Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Lee82 said:
    Indeed, happy Druids Day!

A friend of mine works for English Heritage and this weekend he’ll be working as 10s of thousands of people descend on Stonehenge. I visited there a couple of years ago and it is rather impressive to see.

It is rather splendid when the sun shines... Quite the most remarkable construction achievement when you stop to think about it. Bit disappointing in fog though. As I recall....

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Went fishing this morning. Don't worry I did not catch them, just filmed them having an orgy ... spawning ... I think they are brown trout?

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I am curious to know how a Buddhist like Keanu Reeves can justify being involved in such a violent franchise like John Wick? Interested to hear other's ideas and thoughts.....

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a27497031/john-wick-3-gun-violence/

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

I guess it's a case of each to their own & whatever floats one's raft

It's all Hollywood larger than life, make believe entertainment...and from what I gather a number of Buddhist practitioners play violent video games and they don't see this as a conflict of interest ...

I don't think Keanu claims to be a Buddhist, just that he respects Buddhism....

Thanks @Shoshin - my apologies to Keanu. I thought he saw himself as a Buddhist.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Fish who saved a life
    One day Nasrudin saw a strange-looking building at whose door a contemplative Yogi sat. The Mulla decided that he would learn something from this impressive figure, and started a conversation by asking him who and what he was.
    "I am a Yogi," said the other, "and I spend my time in trying to attain harmony with all living things."
    "That is interesting," said Nasrudin, "because a fish once saved my life."
    The Yogi begged him to join him, saying that in a lifetime devoted to trying to harmonize himself with the animal creation, he had never been so close to such communion as the Mulla had been.
    When they had been contemplating for some days, the Yogi begged the Mulla to tell him more of his wonderful experience with the fish, "now that we know one another better."
    "Now that I know you better," said Nasrudin, "I doubt whether you would profit by what I have to tell."
    But the Yogi insisted.
    "Very well," said Nasrudin. "The fish saved my life all right. I was starving at the time, and it sufficed me for three days."

source: http://www.jokebuddha.com/joke/Fish_who_saved_a_life#ixzz5sxzP588c

Quidditchperson
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2019

@Bunks said:
    Thanks @Shoshin - my apologies to Keanu. I thought he saw himself as a Buddhist.

He certainly behaves like one, and is not attached to his fortune, as one might be by the trappings possible, attached to such an income. He travels by underground, and gives up his seat for the elderly, he spent all night with a homeless guy, bought him food and just talked to him...

Unlike Steven Seagal, who has apparently been recognised by a revered Tibetan Lama, Penor Rinpoche, as a reincarnation of a previous Master... He 'wears' his Buddhism clearly round his neck, and on 'his sleeve' but I can't honestly say his existence is an admirable example of his alleged roots...

@Bunks
    Keanu may not be a Buddhist by name, but if all the stories are true, then he is a Buddhist by nature...

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

The weather here has been very warm, and the insects are greatly stimulated. We have an enormous hatch of fruit flies going on in the kitchen, but they are not yet so dense as to impair breathing. I don't intend doing anything about the problem - someone else is already on it -

BunkslobsterShoshinadamcrossley

A friend in need is a friend indeed...Mother Nature's biological control agent.... :)

• In the land of Shake and Bake, we had a warm, sunny day.
    Enjoy your life - you only get one at a time.

BunksShoshin
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran

JeroenBunks

Often when I leave stuff alone it sorts itself out....... =)<3

Shoshinlobster

Misty Morning...But beautiful warm sunny day

Bunks
    edited July 2019

When i boarded the train this morning I noted a group of school kids obviously travelling to Melbourne for an excursion.

With no prompting I’d say about 90% of them stood up and gave their seats to adult passengers on the train.

Respect 🙏🙏🙏

Shoshinadamcrossley

Each day for the most part our minds operate in a conventional way in a conventional world, as it has been conditioned to do...same old same old...However meditation practice can pry open conventional's door, allowing a glimpse into the ultimate and if one is skillful enough, mindfulness can be used as a wedge to keep this door ajar...

Well that's the plan :)

BunksFosdicklobster

That seems far too profound to be in the "Random Useless Announcement Thread" @Shoshin =)

Shoshin

There's lots of space junk floating around cyber space...

But as the old saying goes...

One person's junk is another person's treasure ;);)

BunksJeroen

Last week a friend came around for a cup of tea and spotted the daffodils by the pathway strutting their stuff...

Bunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Congrats Boris, but I really don’t see why anyone would want to be PM of Britain right now, the whole brexit seems like a poisoned chalice to me.

edited July 2019

it's possible this will be the biggest mistake in Politics, since Trump was elected President.
    Or it may be the best thing that's ever happened to the UK, and who knows - we might be in for some stunning surprises...

