Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why did the Buddha allow his monks to eat meat?

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Of course...HHDL is a well known figure. So in order to address the idea and prove that it is not the case, that all or even most, Buddhist teacher advocate vegetarianism, his is a easy name to cite.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Daozen said:

The question to ask is, why would YOU eat meat, given that we know it's bad for: a) the animals, obviously, b) your health, c) the environment.

Boom!

Bad for your health? it is not. In overly large quantities yes, but that is true of anything. We are omnivores, we evolved eating meat. So it is not bad for you so long as you do not gorge yourself on it. Though nowadays what with all the hormone and steroid injections in meat even I rarely eat it.
  • Citta said:

Having seen them at work @Jainarayan I can assure that you that HH's personal kitchen was not vegetarian 18 months or so ago....

Oh yes!? Well, you see... anything by anyone for good press. Much to the chagrin of a few people who disagree with me, I like HHDL in any case.

I can well believe that McCartney would consider that he has a mission to tell everyone that they are wrong. He has been at it for years. Its what Freud called ' Reaction Formation' it became more noticeable following the death of his veggie wife.
    Without veering too far off course, let's remember that some of the things said about The Beatles' break up were due to his controlling nature. So I can understand that he would be this way.
  • Chaz said:

And, of course, Sir Paul is far more knowledgeable than HHDL's physicians. If Paul says S##t we should all squat.

I didn't want to go there. :D
    Chazcaz
  • At the risk of being irreverent, one can always recite "om ahbirakay tsara hung" 7 times over meat to assuage one's guilt. ;)
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I dont think that is at all irreverent. I was not going to raise the issue because I have seen the result when someone does, but it is a well established maxim among many Tibetans that being an animal is a pretty shitty gig and that seeing as they are by then dead anyway the best thing you can do for them is recite certain mantras before eating them so that they have the opportunity to become incorporated in a human being, so that they have a better chance of a human birth...which in turn vastly improves their chances of Enlightenment.
    Jainarayan
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Citta said:

Whether the DL says that I know not. Perhaps he does. Perhaps you could even produce references.
    I do know that he eats meat. No ifs. No buts. It is a fact.

He said it here in a lecture at some place in Washington I think it was.

Yes, @seeker242, we shouldn't kill animals. I personally am very strict in keeping with the first precept. But I don't believe that eating meat is the same as killing animals either. When I eat meat, my mind is absolutely free of any intention to kill. Also, whenever I eat a salad instead of a meat dish, which I often do, I don't believe I am saving the lives of any animals either. If I was living in some tiny, remote village and I could see that my abstention of meat would in fact prevent my neighbour from killing his cattle to sell the meat to me then I would never eat meat as long as I was living in that kind of situation.

Yes, that is the Theravada view. Dharma Master Sheng Yen here espouses quit a different view. And of course he is a Mahayana Chan Monk/Teacher, but a view that is held by millions of Mahayana monks/practitioners.

seeker242 said:

At the same time, HHDL says animals have the same rights to live and not be killed, as humans do. In other traditions, it is dictated quite strictly for this reason.

It's not mutually exclusive to believe and say that all animals have a right to live, and still eat meat. The HSUS and ASPCA are animal welfare organizations that fight for animals to be treated as humanely as possible but they are neither pro- nor anti-meat eating.
    The HSUS is quite anti-meat these days. So much so that they are attacked with propaganda by meat industry lobbyists in a similar manner in which the lobbyists attack animal rights organizations. Mostly because they expose the widespread animal abuses that typically take place on modern farms. One could argue that HSUS activity played a large part in what led to the introduction of all these AG-Gag laws.

However, there is a quite big difference between the idea of animal rights and animal welfare. From an animal rights viewpoint, it's mutually exclusive. The ASPCA deals primarily with pets and is definitely an animal welfare organization but definitely not an an animal rights organization. They sometimes, but only rarely, get involved with food animal issues.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2013

So what does all of this imply? We see that there are inconsistencies and sometimes direct conflict among the various Mahayana texts dealing with the issue of meat eating and the use of animal products. Explanations given in the Mahayana texts about why monks were permitted to eat certain types of meat also seem to be unsatisfactory. So if one were to rely on the Mahayana texts to determine what were actually the Buddha's words on these matters, the existence of inconsistencies and conflicts could cause some confusion. And in answering the question of "Why did the Buddha allow his monks to eat meat" we could say that this question can be more satisfactorily answered by reference to the Pali Canon.

