Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why did the Buddha allow his monks to eat meat?

13»

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited July 2013
    General digestive disorders. A big increase increase in mucus in the sinuses. ( even when dairy was eschewed ) flatulence ( even when wheat and pulses were eschewed ) Eczema. Loose stools. General loss of energy. Weight gain.
    All cured within two weeks by reverting to a diet of grilled meats or fish with olive oil and lemon. sashimi, carpaccios, salads, shellfish, fresh fruit....result.... peace.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    karasti said:

Do vegans get enough B12 just from fortified foods like cereal then? Or what do they eat to get it?

It can be obtained from just fortified foods yes. However, most responsible vegans take some type of supplement also.
    Citta said:

Please feel free to be as sceptical ( and judgemental ) as you like.
    I tried on three occasions to be vegetarian.
    I took advice from experienced vegetarians.
    I tried a number of vegetarian diets, including an aryuvedic diet, a macrobiotic diet, a vegetarian diet based around mediterreanean cusine, a diet replacing meat with soy protein, a diet replacing meat with Quorn, a pulse based diet...and each time my health suffered. I took advice from the hospital dietician whose wife is a vegetarian, he assured me that it was a transitional phase...it wasn't.
    Feel free to ascribe any kind of of untruthfulness or evasion to this account that appeals to your sense of righteousness.

It would be better if you did not go around calling people judgmental and self righteous. That is pretty unreasonable as well as rude.

• Citta said:

General digestive disorders. A big increase increase in mucus in the sinuses. ( even when dairy was eschewed ) flatulence ( even when wheat and pulses were eschewed ) Eczema. Loose stools. General loss of energy. Weight gain.
    All cured within two weeks by reverting to a diet of grilled meats or fish with olive oil and lemon. sashimi, carpaccios, salads, shellfish, fresh fruit....result.... peace.

So, to clarify, other than the reintroduction of animal products your diet remained identical? Before trying veggie you ate dairy, wheat and pulses and continued to do so after re-introducing meat?

• CittaCitta Veteran
    seeker242 said:

karasti said:

Do vegans get enough B12 just from fortified foods like cereal then? Or what do they eat to get it?

It can be obtained from just fortified foods yes. However, most responsible vegans take some type of supplement also.
    Citta said:

Please feel free to be as sceptical ( and judgemental ) as you like.
    I tried on three occasions to be vegetarian.
    I took advice from experienced vegetarians.
    I tried a number of vegetarian diets, including an aryuvedic diet, a macrobiotic diet, a vegetarian diet based around mediterreanean cusine, a diet replacing meat with soy protein, a diet replacing meat with Quorn, a pulse based diet...and each time my health suffered. I took advice from the hospital dietician whose wife is a vegetarian, he assured me that it was a transitional phase...it wasn't.
    Feel free to ascribe any kind of of untruthfulness or evasion to this account that appeals to your sense of righteousness.

It would be better if you did not go around calling people judgmental and self righteous. That is pretty unreasonable as well as rude.

Really ? Well I think declaring yourself to be " skeptical" about other peoples accounts made in good faith as to the effects of their diet is even more unreasonable and rude. Particularly from someone with a serial compulsion to comment on what other people have for lunch.
    Kundo
    edited July 2013
    Citta said:

Really ? Well I think declaring yourself to be " skeptical" about other peoples accounts made in good faith as to the effects of their diet is even more unreasonable and rude. Particularly from someone with a serial compulsion to comment on what other people have for lunch.

Yes, name calling is rude no matter how you try to spin it.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    In responding to a generalisation concerning the effects of specific diets I have probably muddied my presentation of my own position on the subject. Which is basically that I have no interest in what folk have for lunch..none.
    I joined this forum to discuss the commonalities of Buddhadharma.
    I have had two main teachers. Neither of whom eats or ate an exclusively vegetarian diet. Neither of them expressed any interest in the matter.
    I have no interest in what any other member eats. It is none of my business. It is irrelevant.
    The Buddha's words as recorded in the Pali Canon do not address the issue other than to counsel against over or under eating.
    Neither is it the business of other members what I eat. It is none of their business. It is irrelevant.
    What we can say for sure is that according to the Pali Canon the Buddha was similarly indifferent to the content of what his followers ate..as long as they ate it in accordance to the Vinaya.
    There are religions which place lunch central stage.
    Buddhadharma in most of its forms does not.

edited July 2013
    If one is interested in the Buddhadharma, then it would be prudent to not call people names. Name calling is contrary to the Buddhadharma. If one has no interest in food issues, it would probably be prudent to says away from threads discussing it. Even more so if one can not restrain themselves from name calling.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Whereas its ok to say that people are "going to hell " because of what they take on a picnic...rofl.
    The thread is not about food issues per se. It is called ' Why did the Buddha ALLOW his monks to eat meat.'

