Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Breeding Bacteria on Factory Farms

ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
edited July 2013 in Diet & Habits
The story of antibiotic-resistant bacteria in farm animals is not a simple one. But here’s the pitch version: Yet another study has reinforced the idea that keeping animals in confinement and feeding them antibiotics prophylactically breeds varieties of bacteria that cause disease in humans, disease that may not readily be treated by antibiotics. Since some of these bacteria can be fatal, that’s a scary combination.

Full Article:
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/09/breeding-bacteria-on-factory-farms/
EnriqueSpainEvenThird

Comments

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    The genetic pressures applied to bacteria, with the staggering amount of antibiotics used in that industry (25 million pounds a year) along with the culture or petrie dish of large groups in confined spaces, is immense.
    EnriqueSpain
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran

keeping animals in confinement and feeding them antibiotics prophylactically breeds varieties of bacteria that cause disease in humans, disease that may not readily be treated by antibiotics.

No kidding. Scary stuff indeed.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Although let's not forget, those bacteria are future Buddhas too :)
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Daozen said:

Although let's not forget, those bacteria are future Buddhas too :)

They aren't sentient so they can't be reborn
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Everything is reborn in every moment ... including the billions of bacteria inside your own body that you need to live. 'You' includes essential bacteria, so if 'you' are sentient ...
    karastiriverflow
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Daozen said:

Everything is reborn in every moment ... including the billions of bacteria inside your own body that you need to live. 'You' includes essential bacteria, so if 'you' are sentient ...

I suspect that your tongue is in your cheek, so I will not address the logical fallacies in that post. ;)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    a Food and Drug Administration report are that about 10 percent of all chicken breasts sold at retail are contaminated with a form of salmonella that’s resistant to at least one antibiotic, and nearly half of all chicken that’s sold is contaminated with antibiotic-resistant campylobacter.
    Well isn't that lovely...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    ANOTHER good reason to steer clear of meat.

Though there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that some aspect of vegetarianism may be just as sinister and manipulated.....
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited July 2013
    ' Organic Farming Practices Led To 200 Incidents Of Serious Food Poisoning '

The crop in question was spinach.

Three of the people affected died.

Source;

www.science20.com

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    From the article:
    There have been no reported illnesses attributed to the recalled items. The “Best By” Code Dates for the recalled products (listed below) can be located on the lower right portion of the front label of those packages. These recalled items were distributed from Taylor Farms Retail, Inc. on May 9, 2012 and May 10, 2012
    fairly brief period of distribution, and relatively small amounts of product. In America.
    I don't think I need to worry.
    Thanks anyway!

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Daozen said:

If a single bacteria can be said to be sentient by association then the universe in its entirety must also be sentient.

I've always wanted to go vegetarian but didn't have the guts. My girlfriend has just decided to take the plunge effective immediately so I'm starting the transition phase now.

I wonder if I'll be sneaking off for a cheeseburger.

Kundo
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    federica said:

ANOTHER good reason to steer clear of meat.

Though there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that some aspect of vegetarianism may be just as sinister and manipulated.....

Apparently you've missed how many cases of food borne illness have come from salad greens or the Colorado cantaloupe disaster where 33 people died and countless others became sick, some with permanent debilitating conditions.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    And a myriad other cases of food poisoning in vegetables and fruit, there is a particular risk associated with crops grown using Organic farming methods.
    So far, so good.
    When I come down with amoebic dysentery, I'll be sure to let you all know.

At least, I'll be the only 'animal' to have suffered.

;)
    TheswingisyellowDaozenzombiegirlKundo
    edited July 2013
    There is a greater risk from organic farming precisely because of animal waste. Fecal contamination from animals is nearly always the origin of such outbreaks in fruits and vegetables. It comes from animal fecal contamination in the water or the fertilizer, or some other animal contaminated source etc.

However, one does not need to inject fruits and vegetables with large amounts of antibiotics just to grow them and thereby, even if they do become contaminated, does not contribute to the increase of resistant bacteria. The only thing in farming that does that is the use of the antibiotic in animals. Fruits and vegetables are completely outside of that chain of cause and effect. So given that, it is still another good reason to steer clear of this meat regardless if vegetables become contaminated or not. Contaminated fruits and vegetables are irrelevant with regards to the continued increase in antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

Daozen
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited July 2013
    ourself said:

Daozen said:

If a single bacteria can be said to be sentient by association then the universe in its entirety must also be sentient.
    But then, can any single cell in your body be said to be sentient? What about a whole muscle? A bone? Your eye? What is sentience? Where is the sentience? Who is sentient?