Whatever, you have to hand it to him: He has a sense of humour...

I want to begin by thanking my opponent, Jeremy. An absolutely formidable campaigner, and a great leader and a great politician. ... you've been friendly, you've been good natured, you have been a fount of excellent ideas, all of which I propose to steal forthwith.

(It will be interesting to see whether Hunt is given a post in the Cabinet... A case of "Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer"....?)

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

it's possible this will be the biggest mistake in Politics, since Trump was elected President

Well he was a disaster as foreign minister, it would be a huge surprise if he turned into a good prime minister. Personally I’d say he is a good cheerleader but not an inherently capable statesman. I think it’s a sad indictment of the level of critical thinking amongst the public that he got elected at all.

I think that you will all agree that we are living in most interesting times. (Hear, hear.) I never remember myself a time in which our history was so full, in which day by day brought us new objects of interest, and, let me say also, new objects for anxiety.
    ~Chamberlain Curse~

We live in interesting times.....

@Kerome said:

it's possible this will be the biggest mistake in Politics, since Trump was elected President

Well he was a disaster as foreign minister, it would be a huge surprise if he turned into a good prime minister. Personally I’d say he is a good cheerleader but not an inherently capable statesman. I think it’s a sad indictment of the level of critical thinking amongst the public that he got elected at all.

The Public had no say in the matter. He was elected through a process that relies entirely on Party-Political internal interest. Like the House of Lords, selection is carried out purely by interested parties only.

@Shoshin said:
    I think that you will all agree that we are living in most interesting times. (Hear, hear.) I never remember myself a time in which our history was so full, in which day by day brought us new objects of interest, and, let me say also, new objects for anxiety.
    ~Chamberlain Curse~

We live in interesting times.....

"May you live in Interesting Times" is said by some to be a Chinese Curse...

• Lee82Lee82 Veteran

@federica said:

@Kerome said:

The Public had no say in the matter. He was elected through a process that relies entirely on Party-Political internal interest. Like the House of Lords, selection is carried out purely by interested parties only.

Actually he was voted in by the 220k Conservative party members. Not politicians, but general public with a political interest. Of those that turned out he got 92k votes compared with Hunts 46k. So... not elected as such, but has a good majority of his party behind him which is a good start. Let’s be honest, when you look at the alternative (Corbyn), Boris has as good a chance as anyone at taking us forward, good luck to him.

Jeroen
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran

In other news, I was promoted to company director this week, and have rejoined the gym to do some regular mindful swimming exercise :-)

ShoshinfedericaBunksLionduck
    edited July 2019

That's what I originally thought too, however there is no known equivalent expression in Chinese, the closest one gets to a similar expression in Chinese is ....

"Better to be a dog in a peaceful time, than to be a human in a chaotic (warring) period

Despite being so common in English as to be known as the "Chinese curse", the saying >is apocryphal, and no actual Chinese source has ever been produced. The most likely >connection to Chinese culture may be deduced from analysis of the late-19th-century >speeches of Joseph Chamberlain, probably erroneously transmitted and revised >through his son Austen Chamberlain.

May you live in interesting times

@Lee82 said:
    In other news, I was promoted to company director this week, and have rejoined the gym to do some regular mindful swimming exercise :-)

That's much better news than the Johnson debacle!! Jolly well done, I say!!

@Lee82 said:

One for the Good News Thread my friend! Haha =)

Shoshin

@Kerome said:

Sources tell me he is not good on detail so the success or otherwise of his reign will be dependent on having good people under him.

When you now witness just who he has appointed Home Secretary, I think we can all safely assume this is the fuck-bucket of bullshit we've all been fearing...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2019/jul/24/boris-johnson-prepares-to-enter-downing-st-and-name-cabinet-theresa-may-prime-minister-live-news

Damning, accurate, punchy, to the point, no-holds-barred Opinion, here.
    And sadly, bang on the money.

Someone pointed out this morning that 'Trump' (in the USA) is a word for 'fart'.
    'Johnson' (in the USA) is a word for 'Penis'.

So we have a bag of hot fetid air on one side of the Pond, and a total prick on the other.

Tidy.

BunksJeroenlobsterShoshin

It’s too hot to do much today... phew

Bunks

This weather is truly bizarre... the forecast is 39 degrees C today, but on saturday, we shall enjoy a high of 17 degrees, with rain. Yessiree, climate change/global warming is all in your imagination...

Bunks
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran

Relentless torrential heavy rain all day today and local roads flooded!

I don't deny climate change, but I do think people are quick to point the finger at it. When they say wettest day since 1990-whenever, yes it happened before a long time ago, and a long time before that as well. Weather always comes in cycles and has done for millions of years.

