Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Christmas Eve and it's bucketing down...Which is great news for us Islanders, (most of us are on tank water and rain like this is most welcome)...But not very promising for the tourists who flock to the island for Xmas on the beach....
    One person's fortune is another person misfortune Thems the breaks I guess....But tomorrows another day.... :)

Christmas morning it's overcast with light drizzle and bit of wind 16C. but meant to warm up later...
    Merry Xmas to Southern Hemisphereans and early greetings to the Northerners

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Merry Xmas!

More bushfires raging not too far from where I live.

Stinking hot here today.

Thoughts with the firefighters. Hope they stay safe!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-25/great-ocean-road-fire-blog/7054158

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

G'day cobber, hope you have got some tinnies cooling in the dunny!

May all sentient beings stay out of harms way over the bush fire season...Stay safe @Bunks, family, friends and community close by....

BunksWalker
    edited December 2015

@SpinyNorman said:

Stone the flamin' crows mate! I've blown the froth of a couple this arvo - got one in the freezer coz it warmed up in the Jaidyn Leskie on the way home.

• Guys just sent out a Lobsterian wish list to my dervish friends,
    See below.
    Expect to be zapped with blessings (baraka). If not let me know and I will demand a further delivery ... o:)

1. In case you give away a portion and save a portion for yourself, then this is generosity.
    2. In case you give away a lot and save a little for yourself, then you are liberal.
    3. In case you suffer from shortage, but give away your bare minimum to someone else, then you are altruistic.

Peace Dear Friends of the Present,

As we all know very early on in our spiritual and moral development, it is easier to give than receive. However as we move beyond altruism and the dervish foothills we start to recognise the benefits of allowing others to give.

Think of it as a parcel of Service.

In this sense at the very least we should be sending out our wish list.

Here is mine in case you are stuck on humility ;-)

- Prayers for me, my family, friends and fiends.

- Kind wishes towards the lax, delusional and downright bad lads.

- Peace and Love towards the Atheists, Unbelievers, Allahists, Buddhists, Gods and terminally lost.

May your kind offerings know no limits

Crusty S. Lobster

Oh joy. It always brings a smile to my face and a song to my heart when dear Lobster shares his sentiments!

It is good to have him as a traveling companion, and may a thousand camels without fleas grace his doorstep this holy season of Advent. (Inshallah, of course!)

(In an altruistic way, for I do not have a thousand camels to send. Nay, I do not even own one camel to give to him for Christmas. But I do find it easy to pray for his welfare, and those who/hoo love him. Praise be to God.)

Even though I have not been with them for a year or so, we have a batch of flealess camels on its way ... I thought getting the turkey in the oven was hard enough ... :o

More presents as they arrive ...

@Bunks said:

@SpinyNorman said:

Stone the flamin' crows mate! I've blown the froth of a couple this arvo - got one in the freezer coz it warmed up in the Jaidyn Leskie on the way home.

Streuth! I hope those roos haven't drunk all your XXXX ( I learned Australian off those Crocodile Dundee films )

@SpinyNorman said:

@Bunks said:

@SpinyNorman said:

Streuth! I hope those roos haven't drunk all your XXXX ( I learned Australian off those Crocodile Dundee films )

So did I!!

Shoshin

Shock Horror !!!
    I was all set for the beach, backpack packed slip slop slap, out to my car turned key in ignition NOTHING ZILCH ...I open the bonnet check water oil and battery connection, then tried again NOTHING ZILCH...

My neighbour is working on his boat next door, so I ask if he and the friend who was talking to him could push start my car, fortunately I live on a slight slope so not much effort is needed to get the care rolling, tried starting all the way down to the Esplanade NOTHING ZILCH...

I ask a jogger and guy walking/pulling his kayak along if they could help push the car to the side of the road, which they did, one even offered to jump start the battery with jumper leads, however he came back later to tell me he couldn't find the leads, but if I needed a life he could drive me, I thanked him and said no don't worry about it, I'll be ok...