Well done, @karmablues. I think the textual comparison is quite insightful and helps illustrate the variety of views in regard to the issue of eating meat from a pan-traditional (i.e., historical) viewpoint. Taking into consideration the traditional and textual evolution of Buddhism, and of this issue in particular, I think this comparison is worth noting and using to inform our own views about eating meat (which I personally do myself). That said, I think it does a slight disservice to judge all respective traditions'/texts' views from the standpoint of Theravada (or vice versa) precisely because each has its own unique approach and underlying rationale. Obviously some of these views are inconsistent with others and contradict different sources; but much of that is due to taking them out of context and comparing them to a standard outside of their soteriological spheres. While certainly a valid comparison to make, particularly from a historical standpoint, one school and/or textual source doesn't get to define the understanding of another. This isn't so much a criticism of the OP, however, as it is a general response to the discussion that it's engendered.
    karmablues
  • Citta said:

I was not going to raise the issue because I have seen the result when someone does

Thanks for the warning. :D
    Citta said:

but it is a well established maxim among many Tibetans that being an animal is a pretty shitty gig and that seeing as they are by then dead anyway the best thing you can do for them is recite certain mantras before eating them so that they have the opportunity to become incorporated in a human being, so that they have a better chance of a human birth...which in turn vastly improves their chances of Enlightenment.

That is a something I've thought about myself. I have indeed recited tha mantra, and will continue to do so. In my readings I learned that, while meat-eating is controversial, at least it should not be specifically slaughtered for the person about to eat it, nor should the person see the animal being slaughtered. I know all this is contentious.

Even when I've fallen off the vegetarian wagon, which as I pointed out is the norm, I've refrained from beef, though hypocritically I have leather shoes and belts. Here are some thoughts, again at the risk of going off course, and taking a Hindu bent, but I think it underscores the whole slippery slope:

There is one flaw in the belief that eating beef is killing and eating Go Mata (Mother Cow) that I believe needs to be addressed. In the US at least, dairy cows are never slaughtered for human consumption to the best of my knowledge. When they are too old to produce milk, they are too old to provide meat fit for human consumption and are slaughtered for other purposes (pet food, gelatin, leather). Do we stop using dairy products or keeping carnivorous animals (dogs, cats, ferrets) as pets? Something I don't understand is that it is young castrated males, steers, that are raised and slaughtered for beef, not gomata, so why the traditional proscription (there's nothing scriptural) against eating beef?

To bring this back to the Buddhist perspective and spirit of this site, for those Buddhists who do eat meat, do they shun beef also, or does it not matter because of beliefs, culture and traditions? I've read that the Balinese, regardless of religion, eat beef. What's the Buddhist view on beef?

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    federica said:

However, it's not for me to try to influence or dictate what I think others should or should not do.
    It's for the individual to decide for themselves what they feel would be a satisfactory decision for them, to make.

Now that's reasonable.
    riverflow
  • seeker242 said:

The HSUS is quite anti-meat these days. So much so that they are attacked with propaganda by meat industry lobbyists in a similar manner in which the lobbyists attack animal rights organizations. Mostly because they expose the widespread animal abuses that typically take place on modern farms. One could argue that HSUS activity played a large part in what led to the introduction of all these AG-Gag laws.

That is interesting. I'm a member of both organizations (HSUS and ASPCS) and I've not seen that (yet). The HSUS is fighting for an end to the seal slaughter, pig gestation cages, improvements in the caging of egg producing hens and other farming practices. Not to mention puppy mills being at the top of both organizations' lists. So I can understand them being attacked by the meat industry that wants to maximize its profits and "efficiency". However I haven't yet seen anything promoting vegetarianism. I'll have to keep an eye opened.
    seeker242 said:

However, there is a quite big difference between the idea of animal rights and animal welfare. From an animal rights viewpoint, it's mutually exclusive. The ASPCA deals primarily with pets and is definitely an animal welfare organization but definitely not an an animal rights organization. They sometimes, but only rarely, get involved with food animal issues.

Yes, I'm aware of the difference now; I wasn't until I joined both organizations and compared them to PETA (who are not all nutcases, but genuine). PETA is vehemently animal rights, and that viewpoint definitely is anti-meat.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2013

Chaz said:

.....And, of course, Sir Paul is far more knowledgeable than HHDL's physicians. If Paul says S##t we should all squat.

(Actually, that is by far, anatomically, the best way to schytt. By squatting.)
    KundoChrysalid
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Jason said:

So what does all of this imply? We see that there are inconsistencies and sometimes direct conflict among the various Mahayana texts dealing with the issue of meat eating and the use of animal products. Explanations given in the Mahayana texts about why monks were permitted to eat certain types of meat also seem to be unsatisfactory. So if one were to rely on the Mahayana texts to determine what were actually the Buddha's words on these matters, the existence of inconsistencies and conflicts could cause some confusion. And in answering the question of "Why did the Buddha allow his monks to eat meat" we could say that this question can be more satisfactorily answered by reference to the Pali Canon.

