Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    edited June 2023

@Lionduck said:
    Summer coming - cool June turning into shoe melt July. Unless of course you are in Southern Australia and New Zeland.

Happy Solstice everyone <3

Around about 2c here this morning which is about as cold as it gets in these parts

Shoshin1
  • @Lionduck said:
    Summer coming - cool June turning into shoe melt July. Unless of course you are in Southern Australia and New Zeland.

It was quite warm here this morning, a couple of people were making the most of it ...

BunksLionduck
  • I just posted a Bruce Lee clip (like a finger pointing to the moon) on another thread, and whilst looking for the clip I came across this..

Wow...

...talk about going with the flow...

BunksJeroenLionduck
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I had an interesting experience yesterday while reading U.G. quotes… at a certain point I felt the impulse to close my eyes, and suddenly I was not. I mean, there was no body, no mind, no thoughts, just a blank awareness. Not much sense of time either, so I have no idea how long it lasted.

Bunkslobstermarcitko
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Jeroen it's a start ❤️‍🔥

• @Jeroen said:
    I had an interesting experience yesterday while reading U.G. quotes… at a certain point I felt the impulse to close my eyes, and suddenly I was not. I mean, there was no body, no mind, no thoughts, just a blank awareness. Not much sense of time either, so I have no idea how long it lasted.

This is a special kind of practice which is called 'dozing off', and I experience this quite a bit during the day...in fact I'm becoming quite good at it ;);)

howBunkslobster
  • Just came across this...
    Karen Mills

Lionduck
  • Just a reminder. When you trip, don't blame the pebble, rock, dog...Don't say, "I should have known". Just learn from it, get back up, dust yourself off if need be, and keep going. How else are you going to get to your favorite ice cream parlor?

Peace to all

Oh! For the "Marikans" out there, put your pets inside for 7/4. For everybody else, be happy, stay safe and smile.

KotishkalobsterShoshin1
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Shoshin1 said:
    This is a special kind of practice which is called 'dozing off', and I experience this quite a bit during the day...in fact I'm becoming quite good at it ;);)

It was an experience distinct from sleep though, as I was still aware…

lobsterLionduck
  • @Jeroen said:

@Shoshin1 said:

It was an experience distinct from sleep though, as I was still aware

Bearing in mind (pun intended) the mind can play tricks on the self ( hmm and the self can play tricks on the mind)..._ one can also daydream with eyes open or closed_...

It's possible for one to daydream about the experience which thoughts have conjured up, thoughts about what the person had just read/seen/or listened to-the thought seeding the daydream, so to speak

What was the passage in the book you were reading when it happened ? Did it have some connection to what you have experienced?

lobster
  • A squadron of Manta rays in the bay this morning...( hmm I didn't know they were called a squadron of manta rays)

You can just make out their shapes in the water...

There's also been quite a number of dolphin and orca sightings around the island over the last month or so...

And yesterday morning there was a beautiful sunrise..

One of the seagulls divebombed me after I passed them...

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

In case anyone has a samadhi glimpse or becomes enlightened, they can discuss it here …
    https://squabbles.io/s/enlightened

• I have heard that there is a group of rays called the Mantra Rays. I'm told that if you place a micraphone in the water, you can listen to them. But, they ar very hard to locate diver going in search of them asked a school of Monk Fish and was told, "Third Sangha to the left.".

Peace to all

Shoshin1Jeroenlobster

Today only my left knee hurts, and only when I make a wrong movement with it. Considering a visit to the fysio next week. Definitely no ‘cranberry juice’, hate the stuff.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Thanks guys and former princesses,

My suggested cranberry juice mantra (which I never used) and your kind metta has improved my condition. I am still alive (supposedly, as partly of the unborn and living dead, I am not so certain).

I am in less dukkha/pain, sleeping like a baby (dribbling and waking up in the middle of the night). This medication Buddhism seems to be working …

https://buddhaweekly.com/the-first-doctor-medicine-buddha-bhaisajyaguru/
    TAYATA, OM BEKADZE BEKADZE
    MAHA BEKADZE BEKADZE,
    RADZA SAMUNGATE
    SOHA

BunksShoshin1Kotishka
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited July 2023

Beautiful morning first thing....

..on the way back along the beach the heavens opened up...

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@lobster said:
    At the moment I am in great pain and discomfort from sitting even in the tailor pose.

I am continuing my recovery by changing my diet. Managed to hobble to a nearby cemetery to our family plot. Just the right size. The cemetery is now partly a nature reserve, not sure about Buddha Nature inclusive … seems that way. 🕴️

Was very peaceful especially for an urban environment …
    Thanks again for everyones kind thoughts and practice dedications etc 💀

Shoshin1BunksKotishkaFosdick
  • So let me set the scene....
    It is 18.34 in the afternoon and 34degrees...
    In Lanza... Harsh summer heat...

BunksShoshin1
  • It's 7.45am and 13C with an expected high of 16C....

KotishkaBunks

Not sure about other countries but I’ve noticed young women in cafes having a tendency to call me “Love” when they serve me.
    Maybe it’s just me but a 20 year old girl calling a 50 year old man “Love” doesn’t quite feel right.
    Probably just the generation gap…

KotishkaShoshin1Jeroenmarcitko
  • In my island, they call you "mi niño" "my boy". Don't know what is worse... haha

Shoshin1Bunks
  • Today is Matariki (Maori New Year)
    "Ngā mihi o Matariki, te tau hou Māori".