I walk home and my neighbour offered me his card AA (I'm not a member) I ring them but only those annoying messages "Please press One for ETC" it turns out they are not operating over this holiday weekend...Then my neighbour said if I like he would drive me to the petrol station where I could buy a new battery and he would change/install it for me...

I now have a new battery ($150) and have just got back from the beach, , and I'm off for a walk to the local book fair ( $2 a book) to see what treasures I can find...

Overall it's been an interesting day, one of kindness and generosity...So I can't complain :)

lobsterWalkerVastmind
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

$150 is a bit of a hit. Ouch. :o Oh well, at least it wasn't a new alternator... :)

Shoshin

@Walker said:
    $150 is a bit of a hit. Ouch. :o Oh well, at least it wasn't a new alternator... :)

You're right ...It could have been much worse :) ...

And to top my day off, when I got to the book fair, they were sill setting it up, it was meant to start 'tomorrow' the 27th (the dates/days were wrong on the advertising board)...
    Anyhow the couple that run it I know quite well, they said come in and have a 'preview', so before the preview I offered to take the philosophy books out of the boxes and put them on the table, after which, at my leisure I wandered around the tables and ended up with "Selected Papers on Philosophy" by William James 1929 addition 'Everyman's Library' ...I went to pay for the book and was told I could have it, for helping out :)

WalkerVastmindsilver
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

I know this is from an old thread, but it's dated less than a year ago:
    Birds apparently do have the Right to Fly!

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/22872/indian-high-court-rules-birds-have-a-right-to-fly#latest

...And as I said before "A fat lot of good it will do for the poor Kiwi who might visit India" :)

Bunks

Boy it's humid...The sun's out this afternoon, after it went AWOL on New Years day, and in humid weather like this I tend to perspire like a wax museum on fire :) I walk around like I've just gotten out of the shower....

That's why English gentlemen left the colonies. ;)

federicaShoshin

We are getting Sydney's old weather....

It's absolutely bucketing down, no doubt all the water tanks will be well and truly full and flash floods and later landslips a plenty....The fire siren's just gone off, the volunteer firefighter (now flood damage controllers) are going to be busy....

Yeah, apparently it rained for three days solid in Sydney. Hope you don't cop that much @Shoshin!

Thanks @Bunks ....Well it seems to have eased off this afternoon, in fact we did have a bit of sunshine...For some strange reason around 4.30 5ish the sun breaks through, well for a while anyway :)

Bunks
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Here, we had plenty of rain for the past 3 days - rained all night last night, but woke up to sunshine that lasted all day - very nippy this eve and tomorrow it's supposed rain again.

ShoshinBunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I'll tell you what, my fellow Brits - if we get a loada crap about water shortages and droughts, this summer, after the Noah-load of rain we've suffered in this poor godforsaken water-locked country, Imma gonna kill someone....

Bunks
  • Water eh.

A few days ago I was walking along our local swollen river. Saw a kingfisher. Camera out hoping for her return. Sadly she did not. Further downstream police and the environmental agency were pulling out a fridge freezer from the river. Dumping is a criminal offence. Our fish, kingfishers and wildlife are becoming precious. Hooray!

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

My husband is NOT a 'morning person'.....

lobsterWalker

Oh, please... Do tell... ;)

No. Grumpy wouldn't like it. Suffice to say some random narcissist slammed his front door this morning, because HE let his coffee go cold..... but blamed his long-suffering and endlessly-patient spouse for making it too early.

Walkersilver

Oh yeah, those coffee drinkers can be quite particular about their preferences too... and they somehow rope a tea drinker into making it for them... I can't complain though, my coffee drinker expresses her appreciation for my efforts at least. :)

I live alone so I only have myself to blame. ;)

Bunksrohit

@SpinyNorman said:
    I live alone so I only have myself one of my selves to blame. ;)

Bunks

Boy it's hot....This morning I walked into the village to get my OP S fix (OP=Opportunity Shop) then this afternoon I walked to the SPCA for another fix, picked up three tops( $1 each) and a pair of (as good as new) New Balance walking shoes ($5)...I love it when overseas tourists come to the island and can't be bothered taking things back home with them, so they dump them at the local OP shops, One person's trash is another person's treasure beggars can't be choosers :) ...
    My biological cooling system was on maximum, I was soaked through, and just as I reached home I felt 3 drops of cool rain hit my skin, perhaps it will rain this evening..

Rained hard here today. It's January fer cryin' out loud...

@Walker said:
    Rained hard here today. It's January fer cryin' out loud...

What no snow ? Funny... I thought it 'only' snowed in Canada :)

Sometimes we get freezing rain in winter, but this was just plain ol' rain. Oh, it froze, eventually, but not on contact.

It's been unseasonably warm last the few days, and we know we're going to pay for it later. April snowstorm anyone?

No thanks, we've got our own gales, rain and 'heatwave' to contend with....!

@Walker said:> freezing rain

Sheer luxury!

Walker

Had to fill up the old gas tank today. 'Twas a quarter full to begin with.

The tab: $17.00 US. Price: $1.47 per US Gallon

• rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran
    edited January 2016

Asish Nehra came back and India beat Aussies in second T20.
    Indian cricket selectors are losers to keep good players out.

I hope the colonials are still grateful that English gentlemen invented cricket, along with sandwiches and wellingtons. ;)

rohit

^ Why keep insisting on misspelling "Colonels?"

BTW, wishing we had some British-styled politicians over where the colonels live. David Cameron makes our politicians look like naughty schoolchildren. Here is how he'd address some of his country's woes:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/prime-ministers-speech-on-life-chances

David Cameron is too left-wing for US politics. ;)

@rohit said:
    Asish Nehra came back and India beat Aussies in second T20.
    Indian cricket selectors are losers to keep good players out.

Yes. India have certainly improved as this tour has gone on. In fact I'd suggest the 4 - 1 scoreline in the one day series was very flattering to the Aussies.

rohit

@Nirvana said:
    Had to fill up the old gas tank today. 'Twas a quarter full to begin with.

The tab: $17.00 US. Price: $1.47 per US Gallon

That's insane! We often pay the equivalent of $6 a gallon.

edited January 2016

I'm currently trying to "liven up" the FreeSangha forum. Please feel free to join in the fun: http://www.freesangha.com/forums/recenttopics/ You need to register to see the interesting stuff.

Not that I would ever be controversial just to increase the activity on a forum...[cough]

Walker

Soon FreeSangha will be all about ice cream, luxury, and English gentlemen!

Nirvana

If only! Seriously though, I have no ownership of the forum and no plans to moderate there again. But I would like to see it prosper, not least because effectively it's the only pan-Buddhist forum apart from this one.

So I do what I am best at, starting interesting conversations. Being Irish and all. ;)

Drove past the Catholic church on my way to my place of worship "Little Palm Beach"...Anyhow the church was packed, cars parked on the grass, possibly standing room only...The first thought that went through my somewhat corrupted mind was "There must have been a whole lot of sinning going on !" :)

WalkerBunks

My name is Federica, and I'm a loom-knitting addict. Thanks all.

@Shoshin said: Drove past the Catholic church on my way to my place of worship "Little Palm Beach"...Anyhow the church was packed, cars parked on the grass, possibly standing room only...The first thought that went through my somewhat corrupted mind was "There must have been a whole lot of sinning going on !" :)

My childhood Catholic church had a bar in the crypt. As soon as Sunday mass finished they all dashed downstairs for a drink.

Yes, we had one of those at the Catholic Church we attended in middlesex. It's amazing how quickly some elderly members could move once the service had finished...

Priest: The mass is ended. Go forth in Peace to Love and Serve the Lord...

Congregation Thanks be to God.

~ pregnant pause while Priest left the altar, flanked by the two altar-boys.... ~

Mad and sudden stampede for watering-hole.....

Later on I was an altar boy and we used to drink the wine and scoff the wafers while the priest was out, very naughty.