Well done, @karmablues. I think the textual comparison is quite insightful and helps illustrate the variety of views in regard to the issue of eating meat from a pan-traditional (i.e., historical) viewpoint. Taking into consideration the traditional and textual evolution of Buddhism, and of this issue in particular, I think this comparison is worth noting and using to inform our own views about eating meat (which I personally do myself). That said, I think it does a slight disservice to judge all respective traditions'/texts' views from the standpoint of Theravada (or vice versa) precisely because each has its own unique approach and underlying rationale. Obviously some of these views are inconsistent with others and contradict different sources; but much of that is due to taking them out of context and comparing them to a standard outside of their soteriological spheres. While certainly a valid comparison to make, particularly from a historical standpoint, one school and/or textual source doesn't get to define the understanding of another. This isn't so much a criticism of the OP, however, as it is a general response to the discussion that it's engendered.
    Precisely. New Buddhist is not a single church unlike for example Dhamma Wheel, and even there consensus is hard to come by on various issues..like the one at hand.
    Mutual respect should be the order of the day imo. Rather than striving for a consensus that is frankly unlikely.
    I think there is very little chance that anyone will come up with a form of words that all parties will agree to. Other than the aforementioned need for mutual respect.
    karmabluesvinlynriverflow
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Daozen said:

lobster said:
    One angry man with no qualifications and little research vs 100s of valid studies that say the opposite.

:scratch:
    Not really. There's plenty of research that says a high-carb diet contributes to heart disease, and can cause obesity. The medical profession is divided on this issue, just as it is on so many issues.

vinlyn
  • sndymornsndymorn Veteran
    edited July 2013
    My wife has been a vegetarian for twenty years but has recently developed a soy allergy. Soy, it turns out , is in most processed foods. She is rethinking her relationship to meat as a result of the allergy but still will not eat it. I can see the wheels turning as she adjusts her diet and seeks nutrition without soy or meat. Meanwhile, the meal table at our house has a transitional feel with new foods coming and going as my darling tries to meet mine and the family's needs while building a new relationship to what constitutes dinner.
    Not only do we find new dishes on our plates in the evening, but the restaurants we occasionally visited or called for take- out have been left behind so we are searching for new foods and restaurants too. Food labeling here in the USA has been a great help to us as information on ingredients is readily available and we can , with effort, avoid soy products.
    There are some restaurants where soy is literally in everything but the lettuce( yes it is in the salad dressing too.)
    On the bright side, my wife is feeling better.
    I would , for her health, like her to eat meat again, but do feel uneasy at the thought of my vegetarian wife coming with me to the dark side. It as if her identity has become that of "vegetarian wife . " Part of me would miss this label should she decide to eat meat.

Parenthetically, Jews can eat non kosher if the health of the person requires it. Perhaps the Buddha taught this practicality to them vis a vis his meat eating strictures which seem to me fluid and open to situational interpretation . Road kill anyone?

riverflow
  • karmablueskarmablues Veteran
    edited July 2013
    seeker242 said:

Yes, that is the Theravada view. Dharma Master Sheng Yen here espouses quit a different view. And of course he is a Mahayana Chan Monk/Teacher, but a view that is held by millions of Mahayana monks/practitioners.

The Theravadan view is also held by millions of Theravada monks/practitioners :)

I watched what Master Sheng Yen had to say. I agree totally that vegetarianism is conducive for the practice of compassion. But at the same time I believe there are many ways to practice compassion and vegetarianism is one way to do so. Personally, I don't believe that only vegetarians can be compassionate. In fact I've met many Buddhists and non-Buddhists, Westerners and Asians, who are very compassionate people but who weren't vegetarians either. So I know for a fact that it's possible. Also, during Buddha's time when the three types of pure meat were universally allowed, many of his monks and layfollowers attained one of the four stages of enlightenment despite the consumption of meat.

I would also say that Master Sheng Yen acknowledges that the Buddha did not say that all instances of meat eating is the same as killing. Here is an excerpt from the video:
    However, [the Buddha] prohibited his followers from taking life, from killing something themselves and eating it. There are the three things, called the three clean meats. What are the three clean meats? Not killed by oneself, not killed knowingly on one’s behalf, and if you know the animal died by itself or was a bird killed by a bird of prey or was an animal bitten to death by a predator. Meat from animals like this could be eaten. That is animals who died themselves, or were grievously hurt and dead anyway. These could be eaten. If you know that it was killed for you then you cannot eat it.
    So Master Sheng Yen acknowledges that in accordance with the Buddha's teachings as long as you didn't kill something yourself or know that it was killed for you, then you can eat it and this would not be against the Buddha's prohibition from taking life. So eating the three clean meats is not the same as killing.

