Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I used to occasionally witness an altar boy fainting when apparently overcome by the incense-burner fumes.

How I know different.
    The little blighter was sozzled!! :lol:

silverWalker
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

What were those wafers made of that they were actually edible??

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2016

rice paper. Well, the ones in use at my church were, or so the priest informed me. It seems that there are several...'recipes', though.

See here.

Nirvana
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

The church I grew up in (St. Paul's Episcopal) used those thin white wafers that would stick to the roof of your mouth and looked like Styrofoam discs. They were pretty bad. The wine was the best I ever tasted, and I don't even like wine. Just liquid warmth that was memorable.

yeah, if I stuck my host to the roof of my mouth, I could make it last at least 5 minutes...! :lol:

no you didn't! :p

I did. My brother and I used to have competitions... Oh, we were such devout serious children...!

Walker

Ha ha, I'm sure. ;)

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited February 2016

Out for a walk this afternoon, I had been tuning into the stridulation song of the cicadas when one flew crossed my eye consciousness...My mind was taken back to the Australian bush just outside Sydney shortly after I have arrived (many moons ago-a couple of blue moons have passed since then :) )...

It was hot sunny and the cicadas were singing, a large piece of grey dead gum tree was laying close by and someone knocked it causing a camouflaged goanna ( Aussie for iguana ) to move quite rapidly from where it sat quite peacefully...I don't know who moved the fastest... me or that ol goanna....It's funny how association and memory works... :)

silver
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    edited February 2016

cicadas make that noise by rubbing their front legs together apparently.

My daughter and I were listening to them in the front yard a couple of nights ago and I was showing her how you could jump in the air near them and as soon as you hit the ground they'd instantly stop.

Always remind me of summer......

Shoshin

Yes @Bunks they are such a part of summer, but I often wonder if many people actually have enough free space in their minds to hear them....Sitting in my bedroom I can hear cicadas and bird song and the sound of workmen using some kind of machine that sounds like a gigantic wasp buzzing around ....

rohit

@Shoshin said:
    Yes @Bunks they are such a part of summer, but I often wonder if many people actually have enough free space in their minds to hear them....Sitting in my bedroom I can hear cicadas and bird song and the sound of workmen using some kind of machine that sounds like a gigantic wasp buzzing around ....

And isn't it funny how we can handle such a pesky and noisy sound like cicadas however if it were my next door neighbour drilling a hole in their backyard we'd be complaining like all hell!

Shoshinrohit

I often pass this boat parked outside what use to be the old Marae Op shop (it's now a arty come circus shop-let's just say "Ye olde weird shoppe" :) )
    Anyhow, 'anicca' comes to mind when I see the name on the side of the boat (which no doubt was put there to stop the council from towing it off to the junk yard) the mind tends to add a few more words to the name...

"...Well not yet anyway" :wink:

Walker
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Cool boat, it's even decorated with a Jesus fish!

edited February 2016

@Walker said:
    Cool boat, it's even decorated with a Jesus fish!

I'm guessing Jesus wouldn't need a boat to do his fishing ...come to think of it with miracles at his finger tips he wouldn't need a fishing rod either, :wink:

• ^^^ :cry:
    Fare thee well <3

@how may the retreat be a treat :wink:

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2016

Yesterday was able to catch pics by the river of five greenfinches, sometimes acrobatically hanging upside down to feast on alder seeds ... Hope they come to visit my garden feeder ... =)

The best things in life are free
    But you can keep them for the birds and bees
    Now give me money
    That's what I want
    That's what I want, yeah
    That's what I want

The (immature) Beatles - glad the Maharishi chanted a bit of sense into them ;)

ShoshinWalkersilverBuddhadragon

@Bunks have you heard about "this" the possible cause of some bush fires spreading....

"The brown falcon and black kite are believed to pick up smouldering pieces of brush and branches, and transport them to new locations. These birds regularly hunt at the edges of fires, but such blazes are not always positioned over food sources. By moving the fires to areas with a heavy concentration of prey, the birds create an easy opportunity to hunt frogs, lizards and snakes."

rohit

fricasseed.

No. Can't say I have @Shoshin. Very interesting!

• I'll have 4 fried frogs legs, 1 fricasseed lizard and a baked snake please. Oh, and can I have some lemon butter sauce for the snake?
    Thanks. ;)

lobsterrohitShoshin
    edited February 2016

@Bunks It would seem it's something that's been overlooked and no doubt has been going on for thousands of years...

Which for some strange reason reminds me of what Jane Goodall found out about our close cousins the chimpanzees.... How they would break off long pieces of grass and poke them into holes in 'termite mounds' and leave them there for a while then pull them out and eat the termites that have climbed onto the grass...

When doing property termite inspections, some pest management operators copied the chimp and would drill holes into the centre of the trunk of a tree where they believed termites were and put a long piece of grass in to check for activity...There's a lot we can learn from our close relatives...