A question that you consistently fail to address in your replies.
    I have addressed it.
    He allowed his monks to eat meat because the eating or not eating of meat was not a core concern to him.
    So, why do YOU think he allowed it seeker242 ?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Shall we quit the BICKERING - NOW??

Do let's.
    before I need to edit/smack knuckles, okay?
    riverflowKundoaMatt
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Ouch ! Okay.
    riverflow
    Citta said:

So, why do YOU think he allowed it seeker242 ?

The Buddha allowed his monks because they did not shop at a supermarket where they had hundreds of choices and could chose whatever they wanted. They did not handle money and they did not spend money. It is said right in the Canon why he allowed it and Mahayana scriptures disagree with the Canon.

However, it's quite obvious that meat was an issue to him. That is why he laid down strict circumstances of when it can and can not be eaten and that is why some particular types of meat were forbidden under any circumstances. If it was not an issue, he would not have called business in it "wrong livelihood". The issue of why the Buddha called business in meat wrong livelihood, is often conveniently overlooked.

• karmablueskarmablues Veteran
    edited July 2013
    seeker242 said:

It is said right in the Canon why he allowed it and Mahayana scriptures disagree with the Canon.

Actually, it is only in the Mahayana texts (Nirvana Sutra, Lankavatara Sutra and Surangama Sutra) that the Buddha explicitly state the reasons for allowing his monks to eat pure meat. The Pali Canon is silent about the reason for the allowance. However, as I explained in the original post, it is possible to argue, based on the Amangandha Sutta, that the reason for the allowance is that the Buddha saw no direct connection between defiled states of the mind and meat eating. Furthermore, I later concurred to your suggestion that the allowance was also made in the context of the monk's way of life, but this is not explicitly stated in the Canon either.
    seeker242 said:

However, it's quite obvious that meat was an issue to him. That is why he laid down strict circumstances of when it can and can not be eaten and that is why some particular types of meat were forbidden under any circumstances. If it was not an issue, he would not have called business in it "wrong livelihood". The issue of why the Buddha called business in meat wrong livelihood, is often conveniently overlooked.

While I would agree that meat eating was an issue for him in relation to his monks, it nevertheless was not an issue for him with regard to laypeople. The business in meat prohibition is more an issue of the first precept, ie. the direct killing of animals, rather than an issue related to meat buying or meat eating.

The Pali Commentary to the relevant Sutta states:
    Sattame vaṇijjāti vāṇijakammāni. Upāsakenāti tisaraṇagatena. Satthavaṇijjāti āvudhabhaṇḍaṃ kāretvā tassa vikkayo. Sattavaṇijjāti manussavikkayo. Maṃsavaṇijjāti sūkaramigādayo posetvā tesaṃ vikkayo. Majjavaṇijjāti yaṃkiñci majjaṃ kāretvā tassa vikkayo. Visavaṇijjāti visaṃ kāretvā tassa vikkayo. Iti sabbampi imaṃ vaṇijjaṃ neva attanā kātuṃ, na pare samādapetvā kāretuṃ vaṭṭati.
    So according to the Pali Commentaries, business in meat means "having raised pigs or deer, etc., one sells them." which is trade in animals for slaughter.

That is why in several books and articles by learned monastics, the prohibiton against business in meat is equated to being a prohibition of trade in live animals for slaughter and nothing beyond that, eg. What the Buddha Taught by Ven. Walpola Rahula, The Buddha's Ancient Path by Ven. Piyadassi Maha Thera, Buddhism and Economic Justice by Ven. Rewata Dhamma, The Eightfold Path by Ven. Sucitto.