Note especially comments between 1-2 mins in this vid:

person
  • If you cook the meat thoroughly you'll be fine, no kind of antibiotic resistance will offer protection against high temperature.

They aren't sentient so they can't be reborn

Where's the cut off for those who qualify for rebirth? Volvox? Sponge? Coral polyp? Jellyfish?

riverflow
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    Chrysalid said:

If you cook the meat thoroughly you'll be fine, no kind of antibiotic resistance will offer protection against high temperature.

Actually, the possibility of bacterial growth actually increases after cooking, because the drop in temperature allows bacteria to thrive. This is why keeping cooked food warmed to the right temperature is critical for food safety.

http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/basics/cook/index.html

But remember that in food is not the only way to get contagious by bacteria.
  • EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran
    This makes me think twice about eating organic... What about frozen organic veggies? Same deal?
    edited July 2013
    EvenThird said:

... What about frozen organic veggies? Same deal?

There may be some risk in eating poorly cooked frozen vegetables. For example, a 2007 Australian study found that frozen vegetables may contain a bacterium called Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis (MAP) which can thrive in extreme cold and hot temperatures.
    EvenThird
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @seeker242 Why are organic farms more at risk for fecal contamination? All sorts of farms use animal manure for fertilizing, organic or not. My entire city would reek of manure from all the farms and I'm pretty sure none of them were organic in those days. It's pretty normal in the country and once upon a time, this was all people had. Hardly something to be scared of, imo.

Realistically speaking, there is no way to tell if what you're eating was once covered in manure, so wash everything! I have a veggie brush for certain veggies/fruits. You can also buy fruit/veg wash that is supposed to be better. Get a salad spinner for salads (seriously, best investment ever). And if you choose to eat meat, just make sure you cook it thoroughly.
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran

The story of antibiotic-resistant bacteria in farm animals is not a simple one. But here’s the pitch version: Yet another study has reinforced the idea that keeping animals in confinement and feeding them antibiotics prophylactically breeds varieties of bacteria that cause disease in humans, disease that may not readily be treated by antibiotics. Since some of these bacteria can be fatal, that’s a scary combination.

Full Article:
    http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/09/breeding-bacteria-on-factory-farms/

This is what happens when factory farm owners and/or factory farm vets get lazy and greedy. Antibiotics shoved down the throats of farm animals as a prophylactic measure is really, really bad : on one hand for the farm animal itself, and on the other hand for the consumer.
    The thing is, that there are vaccines that can be used against most types of bacteria that affect those farm animals. Buying and giving those vaccine shots to hundreds of animals might be a time ( especially ) and money wasting thing, but a better solution than feeding animals with antibiotics.
    edited July 2013

@seeker242 Why are organic farms more at risk for fecal contamination?

The problem is mostly with non-certified organic farms. Studies have shown a marked difference in the prevalence of E. coli between the samples from certified and non-certified organic farms. Products from certified organic farms don't show any real differences compared to normal non-organic farms.

But, the issue of food poisoning is really not the issue here. The issue is really the continued emergence of "superbugs". Just washing or cooking does nothing to address that problem.

• Cooking properly will kill any superbugs in the meat or vegetables. If you leave cooked food you can get other bacteria growing on it, but those would be from the environment of your kitchen.

The simple facts are that your body's immune system is very got at dealing with most bacteria it encounters, if you clean, cook and store your food correctly you'll be fine. The exception are those people who are immuno-compromised. Worrying and stress are known to affect the immune system negatively, so being overly concerned about perhaps catching something from your food is actually more likely to make you catch something from your food.
    zombiegirl
    Yes that is true. But the problem is not limited to the food supply or just eating. Like the article says "“MRSA is an underappreciated epidemic in the U.S. — over all, that organism causes more than 18,000 deaths and more than 365,000 hospitalizations a year"

And from the study itself. "These findings support growing concern about antibiotics use and confinement in livestock production, raising questions about the potential for occupational exposure to an opportunistic and drug-resistant pathogen, which in other settings including hospitals and the community is of broad public health importance."

The issue is much bigger than food.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    What do you see as the solution @seeker242 ? My philosophy is that every item you purchase is essentially a 'vote'. By purchasing items, you are essentially telling the company, "I like this, make more of this." This is what caused me to stop eating meat for the most part. I think the easiest thing that most of us can do is buy organic/antibiotic-free as it's at least a step in the right direction.
    Chrysalid said:

Worrying and stress are known to affect the immune system negatively, so being overly concerned about perhaps catching something from your food is actually more likely to make you catch something from your food.

I just wanted to say that this is the part that made me laugh because as a person with anxiety issues... Trying not to worry because worrying is more likely to get me sick... pretty much sums up my life.