As an engineer we design drainage for a 100 year storm event plus an allowance for climate change, and wind loading for a worst case event in 50 years, yet the most severe weather you can remember won't come close to those figures.

Climate change can be measured in some ways but we can't expect the earth to suddenly have a stable weather system when it never has before. Nothing is permanent.

@Lee82 said:

I don't deny climate change, but I do think people are quick to point the finger at it. When they say wettest day since 1990-whenever, yes it happened before a long time ago, and a long time before that as well. Weather always comes in cycles and has done for millions of years.

As an engineer we design drainage for a 100 year storm event plus an allowance for climate change, and wind loading for a worst case event in 50 years, yet the most severe weather you can remember won't come close to those figures.

Climate change can be measured in some ways but we can't expect the earth to suddenly have a stable weather system when it never has before. Nothing is permanent.

But everything is impermanent, faster.

@federica said:

@Lee82 said:

But everything is impermanent, faster.

Pffff....what would science know! :)

Indeed... bunch of white-coated, thick-spectacled, probably half-bald with wild, grey, long uncontrollable remaining hair round their ears, nerdy-geek boffins... Isn't that what all scientists look like?

Bunkslobster

For the last few weeks we have been basking in the warm winter sunshine with people on the beach sunbathing and some swimming (one of the warmest winter I've experienced in a long while)...But Shock Horror...Reality Check !!! ....we are in for a blast of cold wintry weather which is making its way up the islands, there's already lots of snow in the South Island....

Bunks
    edited July 2019

Just reading an article by an Australian journalist who spent over a year in horrific conditions in a Cambodian prison. Interesting comments he made:

"So the living conditions are very, very cramped. It's very hot and the humidity is close to 100 per cent, so it's very uncomfortable. Anybody who has scabies in the cell gives it to everybody else. Anybody who has the flu gives it to everybody else. So everything is shared, and everybody is sick, or most people are sick most of the time.

What I found most curious was that I experienced a very similar range of emotions in jail to the ones that I experience out of jail. There wasn't a huge difference. Of course there were times when I was very pissed off, there were times when I was angry, there were times when I got into battles with the guards and battles with the investigating judge.

And I found myself slipping very quickly into a kind of a routine that was ... I was going to say not dissimilar to the routine that I had back in Australia, it was completely different of course, but in emotional terms it wasn't all that different.

What I noticed when I got out of jail after 15 months of no choices, and found myself back in Sydney, is that we are confronted by so many choices, manifested in going into a supermarket and finding that there is 15 different breakfast cereals, there's 15 different coffees, there is 15 different teas, 100 different cheeses, 12 different kinds of milk and everything.

And you don't realise until you've been somewhere where that choice is taken away from you that each one of those little choices produces, I think, just a tiny bit of anxiety."

ShoshinJeroenlobsterFosdick

Now that's what I call insight. Perception is sometimes NOT Deception...

I was watching The Shawshank Redemption the other day, it’s cells compared to a Cambodian jail were relatively comfy.

Hah! Modern Western prisons are like Hostel rooms! They have access to TV, the internet (apparently carefully moderated and censored as appropriate!) books, games, recreation time, visits from families, cigarettes... it's not deprivation - it's living in a semi-luxurious commune - at OUR expense! Prison should be a punishment, not a respite from public life!

Bunks

Yes, he spoke of 140 men in a cell - each had a space of two metres long and 50 cms wide to live in. And there were two squat toilets for all of them.

And, because he had money, he was lucky enough to get outside for about four hours a day. Many of the men got out about 20 minutes a week!!

We have so much seriously, we don't know we're born...

I often look around my home - AND garden, at all my precious, carefully-cultivated and nurtured, beloved plants, and think - If I dropped dead, right now, what would happen to all this stuff?! And it is just that. Stuff. I daresay my H would offer much of it to my daughters, and perhaps my Mum would seek a keepsake... But a huge amount of it would be disposed of... and frankly, what would I know or care? I'm dead, right?
    "Nothing whatsoever should be clung to"

I wonder, when faced with everything we possess and desire to have around us - is it not we who are imprisoned by longing?

Bunks

It puts me in mind of my grandmother, who had a long period of deterioration before she died a few years back. She went from her own flat to a managed apartment in a residential home, and then later to a full-time care home. And each time she moved, she took less stuff with her. Of the last care home she famously said, “on my next vacation I won’t be coming back to this hotel!”

The point being, dying in Western culture for most people is a process which takes years of slowly letting go of living space, possessions and the body.

Shit still happens and it always will

An interesting little story about dog poo, plastic bottles and lawns...