Therefore, the Buddha was here concerned with laypeople engaged in the actual act of slaughtering animals or raising them to be slaughtered. The prohibition against business in meat was thus mentioned specifically due to the prevalence of herdsmen/cattle farmers in India during that time. So the fact that this prohibition was mentioned does not show that Buddha had a big concern for meat buying and meat eating amongst laypeople.

Please also consider this excerpt from Orthodox Chinese Buddhism: A Contemporary Chan Master's Answers to Common Questions (2007) by Dharma Master Sheng Yen, founder of the Dharma Drum lineage of Chan Buddhism:
    If one has faith in Buddhism, does one need to become a vegetarian?

No. Although Buddhism encourages vegetarianism, it does not require all Buddhists to be vegetarians. Vegetarianism is a unique feature of Mahayana Buddhist practice, motivated by great compassion for all sentient beings. In countries where Theravada Buddhism prevails a vegetarian diet is not required, even for the monks. In Tibet, lamas are not required to be vegetarians either, but they cannot personally kill living beings.

Since the first of the five precepts is not to kill, after becoming a Buddhist it is best if one can become a vegetarian. But if for family or social reasons being a vegetarian is difficult, one can be excused for eating meat. In no case, however, is one permitted to directly kill or instruct others to kill. Buying the meat of previously slaughtered animals to bring home is permitted.
    Basically, in the second paragraph, Master Sheng Yen seems to be speaking about Buddhism in general and not the practice of any particular school. If merely for social reasons (not even medical reason is needed!), one can be "excused for eating meat" and if purchasing meat of previously slaughtered animals is "permitted", I think it is quite clear that even Master Sheng Yen, who is a learned Mahayana monk, believes that the issue of meat eating was not actually that big a concern of the Buddha. If Master Sheng Yen believes that Buddha gave a big concern about meat eating and meat buying, then certainly a much higher criteria such as medical requirements would be needed to excuse the eating of meat. Also, he would not have said that buying of meat was "permitted" which implies that doing so is more or less a blameless act.
    edited July 2013

However, as I explained in the original post, it is possible to argue, based on the Amangandha Sutta, that the reason for the allowance is that the Buddha saw no direct connection between defiled states of the mind and meat eating.

Under the 3 specific circumstances yes you could say he saw no direct connection. But, outside those circumstances one could say he did see a direct connection yes? Which is why it was forbidden to eat it if it was "seen, heard or suspected" that the animal was killed for the monk. This suggests to me that the issue is not completely irrelevant. Sure, it's not as big of an issue as killing an animal yourself. But, to say that the issue of food is altogether irrelevant, I don't think that is in accordance with what the Buddha said on the matter. If it was completely irrelevant, then there would not be specific circumstances where it could and could not be eaten. There would be the same rules of eating as there are with vegetables, which there aren't any.

But if for family or social reasons being a vegetarian is difficult, one can be excused for eating meat.

I would agree with all that. Although, the reason is often just "I don't want to stop eating it because it tastes good". I personally don't see that as a valid excuse.

Also, he would not have said that buying of meat was "permitted" which implies that doing so is more or less a blameless act.
    Is he saying here that for everyone it's permitted? Or is that statement speaking in the context of a person where it's difficult to chose, etc? I don't think here he is saying it's a blameless act if he is only referring to people where it's quite difficult or impossible to be vegetarian. Although, we can't ask him to clarify because he's dead! I don't think it's safe to assume he was speaking also for people who can easily make any choice they want.
    I think it is quite clear that even Master Sheng Yen, who is a learned Mahayana monk, believes that the issue of meat eating was not actually that big a concern of the Buddha
    My point concerning that was not to assert that is was this great big deal, but only to demonstrate that it was not completely irrelevant. Master Sheng Yen certainly did not see it as irrelevant. I don't believe shakyamuni did either.

As far as the business in meat comments go, that is interesting. I will have to look into that further. Although, I find it difficult to believe that a modern day butcher shop, who purchases carcases from a slaughterhouse to sell, does not fall under that description.

:om:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I would agree with all that. Although, the reason is often just "I don't want to stop eating it because it tastes good". I personally don't see that as a valid excuse.
    I would say most Tibetan/Nepalese Buddhists follow Mahayana..
    Most native Tibetan/Nepalese Buddhists eat meat.
    It's a necessary tactic, as vegetables in abundance are not always available....