What do you see as the solution @seeker242

I don't know! :) Something like this is a good start. "FDA Issues Voluntary Plan to Limit Antibiotics in Agriculture" Although, it should be mandatory and not voluntary. And voting with dollars is a good start too. I think it needs more than that though, because many people just don't know or don't care.
    zombiegirl

• I just wanted to say that this is the part that made me laugh because as a person with anxiety issues... Trying not to worry because worrying is more likely to get me sick... pretty much sums up my life.

I'm the same. I know all about how stress affects the body, why worrying about things is pointless and silly and harmful, but I can't seem to get the message through to the stupider parts of my brain.
    seeker242 said:

Yes that is true. But the problem is not limited to the food supply or just eating. Like the article says "“MRSA is an underappreciated epidemic in the U.S. — over all, that organism causes more than 18,000 deaths and more than 365,000 hospitalizations a year"

And from the study itself. "These findings support growing concern about antibiotics use and confinement in livestock production, raising questions about the potential for occupational exposure to an opportunistic and drug-resistant pathogen, which in other settings including hospitals and the community is of broad public health importance."

An antibiotic resistant bacteria isn't some god-like death machine. Antibiotics are used to weaken a bacterial infection, they can't wipe it out alone, it's the immune system that really does the hard work, antibiotics are just a tool to make it easier. I think I've only had antibiotics twice in my life, once when I was very weak from recurring bouts of tonsillitis and another time to help clear a stubborn infection, otherwise my immune system handles everything. Where MRSA is a problem is in immuno-compromised people, people in hospital recovering from an operation are weak and as such at risk. Most people survive infection with MRSA, they might not even be aware they've had it.
    Chrysalid said:

I just wanted to say that this is the part that made me laugh because as a person with anxiety issues... Trying not to worry because worrying is more likely to get me sick... pretty much sums up my life.

I'm the same. I know all about how stress affects the body, why worrying about things is pointless and silly and harmful, but I can't seem to get the message through to the stupider parts of my brain.
    seeker242 said:

An antibiotic resistant bacteria isn't some god-like death machine. Antibiotics are used to weaken a bacterial infection, they can't wipe it out alone, it's the immune system that really does the hard work, antibiotics are just a tool to make it easier. I think I've only had antibiotics twice in my life, once when I was very weak from recurring bouts of tonsillitis and another time to help clear a stubborn infection, otherwise my immune system handles everything. Where MRSA is a problem is in immuno-compromised people, people in hospital recovering from an operation are weak and as such at risk. Most people survive infection with MRSA, they might not even be aware they've had it.
    I disagree with that.

After antibiotics: what happens when the drugs don't work

• Transplant surgery becomes virtually impossible. Organ recipients have to take immune-suppressing drugs for life to stop rejection of a new heart or kidney. Their immune systems cannot fight off life-threatening infections without antibiotics.
    • Removing a burst appendix becomes a dangerous operation once again. Patients are routinely given antibiotics after surgery to prevent the wound becoming infected by bacteria. If bacteria get into the bloodstream, they can cause life-threatening septicaemia.
    • Pneumonia becomes once more "the old man's friend". Antibiotics have stopped it being the mass-killer it once was, particularly among the old and frail, who would lapse into unconsciousness and often slip away in their sleep. Other diseases of old age, such as cancer, have taken over.
    • Gonorrhea becomes hard to treat. Resistant strains are already on the rise. Without treatment, the sexually transmitted disease causes pelvic inflammatory disease, infertility and ectopic pregnancies.
    • Tuberculosis becomes incurable – first we had TB, then multi-drug-resistant TB (MDR-TB) and now there is XDR-TB (extremely drug resistant TB). TB requires very long courses (six months or more) of antibiotics. The very human tendency to stop taking or forget to take the drugs has contributed to the spread of resistance.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/aug/12/the-end-of-antibiotics-health-infections
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    @Chrysalid I''m confused that you keep saying that problems with superbugs can be eliminated by cooking food better. You realize that the superbugs don't always come from the food, right? I mean not from the same food that has the antibiotics in it. That it's the antibiotics IN the food (which are not killed by cooking) that people consume so much of, that then makes antibiotics they are given in the hospital less effective, or entirely ineffective?

Example:
    I eat tons of factory farmed meat. As a result, I am eating the antibiotics that those animals were fed while on the farm.
    I get sick from bacteria on raw spinach caused by cow feces, and need antibiotics for a bad infection.
    Antibiotics do nothing because the germ I have contracted has become immune to those antibiotics because they are so extremely common, and the same type of antibiotic that the cows are given on the farm. So, the drugs that normally would save my life, no longer work. Cooking the food does not make that problem go away.