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2016

Rose and lemonade herbal tea tastes like turkish delight. Not in a good way. You have been advised. Maybe it will grow on me ... [Edit: some time later ... the lemonade part is now more prominent after steeping ... Nice!] I think there may be a message in there somewhere? mmm ... Change happens. It will pass.

Thanks herbal tea dude, you haz Buddha Nature. o:)

Bunks

Have you tried tea made with leaves from the Lemon Verbena plant @Lobster? Very nice! Smells like lemonade icy poles.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2016

Yes @Bunks, lemon verbena is nice, use to grow it. Thyme, particularly lemon thme is good, easy slow grower. Sometimes use one fruit teabag to share a second cup. Topping up the herbal tea with 30% or 50% fruit juice. Yum.

Bunks
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Fede: anyone cares to rekindle the New Buddhist group on Insight Timer app?

Is it not a pity to let it slide?

Just wondering...

I stopped doing it when I kept getting crazy random messages and reminders...I think the app went haywire on my 'phone....

Since they made a major update on the app, the notification system has gone totally ballistic.

But someone liked a couple of comments I posted over ten months ago, and I thought there might be some new audience for the group there.

• I just read about a fellow in Florida who decided to off his 7 puppies but was shot by one of the survivors. <3
    Four of the puppies survived and found new homes. The man faces animal cruelty charges.
    The story came with a picture:
    ^&%^%& My system won't let me copy it :p
    the caption was:
    "That moment when you witness Karma in it's full glorious splendor."
    [The picture was an Adams familyish woman smiling and drinking either coffee or tea from a silver cup.]

edited February 2016
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2016

Saw a river naga (dragon) yesterday.
    Its head was eating glass and its tail was orange and fishing for Nothing ...

Explanation:
    It was made up of about seventy volunteers, clearing cans, plastic and junk from the river and sides of the river. The head far from the main body was picking up glass from the river path. The volunteers were winding their way down river as only a naga made of many souls can. At the far end a fly fisher trainee was casting his orange line without any fly ... Truly it was a magic river dragon.

• inyoinyo Explorer

I went to the grocery store to buy broccoli and I came out with only a box of donuts and then my dog winked at me!!

lobsterNirvanasilverBunks

Yeah. Dogs hate broccoli.

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Nonetheless, broccoli is the antidote to caffeine. So, if you've had too much and your heart palpitates a little bit too much, just chomp on some raw broccoli.

(Of course, this does not apply to those of us who've had our hearts surgically removed due to too much heartache.)

I drink bucketfuls of green tea and coffee, but my heart only palpitates over topless gardeners.
    And I don't think chomping on broccoli would help me with that... ;)

BunksNirvanasilver
  • May have found and identified a new bird (for me) - think it was a chiffchaff. Tiny and fast moving. Next goal, good pics ... I will also be on the lookout for an extremely rare bird called a bittern that has been seen near me.

silverWalker

I awoke to a smattering of "freshly-fallen silent shroud of snow" yesterday morning.... I mean, really, less than a centimeter. I told my mother it was the wrong type of snow. She asked why.
    "Because it's deep enough to see, but not deep enough to prevent anyone getting to work today", I replied.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Sheer luxury!

@lobster said:
    May have found and identified a new bird (for me) - think it was a chiffchaff. Tiny and fast moving. Next goal, good pics ... I will also be on the lookout for an extremely rare bird called a bittern that has been seen near me.

Are you a Twitcher @lobster?

I read a great book a few years back called "The Big Twitch" by a young Australian guy who took a year off work to try and break the record for the most birds seen in one year. Quite entertaining......

Shoshin
  • I am becoming a twitcher and now understand why bird watchers are called this. Apparently I am already known as 'the birdwatcher' by the local fishermen. I really am a total amateur. I do not go out specifically to watch birds, I just find picturing these twitchy little creatures quite a challenge. :)

BunksShoshin
  • GREAT!!!! <3<3
    That remains me, I have to re-certify. O.o

I feel the every parent, every teacher, everyone engaged with the public should get CPR and First Aid training. Actually, it should be an annual training for every student beginning with at least the 3rd grade through college. Every dorm and every school should have defibrillators and folks trained to use them..
    But then I am admittedly a little over-the-top about this as I have seen lives saved and people helped by this stuff. :3

Peace to all

lobster
    edited February 2016

Kereru (Native Wood Pigeon)

Checking me out as I walked by....

I love watching them stall and swoop like this

Bunks

I like these displays - although they played havoc in Rome....

• rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

I had asked help in forum about to quit social media addiction. I got great help here. One of the suggetion that social media are designed in a way that we get clicking and surfing there.
    I have deleted fb long time and saved lot frustration. Otherwise people are now a days very wise they hide there stuffs through privacy. No chance of spying profiles anyway.
    There was orkut.com which was closed in this way. Same was happened with the Yahoo chat rooms.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

A tribute to Frank Kelly who has just died, probably best known for his role as Father Jack.