So I'm informed....
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Zayl said:

Bad for your health? it is not. In overly large quantities yes, but that is true of anything. We are omnivores, we evolved eating meat. So it is not bad for you so long as you do not gorge yourself on it. Though nowadays what with all the hormone and steroid injections in meat even I rarely eat it.

Many studies have shown is it worse than a vegie diet for your health (particularly heart health). As I said to Vinlyn, you cannot simply say "we" are carnivores as a given fact, because many many millions of humans are actually not meat eaters, and they are healthier on average than those who are.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    seeker242 said:

Just buying and eating a hamburger is not the same as chopping a cows head off in your backyard. I don't think it's a neutral activity either though. As the money that is willingly and intentionally paid, goes to people who actually do the killing thereby involving oneself in the whole process.

Just imagine if everyone stopped buying meat. With zero demand, the killing would stop. Facing that simple truth is an important step in awareness of animal compassion.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Daozen said:

Many studies have shown is it worse than a vegie diet for your health (particularly heart health). As I said to Vinlyn, you cannot simply say "we" are carnivores as a given fact, because many many millions of humans are actually not meat eaters, and they are healthier on average than those who are.

When -- as in the United States -- only 5% of the people self-identify as vegetarians (Gallup, 2012), you cannot say that vegetarianism is "normal American human behavior". There are some pro-vegetarian groups who claim only about 3% vegetarian. Now you can slice it and dice it any way you want, but the VAST majority of Americans (and almost every other society) are meat eaters. It's rather difficult to think of very many other human behaviors when 95%-97% of all humans follow any one behavior pattern.

Citta
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited July 2013
    I am sure you are correc
    Daozen said:

Zayl said:

Bad for your health? it is not. In overly large quantities yes, but that is true of anything. We are omnivores, we evolved eating meat. So it is not bad for you so long as you do not gorge yourself on it. Though nowadays what with all the hormone and steroid injections in meat even I rarely eat it.

No, actually by any criteria they are not. Whether you measure health by longevity, by infant mortality rates or by the incidence of acute disease, those countries...which actually means India..which have a high proportion of its population eating a vegetarian diet has a worse health record.
    What we see in developed nations is a higher rate of the diseases that come with an older population...and that's because we live longer !
    And many medics are saying ( next time I am at work I will dig out the references ) that the next few decades are going to see a time bomb in the shape of degenerative conditions brought about by the adoption of a long term vegan diet ..which is unprecedented in terms of the western metabolism. There is already a steady stream of reports of CNS damage caused directly by a vegan diet..I encountered one myself a year or two ago, referred for mental health reasons but whose confusional state turned out to be the result of being chronically malnourished.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    federica said:

I would say most Tibetan/Nepalese Buddhists follow Mahayana..
    Most native Tibetan/Nepalese Buddhists eat meat.
    It's a necessary tactic, as vegetables in abundance are not always available....

So I'm informed....

And most Japanese and Cambodian Mahayanist Monks are omnivores even though they do have alternatives..although most Japanese prefer fish.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    vinlyn said:

When -- as in the United States -- only 5% of the people self-identify as vegetarians (Gallup, 2012), you cannot say that vegetarianism is "normal American human behavior". There are some pro-vegetarian groups who claim only about 3% vegetarian. Now you can slice it and dice it any way you want, but the VAST majority of Americans (and almost every other society) are meat eaters. It's rather difficult to think of very many other human behaviors when 95%-97% of all humans follow any one behavior pattern.

I actually said "humans", not Americans, there is a big difference :) Also, I didn't say it was "normal", just that "many" people are vegetarian.

But more seriously, what you are saying is simply the Fallacy of Popularity argument - ie, because most people do/think something, it is correct/superior. Not so.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    The reverse of which is the Fallacy of Peculiarity argument..which says that if people act and think in a way which is outside their cultural norms it must be superior. Not so.
    This discussion is getting too close to "I'm a vegetarian/Omnivore and as such, superior to you."

So let that be an end to it.

Thanks to all who contributed.
    riverflow
This discussion has been closed.