When I was a kid, I was on antibx all the time. I had chronic ear infections, and when I got a little older, strep throat 2-3 times a year for 10 years straight. I've been very cautious in allowing my children to have them, preferring to treat ear infections and other things with more natural methods.

I wish we had a longer growing season, I wouldn't buy anything from the store, lol. The only fertilizer we use is the compost we make.
  • karasti said:

@Chrysalid I''m confused that you keep saying that problems with superbugs can be eliminated by cooking food better. You realize that the superbugs don't always come from the food, right?

Yes.
    karasti said:

I mean not from the same food that has the antibiotics in it. That it's the antibiotics IN the food (which are not killed by cooking) that people consume so much of, that then makes antibiotics they are given in the hospital less effective, or entirely ineffective?

Example:
    I eat tons of factory farmed meat. As a result, I am eating the antibiotics that those animals were fed while on the farm.
    I get sick from bacteria on raw spinach caused by cow feces, and need antibiotics for a bad infection.
    Antibiotics do nothing because the germ I have contracted has become immune to those antibiotics because they are so extremely common, and the same type of antibiotic that the cows are given on the farm. So, the drugs that normally would save my life, no longer work. Cooking the food does not make that problem go away.

It's not you consuming the antibiotics that is the problem. It's that the bacteria you contract from the contaminated spinach is already resistant because the cows are being given antibiotics, not you. You can take as many antibiotics as you like and it won't affect the resistance of the bacteria that enter your body, because they've developed that resistance before you come into contact with them.

I haven't said excessive antibiotic usage isn't a bad thing, only that if you cook meat properly you won't catch anything from it, antibiotic resistant or otherwise. Raw food is obviously a different matter.

I disagree with that.

• Transplant surgery becomes virtually impossible. Organ recipients have to take immune-suppressing drugs for life to stop rejection of a new heart or kidney. Their immune systems cannot fight off life-threatening infections without antibiotics.
    • Removing a burst appendix becomes a dangerous operation once again. Patients are routinely given antibiotics after surgery to prevent the wound becoming infected by bacteria. If bacteria get into the bloodstream, they can cause life-threatening septicaemia.
    • Pneumonia becomes once more "the old man's friend". Antibiotics have stopped it being the mass-killer it once was, particularly among the old and frail, who would lapse into unconsciousness and often slip away in their sleep. Other diseases of old age, such as cancer, have taken over.
    • Gonorrhea becomes hard to treat. Resistant strains are already on the rise. Without treatment, the sexually transmitted disease causes pelvic inflammatory disease, infertility and ectopic pregnancies.
    • Tuberculosis becomes incurable – first we had TB, then multi-drug-resistant TB (MDR-TB) and now there is XDR-TB (extremely drug resistant TB). TB requires very long courses (six months or more) of antibiotics. The very human tendency to stop taking or forget to take the drugs has contributed to the spread of resistance.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/aug/12/the-end-of-antibiotics-health-infections

You disagree with what?
    What I've told you is what antibiotics are used for and how they work, if you disagree with that you disagree with nature.
    To clarify the article, someone on immunosuppresents doesn't lack an immune system, it's just weakened. They're given antibiotics to prop up the immune system, not replace it. The drugs keep the bacterial numbers to a manageable amount, allowing time for the suppressed immune system to react and develop sufficient antibody producing B-cells to deal with the infection.

I work with antibiotics in-vitro (outside of living organisms) everyday, they're really only useful for killing small numbers of bacteria, to prevent infection at the low-level stages. They're pretty useless at dealing with an established bacterial colony, they'll bring the numbers down sure but ultimately the bacteria will prevail without an immune system to do the hard work and develop an immunity.
    Chrysalid said:

You disagree with what?
    What I've told you is what antibiotics are used for and how they work, if you disagree with that you disagree with nature.
    To clarify the article, someone on immunosuppresents doesn't lack an immune system, it's just weakened. They're given antibiotics to prop up the immune system, not replace it. The drugs keep the bacterial numbers to a manageable amount, allowing time for the suppressed immune system to react and develop sufficient antibody producing B-cells to deal with the infection.

I work with antibiotics in-vitro (outside of living organisms) everyday, they're really only useful for killing small numbers of bacteria, to prevent infection at the low-level stages. They're pretty useless at dealing with an established bacterial colony, they'll bring the numbers down sure but ultimately the bacteria will prevail without an immune system to do the hard work and develop an immunity.

