3 week kayaking trip.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @Karasti
    Thanks for the warning. We have years of experience kayaking in some pretty hairy sections of exposed coast which has really taught us how fragile life is out there.
    My partner has just piped up that she doesn't care how dangerous it is as long as I can promise somewhere it will be warm. We have a knack for leaving our warm summery Vancouver climate to go where it's interesting but usually sunless.. I change the subject and she lets it slide again. Anything that isn't rain from above and salt water spray from below is just gravy...
    Cheers
  • how said:

Some US fast food billionaire built a luxury mansion for a fishing camp...

That's just wrong on so may levels.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Apparently he'd just spend one or two weeks there in a year.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    While testing out some modifications to our kayak today a mute swan landed and circumnavigated us a dozen times. With each circle it drew closer until it was grazing the side of the kayak like a cat wanting to be couched. Beautiful but unnerving while balancing in a kayak.
    JeffreylobsterInvincible_summer
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    :clap:
    What a wonderful thread.

I am on holiday, which means I will be working harder than usual to earn a few crumbs. Just cleaning, gardening, house sitting etc. Nice residential environment. Been watching fox cubs, lesser woodpecker etc.
    Cut the grass so can touch the earth with my bare tootsies. So the garden and local parks may be as close as I get but who knows . . . may catch a bus out of the city . . .

Thanks for pics guys . . . Vicarious nature retreat may be as near as I get . . .