KotishkaBunks

Just saw a book review on Tricycle, of the book Small Boat, Vast Ocean about the author’s three year retreat. Seemed interesting.

https://tricycle.org/article/small-boat-vast-ocean-solitary-buddhist-retreat/

• @Jeroen said:
    Just saw a book review on Tricycle, of the book Small Boat, Vast Ocean about the author’s three year retreat. Seemed interesting.

https://tricycle.org/article/small-boat-vast-ocean-solitary-buddhist-retreat/

Here's a Youtube interview with the author on the book. I've just started watching.

Shoshin1
  • Young gunman shot and killed two people and wounded others before being shot by police in Auckland central this morning, close to the downtown ferry terminal...Not something one would expect in Auckland central...

The FIFA woman's world cup is on here in Aotearoa and some of the international teams were in lockdown in their hotels close by...

Bunks
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited July 2023

Following up from the fatal shooting in downtown Auckland yesterday...
    During yesterday's shooting incident, it's alleged two people broke into the downtown ferry building and stayed there overnight, in the morning when the staff arrived, the two people rush upstairs to the clock tower space and refused to come down when asked to by the staff ...So there's now another stand off...

The police and fire service are there and have cordoned off the area again....

It would seem that the shooting may have triggered some people who were close by at the time and who may have already been struggling with mental health issues...

Hmm Dependent Origination .....

The manager at work's partner works in one of the building opposite the ferry building and he spotted a man on the roof of the building this afternoon and wasn't sure why the man was there, so he just took a photo and sent it to her ...This was just before it was picked up by the news...

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Well done #how, =) I planted individual supermarket garlic cloves next to my strawberries. I might dig one up to see what it is doing, expect no pics though … I have a feeling nothing much there …

• Garlic is one of those things that I enjoy eating (cheesy garlic bread, minced garlic with some fried vegetables) but then when I smell my or someone's garlic breath, I tend to recover my draculesque abomination towards it.

lobster
  • Finally going on a retreat - just a weekend - in November. Completing the circle begun in 2015. Eight years of discovery, tears, laughter, pain and joy. Weather worn, proud but humble, I seek to share my path of discovery I embarked upon. Perhaps it will encourage another to travel his or her path of discovery, of wonder and awakening. Perhaps as others share their journeys, we will be encouraging one another. Foe what is a retreat for but to learn, grow and be encouraged and in turn encourage another and to take one more step.

Peace to all

KotishkamarcitkoJeroenlobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@lobster said:
    Well done #how, =) I planted individual supermarket garlic cloves next to my strawberries. I might dig one up to see what it is doing, expect no pics though … I have a feeling nothing much there …

I only have any experience with hard necked garlic (not the soft necked ones)
    A number of garlic producers spray their commercial garlic crop with a growth inhibiter to limit the potential competition of everyone just growing their own...so say many displeased DIY u tubers, as well as the producers of more expensive organic garlic cloves grown specifically for reproduction.
    Also...while the common garlic plant might grow somewhat when planted normally, mine requires a mature clove to go through a number of hard freezes over winter before it will produce its bulb for the following summer.

lobster

On my 51st birthday a few days ago my father brought two Belgian Trappist beers. And my ex-gf brought four Amsterdam beers a few days later. Sorry fifth precept, it seems you will be taking a little holiday.

BunksKotishkaShoshin1

@Jeroen said:
    On my 51st birthday a few days ago my father brought two Belgian Trappist beers. And my ex-gf brought four Amsterdam beers a few days later. Sorry fifth precept, it seems you will be taking a little holiday.

Happy birthday mate! Welcome to Club 51 😃😉

• Happy Belated Birthday @Jeroen ...Many happy returns...

Thank you, thank you… cheers, boom clap… earlier I had one of the beers from local Amsterdam brewery Brouwerij ‘t IJ, it was very delish though it reminded me why I drink so rarely these days. It was an IJsbock at 10.5% which is a pretty heavy beer. Luckily only the one bottle.

KotishkaShoshin1Bunks
  • Well I'm off to the UK for a month at the end of September...Also planning on visiting Albania (AKA the Bora Bora of Europe) for 10 days...

Bunkslobster
  • @Shoshin1 Enjoy!!! :) Remember to share some pictures of your travels ^^

Shoshin1
  • This morning eye saw a mountain range of clouds hovering on the horizen

FleaMarketBunks
  • Beautiful Winter's morning, cold first thing but later it reach 17c ...

• Was the website down earlier ?

• howhow Veteran Veteran

yup!

• Are these incidents related to the future forum transition?

I’ve necro’d the old thread on 502 gateway errors.

• A misty morning...

The morning sun burning its way through the mist

Through the thick mist the sun still shines, lighting up the way...

Not unlike a clouded mind where Buddha Nature still shines through...

Looks very different in the fog, I was wondering whether that was your usual beach?

• @Jeroen said:
    Looks very different in the fog, I was wondering whether that was your usual beach?

Yes it's the same beach @Jeroen ...different weather...

JeroenBunks