The last point I want to make is that I would disagree with Master Sheng's contention that "from the perspective of Buddhism all sentient beings are equal." In the Vinaya-pitaka, killing human beings is a parajika offence entailing automatic expulsion from the Sangha. However, killing animals is a minor offence entailing confession. The Mahayana position is even more explicit and the Nirvana Sutra distinguishes between three grades of killing with animals described as "beings of the lowest class":
    O good man! The Buddha and Bodhisattva see three categories of killing, which are those of the grades 1) low, 2) medium, and 3) high. Low applies to the class of insects and all kinds of animals.... This is killing beings of the lowest class. By reason of harming life of the lowest grade, one gains life in the realms of hell, animals or hungry ghosts and suffers from the least duhkha. Why so? Because these animals have done somewhat of good. Hence, one who harms them receives full karmic returns for his actions. This is killing of the lowest grade. The medium grade of killing concerns killing [beings] from the category of humans up to the class of anagamins. This is middle-grade killing. As a result, one gets born in the realms of hell, animals or hungry ghosts and fully receives the karmic consequences befitting the middle grade of suffering. This is medium-grade killing. Top-rank killing relates to killing one’s father or mother, an arhat, pratyekabudda, or a Bodhisattva of the last established state. This is top-rank killing. In consequence of this, one falls into the greatest Avichi Hell [the most terrible of all the hells] and endures the karmic consequences befitting the highest level of suffering. This is top-grade killing.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2013
    @sndymorn, Tell her to investigate Quinoa, Puy lentils and other pulses, such as chickpeas and soya beans (edame).

While I understand she's developed an allergy to soy PRODUCTS, the beans themselves (unprocessed and 'as nature intended) may still be okay....?
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    There was a Mahayana passage about the Buddha appearing as illusionary meat. Maybe this is the real meaning behind if you see the Buddha on the road kill him. :orange:
    lobster
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    The karmapa said that we should do various levels of practice from vetetarian to one day a week, to just thinking about it. He said it would create karma for him to overcome some kind of problem that he predicted. I became a vegetarian for about two years based on that. Note that he gave many ways to practice this including just thinking or considering.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Daozen said:

The question to ask is, why would YOU eat meat, given that we know it's bad for: a) the animals, obviously, b) your health, c) the environment.

Boom!

Actually the question should be - why do we consistently indulge in these arguments when no side ever wins and we only ever end up arguing and wasting energy by not practising? (I don't believe the Buddha ever encouraged debates that disintegrate into personal attacks and the like)

BOOM!

Of course, I may be wrong, it's been known to happen ;)

In metta,
    Raven
    lobsterkarmabluesCittariverflow

Jeffrey said:

I think the mystery of contradicting scripture is solved by the fact that Buddha did not pen the sutras..... So since there are different authors there are different views on vegetarianism... It is not hidden that there are different authors...

Jeffrey, are you suggesting that the authors of these Sutras are in fact expressing their own personal views on vegetarianism and trying to pass these off as the words of the Buddha?
    Namaste,

I think Jeffrey raises a valid point. You see all paths and faiths that suffer from men twisting words to suit their purposes. Why would Buddhism be an exception?

In metta,
    Raven
    edited July 2013
    Daozen said:

5% of the world is about 300 million - I call that many people :)

People get very defensive about this, not sure why :)

Namaste,

Perhaps it's not what you say but the way you say it.

In metta,
    Raven
    Chazriverflow
    sndymorn said:

Parenthetically, Jews can eat non kosher if the health of the person requires it. Perhaps the Buddha taught this practicality to them vis a vis his meat eating strictures which seem to me fluid and open to situational interpretation . Road kill anyone?

Namaste,

Only if it is life threatening and even then it's not that straightforward. Most Reform Jews don't even keep kosher so it probably wouldn't be an issue. Orthodox Jews on the other hand........

In metta,
    Raven
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    When you have allergies, they put you on lamb, then introduce other foods - practically no one is allergic to lamb . . . non kosher lobster on the other claw/hand . . . as deadly as strawberries to some of us . . .
    Evangelical Buddhism :hair: has not yet insisted we shave our heads and diets for baby Jesus/Buddha but some like such a diet . . . and insist they are the precept following, virtuous, non murdering, self righteous, singlevores and bores found in all religions . . . have you noticed? . . . are you one?

This evening we sat down to eat 'Ethel the chicken', my atheistic and non Buddhist family even allowed me to recite a mantra (long form). Thanks be to Ethel . . .

Omnivores for Buddha Reformed Temple and Kosher Boddhis for ever :rockon:
    sndymorn
  • lobster said:

This evening we sat down to eat 'Ethel the chicken', my atheistic and non Buddhist family even allowed me to recite a mantra (long form). Thanks be to Ethel . . .

If I were Ethel, I wouldn't want to be thanked.

edited July 2013

I would also say that Master Sheng Yen acknowledges that the Buddha did not say that all instances of meat eating is the same as killing.

I think there is a middle ground personally. Just buying and eating a hamburger is not the same as chopping a cows head off in your backyard. I don't think it's a neutral activity either though. As the money that is willingly and intentionally paid, goes to people who actually do the killing thereby involving oneself in the whole process. The intentional purchase of the product creates a link between the producer, AKA the killer, and the purchaser. I don't think the statement "meat is killing" is meant to be taken so literally.

Personally, Buddha's advice on meat in the Canon I don't think is all that relevant when a person lives in a modern first world and shops at a modern day supermarket where they have hundreds of choices and can choose whatever they want. I always think "If the Buddha's monks shopped at a large supermarket, choosing their own food among hundreds of choices and the Buddha was fully aware that some of the food was produced in an unethical manner. What would he say about it?" I think it's highly likely that he would say "Don't purchase that kind of food". But of course he never said such things because monks did not have or spend money to begin with. I think he would say that for the same reasons why he said business in meat is wrong livelihood, even if you are not the one actually killing the animal.

Of course, not everyone lives in the modern first world where they have large supermarkets with hundreds of choices, but many people do.

:om:
    Jeffrey
  • @seeker242
    Yes, I agree that the Buddha laid down the pure meat rule in the context of a monk's way of life in which they depended on almsfood. As a layperson who could choose between different products, I do think that we should try to choose an option that entails less harm. So with regards to laypeople, I do believe a vegetarian diet is the better choice but it is not something that reaches the level of the five precepts either. I see it more as an optional training rule rather than a mandatory one.
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited July 2013
    i think it all comes down to what a person actually wants to do - anyways, a person only does what he wants to do, no matter whoever is the other person saying something to him and no matter how much the other person is saying something to him. the consideration over this meat-eating subject for a person should be - in his current circumstances, is meat-eating an option or a mandatory requirement to survive. if meat-eating is an option and can be avoided, then we should try to avoid eating meat. but if eating meat is a mandatory requirement for survival in the person's current circumstances, then he can eat meat for his survival.

as far as my case goes, i am trying to not eat non-veg food for the last 2 years nearly and in that in the last 1 year at least i have not eaten any non-veg food including eggs, except for one incident which recently happened nearly 2 weeks back. what happened was this - in my neighbour's house in our colony, there was birthday of a nephew. so his family asked me to come. so i went there. the birthday cake was cut by my nephew and he offered cake to me. i took the cake in my hands and after few moments, when my nephew was busy serving cake to his friends, then i asked my nephew's father that if that cake had egg in it? he said that his son i.e. my nephew has brought the cake, so he will inquire with him, he went and came back after few moments and said to me that the cake did not had egg in it. so i said ok and then i ate 2 to 3 small pieces of the cake. then i saw my nephew moving around between his friends and i called him and he came. then i asked the same question that had the cake egg in it to my nephew, while i was holding the remaining cake in my hand. then my nephew said smiling that uncle, which cake does not has egg in it, anyways whether there is egg in it or not, what difference does it make, so please eat the cake. i was stumbled and i just laughed back at him. then i thought - i had already eaten 2-3 small pieces of the cake, but that was when i was not knowing that there is egg in the cake, then i thought if after knowing there is egg in the cake, i still eat it, that would be my selfish interest for the taste of the cake, so i decided not to eat the remaining cake. then i did not eat the remaining cake and instead gave that cake to my father, who eats non-veg food. just this incident came to my mind, so thought of sharing with you all.

metta to all sentient beings.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited July 2013
    @misemisc your post assumes a position where meat eating is allowed under duress, through lack of alternatives. I have lots of alternatives and I eat meat for several reasons, some of which can be found in the present thread.
    Mainly it is for two reasons..my metabolism does not respond well to a vegetarian diet..i get ill.
    Secondly worrying about what to eat and 'purity' ends by giving food and diet too high a priority.
    With respect, your concern over eating cake illustrates perfectly why Buddhadharma has since its birth ( and with the exception of some Chinese sanghas ) avoided being prescriptive about lunch. ...its not an aid to calmness.
    edited July 2013

@seeker242
    Yes, I agree that the Buddha laid down the pure meat rule in the context of a monk's way of life in which they depended on almsfood. As a layperson who could choose between different products, I do think that we should try to choose an option that entails less harm. So with regards to laypeople, I do believe a vegetarian diet is the better choice but it is not something that reaches the level of the five precepts either. I see it more as an optional training rule rather than a mandatory one.

I would agree. :) As in the Brama Net Sutra it's a secondary precept, not a major one like the first 10, which include the traditional 5 of no kill, no lie, no steal, etc. What is interesting about my zen school, which is Korean zen, is that a layperson can volunteer to take 5, 10, 16, or 64 precepts. Interesting program they have I think. And of course the only laypeople it's mandatory for are the people who volunteer to take the vow.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    More and more science is learning that it is not simply "eating vegetarian makes you healthier and eating meat makes you sicker" It's a very complex system involving gut bacteria, and you can indeed eat meat and still be healthy. So, a blanket statement of it being healthier for you just isn't true. Eating more vegetables and fruits is good advice for most on a western diet. But you don't have to stop eating all meat to do that.

That said, when I saw the HHDL he said people should be vegetarians *if and when they are able* not across the board, all the time. That qualifier is important. Not everyone can, for a variety of reasons and they shouldn't constantly have to defend those reasons just because they happen to practice Buddhism.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited July 2013
    A Buddhist view on vegetarianism can be tainted with ignorance surrounding views on karma that don't hold up.
    The arguement should be made on the grounds of compassion verses cruelty.
    Even then there is plenty of room for ignorance or misunderstanding things. Particularly around hunting and fishing for subsistence. And making assumptions about people's intent or attitude about killing.
    I don't take much notice of people criticizing my diet. Its been working so far. I'm open to suggestions though.
  • Ahimsa applies to ourselves also. I think it's himsa to ourselves to eat a diet in the name of religion if that diet makes us sick. Just sayin'. ;)
    lobster
  • karmablueskarmablues Veteran
    edited July 2013
    seeker242 said:

I would agree. :) As in the Brama Net Sutra it's a secondary precept, not a major one like the first 10, which include the traditional 5 of no kill, no lie, no steal, etc. What is interesting about my zen school, which is Korean zen, is that a layperson can volunteer to take 5, 10, 16, or 64 precepts. Interesting program they have I think. And of course the only laypeople it's mandatory for are the people who volunteer to take the vow.

The opportunity to take on increasingly more vows sounds great. Personally, I am a fan of precepts and I feel that they are an important anchor in my life. In my school, the most a layperson can take on are the 8 precepts as well as one or more of the additional 9 ascetic practices. But of course there is also the 10 wholesome ways of action (which are the same as those found in the Mahayana tradition) that expands to cover mental conduct and adds some elements for verbal conduct as well.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    karasti said:

More and more science is learning that it is not simply "eating vegetarian makes you healthier and eating meat makes you sicker" It's a very complex system involving gut bacteria, and you can indeed eat meat and still be healthy. So, a blanket statement of it being healthier for you just isn't true. Eating more vegetables and fruits is good advice for most on a western diet. But you don't have to stop eating all meat to do that.

That said, when I saw the HHDL he said people should be vegetarians *if and when they are able* not across the board, all the time. That qualifier is important. Not everyone can, for a variety of reasons and they shouldn't constantly have to defend those reasons just because they happen to practice Buddhism.

And the fact is that HHDL himself has made it clear that despite his best intentions he is one that cannot be totally vegetarian.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    karasti said:

It's actually a stereotype that I as a vegetarian sort of dislike. When people find out I don't eat meat, they get very defensive and say stuff like "Oh yeah well i don't eat meat that much. Trying to be healthy too, y'know?" or "I wish I could be as healthy as you!"

Well, eating Cheetoes for every meal would be vegetarian, but it's definitely not healthy...

riverflow
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Not healthy..and possibly not vegetarian either. Some varieties of Cheetos contain pork enyzmes.... :hair:
    Invincible_summer
    @Invincible_summer Yeah, more than one person I know who initially started out in a veggie or vegan lifestyle, went the route of living solely on pasta and we shocked when they gained a bunch of weight because they had thought eating "vegetarian" was so good for them, lol.

I have a lot of respect for those who go to veggie or vegan route. One of my close friends is adamant about it, but still struggles to fully stay on that path, probably largely because she is partnered with a man who is very much a meat and potatoes kind of guy. I'm glad other people have an easier time with it. Almost everyone I know who has done it (some stuck with it and are fine now, some did not) struggled quite a bit in various ways. When we decided to go only with actual farm raised meat, our meat consumption dropped quite a bit because we can't afford to eat it every day, which is fine by me.
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    Maybe going off topic here, but there some people who cannot live on a pure vegetarianism diet, and the addition of meat is a necessity for survival.
  • JohnG said:

Maybe going off topic here, but there some people who cannot live on a pure vegetarianism diet, and the addition of meat is a necessity for survival.

Only for people allergic/intolerant to certain plants essential for a veggie diet. There's nothing in meat that you can't get from plants too.

Invincible_summer

It's actually a stereotype that I as a vegetarian sort of dislike. When people find out I don't eat meat, they get very defensive and say stuff like "Oh yeah well i don't eat meat that much. Trying to be healthy too, y'know?" or "I wish I could be as healthy as you!"

Well, eating Cheetoes for every meal would be vegetarian, but it's definitely not healthy...

Which personally always causes me have a degree of skepticism when people say things like "I tried to be vegetarian but I got sick". That really does not make much sense to me because "vegetarian" refers to what a person does not eat while "healthy, balanced diet" refers to what a person does eat. I have lost track of the number of times I encountered people who just don't know what a "healthy, balanced diet" actually is!

Invincible_summer
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    If you are worried about meat in the diet you could only eat meat on weekends. That would still reduce 2/3 of meats killed. If I didn't live with my mom I would definitely go back to at least some vegetarian. Often eating out I am veggies and sometimes I cook veggie for my mom like meatless red sauce instead of meat based.
    riverflow
    Do vegans get enough B12 just from fortified foods like cereal then? Or what do they eat to get it? As I've read it's the #1 deficiency in vegans. Can vegans even eat yeast since they are technically living things? (I know some forms of yeast have B12)
    Naturally, B12 is only available in animal foods, so I'm always curious where the successful vegans get it from. I already have a tendency for iron deficiency anemia (despite eating meat) and have to take supplements for that. Anemia really sucks. It can be caused by a lack of B12, too.

As far as people getting sick, it does happen. A friend of mine went vegan for a few months and spent the entire time, sick. She did it under a dietician and had a balanced full variety diet worked out for her, and it still didn't work. She was extremely disappointed. She was told that some people just have a different enzyme setup in their bodies after a life of eating animal products and while it can be changed, it takes time to do so and some people find that they cannot manage the ill feelings during the transition. Other people have an easier time with it. I don't see how that is so far fetched, considering people who stop eating meat and then go back to it also report getting sick because their bodies then lack the proper enzyme to digest the meat. Why can't it work the other way?
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    edited July 2013
    karasti said:

Do vegans get enough B12 just from fortified foods like cereal then? Or what do they eat to get it? As I've read it's the #1 deficiency in vegans. Can vegans even eat yeast since they are technically living things? (I know some forms of yeast have B12)
    Naturally, B12 is only available in animal foods, so I'm always curious where the successful vegans get it from. I already have a tendency for iron deficiency anemia (despite eating meat) and have to take supplements for that. Anemia really sucks. It can be caused by a lack of B12, too.

Human have B12 reservoir for several years (10 or more) so you wouldn't get lack of B12 for a few months or a couple of years without meat. At least you have malabsorption from before.

Is false that B12 is naturaly only available in animals food. B12 is produced by bacteria and that also is found in plants or in water from rivers and lakes. But the modern sanitization of vegetables and water (by using chlorine by example) wash away all bacteria (almost) and B12. Animal food sanitization is not so strict, so B12 is keep.

So if B12 is found in animal food is because they first get it from plants and water with bacteria.

Also meat not necessarily giving a person enough B12. In fact, when you get up into your 50's, your doctor may advise you to supplement vitamin B12 (made from bacteria) because of changes in our body that make it more difficult to digest the vitamin out of animal products.

So to all people in some point in their life would be recommended that get B12 suplements, vegan or not.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2000/000802.htm
    What plants? I've not been able to find any sources in the times I've looked for edible plants(for people) that contain B12. As for the river and lake water, yes, lol, but most rivers and lakes are polluted and unsafe to drink from. Even here, where our water sources are fairly safe (some of them) you take a great risk at getting giardia from drinking it. Back in the day, it didn't cause us harm but after so many decades of not drinking it, it makes us sick now. So, drinking river and lake water really isn't doable for most people (nor recommended).

How do factory farm raised animals still have B12 then? They get their water from a hose much of the time, and are fed grains. They don't eat natural foods (plants) nor do they drink natural water.

I'm not being argumentative, I always find nutrition stuff fascinating, so that's why I ask I realize of course they can take a supplement I was just wondering if it was readily available in an actually usable source in anything other than animal products. The liver stores vitamin B, but it's more of an average of up to 3 years worth, depending on the health of the person, how much they had to start, and their age. If someone is vegan/veggie for decades obviously their previous store will not be enough to sustain them.
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    edited July 2013
    karasti said:

What plants? I've not been able to find any sources in the times I've looked for edible plants(for people) that contain B12. As for the river and lake water, yes, lol, but most rivers and lakes are polluted and unsafe to drink from. Even here, where our water sources are fairly safe (some of them) you take a great risk at getting giardia from drinking it. Back in the day, it didn't cause us harm but after so many decades of not drinking it, it makes us sick now. So, drinking river and lake water really isn't doable for most people (nor recommended).

How do factory farm raised animals still have B12 then? They get their water from a hose much of the time, and are fed grains. They don't eat natural foods (plants) nor do they drink natural water.

I'm not being argumentative, I always find nutrition stuff fascinating, so that's why I ask I realize of course they can take a supplement I was just wondering if it was readily available in an actually usable source in anything other than animal products. The liver stores vitamin B, but it's more of an average of up to 3 years worth, depending on the health of the person, how much they had to start, and their age. If someone is vegan/veggie for decades obviously their previous store will not be enough to sustain them.

Any plant that is dirty will have B12 :) . Some studies show that in some little village people get more B12 that in modern cities food only because they was lacking sanitization from our modern civilization.

With that I'm not saying that not wash your vegetables or eat dirty plants. :)
    If you own a little garden and harvest your own vegetable is posible that is will have some B12 in it.

Why animals from factory farm get and have B12? Because they are unclean.

What they eat is not so clean, it have contamination like dirt and feces from themself or other animals.

Ruminant like cows also have a different stomach that produce much B12 that carnivore animals.

Later the meat from that animal also in not so clean, also have feces and other contaminations in some levels. Not enough to make us sick (generally) but enough to give us B12.

They are invaded with antibiotics for a reason.

Like I said human also produce B12 in their intestines but not enough what for we need.

The best source of B12 for vegans are fortified food (like breakfast cereals) and supplements.

But the good thing is that we need very few B12 to be healthy. The only vegans that have more risk to suffer deficiency in B12 are long-term vegans who avoid common fortified foods (such as raw food vegans or macrobiotic vegans) and breastfed infants of vegan mothers whose own intake of B12 is low.

Anyways like I said before. Vegan or not, supplements is recommended when you are getting old.
    Invincible_summer
    Thanks, I appreciate all the information!
    Actually, as a kid I used to eat dirt a lot. I was an odd kid, LOL.
    But we do garden, all organically and plenty of our lettuce, carrots, potatoes and other things still have dirt on them.
    On a related note, I've always believed that a lot of our problems in recent years, especially immune system problems, is due to our excess cleanliness. More and more, it seems they are finding that is true. The more junk you are exposed to, the stronger your immune system. Everyone I know who is terrified of germs and carries hand sanitizer, is always sick.

Anyhow, now I'm way off topic so I'll be done. Thanks again!!
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    seeker242 said:

Which personally always causes me have a degree of skepticism when people say things like "I tried to be vegetarian but I got sick". That really does not make much sense to me because "vegetarian" refers to what a person does not eat while "healthy, balanced diet" refers to what a person does eat. I have lost track of the number of times I encountered people who just don't know what a "healthy, balanced diet" actually is!

Please feel free to be as sceptical ( and judgemental ) as you like.
    I tried on three occasions to be vegetarian.
    I took advice from experienced vegetarians.
    I tried a number of vegetarian diets, including an aryuvedic diet, a macrobiotic diet, a vegetarian diet based around mediterreanean cusine, a diet replacing meat with soy protein, a diet replacing meat with Quorn, a pulse based diet...and each time my health suffered. I took advice from the hospital dietician whose wife is a vegetarian, he assured me that it was a transitional phase...it wasn't.
    Feel free to ascribe any kind of of untruthfulness or evasion to this account that appeals to your sense of righteousness.
  • Citta said:

Please feel free to be as sceptical ( and judgemental ) as you like.
    I tried on three occasions to be vegetarian.
    I took advice from experienced vegetarians.
    I tried a number of vegetarian diets, including an aryuvedic diet, a macrobiotic diet, a vegetarian diet based around mediterreanean cusine, a diet replacing meat with soy protein, a diet replacing meat with Quorn, a pulse based diet...and each time my health suffered. I took advice from the hospital dietician whose wife is a vegetarian, he assured me that it was a transitional phase...it wasn't.
    Feel free to ascribe any kind of of untruthfulness or evasion to this account that appeals to your sense of righteousness.

May I ask what adverse health effects you suffered?
This discussion has been closed.