I'm not desagree with your explanation about how antibiotics works. But I desagree that antibiotics resistant bacteria are not a big deal. Antibiotics for bad or good is a practical method that medicine actually have to treat bacterial infections. And yes, is a big deal for example if tuberculosis become antibiotics resistant, or when other method are inefficient to treat bacterial infections.

Remember that in the past we already deal with god-like death machine bacterias when antibiotics wasn't around yet.

• I'm not desagree with your explanation about how antibiotics works. But I desagree that antibiotics resistant bacteria are not a big deal. Antibiotics for bad or good is a practical method that medicine actually have to treat bacterial infections. And yes, is a big deal for example if tuberculosis become antibiotics resistant, or when other method are inefficient to treat bacterial infections.

Remember that in the past we already deal with god-like death machine bacterias when antibiotics wasn't around yet.

All good reasons why doctors shouldn't prescribe antibiotics as placebos to viral infections as is common practice currently.

Still, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Did you know for example that the BCG vaccination against TB is derived from extremely attenuated bovine TB and it's efficacy can be as low as 0% protection? Yet in the West people rarely suffer from TB. It's partly because 90% of people infected with TB are asymptomatic, their immune systems easily combat the mycobacteria without even a whiff of antibiotic aid.

People at risk from antibiotic resistant and normal bacteria are those with weakened immune systems, such as those with HIV, and people who live in unsanitary conditions with poor diet.

Also, you're going to die of something and that's beyond your control. Eating well, living sensibly in a clean (but not sterile) environment and giving your immune system a boost with garlic, echinacea and other beneficial herbs are the best things you can do to avoid death by plague. Worrying about things out of your control won't help at all.
    EvenThird
    Chrysalid said:

I'm not desagree with your explanation about how antibiotics works. But I desagree that antibiotics resistant bacteria are not a big deal. Antibiotics for bad or good is a practical method that medicine actually have to treat bacterial infections. And yes, is a big deal for example if tuberculosis become antibiotics resistant, or when other method are inefficient to treat bacterial infections.

All good reasons why doctors shouldn't prescribe antibiotics as placebos to viral infections as is common practice currently.

Still, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Did you know for example that the BCG vaccination against TB is derived from extremely attenuated bovine TB and it's efficacy can be as low as 0% protection? Yet in the West people rarely suffer from TB. It's partly because 90% of people infected with TB are asymptomatic, their immune systems easily combat the mycobacteria without even a whiff of antibiotic aid.

People at risk from antibiotic resistant and normal bacteria are those with weakened immune systems, such as those with HIV, and people who live in unsanitary conditions with poor diet.

Also, you're going to die of something and that's beyond your control. Eating well, living sensibly in a clean (but not sterile) environment and giving your immune system a boost with garlic, echinacea and other beneficial herbs are the best things you can do to avoid death by plague. Worrying about things out of your control won't help at all.
    I'm agree with everything you say, but I think we have some control in this issue. And the "the you going to die eventuality" argument is good for not worry about, but not like a excuse to do nothing. Keep well informed about this and looking for a solution is not the same that losing night of sleep by it.

Anyway I totally understand you point, no need to keep arguments flows. :)
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran

But the immune system can fight off life threatening infections using some prophylactic measures. Basic hygiene rules included.
    Chronic intake of antibiotics will only make matters worse for the already-in-a-bad-shape organism. I'm not talking about bacteria getting resistance , but about liver and kidney toxicity and also lack of vitamin K and vitamin B complex synthesis ( if the AB is administered orally )

The surgery professor at my college's veterinary clinic told us about a study where it has shown that flushing the abdomen ( you gave the example of an appendectomy) with saline solution before closing the abdomen reduced the infection risk by 70 % .
    Infection risk during surgery is high if the basic Aseptic measures have been ignored. Post-op infections can occur if either the incision is not sutured and/or 'dressed' properly ( antibiotic sprayed) or if the patient comes in contact with some 'hospital' bacteria, and that's the most unfortunate thing that could happen.

Yes, AB stopped pneumonia from being a mass-killer, but so did hygiene and a good quality of life (in the civilised world). I like to think that ABs bought us time to 'better prevent than treat' such diseases.

Yes, resistant strains do that, but so can do non-resistant strains. There are some bacteria that don't manifest themselves in the genital tract of either male or female, but can lead to abortions and infertility. As I said above, better prevent than treat the disease.

There is BCG vaccine against TB. Also, there are immune system boosters that can be used. Also, and very, very important, there is this thing called HYGIENE. TB is considered a misery disease, and you can consider TB nearly eradicated in the civilized societies.
  • So we finally discover the origins of the American fundamentalist conservative movement. :wow: